Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #51
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If that's true, they'll move up the polls (at least once they get through the intra-state early schedule). They're not going to get the benefit of the doubt like a more intact returning team.

They lost 1 guy to the NBA. The others left because their ego couldn't hack ridingthe pine and they wanted to pay for their kids. Those two will be bagging groceries down the street soon...

Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #52
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm with Capel in that I have an issue with the camps rule. I know some of the smaller colleges in Kansas employ Big 12 athletes to help out and gives those athletes an opportunity to learn from other coaches. So it definitely hurts those athletes making money over the summer from camps. It's also a great way for a young coach as well. I know what they are trying to protect from, but I hope they make it easy to get a waiver exemption for athletes and young coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Big changes to crack down on third-party recruiting are likely to be implemented soon. Most of the restrictions are suggestions from coaches who are tired of playing the recruiting money game........

Dana O'Neil: Cleaning up college basketball recruiting from within - ESPN
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First Coaches poll is out.....

Quote:
1. Kansas (27) 0-0 770
2. Michigan State (3) 0-0 732
3. Texas 0-0 676
4. North Carolina (1) 0-0 653
5. Kentucky 0-0 635
6. Villanova 0-0 620
7. Purdue 0-0 586
8. Duke 0-0 528
9. West Virginia 0-0 501
10. Butler 0-0 408
11. Tennessee 0-0 406
12. California 0-0 370
13. Washington 0-0 364
14. Connecticut 0-0 361
15. Michigan 0-0 279
16. Oklahoma 0-0 244
17. Ohio State 0-0 241
18. Minnesota 0-0 151
19. Mississippi State 0-0 149
20. Georgia Tech 0-0 136
21. Georgetown 0-0 134
22. Dayton 0-0 130
23. Louisville 0-0 123
24. Clemson 0-0 114
25. Syracuse 0-0 111

Others Receiving Votes

Maryland 100, Illinois 83, Siena 72, UCLA 59, Vanderbilt 38, Oklahoma State 29, Missouri 28, Xavier 25, Gonzaga 24, Notre Dame 22, USC 22, Pittsburgh 19, Tulsa 17, Kansas State 16, Brigham Young 16, Florida State 15, Florida 13, Wake Forest 13, San Diego State 8, Creighton 7, Boston College 4, Texas A&M 4, Southern Illinois 3, Utah State 3, Cornell 3, Memphis 3, Mississippi 3, UNLV 2, South Carolina 1, Northern Iowa 1.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #54
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Big changes to crack down on third-party recruiting are likely to be implemented soon. Most of the restrictions are suggestions from coaches who are tired of playing the recruiting money game........

Dana O'Neil: Cleaning up college basketball recruiting from within - ESPN

I agree with the spirit of these rules, but in trying to clean up what is perceived as a gray area, they are putting in a bunch of rules about "people associated with prospects." Could that definition be more gray? Seems to be those super harsh penalties could end up being applied to someone who thought they were following the rules.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #55
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not too bad -- 6 Big East teams in the top 25 in a "down" year -- of course, if it is a coaches poll, the size of the Big East may skew the numbers (if the voter representation is based on the number of teams). I'm surprised to see Syracuse crack the top 25 with all of the players that they lost.

It looks like they are expecting the Pac 10 to have a down year.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #56
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It looks like they are expecting the Pac 10 to have a down year.
It is a down year - a lot of talent has been drained out of the conference the last few years, and not enough replacements that have panned out immediately.

With questions about UCLA, Arizona in a big transition phase, ASU having lost the two guys that carried that program the last couple of years, USC trying to overcome their scandals, Stanford in major rebuilding mode & WSU adapting to a new coach and coaching philosophy, it's a potentially pretty weak year for the conference.

Everyone seems to agree Washington and Cal should be tournament teams, but beyond that it's a jumble. Oregon State is a trendy sleeper pick, and Oregon could surprise a lot of people if their young guys make big leaps forward, and UCLA has enough talent to win the conference if the team can gel, but it's a weird year to project.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #57
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
Good to see Clemson in the preseason top 25, but it makes me a bit scared. It seems like anytime Clemson is ranked in any sport, they fail to live up to it. I'm hoping Purnell will prove me wrong. And I really hope that if Clemson and Dayton make it to the tournament, they won't play each other. That might spell d-i-v-o-r-c-e in my house.

Purnell was the first step in a culture change. I think Swinney is the 2nd, but I digress. If Clemson and Dayton DO meet up, well be nice to Butter because he will be an unhappy man.

I know I am prone to hyperbole when it comes to my Tigers, but I would lay a wager out right now that at years end they are a Top 15 team and Top 10 would not surprise me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I'm with Capel in that I have an issue with the camps rule. I know some of the smaller colleges in Kansas employ Big 12 athletes to help out and gives those athletes an opportunity to learn from other coaches. So it definitely hurts those athletes making money over the summer from camps. It's also a great way for a young coach as well. I know what they are trying to protect from, but I hope they make it easy to get a waiver exemption for athletes and young coaches.

Add me to the list of those seeing some unreasonable issues with that part of the changes.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Can't believe that preseason games start next week. Starting to get REALLY excited.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

For the Mizzou fans.....some practice video. You can tell the young guys are really busting their butt in this video. Trying to make an impression on the coach.......

Missouri Basketball Practice - Rivals.com Video
Old 10-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

double dola

Second KU player in a week enters a diversion program after pleading guilty to a DUI charge.........

STLtoday - Associated Press News
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #62
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Go Findlay!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
LOL at some of the joke (and not JUST Big 10 joke) teams ahead of Syracuse on that list.

Can't believe they ranked LeMoyne under Syracuse. I mean, that was pretty obvious.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #64
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa got a vote. That is pretty funny. Maybe Iowa can pull an anti Texas Western and win with 5 white guys starting.

I miss George Raveling and his recruiting genius.

EDIT: Nevermind. That is Northern iowa. Sad that this program has dropped so far. I, also, miss Lute Olson.

Last edited by tarcone : 11-03-2009 at 08:45 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #65
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Can't believe they ranked LeMoyne under Syracuse. I mean, that was pretty obvious.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Someone verify whether Jim Boeheim has any hair left this morning?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #67
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Someone verify whether Jim Boeheim has any hair left this morning?

He hasn't had any hair for a while

They always seem to play one clunker in the early season, hopefully this season the only one is an exhibition
Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #68
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post

They always seem to play one clunker in the early season, hopefully this season the only one is an exhibition

That was my thinking - but I think this might be a long season. Too young and immature.

I have very high hopes for the future though, starting next season. The recruiting classes keep getting better and better.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #69
RainMaker
General Manager

I was pretty surprised that it was the top SportsCenter story. It's an upset and all, but D2 teams beat D1 teams every so often in exhibition play. Pretty sure Findlay took out Ohio State a couple years ago and Grand Valley State knocked out Michigan State who was a top 10 team.

Heck, my alma mater beat 2 of 3 D1 schools one year that included Minnesota.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #70
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I was pretty surprised that it was the top SportsCenter story. It's an upset and all, but D2 teams beat D1 teams every so often in exhibition play. Pretty sure Findlay took out Ohio State a couple years ago and Grand Valley State knocked out Michigan State who was a top 10 team.

Findlay has been a great program for the last several years, they beat Ohio State in 2007 and in 2008 lost to Xavier and Dayton by a couple points.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #71
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oops, that could have been bad
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #72
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Not usually the echelon of Ohio State, Michigan State, and apparently this year, Syracuse, if some are to be believed.

It was pretty big news when MSU went down to Grand Valley a couple years back.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #73
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I was pretty surprised that it was the top SportsCenter story.

There was video.

And it was a slow news day. Had the game been last night instead of the day before, it might not have gotten mentioned.

I am surprised these games get mentioned at all. They are exhibitions, and the coaches clearly coach them as such. Not quite to the level of NFL preseason, but they definitely play reserves WAY more minutes, trying to see what they have.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #74
whomario
Pro Starter

Michael Jordan's son keeps his Nikes; UCF loses $3m adidas deal -

It´s valid to say that everyone should have the possibility to play with what feels comfortable, but still ... They better be real comfortable

Quote:

Marcus, 18-year-old son of the NBA legend, says UCF had promised when recruiting him to the school that he could wear the famous Jordan brand.

and why would you promise sth like that ? Does he bring that much publicity that it´s worth even trying to negotiate with Adidas on this ? Couldn´t you just take the next best player in line ?

Last edited by whomario : 11-05-2009 at 07:40 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #75
rjolley
College Starter

I'll be surprised UCF if doesn't have a contract with Nike sometime in the near future.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #76
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For Mizzou fans:

Mizzou's latest recruit is featured in an article on ESPN.com...........

Missouri-bound point guard Phil Pressey is ready to take his game to new heights - ESPN
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #77
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Evidently Rollie still has it. Took his NAIA team against Florida International and beat Thomas in his debut.........

Isiah Thomas falls short in Florida International debut - ESPN
Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #78
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For Mizzou fans:

Mizzou's latest recruit is featured in an article on ESPN.com...........

Missouri-bound point guard Phil Pressey is ready to take his game to new heights - ESPN

Excellent read, thank you.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #79
Blade6119
Coordinator

Mizzou wins their first exhibition against Truman State 96-33, including A 46-8 second half! I know its just an exhibition, but thats still damn impressive as other teams are working out the kinks or losing(cough cough syracuse )
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Mizzou wins their first exhibition against Truman State 96-33, including A 46-8 second half! I know its just an exhibition, but thats still damn impressive as other teams are working out the kinks or losing(cough cough syracuse )

That game last night should make a lot of people feel awfully good about our chances. The result was relatively immaterial, but how MU did it was important. The concerns on MU were with the big guys. Bowers had a big game (ignoring the missed dunk that had a bit too much mustard). Ramsey looked very comfortable in Carroll's old role pressing the in-bounds pass and driving to the basket on the slower post man. Safford and Moore looked good as well.

Dixon is going to give us a huge upgrade on the bench. He's the quickest guy on the squad and just knows how to play the game. Really excited to have him stay in-state. Tremendous asset.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Kim English on front page of Yahoo.com this morning.......

Missouri guard Kim English literally sleeps in Mizzou's gym - The Dagger - NCAAB - Yahoo! Sports
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #82
MrBug708
Head Coach

And from the worst kept secret department, Josh Smith commits to UCLA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #83
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
And from the worst kept secret department, Josh Smith commits to UCLA
Great get for the Bruins, and as you said, no surprise. Huskies are hoping they can get Terrence Jones, who probably fits Romar's system better (though make no mistake - Huskies wanted Smith bad).
Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #84
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Are you serious? You played Truman State who finished 6-21 last season with a 1-19 record against MIAA. Do you honestly think you can take anything away from that game? You're the craziest koolaid drinking fan I've ever met. You fell in love with Blaine Gabbert after his game against Illinois and then made a fool of yourself by proclaiming that Missouri would then destroy Nebraska which we all know how that turned out. Now you're back at it...claiming Missouri answered questions after beating an awful Truman State squad. At least Illinois was a BCS conference squad. Why don't you chill out and let Missouri play some basketball till making your proclamations. You're nuts man.

Quote:
That game last night should make a lot of people feel awfully good about our chances. The result was relatively immaterial, but how MU did it was important. The concerns on MU were with the big guys. Bowers had a big game (ignoring the missed dunk that had a bit too much mustard). Ramsey looked very comfortable in Carroll's old role pressing the in-bounds pass and driving to the basket on the slower post man. Safford and Moore looked good as well.

Dixon is going to give us a huge upgrade on the bench. He's the quickest guy on the squad and just knows how to play the game. Really excited to have him stay in-state. Tremendous asset.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 AM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Great get for the Bruins, and as you said, no surprise. Huskies are hoping they can get Terrence Jones, who probably fits Romar's system better (though make no mistake - Huskies wanted Smith bad).

I like UDub's chances to land Jones. I think Kent's iffy situation at UO, and the distance to the other possibilities (UCLA/Oklahoma) make Washington the ideal landing spot for Jones.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #86
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I like UDub's chances to land Jones. I think Kent's iffy situation at UO, and the distance to the other possibilities (UCLA/Oklahoma) make Washington the ideal landing spot for Jones.

The rumors are that his family wants him at the UW. He supposedly was going to decide tonight whether to make an early commitment this week or to wait until the Spring. It sounds like he's going to wait to decide - that to me sounds like he's in conflict with his family about where to go.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #87
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Are you serious? You played Truman State who finished 6-21 last season with a 1-19 record against MIAA. Do you honestly think you can take anything away from that game? You're the craziest koolaid drinking fan I've ever met. You fell in love with Blaine Gabbert after his game against Illinois and then made a fool of yourself by proclaiming that Missouri would then destroy Nebraska which we all know how that turned out. Now you're back at it...claiming Missouri answered questions after beating an awful Truman State squad. At least Illinois was a BCS conference squad. Why don't you chill out and let Missouri play some basketball till making your proclamations. You're nuts man.

Dude, what is your issue? We all know your a kansas fan, and we all know you and Mizzou B-Ball dont get along. Great, now move the hell along. He, and other Mizzou fans(including myself), have every right to enjoy totally dominating a team we were supposed to dominate when other teams in the exact same situation across the country are working out kinks and getting things to click. The serious concerns we had coming into the year looked good, and hes happy. Its early, and against bad competition, but give the guy a break. Not everyone is predicted to win the title this year, allow some of us actually worried about their teams immediate future a little enjoyment. Can you take anything from the game as fact, of course not, as we had weaknesses look good and strengths look bad(like 3 point shooting). But for a team worried that losing its two star players from our best year in long time was going to doom us, its a very pleasant surprise irregardless of who it was against. And calling him the insane kool-aid drinking fan is like the pot calling the kettle black...and yes, Mizzou fans stick together, no matter how crazy we know the other one is
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 11-10-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some really terrible news coming out of New Jersey this morning. Seton Hall SG Keon Lawrence was driving drunk on the wrong side of the road on the Garden State Parkway and was in an accident. Both he and the other driver will be fine, but Keon's career may be over due to multiple legal issues.

Seton Hall's Lawrence reportedly drunk in crash - CBSSports.com

NorthJersey.com: Police: Seton Hall player drunk in wrong-way crash

Keon came from a totally broken family in every way, shape, and form. He had no parental role models. Coach Anderson and the MU staff brought him to Mizzou hoping to give him some guidance and structure, but it just didn't work out. Going home was the worst thing he could have done. Just too many demons. I'm sure the Mizzou staff, especially Coach Anderson and Watkins, is crushed to hear this news.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-10-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I didn't take much away from that game.. being Truman State and all.. but I'm definitely excited for the season!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #90
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Some really terrible news coming out of New Jersey this morning. Seton Hall SG Keon Lawrence was driving drunk on the wrong side of the road on the Garden State Parkway and was in an accident. Both he and the other driver will be fine, but Keon's career may be over due to multiple legal issues.

Seton Hall's Lawrence reportedly drunk in crash - CBSSports.com

NorthJersey.com: Police: Seton Hall player drunk in wrong-way crash

Keon came from a totally broken family in every way, shape, and form. He had no parental role models. Coach Anderson and the MU staff brought him to Mizzou hoping to give him some guidance and structure, but it just didn't work out. Going home was the worst thing he could have done. Just too many demons. I'm sure the Mizzou staff, especially Coach Anderson and Watkins, is crushed to hear this news.

Jesus, you have to really try to drive the wrong way on the GSP, he must have gone the wrong way on a ramp or something, either way, he had to be beyond smashed to make that mistake.

At least he didn't kill anyone and TBH I don't feel bad for him that his career is over.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #91
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm curious how MBBF would have reported this news if it had been a Kansas player involved in the accident. Somehow I'm not sure there would have been nearly the level of empathy for the drunk driver.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm curious how MBBF would have reported this news if it had been a Kansas player involved in the accident. Somehow I'm not sure there would have been nearly the level of empathy for the drunk driver.

I don't have any empathy for the drunk driver. He's going to get his due. But I do have empathy for Keon as a person. I wouldn't wish his circumstances on anyone.

A person who decides to go to KU is increasing the possibility that they may never work outside of a Taco Bell kitchen and deserves to be mocked.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #93
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I don't have any empathy for the drunk driver. He's going to get his due. But I do have empathy for Keon as a person. I wouldn't wish his circumstances on anyone.

Not sure how you can have empathy for him. He made the choice to get drunk and risk innocent lives, and trust me when I say he must have been beyond loaded to drive the wrong way on the GSP. There is either a huge stretch of grass or a 4 foot high concrete median between north and south. He is old enough to know right from wrong. I admittedly don't know much about his background, but I am guessing it is typical inner city story. This kid was given the golden ticket and he chose to screw it up. I don't feel any empathy for him at all, hopefully someone who appreciates it more gets his scholarship.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #94
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not sure how you can have empathy for him. He made the choice to get drunk and risk innocent lives, and trust me when I say he must have been beyond loaded to drive the wrong way on the GSP. There is either a huge stretch of grass or a 4 foot high concrete median between north and south. He is old enough to know right from wrong. I admittedly don't know much about his background, but I am guessing it is typical inner city story. This kid was given the golden ticket and he chose to screw it up. I don't feel any empathy for him at all, hopefully someone who appreciates it more gets his scholarship.

He literally had no parental role models during his childhood. His mother eventually showed back up when she realized he was talented, hoping to cash in on his abilities. It's a sad story repeated far too many times in our country.

As I said in previous posts, I'm not excusing his actions in any way. I've driven on the GSP and know the situation it would take to get on the wrong side of the road.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #95
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hey, we've got our first Pomeroy rankings! Syracuse is the #1 team!

(OK, so only 8 teams are ranked so far)

http://kenpom.com/rate.php
Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #96
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Hey, we've got our first Pomeroy rankings! Syracuse is the #1 team!

(OK, so only 8 teams are ranked so far)

http://kenpom.com/rate.php

Meanwhile, we have a 4-way tie for the lead in the RPI thus far.

Jim Boeheim wins #800. With the demise of SU football program, and with the head coaching carousels and constant drama of so many other programs, I appreciate old Jim more than ever.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #97
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Meanwhile, we have a 4-way tie for the lead in the RPI thus far.

Jim Boeheim wins #800. With the demise of SU football program, and with the head coaching carousels and constant drama of so many other programs, I appreciate old Jim more than ever.

And also a HUGE supporter of the Coaches vs. Cancer Foundation created by Norm Stewart. It seems like Norm was here at Mizzou forever and only had around 700 wins. 800 wins is an incredible achievement.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #98
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Did anyone suggest you couldn't enjoy the game? All that was suggested is to let the team play a few games before making any claims regarding the team. And based on your response it sounds like you agree with me so I'm not sure why you're calling me out if you agree that you can't take anything from that game.

As for this year's MU squad, you have some great guards returning so I'm not sure why you assumed the Tigers would struggle. KSU had a similar situation last year when they lost Beasley and Walker, but returned some experienced guards. Frank Martin is a good young coach, but he's not the coach that Anderson currently is. I'm not worried about MU being competitive this year. They'll go through some growing pains while the young post players learn, but they have the talent on the wing to more than make up for it.

PS: I may be a KU fan, but most of my family are MU fans so I see a lot of MU basketball and have a ton of respect for Missouri athletics. Coaching characters like Norm Stewart and Billy Tubbs were one of the things I loved about the old Big 8. A large number of my family share Norm's home town which I am extremely proud of. So yes, I have an interest in MU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Dude, what is your issue? We all know your a kansas fan, and we all know you and Mizzou B-Ball dont get along. Great, now move the hell along. He, and other Mizzou fans(including myself), have every right to enjoy totally dominating a team we were supposed to dominate when other teams in the exact same situation across the country are working out kinks and getting things to click. The serious concerns we had coming into the year looked good, and hes happy. Its early, and against bad competition, but give the guy a break. Not everyone is predicted to win the title this year, allow some of us actually worried about their teams immediate future a little enjoyment. Can you take anything from the game as fact, of course not, as we had weaknesses look good and strengths look bad(like 3 point shooting). But for a team worried that losing its two star players from our best year in long time was going to doom us, its a very pleasant surprise irregardless of who it was against. And calling him the insane kool-aid drinking fan is like the pot calling the kettle black...and yes, Mizzou fans stick together, no matter how crazy we know the other one is
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #99
watravaler
High School JV

Andy Katz's Daily Word: Taking a shot at ranking all 32 conferences - ESPN

I agree, as the BigTen is simply loaded with talent for the next few years. Good coaches/recruiters will make the 2010-2015 seasons extremely competitive and fun to watch.

Regarding Mizzou, just like Mizzou owns Illinois in football, the tables are reversed in basketball. Can't wait for that game!
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #100
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And also a HUGE supporter of the Coaches vs. Cancer Foundation created by Norm Stewart. It seems like Norm was here at Mizzou forever and only had around 700 wins. 800 wins is an incredible achievement.

Heh funny story.

I'm not so sure on Jim's involvementwith Coaches vs Cancer anymore. He has always had a fundraiser for CvC at Turning Stone Casino which raised a LOT of money. Seems sombody at CvC started raising a stink about being associated with gambling and wanted it moved. Boeheim told them no and basically set up his own charity. I think the quote was "Somebody will get a lot of money donated, it just won't be Coaches vs Cancer" or something along those lines.