Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #151
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Well, I just downloaded the STEAM application, and it has been sitting on 0% on the STEAM - UPDATING screen for the past 10 minutes. It automatically goes to this screen when I start the program and when I try to install the Strawberry Demo...doesn't look to good.

Why did they choose to go with this company for digital downloads? I'm sure it's probably safer in some respect, but having to download an app, play the game through the app, etc? I miss the days of FOF, go to webstore, buy, put in liscense, game is yours. Sorry for the rant.

I've had no problems with Steam since making my first purchase last year, WWSM 2009, but it does seem to affect others. Home system, different ip's?
I don't know. Updates I've received from Steam have always installed in 2 minutes or less.

There are other DD options from SI to buy FM ( Football Manager 2010 - Digital Download Purchase Options - Sports Interactive Community) though that won't help you out in getting the strawberry demo.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #152
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Ugh that's frustrating. It's still a pre-order so why wouldn't the same price be in effect until the release date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I see it's 34.90 over at GoGamer.

Yeah, it is a little frustrating. I also can't see a reason why Amazon would change the price, it was their best selling point IMHO to make a buyer move from Steam and Friday release to Amazon and the save $10 but wait a few days to get the game option.

Then Sov posts the gogamer price of $34.90, effort appreciated though I won't personally be taking advantage of it. I know the first time I checked gogamer it was $39.99 so they actually went down.

As for me I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Steam this afternoon. Last year there was price changes, release day changes, all the way up to release day. I played that game trying to come up with the quickest way to get the game and pay the least amount of money(probably made three order\cancellations before staying with Steam). This year I'm not going to go through that again to save $5. Just not worth it.

So unless we have the US Steam release pushed back at the last minute, like last year to match Amazons release day, I'll have the game Oct 30 and no headaches
Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #153
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm on a Mac and so can't use Stream. Come on Amazon.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #154
watravaler
High School JV

Last question/problem/etc...downloaded everything through friggin Steam, and I hit launch game, and nothing comes up. The game is running, because I see it under my processes, but I have no clue how to actually get to the game. I'm sure there is a simple solution, and that this is a stupid question. Any advice?
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #155
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Last question/problem/etc...downloaded everything through friggin Steam, and I hit launch game, and nothing comes up. The game is running, because I see it under my processes, but I have no clue how to actually get to the game. I'm sure there is a simple solution, and that this is a stupid question. Any advice?
bypass steam and launch the game directly from the executable. From this point forward, you only need steam to download the full version - even the patches you can get elsewhere. Steam sucks ass.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #156
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
bypass steam and launch the game directly from the executable. From this point forward, you only need steam to download the full version - even the patches you can get elsewhere. Steam sucks ass.

Sounds good, but is there an FM .exe file on my CPU? I was under the impression that Steam was storing everything.

I'm looking for it!!!

Last edited by watravaler : 10-17-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #157
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you don't have to play the game through the app!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #158
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dude...there's a FM.exe file on your harddrive!!!!

i did it all year with FM09. it's so easy
Old 10-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #159
samifan24
Pro Starter

Let me ask you guys this, because it's one of the things that frustrated me about the game last year, but is the 3D view generally choppy on your machines? The game gives my Macbook five stars but the 3D view is choppy and "jerky" and never smooth until the ball goes out of bounds and the players slow down a bit. Is this just the way the 3D view looks or is it my machine?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #160
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

are you viewing key plays, or the full match?

i always watch key plays and assumed the choppiness was the game transitioning between one key play and the next, and i can live with that
Old 10-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #161
watravaler
High School JV

"Unfortunately, that isn't the case this year. FM is using Steams copy protection system, so it needs to be running to play it. "

According to a mod at the SIgames forums, Steam needs to be running to play the FM10 demo. Last year it wasn't needed...

steam is so poo - Sports Interactive Community
Old 10-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #162
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
are you viewing key plays, or the full match?

i always watch key plays and assumed the choppiness was the game transitioning between one key play and the next, and i can live with that

I am watching key plays only. The choppiness occurs when actually viewing a play unfold up and down the pitch. I am used to the start and stop of the individual highlights along the timeline. I'm referring to the choppiness of the actual highlights themselves.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #163
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Unfortunately, that isn't the case this year. FM is using Steams copy protection system, so it needs to be running to play it. "

According to a mod at the SIgames forums, Steam needs to be running to play the FM10 demo. Last year it wasn't needed...

steam is so poo - Sports Interactive Community

steam needs to be running i see, but u don't need to be online

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-17-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #164
watravaler
High School JV

Found out it doesn't have anything to do with steam, downloaded the vanilla version on my netbook, and again, while I can see the game is running by looking at my CPU's processes, I have no idea why my CPU doesn't "switch" to the game. It's a brand new netbook, no idea why the game doesn't start like it should.

Last edited by watravaler : 10-17-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #165
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Let me ask you guys this, because it's one of the things that frustrated me about the game last year, but is the 3D view generally choppy on your machines? The game gives my Macbook five stars but the 3D view is choppy and "jerky" and never smooth until the ball goes out of bounds and the players slow down a bit. Is this just the way the 3D view looks or is it my machine?

I watch the full match and the demo runs smoothly. Core2 duo with 4 gig ram and vista x64. Last years WWSM 2009 ran smoothly for the most part on my old P4 machine (xp, 2 gig ram) with the screen occasionally freezing with players running in place for 1-2 seconds. This only occurred once or twice watching a full 90 minute match.

FWIW someone posted in a thread at SI that they had read in a thread the 3d test isn't working properly, though he didn't bother to link to it for confirmation. Post 19 in this thread System 3d rating?? - Sports Interactive Community. Reading through it you see guys with 1 star running at high detail and guys with 5 stars having problems, so maybe it's true?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #166
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Found out it doesn't have anything to do with steam, downloaded the vanilla version on my netbook, and again, while I can see the game is running by looking at my CPU's processes, I have no idea why my CPU doesn't "switch" to the game. It's a brand new netbook, no idea why the game doesn't start like it should.

did you restart?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #167
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

For anyone playing in the EPL, what do you think about the amount of goals being scored (for the whole league, not just your team)? In my game it seemed a bit low so I did the calculations and the average was 2.40 goals per game by the time the demo ended in January. This figure is pretty close to normal although it is lower than any of the previous 14 EPL seasons (range 2.45 - 2.78), and far lower than this season so far which is a bit of an outlier with 3.05 gpg.

If anyone else can be bothered I'd be curious to know what the average in your game is.

Or even if you're running one of the other big European leagues it'd be worth posting, over the last 14 years the average gpg is fairly similar, with the Bundesliga and Eredivisie slightly higher and Ligue 1 slightly lower. EPL, La Liga, and Serie A are very close.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #168
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i could check in the La Liga game I just finished the other day...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-18-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #169
AlexB
Pro Starter

I've found that I can play using the 2d views through the chipset graphics - the game is good: has only a couple of UI issues from what I can see, with no majorly obvious bugs through 6-7 games.

The tactics creator makes life so much easier, the touchline shouts (not shits as I just typed - that's a different game altogether!) are a nice addition, although why they can take 10+ minutes to come into effect is beyond me.

It seems so much more than the frankly very disappointing last couple of releases, and although I am still not 100% back into the franchise yet, I think it will be a purchase.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #170
bhlloy
Coordinator

The only slight gameplay issue i've noticed through 15-20 games is that sometimes players are not agressive enough going after the ball, seems to happen a lot on through balls where the center back is right there and just ignores it, and I also had one ridiculously annoying play where the ball was sitting right in front of my goalie and he ignored it for a good couple of seconds allowing the striker to run on and tap in from 10 yards out.

I'm sure there is a calculation going on somewhere that is making this happen and these players have sub-par stats in the key attributes but it seems to be a little overdone right now.

But still thrilled with the demo so far, especially the performance on my system which is at least 3 years old.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #171
samifan24
Pro Starter

There's a very lengthy thread over on the FM site filled with others complaining about stuttering during 3D views of games. It appears that it isn't an isolated incident.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #172
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, is there a way to just auto everything but the basics to start off with? I'm so overwhelmed it's not even funny.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #173
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Ok, is there a way to just auto everything but the basics to start off with? I'm so overwhelmed it's not even funny.

i'd help you but since you were being classless in the NFL thread i don't think i will...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #174
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
i'd help you but since you were being classless in the NFL thread i don't think i will...

Now if was any other team seeing as your in MA...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #175
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

You could just use the tactic creator and play some of the friendlies to start off if you don't want to bother with transfers. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with training and staff hiring/firing in the demo.

You shouldn't auto the matches, you need to get used to those ASAP.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #176
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
You could just use the tactic creator and play some of the friendlies to start off if you don't want to bother with transfers. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with training and staff hiring/firing in the demo.

You shouldn't auto the matches, you need to get used to those ASAP.

Well I changed my formation and got players who I have on my team into those positions with green circles (natural or better fit). We've been winning our friendlies, just not sure if there's other stuff I should be doing that I'm not.

I'm the Wolverhampton Wanderers in the EPL I think (the team is right, not sure on the league, I play Man U etc...)
Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #177
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Chubby,

I'd make sure you have the settings such that your Assistant Manager makes most of the decisions. Watch the games being played out to get a feel for how tactics work, but don't make any real changes to what your AssMan says. As for transfers and the like, make sure you have it set to say "filter out unrealistic targets." I didn't see that for my first few months and was ready to quit because no one I asked wanted to play for me.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #178
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Well I changed my formation and got players who I have on my team into those positions with green circles (natural or better fit). We've been winning our friendlies, just not sure if there's other stuff I should be doing that I'm not.

Be warned friendlies can be notoriously fickle in soccer - not least because they're sometimes played against foreign teams who's season isn't in sync with yours (leading to either your team being hammered because they're fit as fiddles or your team hammering theirs because they're still in 'holiday' mode), you also have to bear in mind the competitive difference between the sides playing - ie. if you're beating up teams several divisions below yours it doesn't mean much, if you're playing very good sides though then it generally bodes well for the season.

Use the friendlies to 'get to know' your team - especially any new signings you might make.

Quote:
I'm the Wolverhampton Wanderers in the EPL I think (the team is right, not sure on the league, I play Man U etc...)

You're right they're in the English Premiership - be warned they're a relatively 'small' side but with a BIG history, as such their supporters can often expect more than is reasonable considering the players and cash flow they have in comparison to the big sides today.

In real-life they're presently just above the drop zone (relegation area) and are likely to stay around that level all season and will likely be in the dog-fight for survival come the season end (with it being 50-50 pretty much as to whether they'll stay up or not most likely).

Don't expect to win a huge amount of games and appreciate that a draw against ANY of the big sides in the division (ie. Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc.) is pretty much as good as a win, especially if you clinch it away from home.

When taking over a side in Wolves current situation I generally try and shore up the defense as solidly as possible, look for aging stars who are still solid and have good leadership and determination - you'll need players who'll dig deep and keep trying even when the results aren't going your way - defenders and hard working midfielders are the best bet to sign, Premiership quality strikers cost a FORTUNE and if you decide to go with signing attackers expect to blow your entire budget on a single player and then find he's somewhat lacking at the level you're playing at.

(best bet for strikers if to sign youngsters from divisions below you and hope one comes good in the future rather than try and buy an established player who'll want to be paid a fortune .... which you might find bankrupts the club should you get relegated)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #179
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

(oh and the bog standard 4-4-2 or a 4-1-3-2 is a decent 'starter' formation imho, I use 4-1-3-2 myself as its a nice negative formation and useful for stifling things if you're playing against clubs who are simply better than yours)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #180
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks! I pretty much just want to get acclimated to the game with the demo but didn't want to pick an easy team like Man U/Chelsea...

I like attacking so I switched to a 3-4-3 Diamond, no idea if the formation is any good but my players fit into it (they are green at least). We got waxed in our 1st 2 EPL games but they were on the road and well, we stink
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #181
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Thanks! I pretty much just want to get acclimated to the game with the demo but didn't want to pick an easy team like Man U/Chelsea...
Fair enough - good call avoiding the uber clubs imho; a lot of the fun for me is building a team.

If you want a more 'balanced' easier challenge then consider picking a club further down the pyramid - the play won't be as 'pretty' but you'll find it an easier learning curve and generally more 'forgiving' lower down.

Quote:
I like attacking so I switched to a 3-4-3 Diamond, no idea if the formation is any good but my players fit into it (they are green at least). We got waxed in our 1st 2 EPL games but they were on the road and well, we stink
If you play attacking football with an inferior side in the Premiership I'm afraid you'll find yourself on the wrong side of some pretty nasty hammerings generally.

Everyone now and then a Championship side comes up which plays nice, attractive attacking football and promptly goes down with their tails between their legs pretty promptly (Swindon and Watford being the more recent teams - both played lovely football imho) ... that isn't to say you shouldn't do it, BUT be warned its tough at the top ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-19-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #182
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Wait till I start listing features from CM 97/98.

Does the feature "Use 3-3-1-3 and proceed to OWN the opposition" still work?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #183
cody8200
High School Varsity

Marc, While your around. Any updates to the MLS (other than roster changes)?
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #184
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

My biggest complaint when playing MLS with 09 was that whenever i would trade with another team, the other team wound up releasing the players that they just acquired from me. Although I love the game it makes MLS almost unplayable for me because I had to make a house rule to not trade at all.
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #185
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I just saw that this is released October 30th, the day after my exam? Hmm. I wasn't planning on getting it, but that's some good timing...
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #186
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I get a boner every time Marc posts hints and tips on this board.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #187
Flasch186
Coordinator

bought via Steam. No problems with last years.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #188
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I get a boner every time Marc posts hints and tips on this board.

+1
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #189
aran
High School Varsity

This game is so much more newb-friendly than 09. Wow. Consider me hooked and excited for Oct 30.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #190
RainMaker
General Manager

Really looking forward to this after playing the demo. I got some choppiness too but chalked it up to working on a year old laptop that wasn't built for gaming. I wonder if those who have choppiness have crappy video cards or something.

Marc, any advice for a league to start off with as a newb? I was thinking of just taking a National team as I more or less know the tournaments and such well and it doesn't seem to be as confusing with transfers and stuff. Would that be a good place to start and then slowly moving over to a team in some major European league? I guess what I'm asking is what would you recommend for a guy who likes soccer but doesn't really know a whole heck of a lot about the players, teams, or leagues (but is willing to learn).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #191
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Really looking forward to this after playing the demo. I got some choppiness too but chalked it up to working on a year old laptop that wasn't built for gaming. I wonder if those who have choppiness have crappy video cards or something.

Marc, any advice for a league to start off with as a newb? I was thinking of just taking a National team as I more or less know the tournaments and such well and it doesn't seem to be as confusing with transfers and stuff. Would that be a good place to start and then slowly moving over to a team in some major European league? I guess what I'm asking is what would you recommend for a guy who likes soccer but doesn't really know a whole heck of a lot about the players, teams, or leagues (but is willing to learn).

Playing with a national team exclusively could be boring, as there is a game played like once per month unless there is a big international competition that year. Also there is little to do in between those games.

I would start with a middle league table team and delegate all the tasks you don't want to be managed by the assistant manager.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #192
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My suggestion is to pick out a team in a lower division. It is fun to try and build the team up to a point where you can get promoted - often with less pressure to perform straight away.

You'll also find that you develop a sort of fondness for that team in real life. I've never had a favorite team in real life but I started to like Colchester United when they were in the English Championship (one division below the Premier League) a couple of seasons ago. They were playing in a 6500 seat "stadium" and were knocking on the door of possible promotion when they hovered around 3rd place for a while. They have since dropped to the next division below but they are still one of the first results I look for each week.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #193
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
My suggestion is to pick out a team in a lower division. It is fun to try and build the team up to a point where you can get promoted - often with less pressure to perform straight away.

You'll also find that you develop a sort of fondness for that team in real life. I've never had a favorite team in real life but I started to like Colchester United when they were in the English Championship (one division below the Premier League) a couple of seasons ago. They were playing in a 6500 seat "stadium" and were knocking on the door of possible promotion when they hovered around 3rd place for a while. They have since dropped to the next division below but they are still one of the first results I look for each week.

Very true. My very first game was with Hull City (they were recommended to me as an easy team to take over in 2002 or so), and I've had a fondness for them IRL ever since.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-20-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #194
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post

I did something like this in the 2008 version of the game, but on a much grander scale. I took over a team in League Two. In 4 seasons, I took them from League Two to the Premier Championship trophy. It was absolutely sick. Managed to find two players that turned into superstars at virtually the same time. Everything seemed to fall just perfectly. I doubt I'll ever duplicate that feat again, but I'll sure as hell keep trying.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #195
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

After about a 4 year hiatus, I picked up last year's version and really enjoyed it for a couple of months. If the right deal comes around, I may make this new version my Christmas present to myself.

It sounds promising.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #196
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
After about a 4 year hiatus, I picked up last year's version and really enjoyed it for a couple of months. If the right deal comes around, I may make this new version my Christmas present to myself.

It sounds promising.

promising isn't a strong enough word. try "orgasmic"
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
promising isn't a strong enough word. try "orgasmic"

(posts photo showing DT masturbating while watching the FM2010 trailer)
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #198
cody8200
High School Varsity

I played last years version an awful lot. Not as much as I play OOTP, but a ton. I started playing with Real Salt Lake but it had some issues with me trading players and AI teams releasing them right away. It just wasn't fun. Then I started playing with Brighton and played for a year or two. I could never get a strategy that worked most of the time. No matter what, the results seemed random. This years seems better about that and I really like the new media interaction and newspaper subscription system. That all being said, I would really like to play as an MLS team and not have issues with trading. It's impossible to demo because the US teams aren't included and I haven't heard a peep from SI development if any changes have been made to the MLS setup. I guess I'll reserve my buying decision until I hear one way or the other from them or one of you guys can tell me if it has changed at all.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #199
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

not quite.

two things i don't do while playing FM - drink or touch myself. They both are too distracting/lead to bad decisions being made.

I made that judgement after a really really drunken FM-session one time where I made some stupid decisions with a long-term game
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #200
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Hmm. I'm not sure if I want to hang out with DT around the time the game comes out after all...

Anyway, you guys have talked about what kind of rating your computers have for the game. Is there a link where you can find this out, or do you have to download the demo to do it?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote