So much for building on it eh?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #352
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So much for building on it eh?

Sorry to jinx your Bruins Bug. I didn't see the game, but judging from the stats it sounds like either Montana played stifling defense or UCLA was just off tonight.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #353
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Sorry to jinx your Bruins Bug. I didn't see the game, but judging from the stats it sounds like either Montana played stifling defense or UCLA was just off tonight.

Little abit of both. Montana was an NCAA team last year and they have held their opponents to 39% shooting from the field prior to tonight. And UCLA just completely shot like shit.

Of course, it's never just about luck. UCLA flat never even tried, IMO. They weren't into this game at all. So they deserved to lose.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #354
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Little abit of both. Montana was an NCAA team last year and they have held their opponents to 39% shooting from the field prior to tonight. And UCLA just completely shot like shit.

Of course, it's never just about luck. UCLA flat never even tried, IMO. They weren't into this game at all. So they deserved to lose.

It can happen. I imagine it's a tough job for coaches to get players up for each and every game especially when they are lesser known teams that can actually play sound defense. Young players just expect to turn it on whenever they want, but that is not always the case.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #355
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas had a horrible game last night against USC, losing 73-56. The Horns just seemed really flat while USC came out guns blazing and never let up.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #356
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
But there's little question that Mizzou is a top 15 team and Oregon is still a very bad team.

Lets see here. Lost to Georgetown, almost lost to the lowly Ducks, struggled on neutral courts to Wyoming and LaSalle. I think there are plenty of questions if Mizzou is a top 15 team. I believe they played another tight one against a pretty poor team as well.

On paper is sure doesnt look like a top 15 team.

You'd expect a high pressure team like Mizzou to be crushing teams at this point in the season and not sqeaking them out.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-06-2010 at 10:39 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #357
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Lets see here. Lost to Georgetown, almost lost to the lowly Ducks, struggled on neutral courts to Wyoming and LaSalle. I think there are plenty of questions if Mizzou is a top 15 team. I believe they played another tight one against a pretty poor team as well.

On paper is sure doesnt look like a top 15 team.

You'd expect a high pressure team like Mizzou to be crushing teams at this point in the season and not sqeaking them out.

Kenpom has 'em at 36... so on paper they aren't a top 15 team... right now.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Kenpom has 'em at 36... so on paper they aren't a top 15 team... right now.

Right now being the key words there. There's a lot of people finding roles on the team with our top scorer from last year (English) currently struggling with injuries, but with Marcus Denmon and Ricardo Ratliffe emerging as a great inside-outside threat, MU should be just fine. Anderson teams are known for starting slowly and this team is no different.

With that said, MU's only loss is to the #1 RPI team in the nation and it's a game that MU should have won as was noted previously. In addition, all of Mizzou's tough games have been on the road or on neutral courts thus far. They've still got home games against Vandy and Old Dominion (MU has never lost a non-conference game at home under Mike Anderson) and the Illinois game to shore up their resume. I'd expect a 12-2 record heading into conference play.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #359
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
It can happen. I imagine it's a tough job for coaches to get players up for each and every game especially when they are lesser known teams that can actually play sound defense. Young players just expect to turn it on whenever they want, but that is not always the case.

More importantly, it's best just to find a way to win in these early games. People get caught up way too much in scoring margins when coaches are often experimenting with some players and lineups that they won't use when conference play starts. These games are important to find out which players can be useful when the big games start coming later in the year.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #360
Logan
Head Coach

Couple nice matchups tonight at the Jimmy V Classic. Memphis-Kansas is on now followed up by MSU-Cuse.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT basketball makes the football program look like Super Bowl contenders.

There isn't an emptier suit on a bench in American than Paul Useless.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #362
digamma
Torchbearer

It's sort of weird. I'm a little scared that this GT team is going to improve a decent amount over the season just from playing together more. There are some good pieces--Rice and Oliver in particular. I had written off this season as the one that had to happen to get someone to pony up the money to buy out Hewitt. But, in a weak ACC, they may be too good by the end of the season. Maybe CPH can mess it up.

Last edited by digamma : 12-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It's sort of weird. I'm a little scared that this GT team is going to improve a decent amount over the season just from playing together more. There are some good pieces--Rice and Oliver in particular. I had written off this season as the one that had to happen to get someone to pony up the money to buy out Hewitt. But, in a weak ACC, they may be too good by the end of the season. Maybe CPH can mess it up.

Oh didn't you hear, DRad says we're "headed in the right direction".

Apparently we've hired another misbegotten idiot to run the show. Either Radakovich is a damned liar or a damned fool, but either way, after that remark tonight fuck his sorry ass too.

Dwayne Morrison could outcoach the current dimwit & I'm strongly starting to believe that Isiah Thomas might be a better manager of a program.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #364
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Right now being the key words there. There's a lot of people finding roles on the team with our top scorer from last year (English) currently struggling with injuries, but with Marcus Denmon and Ricardo Ratliffe emerging as a great inside-outside threat, MU should be just fine. Anderson teams are known for starting slowly and this team is no different.

With that said, MU's only loss is to the #1 RPI team in the nation and it's a game that MU should have won as was noted previously. In addition, all of Mizzou's tough games have been on the road or on neutral courts thus far. They've still got home games against Vandy and Old Dominion (MU has never lost a non-conference game at home under Mike Anderson) and the Illinois game to shore up their resume. I'd expect a 12-2 record heading into conference play.

You realize RPI is pretty useless as a ranking, right? I mean shit, UNLV had the #1 RPI before they played Reno Saturday night (and won).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #365
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
You realize RPI is pretty useless as a ranking, right? I mean shit, UNLV had the #1 RPI before they played Reno Saturday night (and won).
He's trying to avoid better measures like their kenpom rating...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #366
MJ4H
Coordinator

Everyone knows the best rating to use is the one that rates your team the highest.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #367
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oh didn't you hear, DRad says we're "headed in the right direction".

Apparently we've hired another misbegotten idiot to run the show. Either Radakovich is a damned liar or a damned fool, but either way, after that remark tonight fuck his sorry ass too.

Dwayne Morrison could outcoach the current dimwit & I'm strongly starting to believe that Isiah Thomas might be a better manager of a program.

Let me offer a third scenario...the program is headed in the right direction....[inner voice]because I've finally found someone who will pony up the 7 million to pay off Hewitt[/inner voice].

Oh if that were true.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #368
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

Agreed that it's questionable right now. Usually not real accurate until 10-12 games in, much like Kenpom. With that said, an overtime loss to Georgetown is not going to hurt Mizzou in any way and MU is still a very good team.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #369
Radii
Head Coach

Ok I remember being annoyed all the discussions about early season ratings last year, as my favorite team was rated poorly and i was still under the delusion they would recover from an early season tough schedule... who was rolling those early rankings out??:

One year ago yesterday: Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Official 2009-10 College Basketball Thread

mbbf brags about the kenpom rating as Mizzou is #10, and responds to a "its early this doesn't really mean much does it" post with:

Quote:
There's definitely enough data there to draw meaningful conclusions. The ranking gives the nod to margin of victory and who you've played. Mizzou has already played three teams ranked in the Kenpom top 25, so they're going to get a high ranking despite losing two of those three games. I'm sure you understand that, but thought I'd mention just in case.

and:

Quote:
1/4 of the season is complete, so there is plenty of good info available.

Seriously... really? Last year at this time Mizzou was 5-2 and rated #10 and these glorious ratings systems had plenty of good info available. This year Mizzou is 6-1 and the ratings in the mid-30s and we need a few more weeks for the ratings to have any sort of accuracy at all.

I know, I'm piling on, but when it comes to mbbf, I just can't help myself.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #370
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
OI know, I'm piling on, but when it comes to mbbf, I just can't help myself.
Seriously, he just sets himself up so clearly that it's almost impossible to resist.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #371
Logan
Head Coach

Oof.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #372
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Ok I remember being annoyed all the discussions about early season ratings last year, as my favorite team was rated poorly and i was still under the delusion they would recover from an early season tough schedule... who was rolling those early rankings out??:

One year ago yesterday: Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Official 2009-10 College Basketball Thread

mbbf brags about the kenpom rating as Mizzou is #10, and responds to a "its early this doesn't really mean much does it" post with:

and:

Seriously... really? Last year at this time Mizzou was 5-2 and rated #10 and these glorious ratings systems had plenty of good info available. This year Mizzou is 6-1 and the ratings in the mid-30s and we need a few more weeks for the ratings to have any sort of accuracy at all.

I know, I'm piling on, but when it comes to mbbf, I just can't help myself.

Nothing there that differs from my opinion in this thread. There's information there, but I don't disagree with the poster that the rankings can jump around quite a bit this time of the year.

Obviously, Mizzou has a big game tonight against Vandy that will go a long way in showing what we have on our hands. Nice to finally have a home game.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #373
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas gets a nice 9 point win over Seton Hall in the SEC-Big East Challenge at a neutral court. Seton Hall looked pretty bad without their star scorer, though. Had as big as a 17 pt lead before letting Seton Hall back in and then pulling away near the end.

Some reason for both optimism and concern, but I don't think this team wins that game last season.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #374
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Nice to finally have a home game.

Am I missing a joke here?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #375
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Am I missing a joke here?

No. Mizzou has had three neutral court and one road game previous to this one. There were a couple of tune-up home games, but the games against the more quality teams had been away from home before now.

Another fantastic overtime game tonight. Thankfully this one went to the Tigers. Great to see Marcus Denmon play so well in the second half and win the game for the Tigers only a day after his 20 year old cousin died in a shooting here in KC. Amazing fortitude by the kid.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #376
Logan
Head Coach

A game at the Sprint Center in Kansas City is a stretch to call a neutral court.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #377
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

[quote=Logan;2391405]A game at the Sprint Center in Kansas Ci

I believe RPI considers it 'semi-home'.

Interesting article from Andy Katz about the Vandy-MU game. Sounds like the MU staff still thinks that there's a chance that Tony Mitchell will join MU by second semester.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-tigers-ot-win

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #378
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Big time win for Tennessee on the road against Pitt, led by as many as 21 and won by 7.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #379
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV's first loss of the season, 69-77, against Louisville after getting up to as much as a 9 point lead early in the second half. The game worried me, being an early morning road game and with us playing sloppy in the second half in our most recent wins.

Sure enough, we had far too many turnovers and didn't hit our shots very well, outside of a late run to give us a 38-33 halftime lead and then early in the second half.

Since the Cardinals were #24, I don't know if this loss will be enough to knock us out of the Top 25. We're definitely out of the Top 20, though, which is disappointing.

Still, I'd rather have a game like this early in the season as a wakeup call.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #380
MrBug708
Head Coach

The PAC-10 is still bad
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #381
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wisconsin goes to Marquette and takes care of business. 69-64 final at the Bradley Center. And the former Wisconsin verbal Vander Blue gets his first taste of never beating Wisconsin in his career (I hope).
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #382
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU destroyed Arizona tonight...

BYU is looking like a tough team... MWC right now is looking tough with SDSU (Ranked), UNLV (Ranked) and BYU (Ranked)...

It's going to be a brutal season in the MWC...
Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #383
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not surprised at all that LaSalle gave Villanova all they could handle today. They're a good squad and a young one at that. They were a handful for Mizzou as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola

Pretty cool tradition at a NAIA school.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #385
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina with a big win last night against LSU. Let the lead slip away in the last minute but then took control in overtime to win by 8. Only the second time they have beaten an SEC team and the first time was against South Carolina way back in 1993.

Interestingly enough its the two transfers from South Carolina who may be leading this team to another post-season bid after winning 28 games a year ago. Chad Gray has come on strong after an early season illness and Mike Holmes played his first game for the Chants last night after becoming eligible to play under transfer guidelines. Scored 14 points and 10 rebounds in 22 minutes coming off the bench.

Very curious to see how they will do with the addition of Holmes now for the rest of the season.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #386
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola

Pretty cool tradition at a NAIA school.

Heh. Half my family went to Taylor University and this video was posted all over facebook this morning
Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #387
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good lord. Marcus Denmon and the Mizzou coaching staff attended today's funeral of his cousin who was shot. Gunfire actually broke out at the funeral. Thankfully no one was hurt. What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #388
Logan
Head Coach

Tennessee up 3 on Oakland with 9 minutes left. ESPNU
Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #389
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Good lord. Marcus Denmon and the Mizzou coaching staff attended today's funeral of his cousin who was shot. Gunfire actually broke out at the funeral. Thankfully no one was hurt. What the hell is wrong with people?

You can take a kid out of the hood but cant take the hood out of the kid

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #390
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Good to see Oakland finally win one of these games. They've played tough with Illinois, Michigan State and now finally beat Tennessee.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #391
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From the penthouse of Saturday's demolition of Pitt on the road to the outhouse of losing at home to Oakland as the crowd booed the Vols lack of effort/interest in the game.

Oakland deserved the win, they wanted it more & were more prepared to play.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #392
Drake
assmaster

If I'm a Tennessee basketball fan, I'm really confused about the ceiling for my team right now.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #393
wade moore
lolzcat

Ugh on Tennessee.

But Drexel up on Louisville at half, w00t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #394
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Finally my school does something that is worthy of posting about.

Golden Grizzlies, top of the Summit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #395
wade moore
lolzcat

Drexel beats Louisville and there are probably two CAA teams with a chance of at-large discussion if they take care of business in the conference - Drexel and ODU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #396
Butter
Coordinator

ODU is a very good team. Dayton played by far their best game of the season against them this past Saturday, and still went down by 3. The Monarchs impressed me quite a bit with their rebounding and toughness.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #397
RainMaker
General Manager

It's not that bad of a loss for Tennessee. Oakland isn't a bad team, they hung tight with Purdue earlier in the year.

Not saying they shouldn't have won and shouldn't be disappointed in it, but Oakland will likely win the Summit and end up as a 12-14 seed this year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #398
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Drexel beats Louisville and there are probably two CAA teams with a chance of at-large discussion if they take care of business in the conference - Drexel and ODU.
The conference has really improved over the years and is the cream of the crop when it comes to mid-majors. I've seen some rating systems that have them ahead of the Pac-10 this year.

Crossing my fingers that Northwestern can keep rolling along and make their first NCAA Tournament ever.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #399
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's not that bad of a loss for Tennessee. Oakland isn't a bad team, they hung tight with Purdue earlier in the year.

They lost to Michigan State by one point over the weekend, but the thought was that Tennessee might very well be better than the trio of ranked teams (Illinois being the other) that Oakland had hung in with.

Alas, they aren't.

And with the 8 game suspension of the head coach looming, they aren't likely to get any better, although Pearl hasn't been able to solve the issue of the Amazing Disappearing Hopson or The Unbelievably Difficult Free Throw so it may not matter all that much.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #400
RainMaker
General Manager

Were you a fan of CJ Watson? He's the Bulls backup PG. Sort of torn on him.