Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From an AJC column that focused on the KSU win rather than the GT loss.

The Ingle quoted here is coach Tony Ingle, who I watched as a HS coach in north Georgia for a number of years before he went on to be an assistant at BYU.

Before the game, he said he asked his players: “You got your tennis shoes? Is there a rim out there? You got your jerseys?”

Sitting beside Ingle at the postgame briefing, guard Spencer Dixon and forward LaDaris Green kept answering, “Yes.” And here Ingle came to his final question: “Do you have a dream?”

“Yes,” the players said again.

Ingle: “Then bring it.”
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #202
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
From an AJC column that focused on the KSU win rather than the GT loss.

The Ingle quoted here is coach Tony Ingle, who I watched as a HS coach in north Georgia for a number of years before he went on to be an assistant at BYU.

Before the game, he said he asked his players: “You got your tennis shoes? Is there a rim out there? You got your jerseys?”

Sitting beside Ingle at the postgame briefing, guard Spencer Dixon and forward LaDaris Green kept answering, “Yes.” And here Ingle came to his final question: “Do you have a dream?”

“Yes,” the players said again.

Ingle: “Then bring it.”

Just looked this guy up. I'm assuming you saw him at Cherokee HS? Also, he's apparently a Mormon. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but not many Mormons in north Georgia.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #203
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA goes to 2-0. Josh Smith had 13 points, 5 boards, and 2 assists in 15 minutes of play. Needs to watch the ticky tacky fouls and UCLA should be set
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #204
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Just looked this guy up. I'm assuming you saw him at Cherokee HS? Also, he's apparently a Mormon. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but not many Mormons in north Georgia.

Yep, one of my HS's rivals way back when, although that died out long ago since they now have 4 HS's that are almost double the size of my alma mater.
He was there from '78-'85, had some pretty good teams toward the end of his tenure (although even their bad teams used to hang a hundred on us).

And to the best of my recollection, his religion was actually a novelty at most, I really don't remember it being a topic of any significant discussion. In hindsight, that's almost a little odd, because he would pretty much have been the only LDS I ever met in that area up to that point.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-16-2010 at 12:50 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #205
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yep, one of my HS's rivals way back when, although that died out long ago since they now have 4 HS's that are almost double the size of my alma mater.
He was there from '78-'85, had some pretty good teams toward the end of his tenure (although even their bad teams used to hang a hundred on us).

And to the best of my recollection, his religion was actually a novelty at most, I really don't remember it being a topic of any significant discussion. In hindsight, that's almost a little odd, because he would pretty much have been the only LDS I ever met in that area up to that point.

What part of north Georgia are you from? I spent the majority of my childhood in Jasper and still live there. If your alma mater played Cherokee, you can't be too far from here.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What part of north Georgia are you from? I spent the majority of my childhood in Jasper and still live there. If your alma mater played Cherokee, you can't be too far from here.

Well f me running ... I'm from Tate. PHS Class of '84.

edit to add: for those suddenly keeping score at home, that would mean Recoil & I are from about 5 miles apart & almost certainly went to the same high school (albeit probably at different times).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-16-2010 at 01:00 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #207
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well f me running ... I'm from Tate. PHS Class of '84.

No shit? '84, huh? PHS class of '06. Actually, I spent my 5th grade year at the old PHS, which is now Jasper Middle School. I was born at the old Tate Clinic.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was born at the old Tate Clinic.

Same thing is on my birth certificate
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 AM   #209
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Same thing is on my birth certificate

You missed Tate Days a few weekends ago. I had some damn good BBQ at the old Tate gym. You acutally live in ACC? I lived there from June '07-08 on the east side of the town. My girlfriend still does and will be graduating next month from UGA.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You missed Tate Days a few weekends ago. I had some damn good BBQ at the old Tate gym.

I'm so old that I had P.E. and played a few seasons of basketball in that old gym

Quote:
You acutally live in ACC?

Yep, one of the neighborhoods off Timothy Rd, about a mile & a half on the Oconee side of Epps Bridge.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 AM   #211
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm so old that I had P.E. and played a few seasons of basketball in that old gym

I played a few basketball games at that gym. Also a few practices.

Quote:
Yep, one of the neighborhoods off Timothy Rd, about a mile & a half on the Oconee side of Epps Bridge.

That shouldn't be too far from where my girlfriend used to live on Macon HWY at River Club. In my time in Athens, I lived off Riverbend. I'm sure you know where that is.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #212
whomario
Pro Starter

still some "regional" rooting interest for me as Gonzaga added another german player in Mathis Monninghoff and he´s off to a good start and seems to be set as a rotation player in his freshman year
Hope he develops well, out national team desperately needs new Guards

Christian Standhardinger for nebraska still seems to struggle on defense and get major playing time, but scored 30 points in 35 minutes the first 2 games.

The Saint Mary´s Aussies also just got a good win against St Johns.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just to make the GT fans feel like they have company, Oklahoma needed overtime to beat North Carolina Central last night. Another big conference school that's really going to struggle this year. Not sure Capel will have a job there after this year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #214
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just to make the GT fans feel like they have company, Oklahoma needed overtime to beat North Carolina Central last night. Another big conference school that's really going to struggle this year. Not sure Capel will have a job there after this year.

I think he'll have a job for one more year, but this thing won't be pretty at all. Granted, they are better than they played yesterday because I think they can hit open shots with more regularity than that, but it's certainly more of a sign of things to come than if we had blown them out by 40.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #215
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
The Saint Mary´s Aussies also just got a good win against St Johns.

Just finished watching the delayed broadcast. Good game for St. Mary's. I love watching them run their offense against St. John's 3-2 zone, so patiently finding the perimeter shooters. Their two transfer bigs also were impressive.

St. John's struggled against the Gael's D, but the talent is definitely there. Can't believe they have ten seniors on that roster. Sheesh.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #216
MrBug708
Head Coach

What do you know, Lavin lost
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #217
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Watching #3 K-State pull away from #24 VT. Was kinda worried with Curtis Kelly in Frank Martin's doghouse.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #218
Groundhog
Coordinator

Frank Martin's doghouse would be a scary place to be. K-State and VT both very aggressive teams that will do well this year based on today's game.

Ohio State looked really good just now against Florida too. Florida were real sloppy and undisciplined down the stretch, and I'm not at all a fan of that diminutive PG of theirs, can't recall his name. Nasty habit of throwing up bad shots and driving straight into the key without a plan.

Sullinger finished with 26 and 11 for Ohio State for his 2nd straight double-double, but many of those were "easy" slams around the hoop from nice feeds. He really doesn't get much lift when he shoots from the post and had a number of shots blocked because he basically didn't jump.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Early indictments come down in the ticket scandal at KU. Five members of the athletic department are involved thus far. Will be interesting to see how many of these people plea bargain in return for information about further involvement by other members of the department.

http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/story...u6ZRwdvhA.cspx
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #220
hoopsguy
General Manager

At the half, Illini and Longhorns are tied at 45.

It felt like the Longhorns points came easier, partly because they got better looks and partly because every open jump shot felt like it found the bottom of the net.

The Texas bigs dominated the Illini guys. Illinois really needs to send a double at Thompson when he posts, make the guy show that he can pass the ball or make a move to his left instead of going to his right shoulder like he did 3 times.

Didn't take long this season for my wife to ask me to stop yelling at the TV.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #221
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

State scuffled for a half against a game, but inferior, ECU team (my goodness, when was the last time I could say that about State basketball?) before just plowing them in the second half. A 37-29 halftime lead exploded to 64-35 before State throttled back and finished with an 85-65 win. This was in spite of a tough night for CJ Leslie and Javi Gonzalez, and apparently a leg injury for Tracey Smith that might keep him out of the rest of the Charleston tournament.

This team definitely has abilities it didn't used to have, though. I've been waiting quite a while for a State team that could go on scoring binges, rather than just being "gritty and tough", yet still score somewhere around 65 points a game. A two-game sample isn't something to declare a trend yet, but I like what I've seen so far.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #222
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nice win in OT for Texas. Tristan Thompson looks like he is going to live up to the hype and then some. Tomorrow night's game against Pitt should be interesting. Pitt will probably be looking for payback for last year's Horns win.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #223
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas is only down 3 at the half to Pitt, 31-28. Closer game than I thought. But the slow pace helps Pitt.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #224
cartman
Death Herald

Pitt beats Texas 68-66 to win the Coaches v. Cancer Classic. No shame in the Horns loss. They seem to have gotten past the horrible 2nd half of last season, and are making their own mark on this season.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #225
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV steamrolled a Southeastern Louisiana team that won 19 games last year, 92-56 or something like that Wednesday night. Unfortunately I had a reading to go to, so couldn't go.

I am beyond pumped for tomorrow afternoon's game against Wisconsin, though, and if any of y'all were here, I have an extra free ticket.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Josh Selby at KU received a 9 game suspension yesterday and will have to pay back roughly $6K in benefits. Parrish over at CBSSports.com has an interesting take on it.......

In Selby's case, reward clearly outweighs risk - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #227
Butter
Coordinator

I'm sure no one cares other than me, but the Dayton Flyers come back from 16 down in the 2nd half, and beat Ole Miss on the road in OT, 78-71. Huge win for the young Flyers against a mid-level SEC team on the road. A nice resume builder for Dayton, and the A10 who have struggled in the OOC so far.

Also watched UNLV nick Wisconsin by 3. I thought the Rebs were going to choke it late, but they stayed strong on D and pulled it out. Nice win for the Mtn. West.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #228
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

What a silly last few minutes in the Badgers/UNLV game. With just over two minutes and the Badgers down one Jordan Taylor, the PG for WI was dribbling it up past half court and did a crossover and missed it completely with his right hand and went out of bounds... that could have been the difference right there. Then of course the turnover with 8 seconds left underneath the basket. Not sure what Bruiser was thinking bouncing it inbounds.. it would have been 6'10" vs 6'4" on the inbounds with 8 seconds to go down by one, instead the Badgers had 6 seconds to go the length of the floor and try a desperation three. Taylor got an okay look at the three but didn't even come close. Good game, UNLV.

This will be a good game for the Badgers to learn from their mistakes. I don't have toooooo many concerns about this WI team. They will still finish top four in the conference and that will say a lot in the best conference in the country.

Oh, and UNLV shot out of their minds at times. Just chuckin' up threes and draining them... that's the way it goes sometimes.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-20-2010 at 08:51 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #229
Izulde
Head Coach

It should have been UNLV's ball with 8.1 seconds left, which could have been the game-changer. Fortunately, it wasn't.

What an exciting, thrilling, nerve-wracking game, though. One of the most fun and craziest I've ever been to. Can I just say again how much I love Chace Stanback? He's been our best offensive weapon in the early season and he was again tonight. 8/14, 4/7 from behind the arc for 25 points and 2 steals. Oscar Bellfield couldn't miss in the first half. Had 11 of our first 16 points and finished the game with 18 on 7/11 shooting, 4/6 from 3 point range, also with 2 steals and 5 rebounds.

And Justin Hawkins with that final steal and hitting both free throws to give us the insurance we needed to win. My oh my, what a hell of a play and clutch shooting!

That said, we had some problems. We took too many bad shots and our rebounding was horrible on both ends. Like I said, rebounding is going to be our biggest weakness this year and it showed against the Badgers. Still shot 49% overall, 50% from 3 point range, but we need to work more on our shot selection and we need to box out.

I still hold to my prediction of 20 wins and about third in the Mountain West, with an NCAA bid. We're a Top 25 team, but probably in the lower half.

For now though, this was a fantastic win.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #230
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It should have been UNLV's ball with 8.1 seconds left, which could have been the game-changer. Fortunately, it wasn't.

I initially thought that, too but on the replay incredibly the ref got that particular call correct... and, strangely enough, UNLV ended up with the ball at 8.1 seconds anyway. lol
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #231
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh Chace Stanback...I'm glad he found a nice home.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #232
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Oh Chace Stanback...I'm glad he found a nice home.

Much of UNLV's history and success has been built on transfers, so it fits. Just saw that he didn't do well his freshman year at UCLA before transferring.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #233
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think both parties benefited from Stanback taking his game elsewhere
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #234
wade moore
lolzcat

W&M playing @ Syracuse on ESPN3.com...

I expect this to be a tough game for my Tribe with how this season has started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #235
MJ4H
Coordinator

Hey how did McCurdy work out for you guys?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #236
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Hey how did McCurdy work out for you guys?

Overall very well for us. He was a key part to only our 2nd NIT appearance ever last year. He was never a real scoring threat, but he ran our offense well and played solid defense.

Never was a superstar for us, but an important piece of the puzzle.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #237
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
W&M playing @ Syracuse on ESPN3.com...

I expect this to be a tough game for my Tribe with how this season has started.

Don't be fooled by the SU ranking - Jim Boeheim has called this "the most overrated team I've ever had". He's officially reached old man stage where he can say whatever he wants.

Last edited by molson : 11-21-2010 at 01:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #238
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Don't be fooled by the SU ranking - Jim Boeheim has called this "the most overrated team I've ever had". He's officially reached old man stage where he can say whatever he wants.

Well, W&M has been absolutely blown out by both UVA and Richmond this year.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #239
wade moore
lolzcat

That being said, with 2:41 left in the first half it's 25-28 Syracuse with W&M about to shoot 1 free throw.

of course, we kept the other two close in the 1st half as well.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #240
wade moore
lolzcat

Don't look now - W&M 47 - Syracuse 46 3/4 of the way through the game.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #241
wade moore
lolzcat

Apparently I'm posting just for me, but 3:40 left and W&M is up by 1 with 3:40 left on Syracuse on ESPN3.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #242
Logan
Head Coach

Nice win for Rutgers over Miami today. God I love Mike Rice.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #243
rjolley
College Starter

wade, who won the game?
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #244
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Syracuse by 3 (nothing against Syracuse- wade just seemed to be the only one who cared in this thread)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-21-2010 at 07:37 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #245
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I blame Donovan McNabb. Dude is an embarrassment to Syracuse.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #246
spleen1015
Coordinator

I thought UNC was supposed to be a title contender this year?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #247
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
wade, who won the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Syracuse by 3 (nothing against Syracuse- wade just seemed to be the only one who cared in this thread)

SI

Yeah - sprinted out for a W&M Soccer playoff game.

Yes, I'm addicted to W&M sports .

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #248
Swaggs
Coordinator

Minnesota's big men have great hands. I'm not feeling too good about WVU pulling this one out, but both of these teams seem like they will be pretty good this year.

The refs in this tournament have been calling everything and making the games pretty unpleasant to watch.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #249
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Minnesota's big men have great hands.

I think all 4 of them are at 4 fouls, hopefully they can stay on the court until the end.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #250
Swaggs
Coordinator

The refs are being pretty balanced, but just calling everything.

I just counted up and in WVU's first two games, there were ten players that fouled out (between both teams in each game, not just WVU).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote