Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #201
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Oooooooooooh yeahhhhhhhhhhh
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #202
Radii
Head Coach

Syracuse looks really really good, congrats to them, great performance.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were a total embarrassment for UNC. Airballing 3's, hardly trying to go inside at all, and the defense was just an abomination. I don't think a Syracuse shooter had a hand in his face during a shot for about 6 or 7 minutes.

This is pretty much what I expect for awhile though, capable of beating anyone, capable of losing to anyone/totally collapsing against a good team. Larry Drew was completely and totally worthless tonight. They'll gain experience and consistency I am sure, but WOW just total shit play at PG tonight.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #203
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think I jinxed the Big East. They started out 40-0 (if I am not mistaken), but have lost their last 2! Luckily, I was smart enough to do it at a time when WVU was not playing.

BTW, welcome back NCAA basketball -- it is great to have some college games on, really regardless of the matchups, during boring TV nights.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #204
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Every BCS conference has played mostly stiffs, and none of the others are undefeated.

The Pac-10 did not make it past the first game of the season, when their marquee team played a stiff at home.
The Pac-10 has a marquee team this year? (Once I figured out it was UCLA it seemed a little silly - are Georgetown and St. Johns still considered marquee Big East teams even though they were predicted mid-pack since they had past success, or Indiana a marquee B10 team?)

Sorry for the dickish tone in my last one. I just know BE defenders are going to be throwing that out there in discussions for the last at-large berths vs. teams like St. Joseph's and Xavier, when each team should be judged on its merits - instead of BE teams 8-11 getting credit (other than the obvious RPI and SOS bumps) for other teams being decent while A-10 teams 2-4 are torn down by association with St. Bonaventure, Fordham and sadly, UMass this year. (shocklingly enough 8 freshmen/transfers in the rotation, the DDM and no Calipari to lure 5* recruits is a bad combination.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-20-2009 at 11:45 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #205
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The Pac-10 has a marquee team this year? (Once I figured out it was UCLA it seemed a little silly - are Georgetown and St. Johns still considered marquee Big East teams even though they were predicted mid-pack since they had past success, or Indiana a marquee B10 team?)

Sorry for the dickish tone in my last one. I just know BE defenders are going to be throwing that out there in discussions for the last at-large berths vs. teams like St. Joseph's and Xavier, when each team should be judged on its merits - instead of BE teams 8-11 getting credit (other than the obvious RPI and SOS bumps) for other teams being decent while A-10 teams 2-4 are torn down by association with St. Bonaventure, Fordham and sadly, UMass this year. (shocklingly enough 8 freshmen/transfers in the rotation, the DDM and no Calipari to lure 5* recruits is a bad combination.)

BishopMVP, see Final Four, circa 2006-08.

BTW, the team this year is certainly not all that good. But if you're going to be a hater, at least don't prove your ignorance at the same time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #206
hoopsguy
General Manager

Seriously, if you are going to bag on programs that are living in the past and suck now I'm not sure how you don't mention Indiana.

Boston University Terriers 71
Indiana University 67
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #207
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BishopMVP, see Final Four, circa 2006-08.

BTW, the team this year is certainly not all that good. But if you're going to be a hater, at least don't prove your ignorance at the same time.
I'm not an idiot, I just think it's silly to call UCLA the PAC-10's marquee program in their down year, especially when the point could have been proven by one of the two marquee teams (Cal) getting smoked by Syracuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Seriously, if you are going to bag on programs that are living in the past and suck now I'm not sure how you don't mention Indiana.

Indiana University 67
Ummm.... I did? (Although I do think Crean will have them back in contention for an at-large by next year.)
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #208
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hmm, I guess I'm reading impaired? You sure you did not add them in the last edit?

Although, to be honest, I was just looking for a hook to add that Boston score to this thread
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #209
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Indiana University 67

Indiana is bringing in some serious talent but yeah they're not good right now. With the kids they have though right now I think they will continue to improve and be a pest in Big 10 play.

Also, homer alert, but Manny Harris and ugh, yes even Evan Turner (damn Buckeyes) are two of the best players in the Nation. Cannot wait to see them go one on one again.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #210
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not an idiot, I just think it's silly to call UCLA the PAC-10's marquee program in their down year, especially when the point could have been proven by one of the two marquee teams (Cal) getting smoked by Syracuse.Ummm.... I did? (Although I do think Crean will have them back in contention for an at-large by next year.)

I think then the issue is the definition of "marquee program".

This term is not used for "best team this year." It's a statement about the general strength of the program, and in this specific instance, how it stands against other programs in its conference.

IMO, that is the more accepted understanding of what "marquee" means, not what you believe it is. And under that definition, it's hard to argue that UCLA is not the Pac 10's marquee program. Putting aside all of the historical reasons this is true and only looking at recent history, there's really only three teams with a claim, and that's UCLA-Arizona-Washington. Arizona has largely been behind UCLA for most of Howland's tenure, and Washington has been the closer competitor (in fact, last year and this year, UDub is the top program, although I don't that makes it the "marquee"; it's going to take more time than that).

Frankly, I'm not sure how you read "marquee" the way you did. I haven't seen anyone read so tight a definition of the term in the way you chose to. It's similar to "prestigious" in my mind. You don't use one season (and actually predictions for that season, really) to describe a program as the "most prestigious". That's an argument that takes years to build.

It's the same with marquee, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #211
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Last couple of days have been very telling for a couple of Big 12 teams. Kansas State has been really struggling on the defensive end and looked horrible against Old Miss.

Oklahoma is also quickly finding out what happens when you lose an elite post player and are forced to rely on the outside shot. They went 5-26 from three point range and lost to a VCU team by double digits.

It'll be interesting to see how the Big 12 sorts itself out considering many think they are one of the deepest conferences in the nation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #212
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

OU and KSU will be fine. If you look at OU you'll notice they were strong inside. Their guards were abysmal from beyond the arc, but I don't think you're going to see that very often with a guy like Willie Warren.

Miss just ripped KSU up on the offensive end. Surprising given Martin's squads are usually very physical and solid on defense ala Huggins' squads. They have to feel good about the production of Curtis Kelly and Wally Judge.

Nebraska put up 90 on TCU. I don't know if TCU is that bad or NU just got hot since it's rare to see Sadler's NU squads put up that many points. Sadler's a very good coach, but just can't seem to pull in the recruits at NU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Last couple of days have been very telling for a couple of Big 12 teams. Kansas State has been really struggling on the defensive end and looked horrible against Old Miss.

Oklahoma is also quickly finding out what happens when you lose an elite post player and are forced to rely on the outside shot. They went 5-26 from three point range and lost to a VCU team by double digits.

It'll be interesting to see how the Big 12 sorts itself out considering many think they are one of the deepest conferences in the nation.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Nebraska put up 90 on TCU. I don't know if TCU is that bad or NU just got hot since it's rare to see Sadler's NU squads put up that many points. Sadler's a very good coach, but just can't seem to pull in the recruits at NU.

Nebraska's extremely inconsistant. That win was needed just to save face following that abysmal loss the game before to SLU, who doesn't start a single upperclassman. They're definitely a bottom 3 team in this league.

Quote:
OU and KSU will be fine. If you look at OU you'll notice they were strong inside. Their guards were abysmal from beyond the arc, but I don't think you're going to see that very often with a guy like Willie Warren.

It was an embarrassing loss for the Big 12. There's very few ways to sugar coat it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-22-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who the f is Texas Pan American?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Who the f is Texas Pan American?

I don't care who you're playing. If you lay a 46-5 run on a team as Mizzou did today, it's very impressive. That game looked like a scrimmage against a high school team at times.

Bowers is becoming a regular on ESPN's top 10 thus far. He had two more sick dunks today. He's an amazing athlete.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #216
RedKingGold
College Starter

After a close win over George Mason, Villanova makes a solid early season statement by playing two great games against Dayton and Ole Miss to win the Puerto Rico Shootout.

Still a long way to go, but it's a nice way to start out the nonconference part of the season.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #217
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Oooooooooooh yeahhhhhhhhhhh

It's definitely nice to already have two blowout neutral-site wins against ranked teams. I doubt anyone else in the country has that yet.

Last edited by molson : 11-22-2009 at 10:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That game looked like a scrimmage against a high school team at times.

Considering that Tx-Pan Am was #333 of 347 teams in Sagarin's end of season ratings last year & about the same so far this year, I think there's a pretty good reason it looked like that, it wasn't far from it.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #219
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't care who you're playing. If you lay a 46-5 run on a team as Mizzou did today, it's very impressive. That game looked like a scrimmage against a high school team at times.

Bowers is becoming a regular on ESPN's top 10 thus far. He had two more sick dunks today. He's an amazing athlete.
The 45-6 run also included a 28-0 run. Yeah, it's a horrible team but those numbers are sick, especially considering that JT Tiller didn't play. Kim English scored 25 and I don't think he even started since they are limiting his action after he hit his head on the floor.

I think Mike Anderson has achieved his goal: He has recreated Nolan Richardson's Arkansas team at Missouri. Do we have Scotty Thurman and Corliss Williamson yet? Remains to be seen.

Is Steve Moore looking better? Was reading today about how he's dropped 40 pounds from last year. His weight definitely hurt him last year.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #220
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

KSU just beat a top 25 school in Dayton. You were saying about KSU?

OU had a bad game. It happens. It happens especially when you're relying on young players as the Sooners are this year. Their best players are sophomores or freshmen.

Yes, NU is extremely inconsistent. Sadler hasn't been able to recruit the talent he'd like to NU, but he has them playing solid basketball. They beat two quality teams in Texas and Missouri last year. Sadler's teams play some ugly basketball, but they have a tendency to force other teams to play ugly basketball as well when they are in Lincoln thus giving them an opportunity to win. They definitely don't have the talent that the other Big 12 north squads minus CU have, but Sadler finds a way to win games at home. So I won't lock them in as a cellar dweller just yet.

Speaking of the Big 12, Iowa State seems to be playing well. I don't know that you could call them a sleeper given Brackins returning, but they could do some damage in the Big 12.

Quote:
Nebraska's extremely inconsistant. That win was needed just to save face following that abysmal loss the game before to SLU, who doesn't start a single upperclassman. They're definitely a bottom 3 team in this league.

It was an embarrassing loss for the Big 12. There's very few ways to sugar coat it.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #221
Groundhog
Coordinator

St. Mary's started 2-0, including a big win over San Diego St., but fell yesterday to Vandy in a close one. Aussie freshman guard Dellavedova is one to watch. I don't know that he's the next Patty Mills, but I saw him play a fair bit for our national team over the past few months and he's a heck of a player for a guy his age, great defender especially. Averaging 18.3 pts 3 rebs and 4.7 assists on .471 shooting over the first 3 games.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #222
RainMaker
General Manager

Mizzou's OOC schedule is pretty embarassing. Were all the NAIA schools taken when they put it together?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #223
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
KSU just beat a top 25 school in Dayton. You were saying about KSU?

Ugh. Dayton's strength is usually defense and rebounding, but they got killed all tournament on the boards, and their perimeter defense against KSU's guards was awful. Those are some talented guys, but to have both KSU's starting guards go for over 20 was an embarrassment.

Disappointing not to pull 2 wins out of the tournament, but frankly after the Georgia Tech comeback, UD was lucky to get 1.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Mizzou's OOC schedule is pretty embarassing. Were all the NAIA schools taken when they put it together?

Not too sure about that. Got some pretty good competition in the non-con schedule. Old Dominion should be one of the better mid-majors. Mississippi State is a top 25 team. Illinois is expected to be very good. Oregon and Georgia aren't very good, but they're certainly big-conference teams. Tennessee-Chattanooga was a NCAA tourney team last year. Vanderbilt on the road should be a very good test.

FWIW.......the game yesterday against Pan American and the Tennessee-Chattanooga game are the preliminary round games of the South Padre Invitational. Coach Anderson prefers not to schedule teams quite that bad (Pan-American), but he didn't have any say in the matter in this situation.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-23-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #225
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Ugh. Dayton's strength is usually defense and rebounding, but they got killed all tournament on the boards, and their perimeter defense against KSU's guards was awful. Those are some talented guys, but to have both KSU's starting guards go for over 20 was an embarrassment.

Agreed. KSU isn't a very good team. Really disappointing to see Dayton lay an egg like that. They'll be fine in the end, but will look back on that game as one they should have easily won.

With that said, it doesn't hurt the B12 power rankings, so I won't complain.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-23-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

College Basketball Hall of Fame inductions were held yesterday in Kansas City. Fans loved seeing Bird and Johnson together. Nice tribute by Tisdale's wife.

Tisdale article:

Oklahoma’s Tisdale helped change the Big Eight - KansasCity.com

Bird/Johnson article:

It’s showtime when Bird and Magic are together - KansasCity.com

Coach Heathcote article:

Heathcote still stays connected to the game - KansasCity.com

Coach Bartow article:

Bartow not afraid to take on challenges - KansasCity.com

Travis Grant article:

Travis Grant was basketball’s greatest scoring machine - KansasCity.com

Bobby Knight falls asleep during ceremonies:

Hall of Fame buzz | Tisdale the musician - KansasCity.com
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #227
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Given that UCLA has arguably the most success in both overall and recent history, that makes them the Pac-10's marquee team. It would take 10 straight final fours for someone to overcome everything UCLA brings to the marquee team argument.

I would indeed call Georgetown one of three Big East marquee teams (with SU and UConn) despite the fact that Villanova and Pitt have been more successful recently. But, I am old, younger folks may have no memory of Georgetown being a top 10 program.

And "marquee" does not mean "best team this year." The term stems from Broadway, where they put the biggest star's name on the marquee to get people to pay to come watch. In Pac-10 basketball, that is unquestionably UCLA. In Pac-10 football, its still USC, even if they finish fourth this year. Even in years where Oregon is clearly better, people pay more attention to what happens at UCLA. That's what makes them the marquee program.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #228
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

True.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #229
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

KSU's guards are actually pretty solid and have put up some big numbers against some pretty good teams (Clemente put up 40+ against Texas, 30+ against Missouri, and 20+ against Kansas last year while Pullen put up 20+ against UT, KU, and MU). Dayton struggled in the tournament and are obviously out of the top 25 after it, but they played some pretty good squads. Barring some injuries KSU has a good shot of making the NCAA tourney.

Quote:

Disappointing not to pull 2 wins out of the tournament, but frankly after the Georgia Tech comeback, UD was lucky to get 1.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #230
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I think you're going to be surprised by KSU. KSU beat MU and UT last year and they return their best players along with adding some athletic size in the front court. KSU is a good team. The loss to Mississippi surprised me, but it's understandable given Pullen and Clemente's struggles in the game. Either Mississippi played some great defense on KSU's guards or their shots just weren't falling. Either way it's a good win for Mississippi.

Quote:
Agreed. KSU isn't a very good team. Really disappointing to see Dayton lay an egg like that. They'll be fine in the end, but will look back on that game as one they should have easily won.

With that said, it doesn't hurt the B12 power rankings, so I won't complain.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Colorado giving Gonzaga quite a game right now at the Maui Invitational. 63-63 with 5 minutes left.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #232
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Not too sure about that. Got some pretty good competition in the non-con schedule. Old Dominion should be one of the better mid-majors. Mississippi State is a top 25 team. Illinois is expected to be very good. Oregon and Georgia aren't very good, but they're certainly big-conference teams. Tennessee-Chattanooga was a NCAA tourney team last year. Vanderbilt on the road should be a very good test.

FWIW.......the game yesterday against Pan American and the Tennessee-Chattanooga game are the preliminary round games of the South Padre Invitational. Coach Anderson prefers not to schedule teams quite that bad (Pan-American), but he didn't have any say in the matter in this situation.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Farleigh Dickinson, Savannah State, UMKC and Austin Peay?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Farleigh Dickinson, Savannah State, UMKC and Austin Peay?

Let's not get crazy here. Everyone plays some cupcakes. Mizzou has plenty of good teams on their schedule. Outside of the mid-major teams that are forced to schedule big dogs in most non-conference games, most big conference teams usually have a half-and-half schedule much like Mizzou with some cupcakes mixed in with some solid opponents.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-23-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Gonzaga survives by 4 points over Colorado.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #235
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Purdue beats Tennessee by 1 in the Paradise Jam final. Wrong result but a darned good b'ball game for November.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #236
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington picks up a very intriguing commitment today from Turkish native Enes Kanter. He's a 6'9", 240lb frontcourt player, considered a pretty good athlete with high basketball IQ. He's considered one of the top big men in the 2010 class, and has been called the best player born in 1992 out of Europe.

He played some games in a professional Turkish league, so he may end up having to sit out some games pending the NCAA's ruling on the matter.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #237
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas picks up a solid 85-60 win over Iowa. Tomorrow's game against Pitt should be a good one.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #238
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Washington picks up a very intriguing commitment today from Turkish native Enes Kanter. He's a 6'9", 240lb frontcourt player, considered a pretty good athlete with high basketball IQ. He's considered one of the top big men in the 2010 class, and has been called the best player born in 1992 out of Europe.

He played some games in a professional Turkish league, so he may end up having to sit out some games pending the NCAA's ruling on the matter.

I have heard a lot of good things about him. I know Huggins and co. thought he was scholarship-worthy (in a year w/ limited scholarships available), but a lot of folks think he will have trouble gaining eligibility with all of the stupid, arbitrary NCAA rules.

In any case, he sounds like an NBA-prospect and, at worst, Washington loses nothing by trying to get him on-board.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #239
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about him. I know Huggins and co. thought he was scholarship-worthy (in a year w/ limited scholarships available), but a lot of folks think he will have trouble gaining eligibility with all of the stupid, arbitrary NCAA rules.

In any case, he sounds like an NBA-prospect and, at worst, Washington loses nothing by trying to get him on-board.

Yes, because playing on a club team overseas that has one guy getting paid to play is 10 times worse than directly receiving benefits from your AAU coach stateside.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yes, because playing on a club team overseas that has one guy getting paid to play is 10 times worse than directly receiving benefits from your AAU coach stateside.

Preaching to the choir with this crowd, I imagine. Dragovic had to sit out ten games his freshman season because of that rule.

I don't know too much details about Kanter's professional experience, but the scuttlebutt on the UCLA sites on why they didn't target him is because they're not sure he will ever be eligible. Don't know how much there is to that.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #241
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmm, I guess I'm reading impaired? You sure you did not add them in the last edit?

Although, to be honest, I was just looking for a hook to add that Boston score to this thread
I think I did add Indiana in an edit, although it lists my edit as a minute later, so you must have gotten in just in time.

I'll admit to being wrong on marquee, even if I do think the context (specifically the 2009-10 season) allows for more flexibility. (i.e. Indiana is still the marquee Big 10 program going forward, but this year they're not.)
Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #242
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas picks up a solid 85-60 win over Iowa.

Iowa's terrible, so that's no surprise.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Iowa's terrible, so that's no surprise.

The only surprise there was that it was a 38-38 game at halftime. Texas finally figured out they were supposed to play some defense in the second half.

Iowa should have never been there anyway. They actually lost both games in the preliminary rounds of this tournament, but they have a screwy rule where the host sites advance regardless of preliminary round results. The teams that beat Iowa would have put up a better fight.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #244
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Preaching to the choir with this crowd, I imagine. Dragovic had to sit out ten games his freshman season because of that rule.

I don't know too much details about Kanter's professional experience, but the scuttlebutt on the UCLA sites on why they didn't target him is because they're not sure he will ever be eligible. Don't know how much there is to that.
He certainly wasn't on the radar of the UW recruiting sites - this came out of the blue. From reading up on him, I'd be a little surprised if there were academic issues that would hold up his qualification - his father is a noted professor, and he turned down millions to play in Europe to come to the U.S. and get a quality education along with better preparation for the NBA.

On the other hand, the fact that he enrolled in and left two prep schools before landing at Stoneridge Prep is a red flag. And I've heard Stoneridge has a rep as a prep school of last resort.

We'll see. I have a lot of faith in Romar's judgment of character, so I'm optimistic there won't be any issues once Kanter is eligible to play. He may have to sit out some games per the NCAA due to playing on a team in Turkey that included some professional players, but the sense I'm getting is that it's unlikely to be a lot of games, if any.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #245
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
He certainly wasn't on the radar of the UW recruiting sites - this came out of the blue. From reading up on him, I'd be a little surprised if there were academic issues that would hold up his qualification - his father is a noted professor, and he turned down millions to play in Europe to come to the U.S. and get a quality education along with better preparation for the NBA.

On the other hand, the fact that he enrolled in and left two prep schools before landing at Stoneridge Prep is a red flag. And I've heard Stoneridge has a rep as a prep school of last resort.

We'll see. I have a lot of faith in Romar's judgment of character, so I'm optimistic there won't be any issues once Kanter is eligible to play. He may have to sit out some games per the NCAA due to playing on a team in Turkey that included some professional players, but the sense I'm getting is that it's unlikely to be a lot of games, if any.

Deniz Kilicli is WVU recruit from Turkey currently sitting out 20 games for playing on a team that had 1 player being paid. I believe there are changes that come into effect next year that will make it easier for foreign players to play college ball here without sitting out games because of teammates receiving pay.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #246
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I believe there are changes that come into effect next year that will make it easier for foreign players to play college ball here without sitting out games because of teammates receiving pay.
Yep, that's what I was basing my assumptions on.

Currently, I believe the NCAA institutes a "one for one" punishment - sit out one game for every game played on a team with professionals. I'm not sure how many such games Kanter played, so I don't know what the maximum possible penalty would be, but it might all be moot soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #247
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep, that's what I was basing my assumptions on.

Currently, I believe the NCAA institutes a "one for one" punishment - sit out one game for every game played on a team with professionals. I'm not sure how many such games Kanter played, so I don't know what the maximum possible penalty would be, but it might all be moot soon.

I think it was 2 NCAA games for every 1 game played with a pro for Kilicli. It is such a silly standard. From what I have heard, he was playing with an amateur club team and a professional, that was working his way back into shape from an injury, joined his team for 10 games.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #248
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou continues to thump some opponents at home. Tennessee-Chattanooga is actually supposed to give Davidson a run for the conference title this year, but Mizzou just kicked them in the junk tonight. MU will be ridiculously difficult to beat when Kimmie English is shooting well.

Should get a couple of great neutral court tests over the weekend. Old Dominion returns all 5 starters from a 25-10 team. Then Mizzou would face either Richmond or Mississippi State after that.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #249
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Big East picks up another win over a ranked opponent, with Cincinnati beating Maryland. Pitt and #3 Texas look pretty evenly matched early on.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #250
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Cuse looking Final 4 good.

Rutgers might have their worst team in some time this year, and that is saying something, but one of their fans has a good sense of humor about it. Quoted from some Rutgers board I was checking out:

Re: VERMONT @ PROVIDENCE tonight 7PM at the Dunk
even better....

we lose to VT by 6
Prov beats VT by 40
Ala beats Prov by 9
Cornell beats Ala by 4
Syracuse beats Cornell by 15

Equals Syracuse over Rutgers by 74

But since it is at the RAC and Syracuse fans will probably outnumber us I'd ADD 5. Syracuse by 79.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 11-24-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote