Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
College Baseball thread

Just one spot remaining to see who goes to Omaha. Coastal Carolina and East Carolina play this afternoon for the final berth.

It was a crazy weekend for the regionals. Three of the biggest comebacks in postseason history happened, with the biggest being Okie State coming back from being down 12 runs to win by 14
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
miked
College Starter

Meh, Rutgers made the Big10 final, had 40+ wins and were snubbed with their only loss to Michigan. College baseball sucks!
Old 06-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This weekend made me remember why I never watch college baseball. All the pacing of MLB with 200% more hits and walks. I can remember when my daughter would have a softball DH at roughly the same time as the guys were warming up for their DH and we'd be finished with both games before the end of their first game.

I watched a couple of innings here and there, but sitting through multiple 4-5 hours games is not what I call entertaining. I did enjoy watching Miami get knocked out of their own regional before the finals, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just one spot remaining to see who goes to Omaha. Coastal Carolina and East Carolina play this afternoon for the final berth.

It was a crazy weekend for the regionals. Three of the biggest comebacks in postseason history happened, with the biggest being Okie State coming back from being down 12 runs to win by 14

Pretty crazy for Coastal to make it this far in the regional. Virginia went up early in the elimination game 6-0 then Coastal scored 7 straight unanswered runs to win then came out firing against and East Carolina team that had won like 20 in a row until then, and never looked back. Game starts in about 40 minutes
Old 06-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm looking at a college baseball scoreboard on ESPN and actually there are quite a few deciding games left besides Coastal today-10 or so. So lots of drama left today
Old 06-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Lots of baseball left for today.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm looking at a college baseball scoreboard on ESPN and actually there are quite a few deciding games left besides Coastal today-10 or so. So lots of drama left today

You are correct, my bad. Not sure what I was looking at this morning. Here are today's games to see who goes to the Super Regionals:

Coastal Carolina v. East Carolina
Louisville v. Michigan
Florida v. Oklahoma
Stanford v. Texas State
Maryland v. UConn
North Carolina v. VCU
Arkansas v. Oklahoma State
Arizona v. Ole Miss
Southern Miss v. LSU
Vanderbilt v. Oregon State

and maybe Auburn v. UCLA. Auburn was up 9-0 when the game yesterday was suspended. If UCLA has a comeback, there will be a second game.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Virginia Tech qualified for the Super Regionals for the first time in modern program history and will play the winner of Florida/Oklahoma in Blacksburg.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

We watched a fair bit of baseball the past few days, what with the "you gotta be kidding me" pairings (for my household) of both UT and GT and Miami and Ole Miss*

My biggest takeaway from the weekend might very well be how bad college baseball defense seems to have gotten. I knew that most teams suffer from a scarcity of pitching but damn, some of the defense was atrocious.

Some of the weakest #4 seeds I can recall in a while offhand, and some top seeds that felt overrated to me. Otherwise, a mixture of genuinely good dramatic games AND games with drama manufactured by not very good teams being paired.

*the kid actually opted out of watching that one saying, reasonably, "that's more stress than my life needs"
Old 06-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

hehe Jon's son. Looks like two or three of the early starts are now delayed. Unfortunately not Coastal as they are down 4-0.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #11
Ksyrup

They moved the Louisville game up from 6pm to noon to try to get ahead of the rain and it didn't work. But there may be enough of a window to get it in before the next round comes through this evening.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-06-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Looks like the rain delay hurt Louisville. Up 7-3, now down 9-7 since the game restarted.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

apparently Coastal made East Carolina mad...sheesh
Old 06-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal had a 2 run homer in the 9th to show they had a little spark left, but then it ended, 13-4 East Carolina moves on. It really was a good season for the Chants-at the beginning of the season, it did not look like they were going to have much of a pitching staff, and were the only SC based school to make the regionals.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
We watched a fair bit of baseball the past few days, what with the "you gotta be kidding me" pairings (for my household) of both UT and GT and Miami and Ole Miss*

My biggest takeaway from the weekend might very well be how bad college baseball defense seems to have gotten. I knew that most teams suffer from a scarcity of pitching but damn, some of the defense was atrocious.

Some of the weakest #4 seeds I can recall in a while offhand, and some top seeds that felt overrated to me. Otherwise, a mixture of genuinely good dramatic games AND games with drama manufactured by not very good teams being paired.

*the kid actually opted out of watching that one saying, reasonably, "that's more stress than my life needs"

I made the GT/UT connection but failed on the Ole Miss and Miami one.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Coastal had a 2 run homer in the 9th to show they had a little spark left, but then it ended, 13-4 East Carolina moves on. It really was a good season for the Chants-at the beginning of the season, it did not look like they were going to have much of a pitching staff, and were the only SC based school to make the regionals.

You can cheer for the Longhorns now to take down the Pirates.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:37 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
You can cheer for the Longhorns now to take down the Pirates.

That's okay still have Southern Mississippi from the Sun Belt to root for, (and almost Texas State!)
Old 06-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #18
Atocep
Coordinator

Tennessee has been in the discussion for best college baseball team ever this year and they got punched in the mouth by ND yesterday. They're currently up 1-0 in the 4th in game 2 but need two win this one today and game 3 tomorrow to get out of the Super Regional.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Tennessee has been in the discussion for best college baseball team ever this year and they got punched in the mouth by ND yesterday. They're currently up 1-0 in the 4th in game 2 but need two win this one today and game 3 tomorrow to get out of the Super Regional.

How dare you sir! The best ever team is clearly the 2016 World Series Winner, Coastal Carolina
Old 06-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #20
RBlant
n00b

I believe you meant Fresno State featuring one Aaron Judge!
RBlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:36 PM   #21
Ksyrup

That team needed 4 Aaron Judge's.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #22
RBlant
n00b

Still won it all
RBlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #23
Ksyrup

Wait, what? I don't remember Judge playing on the national championship team. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a freshmen until a few years later.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #24
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

UPSET ALERT!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:17 AM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It got away from the Vols with a quickness, that's for sure.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #26
cartman
Death Herald

The eight for Omaha are set:

Texas A&M (42-18)
Oklahoma (42-22)
Texas (47-20)
Notre Dame (40-15)
Stanford (47-16)
Arkansas (43-19)
Mississippi (37-22)
Auburn (42-20)

This is the 75th College World Series. This will be the 38th time that the Longhorns will appear.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

So much for being the best ever college team this year
Old 06-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
So much for being the best ever college team this year
Still a darn good team. On top of being a Vol fan, my cousin played baseball with one of the kids on this team from the time they were 6 years old. Given the question marks they had going into the season (replace 3/4 of the infield...LF moved to C...a good chunk of the pitching staff replaced). I wasn't sold on how good this team was initially. This was a season I'll take anytime.

I'm interested in what they do for next season. RF, CF, 1B, C, 3B are all gone. Possibly the 2B and SS. Tidwell as a SP is gone, the top two relievers are gone as well.

Maui Ahuna is coming in at SS presumably. Blake Burke takes over at 1B. Will Christian Moore move if Jorel Ortega stays to play 2B? Not stuff I'd suspect anyone outside of Tennessee will care about, but it keeps me going.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:26 AM   #29
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My wife wants to "root" for another team since the Vols are out...apparently I can't just route for them all to lose.

Most of my family are Arkansas fans, I suppose I could do that. I'm leaning more Texas or A&M. I do like Elko at Ole Miss and Sonny D out of Auburn, but I don't think much of either of those teams outside of those guys.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
My wife wants to "root" for another team since the Vols are out...apparently I can't just route for them all to lose.

Most of my family are Arkansas fans, I suppose I could do that. I'm leaning more Texas or A&M. I do like Elko at Ole Miss and Sonny D out of Auburn, but I don't think much of either of those teams outside of those guys.

If you've followed him, Elko has such a Kirk Gibson vibe that he's hard not to like. Last year's injury and performance cemented him as a program legend. The antithesis of a "sit out culture" player. The rest of the team, eh, typically non-descript overall. They're definitely the solid underdog choice in remaining field (last at-large into the field, etc) so if that's her thing they're it.

Notre Dame (having eliminated UT aside) is an interesting option for unattached fans. There hasn't been a midwestern team win the CWS since Wichita State back in 1989.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #31
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Elko is definitely a Gibson-esque figure on that team. I'm rooting for him.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #32
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just got scolded by my son for saying that Texas A&M need to get their crap together after their parents had to go to Omaha, Nebraska to watch them play.

He has his perspective as a player. I have mine as a parent.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #33
miami_fan
Coordinator

Glad I was not the only one wondering if there was a mercy rule.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:51 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure what to think of the CWS at this point (if Ole Miss hangs on for nine more outs)

Was the field seeded badly? (I personally didn't think so going in)
Did teams just get hot at the right time? (probably?)
Is parity more real than I / we thought? (maybe?)
Old 06-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

To paraphrase that great American philosopher, it seems like all the seeds had a plan until they got punched in the mouth. Once that happened, none of them could recover.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #36
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Aggie grad here. Gone all weekend. Did I miss anything good?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #37
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Aggie grad here. Gone all weekend. Did I miss anything good?

Y'all lost to OU on Friday. Might have been another game yesterday, but I'm drawing a blank.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:17 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Winner take all for Ole Miss-Arky tomorrow.

Good ballgame tonight, regardless of the outcome
Old 06-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #39
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a big baseball fan but you made me look. WPS !!!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you like old school pitching, today's Ole Miss - Arkansas game was an absolute delight.

Dylan DeLucia goes the distance with a complete game shutout for a 2-0 win that sends Ole Miss to the CWS Final for the first time in school history.
3 years since anyone threw a complete game in Omaha, 29 years since any SEC pitcher did it.

All I can say is that it was Maddux-like (except with more velocity), a performance for the ages. And it was necessary given that Arkansas got a great outing from Connor Noland as well.

OU will be a helluva challenge with their rested pitching staff but however it goes, the last two games between Ole Miss & Arkansas are some of the best baseball I've seen in years at any level.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good luck, Rebels.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #42
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If you like old school pitching, today's Ole Miss - Arkansas game was an absolute delight.

Dylan DeLucia goes the distance with a complete game shutout for a 2-0 win that sends Ole Miss to the CWS Final for the first time in school history.
3 years since anyone threw a complete game in Omaha, 29 years since any SEC pitcher did it.

All I can say is that it was Maddux-like (except with more velocity), a performance for the ages. And it was necessary given that Arkansas got a great outing from Connor Noland as well.

OU will be a helluva challenge with their rested pitching staff but however it goes, the last two games between Ole Miss & Arkansas are some of the best baseball I've seen in years at any level.

I just watched the game. Great pitching matchup. That shutout gives me just a little bit more hope that Ole Miss will keep OU under 10.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I just watched the game. Great pitching matchup. That shutout gives me just a little bit more hope that Ole Miss will keep OU under 10.

If only DeLucia could pitch all weekend (ala softball) I'd be more inclined to have some confidence.

The odds of 2 other pitchers matching that sort of performance tho? I ain't liking the odds. The extra game required to reach the final feels like it dims Ole Miss chances by a LOT. (which is how the ball bounces, I ain't complaining about it, just if-only'ing over it)
Old 06-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The odds of 2 other pitchers matching that sort of performance tho? I ain't liking the odds.

Okay, the odds of 1 out of 2 doing it are somewhat better.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:45 PM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hmmm, That is a tough call. I guess rules are rules.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #46
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sooner Nation may lose their minds if this goes against them.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Shockingly, the replays got both calls right I think.

The first was kind of obvious, the second had enough doubt that I don't think you could overturn.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #48
miami_fan
Coordinator

No doubt on the first one. If that is how the rule is written, then that was the correct call. I always thought the batter had to try to get out of the way but I guess that is not the case.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
No doubt on the first one. If that is how the rule is written, then that was the correct call. I always thought the batter had to try to get out of the way but I guess that is not the case.

The latter kinda cuts both ways for me, in this sense.

It would have required some pretty fast reactions to be able to intentionally move into a pitch going down and in like that. If I question whether the move into the ball was intentional on that basis, then I have to give the benefit of the doubt that he couldn't have gotten OUT of the way either.

I wish it had been more obvious but it just wasn't for me.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incredible. I mean, 7-14 in the conference, last team into the field.

Don't let the Rebs get hot indeed.