Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #301
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I disagree that they've already been out there. Her drug addiction and stealing drugs never really surfaced in 2000 because the Bush campaign used the "illegitimate child" angle as the main sliming story during that campaign, and then the nomination was over.

And then McCain's use of Cindy's private jet to campaign (in contravention of campaign finance rules) is new to this cycle, so it may see the light of day, especially if the McCain camp keeps on harping on Obama's campaign finance "flip-flop".

Having said that, it'll probably be Democratic 527s that do these particular attacks, not the Obama campaign itself. Likewise for GOP attacks on Michelle Obama.

A couple of things here...

I was pointing out that Cindy's drug "problem" is pretty common knowledge to most folks with any interest in politics. If things get ugly, it will get hammered. I think some of the things that make her "elite" could also get a lot of play -- the fact that she bought a plane and took flying lessons without her husband knowing (an anecdote she tells that, to me, reinforces how much more money they have than common Americans AND how out of touch they may be with one another), the fact that she essentially adopted a child without consulting her husband, the fact that she and John had an affair while he was previously married, that her teenage children have credit cards with limits in the 10s of thousands, etc. Things like these are not necessarily secret or can/have kind of slide/slid under the radar while things remain civil.

The stuff about McCain using her private plane and violating campaign laws should be getting a lot more play right now, especially in light of his mock outrage over Obama declining funds, but it is the type of thing that is too complex for most voters to follow or care about and is the type of thing that makes Dems look too eggheaded if they harp on it too much. McCain is a hypocrite when it comes to campaign finance laws and lobbyists, but understanding those types of "issues" AND caring about them is outside the range of the common voter.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #302
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I disagree that they've already been out there. Her drug addiction and stealing drugs never really surfaced in 2000 because the Bush campaign used the "illegitimate child" angle as the main sliming story during that campaign, and then the nomination was over.

At least Cindy McCain never killed anyone(that we know of)
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #303
Axxon
Pro Starter

Another trusty poll shows

Obama 69%
McCain 29%

134 persons polled.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #304
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Swaggs' post reminds me that I read the McCain's have credit card debt (on AMEX, no less) of over $100,000, that AMEX inexplicably allows them to carry over.

Well, maybe not inexplicably since I assume AMEX knows Cindy has money to cover it. Still, as others have said, some of this may eventually come out (and I'd expect 527s at least to use it).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #305
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Swaggs' post reminds me that I read the McCain's have credit card debt (on AMEX, no less) of over $100,000, that AMEX inexplicably allows them to carry over.

Well, maybe not inexplicably since I assume AMEX knows Cindy has money to cover it. Still, as others have said, some of this may eventually come out (and I'd expect 527s at least to use it).

Why doesn't she just have a black card? Maybe they do and just don't talk about it?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #306
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm assuming they have a black card, and also assuming that they don't have to pay it off each month.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #307
Flasch186
Coordinator

Kay Bailey Hutchison was hilarious on CNBC this morning. 'McCain's flip-flop is a good thing, they show thoughtfulness' (I immediately looked for any comments she may have made on Kerry regarding flipfloppedness but ran out of time). She than said we should be drilling in ANWAR....because there are no trees there, no forest. I find that hard to believe Kay. Then when Joe asked her if they patch the AMT tax how will they pay for the things in Bush's budget because he cites that money in his budget. She said "We dont need to pay for it." AHHHHHH, business as usual.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-26-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #308
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a bit curious about all of the ranting recently in the media about how Obama can't be president because he will refuse to allow for more oil drilling at home and we should elect McCain because he will allow it. If this drilling is so important to Republicans, why haven't we been doing more of it with a Republican president? It isn't like rising gas prices has been a surprise. We aren't just now figuring out that adding oil to the supply might drop prices and scare away speculators...
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #309
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm a bit curious about all of the ranting recently in the media about how Obama can't be president because he will refuse to allow for more oil drilling at home and we should elect McCain because he will allow it. If this drilling is so important to Republicans, why haven't we been doing more of it with a Republican president? It isn't like rising gas prices has been a surprise. We aren't just now figuring out that adding oil to the supply might drop prices and scare away speculators...

I am not much of a Republican lover but this post makes no sense. The republicans have for the most part suppoted drilling and have been blocked by the democrats. And the gas crisis (at least the $4 a gallon crisis) is fairly recent. So it is a huge story.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #310
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Of course, maybe the oil companies should start drilling on many of the leases they already have.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #311
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If this drilling is so important to Republicans, why haven't we been doing more of it with a Republican president?

You'll have to ask the Democrat-controlled Congress. Certainly, the Republicans would have had us drilling long ago if they had the option.

It's silly that the U.S. continues to follow this policy. The technology is there to drill for oil both in the sea and up north with minimal impact on the environment. Meanwhile, countries like Cuba are allowing the Chinese to drain these oil reserves not more than 150 miles from our coast with far less concern for their impact on the environment.

I find the argument that 'drilling won't have any impact for 8-10 years' to be pretty weak. There's no real downside to drilling. Worst case, we have an increase in oil production down the road that will assist in our supply issue. Best case, we already have alternatives up and running and the extra oil provides a cushion that will further reduce our need for foreign fuel or hopefully remove it altogether.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #312
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Kay Bailey Hutchinson would be a terrific pick for McCain. If I was running his campaign, I would suggest that over and over again until he said yes.

Nah. She's perceived as too close to big oil. Wrong year for that.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #313
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You'll have to ask the Democrat-controlled Congress. Certainly, the Republicans would have had us drilling long ago if they had the option.

It's silly that the U.S. continues to follow this policy. The technology is there to drill for oil both in the sea and up north with minimal impact on the environment. Meanwhile, countries like Cuba are allowing the Chinese to drain these oil reserves not more than 150 miles from our coast with far less concern for their impact on the environment.

I find the argument that 'drilling won't have any impact for 8-10 years' to be pretty weak. There's no real downside to drilling. Worst case, we have an increase in oil production down the road that will assist in our supply issue. Best case, we already have alternatives up and running and the extra oil provides a cushion that will further reduce our need for foreign fuel or hopefully remove it altogether.

We've had a Democrat controlled Congress recently, but didn't we have a Republican controlled Congress during Bush's first term? I just don't remember hearing much talk about drilling locally before it became a campaign point. I've also heard predictions for quite a while that gas would hit $4/gallon. It seems rather silly that nobody really planned for it until it actually happened.

I'd love to see the decision to drill happen just to make all of the speculators scatter. People keep saying that just the threat of drilling will cause prices to drop, so I say start threatening and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #314
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
We've had a Democrat controlled Congress recently, but didn't we have a Republican controlled Congress during Bush's first term?

The Republicans controlled the White House and Congress for six years between 2000 and 2006 and did virtually nothing. GWB was even opposed to offshore drilling off of Florida (largely because of brother Jeb's anti-drilling stance).
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #315
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
We've had a Democrat controlled Congress recently, but didn't we have a Republican controlled Congress during Bush's first term? I just don't remember hearing much talk about drilling locally before it became a campaign point. I've also heard predictions for quite a while that gas would hit $4/gallon. It seems rather silly that nobody really planned for it until it actually happened.

I'd love to see the decision to drill happen just to make all of the speculators scatter. People keep saying that just the threat of drilling will cause prices to drop, so I say start threatening and see what happens.

The prices weren't as much of an issue during the first term. People didn't truly reach a pain threshold in regards to prices until his second term.

This NewsHour transcript is pretty telling to me in regards to the arguments for/against the drilling. While one person is dramatizing the 'permanant scarring of the land', a Native Alaskan who lives in the area notes that, despite the native population's initial concerns in the early 1970s, the footprint of the oil drills has decreased ten-fold since the 1970s and that the caribou population is thriving with very little impact taking place at this point.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/envir...anwr_11-2.html
Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #316
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The Republicans controlled the White House and Congress for six years between 2000 and 2006 and did virtually nothing. GWB was even opposed to offshore drilling off of Florida (largely because of brother Jeb's anti-drilling stance).

Florida has changed quite a bit in that regard. I think we'll see a lot more of this in the days to come.......

http://www.miamiherald.com/campaign08/story/573350.html
Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #317
Flasch186
Coordinator

but apparently there's not one tree in ANWAR cuz I was concerned that it was, y'know, wilderness and all.

---based on what KB Hutchison said today.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-26-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #318
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Like between 2000 and 2006?

Quote:
Meanwhile, countries like Cuba are allowing the Chinese to drain these oil reserves not more than 150 miles from our coast with far less concern for their impact on the environment.

O RLY?

Senator Mel Martinez (R-Fla):

Quote:
Yet no one can prove that the Chinese are drilling anywhere off Cuba's shoreline. The China-Cuba connection is "akin to urban legend," said Sen. Mel Martinez, a Republican from Florida who opposes drilling off the coast of his state but who backs exploration in ANWR.

"China is not drilling in Cuba's Gulf of Mexico waters, period," said Jorge Pinon, an energy fellow with the Center for Hemispheric Policy at the University of Miami and an expert in oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Martinez cited Pinon's research when he took to the Senate floor Wednesday to set the record straight.

Vice President Richard Cheney (R-Pure Evil):

Quote:
Vice President Dick Cheney's office has acknowledged that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.
In a speech to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Cheney said on Wednesday that waters in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, long off limits to oil companies, should be opened to drilling because China is already there pumping oil.

''Oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida,'' the vice president said. ``We're not doing it, the Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government. Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to high prices is more supply.''

He cited his source as columnist George Will, who last week wrote: ``Drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are.''

Congressional Democrats pounced on the vice president's remarks and were backed up by independent energy experts, who called the assertion hyperbole at best and a falsehood at worst.

Cheney's office said in a statement to The Associated Press Thursday that the vice president had erred.

''It is our understanding that, although Cuba has leased out exploration blocks 60 miles off the coast of southern Florida, which is closer than American firms are allowed to operate in that area, no Chinese firm is drilling there,'' according to the statement.

Quote:
There's no real downside to drilling.

Aside from the release of contaminants (planned or accidental) into the environment, of course.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #319
Flasch186
Coordinator

I'll never forget Cheney lying in the debate and John Edwards hammering him repeatedly on it. Over and over and over. The questioner had moved on to something less important and Edwards would go, "Ill answer your question in a second but first....Dick, you said, not 30 seconds ago...." too funny, had me on my feet.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-26-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #320
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
O RLY?

Here's another example since I obviously missed the correction on that example. No drilling on the Great Lakes on the U.S. side while Canada has over 1,000 rigs in Lake Erie alone.

http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/z...reat_lakes.htm

Quote:
Aside from the release of contaminants (planned or accidental) into the environment, of course.

Great. Let's assume you're right in this point. What would be the alternative? I have no political preference in this fight as I just want cheaper prices. I could blame both parties as they've both had full power at some point since the Carter administration. But that doesn't do a lick of good. Are we arguing who the bigger morons are or what is the best way to resolve the issue?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #321
molson
General Manager

I would put a ton of money on Obama to win this thing - I wonder where the weird internet gambling sites put the odds (can't check at work).

And I think we need a little more pain to get off oil, it'll be worth it in the long run. Environmentally, politically, security-wise. I would be all for drilling if our consumption could continue to go down.

Last edited by molson : 06-26-2008 at 11:27 AM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #322
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I think we need a little more pain to get off oil, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Absolutely. Politicians need their feet to the fire. One of the quickest ways for that to happen is for economic forces to push those buttons to the point where the public starts to push for change.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #323
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
No drilling on the Great Lakes on the U.S. side while Canada has over 1,000 rigs in Lake Erie alone.

As I stated before, though, there are a lot of unused drilling leases currently held by oil companies on U.S. soil. As such, the absence of rigs on U.S. soil may not necessarily indicate that the oil companies don't have permission to drill, but that they haven't bothered to. In this light, their lobbying to get yet more regions opened up for drilling is merely a land grab.

Not that I blame them. They are businesses, after all. They should be looking to acquire as many leases as possible, as it helps their business in the long term. However we, as the landowners, have the right and responsibility to ask them why they aren't developing the land we already leased to them.

Quote:
Are we arguing who the bigger morons are or what is the best way to resolve the issue?

On the pollution front I'm arguing that the short-term relief (which is not guaranteed anyway) we'd get on petroleum prices from expanded drilling is not worth the long-term price in environmental damage.

This is my opinion, based on my own personal values. You or many other people may not agree with my judgment, and I accept that.

On the issue of the high price of oil, I'm arguing that the remedies being offered by the oil companies, their lobbyists and their surrogates in Congress and the White House are demonstrably ephemeral at best, and possibly counter-productive at worst. It is long past time we started looking seriously at conservation and alternative sources of energy, and if this is the kick in the pants we need to get really moving on those, then so be it. I also don't buy the counter-argument that it'll put us as at a competitive disadvantage largely because it puts pretty much everyone as the same competitive disadvantage.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #324
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Absolutely. Politicians need their feet to the fire. One of the quickest ways for that to happen is for economic forces to push those buttons to the point where the public starts to push for change.

Well, wouldn't this be an argument against drilling?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #325
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I would put a ton of money on Obama to win this thing - I wonder where the weird internet gambling sites put the odds (can't check at work).

That would be a sucker bet, because Obama is about a 2 to 1 favorite right now. The true value right now should be about 5 to 4. I think QuikSand bought a bunch of McCain stock a couple of months ago at about .30, which has a huge amount of value. Unless McCain dies before the election, Quik will be able to sell that off for a decent profit later this fall.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #326
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

^^ Right around the Republican Convention, I should think.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #327
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well, wouldn't this be an argument against drilling?

Not necessarily. We still need something to hold us over until the new technologies are in place. Just because we don't want to be dependent on oil, especially foreign oil, in the future doesn't mean you abandon it as a fuel source over the next 10-20 years. That need still must be met.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #328
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Not necessarily. We still need something to hold us over until the new technologies are in place. Just because we don't want to be dependent on oil, especially foreign oil, in the future doesn't mean you abandon it as a fuel source over the next 10-20 years. That need still must be met.

Definitely. You can't replace foreign oil with domestic drilling obviously, but maybe you could come closer if people consumed WAY less, and the technology was WAY better. And the former would happen because gas would cost way more.

But just drilling more domestically now with no other changes, for possible minor relief, is just silly and short-sighted. It's just a way to pander to the masses.

Last edited by molson : 06-26-2008 at 11:59 AM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #329
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It is long past time we started looking seriously at conservation and alternative sources of energy, and if this is the kick in the pants we need to get really moving on those, then so be it. I also don't buy the counter-argument that it'll put us as at a competitive disadvantage largely because it puts pretty much everyone as the same competitive disadvantage.

So my guess is that you'd be in support of the "Energy X-Prize" idea that McCain proposed that offers incentive to private companies/individuals to essentially expedite a move to a more energy efficient engine in a timely manner that would not occur in the conventional setup that we currently have? Similar prizes have done wonders in the flight and space industries to boost innovative ideas.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #330
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
So my guess is that you'd be in support of the "Energy X-Prize" idea that McCain proposed that offers incentive to private companies/individuals to essentially expedite a move to a more energy efficient engine in a timely manner that would not occur in the conventional setup that we currently have? Similar prizes have done wonders in the flight and space industries to boost innovative ideas.

Actually, I find it ironic that McCain, of the supposedly free-market GOP, feels that it's necessary to have government subsidize the development of a technology that, if created, would certainly reap its creator billions of dollars in revenue.

I'm generally in favor of "X-Prizes" for technological developments that won't necessarily have an immediate payback for their creators (like the Spaceflight one, for instance). This creates an incentive, as you say, for such developments.

I guess I don't see why we should need to do an X-Prize-style award for a considerably more energy efficient engine when there's plenty of demand for such an engine already and the market would certainly reward anyone who brought one to market.

Sounds like a typical liberal big-government, loose-spending, Democratic ploy to me.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-26-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #331
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This seems like a no-brainer idea. What is the normal payout for something like this...1 million? 10 million? Whatever it is, we get the private sector to spend way more doing their own research and development. Tap the experts that are out there and offer a big payday for their work. Everybody wins.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #332
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm definitely going to point back to this page in this thread the next time JiMGA or Arles calls me a big-government Socialist.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-26-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #333
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess I don't see why we should need to do an X-Prize-style award for a considerably more energy efficient engine when there's plenty of demand for such an engine already and the market would certainly reward anyone who brought one to market.

In my mind, the x-prize would have to be for some sort of alternate-fuel engine, not just a more efficient gas-run engine. Market rewards for this wouldn't necessarily be immediate because of the infrastructure required to deliver this fuel. Seems like a good way to give some an immediate pay-off while they wait years for the alternative to go mainstream.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #334
larrymcg421
Head Coach

electoral-vote.com has lots of polls for today...

CO: Obama 49-44 (Quinnipiac)
MI: Obama 48-42 (Quinnipiac)
MN: Obama 54-37 (Quinnipiac)
MS: McCain 50-44 (Rasmussen)
TN: McCain 51-36 (Rasmussen)
TX: McCain 43-38 (Texas Lyceum)
WI: Obama 52-39 (Quinnipiac)

Also, some Senate polls:

CO: Udall (D) 48, Schaffer (R) 38 (Quinnipiac)
MN: Coleman (R) 51, Franken (D) 41 (Quinnipiac)
MS: Wicker (R) 48, Musgrove (D) 47 (Rasmussen)
NJ: Lautenberh (D) 45, Zimmer (R) 28

*Obama is only down by 6 in Mississippi? (Bush won by 20 and 17). He's only down by 5 in Texas? Wow.

*Bad news for Franken as his numbers have been dropping and he's running 13 points behind Obama.

*Lautenberg looked in trouble in earlier polls, but looks like he's sailing now.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #335
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
CO: Udall (D) 48, Schaffer (R) 38 (Quinnipiac)

Huh? Udall is running for Senate in New Mexico, his opponent is Pearce.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
*Obama is only down by 6 in Mississippi? (Bush won by 20 and 17).

Bush was a South governor running against a white guy from New England. McCain is running against a black candidate. I'm surprised that you're surprised at those numbers. I'd be surprised if Obama wasn't closer. No one should be surprised that he's closed in where large black populations exist.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #337
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Udall's cousin.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #338
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bush was a South governor running against a white guy from New England. McCain is running against a black candidate. I'm surprised that you're surprised at those numbers. I'd be surprised if Obama wasn't closer. No one should be surprised that he's closed in where large black populations exist.

Especially since McCain is an Arizonian and the base is already skeptical of his conservatism.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #339
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Udall's cousin.

Ah. I had no idea. That would be confusing, two Udall (D) Senators. Luckily they'll be from different states, but still.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #340
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Still, a 14 point swing is pretty big. And I figured race would hurt Obama in Mississippi as much as it would help him. Obama's numbers are about even to Clinton's 92 and 96 numbers here.

Whether it should be a surprise or not, the fact that McCain has to pay attention to states like Mississippi, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia is a pretty serious problem for the GOP.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #341
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Especially since McCain is an Arizonian and the base is already skeptical of his conservatism.

That would make sense if there were alot of undecideds in the poll, but that's not the case. They may be skeptical, but do you really think the conservative southern base disikes him so much that they're willing to switch to Obama? If so, then McCain should just quit now.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-27-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #342
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That would make sense if there were alot of undecideds in the poll, but that's not the case. They may be skeptical, but do you really think the conservative southern base disikes him so much that they're willing to switch to Obama? If so, then McCain should just quit now.

Let's not go crazy here. He's still ahead in those states and there's 5 months before the election with basically no campaigning\debates\dirt throwing. This race is just starting up.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #343
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Your Udall Primer:
Tom Udall = NM
Mark Udall = Colorado
Stewart Udall = AZ
Mo Udall = AZ/RIP
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #344
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Let's not go crazy here. He's still ahead in those states and there's 5 months before the election with basically no campaigning\debates\dirt throwing. This race is just starting up.

I'm just saying that if the GOP candidate can't hold on to conservative southern whites against a liberal African-American candidate, that's pretty sad. I'm not saying that's the case here. I was just responding to someone else's scenario.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #345
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm just saying that if the GOP candidate can't hold on to conservative southern whites against a liberal African-American candidate, that's pretty sad. I'm not saying that's the case here. I was just responding to someone else's scenario.

Really? What previous precedent do we have involving an African-American candidate to compare it to? You can be sure that there are going to be plenty of surprising results/exchanges during this campaign and you can also be sure that both sides are going to take some hits that they don't expect due to the unusual nature of this race (older, moderate Republican candidate vs. an African-American liberal candidate).
Old 06-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #346
larrymcg421
Head Coach

More polls today from electoral-vote.com

Kentucky: McCain 51-35
New Jersey: Obama 49-33
Ohio: Obama 48-46
Texas: Mccain 48-39

Senate

Kentucky: McConnell (R) 48, Lunsford (D) 39
Texas: Cornyn (R) 49, Noriega (D) 35

Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #347
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

McCains Defaulted On Home Taxes For Last Four Years, Newsweek Reports

Quote:
When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona. [...]

Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."

Don't know if the story has legs, but it's certainly not good press.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #348
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Don't know if the story has legs, but it's certainly not good press.
So far, the press has all but ignored the ever-growing list of issues McCain changes sides on (often from day to day), so I'd be shocked if this minor indiscretion raises a peep.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #349
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
So far, the press has all but ignored the ever-growing list of issues McCain changes sides on (often from day to day), so I'd be shocked if this minor indiscretion raises a peep.

This was my thinking.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #350
Buccaneer
Head Coach

An OpEd article today from our libertarian-leaning paper (referencing Obama's stop here locally):

LET'S WELCOME BARACK OBAMA

Barack Obama, welcome to Colorado Springs. As the man who stands a good chance of becoming the next president of the United States, please set your heart and mind on no other goal than great and sophisticated leadership of what's supposed to serve as the freest country on earth. You stand not only a good chance of getting elected, but you have the intellect, the personality and oratory skills to serve as one of our gifted leaders, in league with Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy and Reagan.

You promise change. So please take to heart the fact that more growth of federal services and powers would be the farthest thing from change. George Bush has spent eight years giving us big government, all intended to change and enhance the American experience.

Under the leadership of Bush, federal education spending increased by three-fifths in just his first term - to change things for children. He federalized an education system that had been localized throughout our nation's history. He created a prescription drug benefit, the first new entitlement program since Medicare - to change things for seniors. With the Department of Homeland Security, he created the largest federal bureaucracy in history - a change to make us safer. He proposed the first $2 trillion and $3 trillion budgets in history, changing our government's debt load. He seldom said "no, that's not the proper role of federal government." Bush was five years into his presidency before he vetoed a bill. He outspent any other president in history, trying to use government as a tool to change the world. The only visible move Bush made in the direction of a smaller, less intrusive government involved his nominations of strict, limitedgovernment, constructionist jurists to the federal bench.

"Government is not the solution," President Ronald Reagan said in 1981, after Americans had grown tired of a post-New Deal/Great Society big government economy in shambles.

In a 1996 State of the Union Address, President Bill Clinton agreed. He declared: "the era of big government is over."

By the time Reagan, Bush Sr., and Clinton were done, government spending had dipped to 18.4 percent of the gross domestic product - its lowest level since 1966. America thrived. During the Bush II presidency, government grew to consume 20 percent of the GDP in 2007, and the 2008 figure is certain to be higher.

Give us change, Mr. Obama, by giving us less. Don't tell states what their abortion laws should be. Don't try to give all Americans health care, a feat government can't possibly achieve without wreaking havoc. Don't increase overhead for businesses by imposing enhancements of the Family Medical Leave Act. Don't try to solve global warming by capping emissions.

Your goals are extraordinary. Nobody wants children to go without health care. Nobody wants Greenland to melt. But a president can't just give us better lives. Craft the country you envision not by force, but by leadership. Use your gift for communication, and your obvious love for this country, to urge people to greatness. Inspire and motivate, rather than promise dictates and mandates, and you may land in the White House. Anyone can dictate and impose. Only a genuine leader can inspire, motivate and lead. You could be that man. But tired old talk of government fixes won't get the job done. It didn't work for Bush II, and it won't work for you.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote