Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #101
MrBug708
Head Coach

USA Portugal is on ESPN Classic. JOB just scored the first goal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While I have no clue how to get Youtube videos to embed properly and don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but this Nike World Cup commercial is one of the coolest commercials of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6...layer_embedded
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-10-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #103
MrBug708
Head Coach

The things I would do to Shakira
Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #104
whomario
Pro Starter

am currently watching the opening-concert. Great event, great atmospehere n that stadium. Actually a lot more enjoyable than things like that usually are, especially considerin i didnīt care much for the acts involved. Iīm so glad it will finally start tomorrow, canīt wait. Hope it will be a blast, would be sooo important off the field as well.

Will definitely be a different type of world cup but i donīt doubt it will be a great one. Everyone allways is sceptical when a world cup is placed in a country not a soccer-power, but in the end it all works great all the same.

Hope to see and here a lot of this and South Africa stays in the tournament long (though the odds are slim, but no one gave South Korea any chance either) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K4Vi6oPQL8

itīs soooo hard to decide on a winner, i really donīt see any teams above the rest by a wide margin. Maybe Spain, if i had to name one. But thereīs propably 9 or 10 teams with a decent chance to reach the Final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

more proof that every highlight video needs to have Explosions In The Sky playing in the background, great vid

Last edited by whomario : 06-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #105
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I have started up a blog again and wrote a piece on England needing a holding mid against the US. If you are interested, check it out here:

England Foolish Not to Deploy Holding Midfielder Against the US Ŧ SoccerAppeal.com
Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #106
whomario
Pro Starter

other teams i will support/wish well outside of Germany and South Africa :

South Korea : just love their style of play, the way they never give up and move on both sides of the ball. Also their fans are absolutely great, maybe not as outgoing or creative as others but tons of fun to be around and very suportive of their team.

Spain : Just very fun to watch them circulate the ball.

Ivory Coast : Tood bad they drew 2 great teams, a lot of great players and they play a great style of soccer.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #107
MikeVic
Head Coach

My main team is Brazil since they're fun to watch and I liked them as a kid.

I normally cheer for my parents' countries (Poland and Croatia) but since neither are in, I kind of adopted Ivory Coast. Other than that, just looking for great soccer.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #108
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Outside of the US who I obviously want to see do well-

For:

Netherlands - I like their style, and from reading some soccer books (Brilliant Orange among others) and liking certain players they've had over the years I've found myself rooting for them in tournaments. They are also a fun country to play as in the Europa Universalis games and have an interesting history imo.

Italy - They've always my second team behind the US due to Italian ancestry and me loving players like Roberto Baggio and Paolo Maldini when I first started following the sport.

Honduras - I always root for the other non-Mexican CONCACAF teams. And I enjoyed the videos of Honduran fans running through the streets with Honduran and American flags after Jonathan Bornstein's header against Costa Rica ensured that Honduras finished third in the region and automatically qualified for the World Cup.

Against:

England - Gerrard, Terry, Joe Cole, Carragher. It's hard for me to root for a team with those guys in it. Plus they are in our group and them winning the thing would be referenced often throughout the next few EPL seasons which I can do without.

Brazil - They've won it enough times already imo. Plus Robinho is obnoxious. And people go on about how they play sexy football despite the fact they've been a very pragmatic team for a number of years now, using physicality, two non-creative holding midfielders, etc.

France/Germany - I've just never liked either of them. I should be over it by now but I'm still a little bitter about the nature of our defeat by Germany in 2002.

Mexico - Our biggest rivals, I enjoy watching them lose despite the fact we share a region. And Rafa Marquez is a dirty bastard.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #109
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

For: USA, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany

Against: Brazil, Italy, France, Mexico. Hell. Anyone not in the above.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #110
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Honduras - I always root for the other non-Mexican CONCACAF teams. And I enjoyed the videos of Honduran fans running through the streets with Honduran and American flags after Jonathan Bornstein's header against Costa Rica ensured that Honduras finished third in the region and automatically qualified for the World Cup.

I'm also pulling hard for Honduras.

1. Tailgaited with their fans for hours before a Gold Cup double-header last year and they were super-accommodating, a lot of fun, and freely expressed that they also loved the USA quite a bit. One dude even had a home-made 50/50 USA/Honduras jersey.

2. Wilson Palacios is one of my favorite players, playing for my English club team (Tottenham).

3. The dramatic fashion in which we helped them qualify, and their super-amazing reaction to it were just great stories.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #111
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mexico on the brink
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #112
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was a pretty sweet goal by South Africa
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #113
MikeVic
Head Coach

Why was that Mexico goal offside? There was a South African player on the goalline...?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #114
MJ4H
Coordinator

The offsides rule states that there must be two defenders ahead of the attacker when the ball is played forward, not just one. One of them is almost always the keeper, so people are used to just looking for one actual defender. In this case, the keeper was down at the corner market, so there needed to be two defenders ahead, and there was just the one guy standing on the line.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #115
Butter
Coordinator

This could be a pretty amazing start.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #116
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My team is England (ancestry). Backup for when they inevitably collapse in some kind of spectacular fashion is Netherlands (not sure why). I'd like to see the US do well so long as it doesn't harm England.

I'm not really against any team, at least yet. In the past it seems like a couple teams inevitably annoy me in the group stages, so I'm sure by the semi's I'll have someone to root against, but I don't know who yet.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #117
bhlloy
Coordinator

#1 - having commentators that actually know the offside rule is a plus. Thank god the studio guys at halftime realized their mistake. I was going to kill the next person who didn't know the rule live on air.

#2 - that goal was absolutely ridiculous. To hit a ball that is bouncing away from you like that, unreal. Not getting enough love IMO.

#3 - Mexican keeper is terrible. Don't they have some hotshot on the bench? Think they might want to put him in for the next game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #118
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
The offsides rule states that there must be two defenders ahead of the attacker when the ball is played forward, not just one. One of them is almost always the keeper, so people are used to just looking for one actual defender. In this case, the keeper was down at the corner market, so there needed to be two defenders ahead, and there was just the one guy standing on the line.

Dead on and I'm amazed that the commentators didn't understand this. It's a rule that doesn't come up that much but it was dead on correctly called. Kudos to the officials.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #119
Galaxy
Coordinator

Amazing goal for South Africa.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-11-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #120
MikeVic
Head Coach

The commentator here said the offside was the right call but didn't say why, so I was lost.

Yeah the Mexican goalie is bad.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #121
Galaxy
Coordinator

Almost 2-0! I thought he got knocked off.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-11-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #122
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Those horns are killing me, I'm trying to work while I watch and the noise in the background is brutal.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #123
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The commentator here said the offside was the right call but didn't say why, so I was lost.

Yeah the Mexican goalie is bad.

The first team keeper has had some bad issues with holding onto the ball and he was benched for this game
Old 06-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #124
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Those horns are killing me, I'm trying to work while I watch and the noise in the background is brutal.

I'm hoping we get used to it. I was really hoping they would ban them for all matches except for South Africa's.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #125
Logan
Head Coach

Anyone using ESPN3? I lost sound like 5 mins into the 2nd half and it hasn't come back. I'm scared to reload in case it doesn't connect as well

And yes, that ball placement on the goal was ridiculous.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #126
Galaxy
Coordinator

1-1.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #127
MrBug708
Head Coach

Crap
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #128
kingfc22
Head Coach

Anybody streaming from a site other than espn3 as I haven't been able to get on the entire game?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #129
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
OMFG!!! That was SOOOO close to being an awesome goal for SA
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #130
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Anybody streaming from a site other than espn3 as I haven't been able to get on the entire game?

No video, but I'm listening on espnradio.com
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #131
cartman
Death Herald

And that's the game. 1-1 draw.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #132
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
OMFG!!! That was SOOOO close to being an awesome goal for SA

the South African GKs kick-offs have been amazing all game,that is actually a great weapon Decent first game, too bad SA couldnīt pull in the win ... But overall mexico was at least equal, although the 2nd half wasnīt good by them at all.

Last edited by whomario : 06-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #133
bhlloy
Coordinator

Mexico won't be going far, any team with world class players is going to shred that defence and goalie.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #134
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Which is strange, because they started to look a bit dangerous coming into the World Cup.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #135
kingfc22
Head Coach

Mexico's GK looked very weak.

They aren't going very far with him.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #136
Arles
Grey Dog Software

They've pretty much always been fairly pedestrian when not playing at home. You take away the pack stadium, smog and elevation and Mexico is a mid-range world team at best.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #137
MJ4H
Coordinator

Video highlights of game 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrjLZ_UYUl4
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #138
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i had guardado (assist) and marquez (goal) on my cup fantasy team.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #139
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I imagine Mexico will be starting Ochoa from here on out.

Obviously though the goal was not Perez's fault. What a strike.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #140
wade moore
lolzcat

On the root for front:

1. USA
2. Republic of Ireland (sigh) - due to ancestry.
3. Nigeria - My best friend was born there and we would watch them in world cup years. Root for them because of him and because they seem to always play a fun, fast, attacking style (this is from a non-soccer guy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #141
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I imagine Mexico will be starting Ochoa from here on out.

Obviously though the goal was not Perez's fault. What a strike.

Yes and no - the strike was unstoppable but my first instinct as a goalie was that he should have come out for the through ball. Where he was positioned is pretty much where you don't want to be - come out and challenge the shot.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #142
whomario
Pro Starter

hmm, then again he cleared quite a few through-balls and is known for just that. Just watched it again and canīt say thereīs much of a chance at going off the line here with the way the ball is played. Tshabala hits that anything less than perfect and Perez gets it the way heīs positioned.

Was definitely less than stellar when it came to crosses, but his play on through balls imo was spot on mostly.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Is that what is making that sound like a hive of bees? Really annoying.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I'm wondering if it could hurt the number of casual viewers of the less popular games. Gotta say, I may be on the fence...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #145
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010061...-the-vuvuzelas

It's the vuvuzelas.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #146
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
#1 - having commentators that actually know the offside rule is a plus. Thank god the studio guys at halftime realized their mistake. I was going to kill the next person who didn't know the rule live on air.

I was losing my f'ing mind that not only did they get it wrong - they went ON and ON for 15 minutes about it being a bad or controversial call. Producers - step in and whisper something in their ear dammnit!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #147
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I was losing my f'ing mind that not only did they get it wrong - they went ON and ON for 15 minutes about it being a bad or controversial call. Producers - step in and whisper something in their ear dammnit!

Really is no excuse for having someone that ignorant about the rules calling the game.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #148
bob
College Starter

Quote:

I had a good laugh when I unlocked the first extra in WC 2010 on the Wii: the ability to turn the horns off.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #149
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

lets go Uruguay

Thierry Henry starts on the bench for France. No worries, he'll be starting for my New York Red Bulls shortly.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-11-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #150
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think the mute button is going to be quite useful during this WC.