Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #401
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The conference has really improved over the years and is the cream of the crop when it comes to mid-majors. I've seen some rating systems that have them ahead of the Pac-10 this year.

Crossing my fingers that Northwestern can keep rolling along and make their first NCAA Tournament ever.

Well, we haven't quite crawled up past the A-10 and the MVC in past years, but right now we're pwning the A-10, so we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Were you a fan of CJ Watson? He's the Bulls backup PG. Sort of torn on him.

He's probably overpaid (2 yrs/$6.5m is what I've seen) but he's fine if you're looking for a PG whose primary instinct is to shoot a mid/long jumper or a three.

I recall him as a non-traditional point who was made much more effective by being paired with a scorer like Chris Lofton. I haven't seen him play that many games as a pro so I'm not sure how much he developed beyond his college years
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #403
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

This seems newsworthy:

Missouri point guard Michael Dixon has been suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Wednesday's action means the sophomore starter won't play Thursday night when the 13th-ranked Tigers host Oral Roberts.

Dixon is averaging 10.7 points and a team-leading 4.3 assists. He scored a season-high 17 points in Missouri's 111-102 loss to Georgetown on Nov. 30 and is one of two players to have started every game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #404
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Well, we haven't quite crawled up past the A-10 and the MVC in past years, but right now we're pwning the A-10, so we'll see.
I thought so too based off H2H and perception, but Sagarin till likes us more than you (and C-USA) although not by very much this year.

Other interesting thing there - he has UConn #1 in the half heavily biased towards W/L results and #31 in the Predictor half that takes scores more heavily into account. Washington is nearly the opposite, with a 39/5 split.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #405
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
This seems newsworthy:

Missouri point guard Michael Dixon has been suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Wednesday's action means the sophomore starter won't play Thursday night when the 13th-ranked Tigers host Oral Roberts.

Dixon is averaging 10.7 points and a team-leading 4.3 assists. He scored a season-high 17 points in Missouri's 111-102 loss to Georgetown on Nov. 30 and is one of two players to have started every game.

Traffic violation.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #406
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Traffic violation.

Never ceases to amaze why college-age kids think they can ignore traffic tickets. He'll be suspended a game or two and be back on the team.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You gotta be f'n shitting me.

UNC-Charlotte beats Tennessee 49-48 ... three days after the now 5-6 49ers kicked their leading scorer off the team.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #408
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He's probably overpaid (2 yrs/$6.5m is what I've seen) but he's fine if you're looking for a PG whose primary instinct is to shoot a mid/long jumper or a three.

I recall him as a non-traditional point who was made much more effective by being paired with a scorer like Chris Lofton. I haven't seen him play that many games as a pro so I'm not sure how much he developed beyond his college years
That's not a bad NBA contract. Pretty typical for a backup.

He's been basically what you described. Kind of a nice spark off the bench and gives the 2nd unit an option. He put up 31 points a month ago when Rose was injured so he has the ability to score. If he was a better ballhandler, I think he'd be more valuable. But for now, he can give a team a solid 10-15 minutes a night.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #409
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You gotta be f'n shitting me.

UNC-Charlotte beats Tennessee 49-48 ... three days after the now 5-6 49ers kicked their leading scorer off the team.
Fine work, UNC-Charlotte. Fine work indeed.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #410
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Gentlemen, the 2010-2011 season officially ends today - polish the trophy and send it to Lawrence....

JOSH SELBY is ELIGIBLE!!!!!!

[/sarcasm]

I really hope Dick Vitale is doing this game today; I need another new TV, and listening him blow UK and Selby might short circuit any tv the game's on.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #411
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(We're KU. Kthxbye)

Sounds like a good game to watch with the volume turned off. *sigh* i hate Dickie V

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #412
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
(We're KU. Kthxbye)

Sounds like a good game to watch with the volume turned off. *sigh* i hate Dickie V

SI

You are the University of Kansas.

damn dyslexics.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #413
Logan
Head Coach

Lost in the Josh Selby debut is that Jio Fontan is making his first appearance with USC today, and seems to be going pretty well with 14 points so far. Fontan was completely jerked around by his old Fordham coach who refused to allow him to transfer to Rutgers, so I'm glad he's finally free and back on the court.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #414
JPhillips
General Manager

Good lord the OSU pep band sounds terrible.

edit: Appears to be some sort of alumni band.

Last edited by JPhillips : 12-18-2010 at 01:53 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #415
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Jared Sullinger is a pretty good basketball player.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #416
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thought Coastal Carolina might have a bit of a letdown after their big win against LSU. That appears to be true because they didn't score 60 points against a good East Carolina team. Fortunately for them, East Carolina didn't score 60 points either. In fact CCU won it with a basket with 3 seconds left to win 59-58. Thrilling win!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #417
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas just lost in overtime to Texas A&M after playing well enough to win and then going completely cold from all over the court for the last 6 minutes of regulation and all of overtime.

Very disappointing. That should've been a win.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #418
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

damn dyslexics.

I don't know why it is- that's always bothered me since I started going to school there, frankly, but it is what they go by so KU it is. UK is Kentucky.

SI

Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #419
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For some reason, one of the Chinese stations was showing the Texas-North Carolina game this morning. I caught most of the second half. What a game! Freshman Cory Joseph hit a turnaround J with less than two seconds left to win the game before basically a hometown crowd for the Tar Heels.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #420
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
For some reason, one of the Chinese stations was showing the Texas-North Carolina game this morning. I caught most of the second half. What a game! Freshman Cory Joseph hit a turnaround J with less than two seconds left to win the game before basically a hometown crowd for the Tar Heels.

grats on the win. Other than watching Larry Drew turn the ball over in some really stupid spots, I was happy w/ the Heels effort. They are more aggressive and have less possessions where they throw the ball around the perimeter looking lost for 25 seconds than they did 10 games ago. Baby steps.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #421
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

damn dyslexics.

For KU, it apparently to be the preferred shorthand reference of students attending the school in the late 19th century. No rhyme or reason for why they decided this -- it wasn't about eastern schools with the UK name -- it was just easier to say KU in the songs they'd made and it stuck. Seemed to be a familiar midwestern University thing, too.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #422
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Last tune up out of the way for Mizzou. Looking forward to the big game vs. Illinois next week. Would love to see the guys make it two in a row over the Illini.

Word came down after tonight's game that Michael Dixon will return to practice tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #423
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure what has turned me off about the UConn women's amazing record (and I do have to admit it is amazing), but sheesh. Can it really be fun for a team when "UConn entered the game winning its previous 87 in a row by an average of 33.3 points"? Can the coach's ego grow any larger? How about if he quits, joins another college, and tries to build that program up? What happened to the "challenge"? Another day, another win, another paycheck...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #424
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Last tune up out of the way for Mizzou. Looking forward to the big game vs. Illinois next week. Would love to see the guys make it two in a row over the Illini.

Word came down after tonight's game that Michael Dixon will return to practice tomorrow.

Can't wait. Me and my friends have been going for years. This year it gives a 2-day break before Christmas so we can be all the more rowdier! It kind of sucks that the Illini dropped that game this weekend to Illinois-Chicago but I will still love beating them even if they were 0-12.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #425
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I'm not sure what has turned me off about the UConn women's amazing record (and I do have to admit it is amazing), but sheesh. Can it really be fun for a team when "UConn entered the game winning its previous 87 in a row by an average of 33.3 points"? Can the coach's ego grow any larger? How about if he quits, joins another college, and tries to build that program up? What happened to the "challenge"? Another day, another win, another paycheck...

What's turned me off is the record intermingling. I'm sorry, but women's basketball is a different sport than men's basketball. To me, in order to be the same sport for records purposes, there has to at least be some theoretical possibility that the teams involved could actually play each other -- i.e. you have to at least exist in the same sporting universe. A women's team could never play a men's team -- therefore, the sports are different and should have their own separate record books. Auriemma going to the "If you don't accept this, it means you want all women in the kitchen!" card is embarrassingly stupid and obnoxious and makes me have animosity for the women's game that I didn't otherwise have (until UNO exploded their athletics department, I was a women's basketball season ticket holder).

Similarly, Pat Summitt and Bob Knight, Don Meyer, et al being on the same list... sorry, but no. Pat Summitt is great, but these people coach in entirely different worlds from each other.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #426
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
What's turned me off is the record intermingling. I'm sorry, but women's basketball is a different sport than men's basketball. To me, in order to be the same sport for records purposes, there has to at least be some theoretical possibility that the teams involved could actually play each other -- i.e. you have to at least exist in the same sporting universe. A women's team could never play a men's team -- therefore, the sports are different and should have their own separate record books. Auriemma going to the "If you don't accept this, it means you want all women in the kitchen!" card is embarrassingly stupid and obnoxious and makes me have animosity for the women's game that I didn't otherwise have (until UNO exploded their athletics department, I was a women's basketball season ticket holder).

Similarly, Pat Summitt and Bob Knight, Don Meyer, et al being on the same list... sorry, but no. Pat Summitt is great, but these people coach in entirely different worlds from each other.

I'm with you on the different sports things and that the streaks aren't as easy to compare as they have been made. I think it's clear that, either way (women's basketball or men's basketball), both records are amazing accomplishments. But I agree, too, that a record set in women's basketball should have no effect on the view of a similar type of rcord set in men's basketball. They're as different as comparing Joltin' Joe's hit streak and Ripken's consecutive game streak--completely different types of competitions.

Regardless, the UConn women's achievement should certainly be celebrated--but the point of celebration should have been whenever they passed the previous women's record for consecutive victories. And for all I know, maybe it was celebrated then, but I don't recall it much. I don't even know how many wins that was.

Now, as to your last, I disagree there. While the competition is different, the concept of being a leader and teacher of young people (men or women) and showing them how to win championships is pretty much the same, and Summit and Auriemma, IMO, are fitting to be included among college's great coaches, along with Knight or Wooden or Coach K. I have no doubt if they switched the genders of their sports, they would still find success (although Summitt would have to deal with the possible bias against her being a woman coaching a men's sport, an unknown factor).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #427
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Now, as to your last, I disagree there. While the competition is different, the concept of being a leader and teacher of young people (men or women) and showing them how to win championships is pretty much the same, and Summit and Auriemma, IMO, are fitting to be included among college's great coaches, along with Knight or Wooden or Coach K. I have no doubt if they switched the genders of their sports, they would still find success (although Summitt would have to deal with the possible bias against her being a woman coaching a men's sport, an unknown factor).

Don't misunderstand -- I think Summitt and Auriemma are great coaches and, in ability, stack up just fine with Knight, K, etc. I just think they belong in different record books. Doesn't mean they are any less capable, just that they coach in a different sporting universe from each other.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #428
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't misunderstand -- I think Summitt and Auriemma are great coaches and, in ability, stack up just fine with Knight, K, etc. I just think they belong in different record books. Doesn't mean they are any less capable, just that they coach in a different sporting universe from each other.

Yeah, sorry if I misunderstood you. I agree with your point as expressed here.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #429
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly both suspended for three games for receiving impermissible benefits.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #430
Izulde
Head Coach

You see these, Kansas State?! *raises middle fingers* These are for you! God damn bullshit 3 point ridiculous making buzzer beater before halftime shot jagoffs.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #431
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly both suspended for three games for receiving impermissible benefits.

Minimum 3 games for Kelly...possibly longer.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #432
Izulde
Head Coach

Pullen 3 games, Kelly TBD.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #433
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

The records are not intermingled. UConn has the NCAA Division I women's record and UCLA has the Division I men's record. Two separate records for two separate competitions. As in most cases, your animosity should be directed at the the sports media. They are the ones who have created the "combined" record. The Auriemma comments were idiotic, but I can't say I blame him too much. IMO the people who say "well it's just women's basketball" are trying to denigrate the accomplishment and are no better than those who making this out to be the the equivalent of the 72 Lakers.....wait they only won 33 straight. UConn's women are better than them
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #434
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV grinds out the 63-59 road win over #11 Kansas State despite an awful 38.2% shooting night and 2 of 13 (15.4%) from 3 point range. Free throw shooting saved our bacon, both our making and K-State missing. Tre'Von Willis had a key game with 16 points, finally in the starting lineup. He and Oscar Bellfield were a combined 10/10 from the charity stripe and Bellfield came up with a critical late-game beautiful block on a Wildcat fast break and clutch three point shot shortly thereafter. Derrick Jasper did his usual great boarding with 8 rebounds.

An ugly win, yes, but a very important win nonetheless.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #435
RainMaker
General Manager

I feel like more people would be accepting of the UConn record if Geno wasn't such a raging douche.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #436
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
GREAT win for the Horns, beating Michigan State in East Lansing, 67-55. They played a complete game in a hostile environment.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Time to see how Mizzou and Illinois look

SI

Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #438
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
GREAT win for the Horns, beating Michigan State in East Lansing, 67-55. They played a complete game in a hostile environment.

I know it's at State and this was a team deemed #2 in the country to start, but they are currently 0-4 against ranked teams and had a mere one point win against a frisky Oakland team. I'm not saying Oakland is bad, but it's a team that MSU should be able to handle and yet struggled to do so.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #439
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Mizzou-Illinois has been a really fun game so far

SI

Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #440
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Really lame intentional foul call there.

There are so many times late in a game where a foul is intentional. They need to change that rule to mean "intentional" as in with intent to harm. But not intentional as in "strategic foul".

SI

Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #441
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Really lame intentional foul call there.

There are so many times late in a game where a foul is intentional. They need to change that rule to mean "intentional" as in with intent to harm. But not intentional as in "strategic foul".

SI

Pretty funny. Higgins, who blew two calls that cost Mizzou a win against Georgetown, makes an equally lousy call in the Illini game. Really don't think it would have changed the outcome in this game (Mizzou likely has a 5 point lead with less than a minute to go even without the intentional foul). It continues to amaze me how Higgins continues to be allowed to referee D-I games. It's a travesty.

Great win for Mizzou in the end and a very good night for the B12. With the exception of the Kansas State debacle, the Big 12 has had a very good non-conference run thus far.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #442
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

5 point? There was a 3 at the other end to cut it to one. Then the layup gives Mizzou a 3 point lead with a foul for a possible 4 point lead on the FT. Don't get me wrong, Mizzou still likely wins. But that was a crappy call that pretty much ended the game.

Now, watching the Gonzaga-Xavier game: that's what an intentional foul call is supposed to be. They just had a guy pretty much hammer one across the neck- that's an intentional foul like we're talking about.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #443
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
5 point? There was a 3 at the other end to cut it to one. Then the layup gives Mizzou a 3 point lead with a foul for a possible 4 point lead. Don't get me wrong, Mizzou still likely wins. But that was crap.

SI

My bad. You're correct. 4 points, not 5. And yes, it was terrible.

Also, I almost forgot about the timeout that Higgins granted Weber while there was a loose ball (Denmon had knocked the ball away and Weber clearly hadn't called the TO during possession).

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-22-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #444
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

NC State 72, Delaware State 70, and it took a late tip-in to get that margin. All the good feelings surrounding the program have pretty much evaporated since the Georgetown loss. No wins against quality opponents (including a total meltdown at Wisconsin) and two embarrassing "wins" against Youngstown State and Delaware State are translating into an extraordinarily hot seat for Sidney Lowe right now (some corners of the internet fanbase are ready for new AD Debbie Yow to put a pink slip in Sid's stocking and not let this go on any further).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #445
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I know it's at State and this was a team deemed #2 in the country to start, but they are currently 0-4 against ranked teams and had a mere one point win against a frisky Oakland team. I'm not saying Oakland is bad, but it's a team that MSU should be able to handle and yet struggled to do so.

Although breaking a 52 home non-conference winning streak is rather impressive no matter how messed up State currently is. I believe Duke was the last team to do it.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #446
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mizzou-Illinois has been a really fun game so far

SI

It was a blast. I have been going for years (with the exception of a few years in the middle where the ticket was impossible to get) I don't know how it showed through on tv last night but the atmposhere was electric. I haven't seen it like this in a while. (Two years ago may have been the low point of this game for both programs)

Great to get a win and have only Old Dominion really standing in our way of a 14-1 start heading into conference play. I am not sure we will be able to hang in Lawrence yet but I put every other game on our schedule as winnable. I think we drop at KU, at KSU, vs either KU/KSU/or Baylor, and then a letdown like CU or Nebraska to finish the big 12 season 26-5/12-4 heading into the big 12 tournament. The big 12 is going to be really fun this year!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #447
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #448
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geez, did Indiana really lose to Colorado????? Ouch.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #449
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Heard from a good friend that Curtis Kelly's suspension will end his career.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee manages to hold off Belmont at home 66-65 after blowing a 13 point 1st half lead. Needed a Hopson layup with 7 seconds left + a missed 3p attempt by Belmont in order to break their three game losing streak.