Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official 2009-10 College Basketball Thread

It's time once again. My FAVORITE sport is back. Midnight Madness practices can start as early as 7:00 PM this Friday (yes, I know that's not midnight). Preseason tournament games start in November. Here's a couple of primers. First, a preseason top 25 article that gives a good summary of some of the top teams.

Final Preseason Top 25 (and one): Distractions don't KO KU from top - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Second, a listing detailing all of the preseason tournaments and which teams are involved in each tourney.

2009 preseason tournament guide - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Exciting time of the year!

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Big 10 is going to be a war this year. Conference homerism I aside, I really do believe it's going to end up being the toughest conference in the Nation this year. You have MSU, Purdue, OSU, Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois in most preseason top 25's. Then you have Wisconsin who is always solid and Indiana who is going to be very young, but very talented.

No way I can even hazard a guess who takes the Big 10 title this year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Big 10 is going to be a war this year. Conference homerism I aside, I really do believe it's going to end up being the toughest conference in the Nation this year. You have MSU, Purdue, OSU, Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois in most preseason top 25's. Then you have Wisconsin who is always solid and Indiana who is going to be very young, but very talented.

No way I can even hazard a guess who takes the Big 10 title this year.

Hahahaha

Big East #1 fool
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton Flyers at #17 in the Sportsline preseason poll. They are in the Puerto Rico tournament the week before Thanksgiving vs. Georgia Tech in round 1, and if they can make it by that matchup will probably face Villanova in round 2.

Rarely has optimism been so high at UD for a team as it has been for this one. Hopefully the Flyers can avoid the injury bug and win the A10 title at last.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Samdari
Roster Filler

LOL at some of the joke (and not JUST Big 10 joke) teams ahead of Syracuse on that list.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
watravaler
High School JV

The Big Ten is stacked, and will be for quite some time. I know it's hard to believe, but it simply is. This isn't predicted order of finish, just a listing of the 8 teams(some think this is Northwestern's year, which would make it 9, but NU fans/pundits have been saying that for years, and Carmody has yet to take them to the "promised" land) that should be good enough to at least compete for an NCAA bid

PURDUE(Painter's underclassman are now upperclassmen, Final Four potential)
ILLINOIS(Weber's coaching has always been excellent, now his recruiting classes are excellent as well. Mike Davis is an athletic freak/ borderline NBA prospect at the PF position...think Joe Smith)
MINNESOTA(Tubby Smith has been a god-send, his teams are always solid, good for the B10's national rep)
WISCONISN(Bo Ryan's teams aren't pretty, but always tough)
OHIO STATE(Thad Motta can recruit with the best in the game, bottom line)
PENN STATE(Taylor Battle, the best player you didn't see last year is special, I love their head-coach)
MSU(Tom Izzo, enough said)
MICHIGAN(as long as Belein is around, good things are on the horizon)
-----------------AVERAGE TO BELOW AVERAGE---------------
NORTHWESTERN(Kevin Coble and company can compete with anyone, but the lack of depth always does them in)
-----------------------------BAD TEAMS------------------

INDIANA (Not for long, Crean will have this team loaded in a year or two)
IOWA (Not a good time to be an Iowa basketball fan)

Last edited by watravaler : 10-14-2009 at 02:24 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
LOL at some of the joke (and not JUST Big 10 joke) teams ahead of Syracuse on that list.

Syracuse is going to be a completely different team with the defections. They'll really need to play their way into relevance this year, it's not going to be assumed.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm really looking forward to seeing if Avery Bradley is the real deal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

So is the rest of the conference.

I'm sure he won't meet the ridiculous expectations of most fans, but that doesn't mean he won't be an impact player for Texas.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:

From what I've read/heard, his ball-handling is the only think that's questioned. If he can limit his turnovers/play the point, I think he will make a big splash as a frosh. Time will tell!
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Syracuse is going to be a completely different team with the defections. They'll really need to play their way into relevance this year, it's not going to be assumed.

They have better guys coming in than left.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
They have better guys coming in than left.

If that's true, they'll move up the polls (at least once they get through the intra-state early schedule). They're not going to get the benefit of the doubt like a more intact returning team.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
RedKingGold
College Starter

As probably the only 'Nova fan on the board, I'm extremely excited about this upcoming season.

Looking forward to catching a few games at the Pavilion.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If that's true, they'll move up the polls (at least once they get through the intra-state early schedule). They're not going to get the benefit of the doubt like a more intact returning team.

Kentucky is #2. NOT based on who is coming back. Washington lost their two best players and are 12th.

Some of the teams on that list are a joke. Sienna? Dayton? Dayton is a good basketball team, but top 15? No. Sienna is not top 25. Butler 11th? They would not finish that high in the Big East, there's no way they're 11th in the country. Minnesota? Based on what? Cal? Mississippi St.? The guys says that the only reason they might be a good team will never play there, then ranks them anyway.

You are right though, it will play out. Its not upsetting in a "OMG WE"RE GETTING SCREWED" kind of way, just the general ire I feel whenever I see rank stupidity in print.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Some of the teams on that list are a joke. Sienna? Dayton? Dayton is a good basketball team, but top 15? No. Sienna is not top 25.

Dayton has beaten Big East teams with regularity over the past 3 years. Beat Louisville on the road. Thrashed Marquette on a neutral court last season. Handed Pittsburgh their ass at UD Arena 2 years ago. Beat West Virginia pretty easily in the 1st round of the tourney last season. This team is pretty much the same as the team from last season. They deserve a top 25 place. Top 15 may be a stretch, but top 25 is not.

Not to mention the numerous Atlantic 10 teams that have come into the Carrier Dome and handled the 'Cuse.

Last edited by Butter : 10-14-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #16
MJ4H
Coordinator

Excited to see how much improved Arkansas is. A lot of people in here doubt Pelphrey based on the end of season collapse and the off-the-court problems, but I don't. I think he will get it done. Maybe not all the way done, but making the program top 25 competitive again, for sure.

Very anxious to see how Rotnei Clarke does this year. He was listed as the nation's best shooter in a recent article by Fox Sports, and I think it would be difficult to disagree. The kid is crazy good and insanely dedicated to getting better. I think this will be a break-out year for him, especially if Fortson keeps getting better and the true freshman Nobles can take some of the weight off of Rotnei at relieving Fortson at the one spot.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is a preaseason pick to finish 3rd int he PAC-10. They also have just 3 guards on the roster
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU has some of its highest expectations ever, having only lost one contributor (SG Alex Ruoff who was very solid, but often came up short in big games) from last season's team. Devin Ebanks is probably the most NBA capable player we have had in my lifetime and he has reportedly put on 10-15 lbs of muscle, so it will be fun to see what type of improvement he can make in his sophomore (and likely final) season at WVU.

Polls have had us in the 10-15, for the most part, so I will hope to see a relatively high seed in the NCAA and to be playing during the second weekend of the tourney.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #19
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Should be an interesting year for Washington. Despite losing Jon Brockman, expectations are high that the team can defend their Pac-10 title and make a run in the NCAA Tournament. Super frosh Abdul Gaddy (thanks Lute Olson!) is the big name newcomer, but the return of RS-Fr forward Tyrese Breshears might be just as important as he jumps in the mix of bigs looking to replace some of what was lost with Brockman graduating.

The Husky backcourt should be among the best in the country between Gaddy, Isaiah Thomas, Venoy Overton & Elston Turner, and Sr. Quincy Pondexter takes over the leadership role on the team and looks to continue his maturation into an impact player.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #20
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I can't imagine Avery Bradley not making an immediate impact for Texas this year. He's going to be a fun one to watch especially with Barnes' up tempo style.

Quote:
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Marcus Jordan Won't Wear adidas -- NCAA Basketball FanHouse

Central Florida freshman Marcus Jordan won't wear the school's "team shoe" adidas, instead, he'll be wearing Jordan brand. The word on the street is MJ influenced the decision.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-17-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another preseason ranking...........

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...son/index.html
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #23
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait to watch OU this year. Will be interesting to see how good we are or aren't.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #24
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I can't wait to watch OU this year. Will be interesting to see how good we are or aren't.

I'm really excited too. First time in school history we've had three McDonald's All-American's on the same team (Warren III, Gallon, Mason-Griffin). Should be a good year--although not expecting the same level of success without Blake. But, I'm looking forward to going to the games again this year.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #25
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Gallon looks like he will be a handful in the Big 12. Can't wait to see how he turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I'm really excited too. First time in school history we've had three McDonald's All-American's on the same team (Warren III, Gallon, Mason-Griffin). Should be a good year--although not expecting the same level of success without Blake. But, I'm looking forward to going to the games again this year.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #26
JeeberD
General Manager

I know I sound say stuff like this every year, but Coach Barbee has accumulated a ton of talent for the Miners this year. Louisville transfer Derrick Caracter is apparently in great shape and will be eligible in December, and Arnett Moultrie is one of the top sophomore big men in the country. We have a tough schedule that includes games against OU, BYU, Mississippi and Texas Blech...not to mention Memphis. If Coach Barbee can prove that he can actually coach and just not recruit the Miners could be back in the Dance for the first time since 2005.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #27
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I know I sound say stuff like this every year, but Coach Barbee has accumulated a ton of talent for the Miners this year. Louisville transfer Derrick Caracter is apparently in great shape and will be eligible in December, and Arnett Moultrie is one of the top sophomore big men in the country. We have a tough schedule that includes games against OU, BYU, Mississippi and Texas Blech...not to mention Memphis. If Coach Barbee can prove that he can actually coach and just not recruit the Miners could be back in the Dance for the first time since 2005.

With Caracter, there is no coaching only recruiting.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

Derrick Caracter? Good luck with that guy. In theory, he should be happy that he is THE MAN, but I'm sure it won't last.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #29
Groundhog
Coordinator

Going to a smaller school might be exactly what Caracter needs.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Not to mention the numerous Atlantic 10 teams that have come into the Carrier Dome and handled the 'Cuse.
Don't be afraid to mention them I need some good news for what seems like the 5th rebuilding year in the last 7 for UMass. Getting excited about freshmen only works when you think at least 3 of them will make it to their Junior year.

That being said, we do have some nice freshmen . Terrell Vinson was a consensus top 100 recruit, we have 3-4 more long athletic 3/4's coming in and a couple good guards returning in former Wake transfer Anthony Gurley (every transfer steps it up in year 2), Ricky Harris (the best scoring guard no one ever mentions) and sophomore David Gibbs (a very athletic point guard who is a superb defender). Unfortunately, we only had 2 post players last year, and 1 is fighting for a spot on the Lakers (Tony Gaffney - the clean man's Chris Anderson) and the other, Tyrell Lynch, was kicked off the team for character issues. I'd hate that move more, but the last guy with character issues we kicked off the team (Tiki Mayben) ended up bringing down Binghamton's team over state and federal cocaine charges, so in the abscence of NCAA bids I'd at least like to avoid national scandals.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Dayton has beaten Big East teams with regularity over the past 3 years. Beat Louisville on the road. Thrashed Marquette on a neutral court last season. Handed Pittsburgh their ass at UD Arena 2 years ago. Beat West Virginia pretty easily in the 1st round of the tourney last season. This team is pretty much the same as the team from last season. They deserve a top 25 place. Top 15 may be a stretch, but top 25 is not.

Hey, I spent one of the best weekend of my college years visiting 'the Ghetto' at UD, and have rooted for their basketball team ever since. I am very familiar with the team. I also have a lot of respect for the A-10 (I think they are a better basketball conference than the Big 10).

But, lets not confuse beating teams in the two or three biggest games on ones schedule with being able to go into a superior league and compete on a night in, night out basis. When Dayton plays at Marquette, that's one of the two or three biggest games on their schedule. Its at best Marquette's 20th most important. Dayton gets up big time for that game, while Marquette is biding their time until the league starts.

Dayton beat Marquette last year, but would have finished no better than 10th in the Big East. Any team with respectable talent can pull an upset or two - that does not necesarily mean they are better.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #32
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'll skip the obvious "KU's gonna rock this year, so long as they move past the off-the-court stuff of the past few weeks" rant and go straight to some of the other teams/players I'll be keeping an eye on this year:
  1. Oklahoma/Willie Warren: I absolutely fell in love with this kid's game last year, and I'm really looking forward to seeing if he can continue to perform now that he's out from Blake Griffin's shadow. I know everybody's falling all over themselves regarding Avery Bradley and Texas, but I really think OU is going to give KU the biggest challenge for a Big 12 title this year.
  2. Villanova/Scottie Reynolds: I've always liked Scottie's leadership and never-say-die attitude. Now he's a senior and you know Jay wants to send him out on a high note.
  3. Kentucky/Memphis: Part of me really hopes that Kentucky falls on their face this year and Memphis continues to shine. I dislike Calipari a lot...he's the definition of the greasy college coach if you ask me.
  4. Michigan State/Tom Izzo: I was born in Michigan and lived 15-minutes from MSU before moving to Chicago as a kid. While living there, a friend of mine's father was one of Heathcoat's assistants on the '79 championship team, so I've always had a soft spot for Spartie. And I think Tom Izzo might be the best pure coach in college hoops today...all the guy does is win, period.
  5. Purdue/Matt Painter: Painter's Baby Boilers are all grown up, and when a Sweet 16 team returns all five starters from the year before, you know that team's going to be good. There's some other talent in the Big 10 for sure, but I really think the conference title comes down to MSU or Purdue. Fortunately the messed-up Big 10 schedule doesn't prevent MSU and Purdue from playing twice this year.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #33
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Derrick Caracter? Good luck with that guy. In theory, he should be happy that he is THE MAN, but I'm sure it won't last.

Randy Culpepper (the first Miner in history to have scored over 1000 career points as a sophomore) might have something to say about Caracter being THE MAN. We should have a well balanced team this year after having to rely on Culpepper and CUSA all-time leading scorer Stefon Jackson the past couple of season...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
But, lets not confuse beating teams in the two or three biggest games on ones schedule with being able to go into a superior league and compete on a night in, night out basis. When Dayton plays at Marquette, that's one of the two or three biggest games on their schedule. Its at best Marquette's 20th most important. Dayton gets up big time for that game, while Marquette is biding their time until the league starts.

Dayton beat Marquette last year, but would have finished no better than 10th in the Big East. Any team with respectable talent can pull an upset or two - that does not necesarily mean they are better.
I can see where that argument comes from, but you're wrong in this case. Dayton is a legitimate top 25 team on talent, beat Marquette on a neutral floor to win a preseason tournament and West Virginia in the NCAA tournament, which I would hope is one of WVU's biggest games. 2008 they won @ Louisville and beat Pitt by 25 at home. 2007 they beat Louisville on a neutral floor and lost @ Pitt. They're not some fly-by-night Cleveland St. team that Syracuse might overlook - they have a top 30 recruit in Wright and have been a consistent NCAA bubble or better team most of the last 7-8 years. Plus, your logic works in reverse - every A-10 team is bringing their A game against Dayton (and Xavier). The Big East is a better conference no doubt, but Xavier the last few years and Dayton this year could easily compete and finish better than 8-10 like the 10th place Big East team (Cincy) did last year.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #35
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hey, I spent one of the best weekend of my college years visiting 'the Ghetto' at UD, and have rooted for their basketball team ever since. I am very familiar with the team. I also have a lot of respect for the A-10 (I think they are a better basketball conference than the Big 10).

Enlighten us on how the A-10 is a better conference than the Big 10. Could it be the A-10 one Final 4 appearance 13 years going on 14 years ago or the Big 10's 11 Final 4 appearances in that same time span. Of those 11 appearances, 6 different teams.

Last edited by Balldog : 10-21-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MBBF - what does this year hold for the Tigers?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I can see where that argument comes from, but you're wrong in this case. Dayton is a legitimate top 25 team on talent, beat Marquette on a neutral floor to win a preseason tournament and West Virginia in the NCAA tournament, which I would hope is one of WVU's biggest games. 2008 they won @ Louisville and beat Pitt by 25 at home. 2007 they beat Louisville on a neutral floor and lost @ Pitt. They're not some fly-by-night Cleveland St. team that Syracuse might overlook - they have a top 30 recruit in Wright and have been a consistent NCAA bubble or better team most of the last 7-8 years. Plus, your logic works in reverse - every A-10 team is bringing their A game against Dayton (and Xavier). The Big East is a better conference no doubt, but Xavier the last few years and Dayton this year could easily compete and finish better than 8-10 like the 10th place Big East team (Cincy) did last year.

You're the man. Us A10 fans have to stick together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Enlighten us on how the A-10 is a better conference than the Big 10.

Yeah, even I'm not that crazy.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
MBBF - what does this year hold for the Tigers?

We're absolutely stacked at the guard position. Tiller and Taylor run the ship. English will be back in the starting lineup as well at the 3 spot. Denmon, Paul and Dixon backing them up. Denmon should be better now that he's resolved his knee injury that slowed him down much of last year. Dixon is VERY fast and will upgrade our defense right away.

Not as much experience inside, though the talent is there. Ramsey, Safford, Bowers and Moore inside will be the rotation. These guys won't score as much as Carroll/Lyons, but they're better defensively.

Key for this year's team will be on the defensive end. Overall team defense should be improved over last year. Team speed is up (if that's possible) and the staff expects to break the school steals record that last year's team set. If Mizzou can improve their defense by 3-4 PPG, they should be in position to make the tourney again. Also, we can't afford any injuries to interior guys. The drop off after Safford, Bowers and Ramsey is pretty steep. There's depth inside (Moore, Stone, and Underwood), but it needs time to develop.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #39
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Dayton this year could easily compete and finish better than 8-10 like the 10th place Big East team (Cincy) did last year.

That's exactly where I got 10th place for Dayton. They are very similar talent wise to Cincy.

With the caveat that Cincinnatti would not in any universe have lost to Duquesne or St. Louis.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #40
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
That's exactly where I got 10th place for Dayton. They are very similar talent wise to Cincy.

With the caveat that Cincinnatti would not in any universe have lost to Duquesne or St. Louis.

Are you talking about the same Cincinnati team that lost to USF and Seton Hall? And the same Duquesne team that beat Xavier?

Or somebody different?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

While I love a good BCS vs. Mid-Major fight (on the side of Mid-Majors) - I don't know enough about the details of the A-10 to participate.

I do know that you'd probably have an easier time arguing that they'd be competitive in, well, any conference except for the Big East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #42
clemsonfan
High School JV

Good to see Clemson in the preseason top 25, but it makes me a bit scared. It seems like anytime Clemson is ranked in any sport, they fail to live up to it. I'm hoping Purnell will prove me wrong. And I really hope that if Clemson and Dayton make it to the tournament, they won't play each other. That might spell d-i-v-o-r-c-e in my house.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
While I love a good BCS vs. Mid-Major fight (on the side of Mid-Majors) - I don't know enough about the details of the A-10 to participate.

I do know that you'd probably have an easier time arguing that they'd be competitive in, well, any conference except for the Big East.

I don't really like the arguments that "X" team couldn't play in the Big East because they are a mid-major. All I know is they HAVE played the Big East 6 times in 5 years, and beat 5 of them. I am not delusional enough to think that UD would go 14-4 in conference or something, but to say they were not better than Cincinnati last season is just dead wrong.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #44
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you talking about the same Cincinnati team that lost to USF and Seton Hall? And the same Duquesne team that beat Xavier?

Or somebody different?
Plus Duquesne was 21-13, 77th in RPI.... higher than Cincinnati, let alone the South Florida/Rutgers/DePaul triumvirate of Big East suckitude Cincy went 0-3 against to end their season.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #45
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
Good to see Clemson in the preseason top 25, but it makes me a bit scared. It seems like anytime Clemson is ranked in any sport, they fail to live up to it. I'm hoping Purnell will prove me wrong. And I really hope that if Clemson and Dayton make it to the tournament, they won't play each other. That might spell d-i-v-o-r-c-e in my house.

No it wouldn't, baby. You'd just have to learn how to root for the Flyers.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #46
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thinking more on ourguard situation, every starting guard on UCLA for the past 6 years, has been a first round pick. I know Howland plays a slow offense which isn't very fun, but isn't the goal the NBA? Why UCLA doesn't have guards (well, ones that can qualify) knocking down their door to play, is beyond me
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
We're absolutely stacked at the guard position. Tiller and Taylor run the ship. English will be back in the starting lineup as well at the 3 spot. Denmon, Paul and Dixon backing them up. Denmon should be better now that he's resolved his knee injury that slowed him down much of last year. Dixon is VERY fast and will upgrade our defense right away.

Not as much experience inside, though the talent is there. Ramsey, Safford, Bowers and Moore inside will be the rotation. These guys won't score as much as Carroll/Lyons, but they're better defensively.

Key for this year's team will be on the defensive end. Overall team defense should be improved over last year. Team speed is up (if that's possible) and the staff expects to break the school steals record that last year's team set. If Mizzou can improve their defense by 3-4 PPG, they should be in position to make the tourney again. Also, we can't afford any injuries to interior guys. The drop off after Safford, Bowers and Ramsey is pretty steep. There's depth inside (Moore, Stone, and Underwood), but it needs time to develop.

Thanks... I'm excited!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thanks... I'm excited!

I'm sure this will make you even more excited. Here's a highlight video from the first half of last night's Mizzou Black and Gold game. Lots of little guards flying around scoring points. Great dunk from Bowers around the 2:00 mark. Kim English led all scorers with 32 points (should probably get used to him being the leading scorer). Dixon looked great as well. Enjoy!

Black and Gold Game, First Half - Rivals.com Video
Old 10-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm sure this will make you even more excited. Here's a highlight video from the first half of last night's Mizzou Black and Gold game. Lots of little guards flying around scoring points. Great dunk from Bowers around the 2:00 mark. Kim English led all scorers with 32 points (should probably get used to him being the leading scorer). Dixon looked great as well. Enjoy!

Black and Gold Game, First Half - Rivals.com Video

Good stuff!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big changes to crack down on third-party recruiting are likely to be implemented soon. Most of the restrictions are suggestions from coaches who are tired of playing the recruiting money game........

Dana O'Neil: Cleaning up college basketball recruiting from within - ESPN