Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #151
Travis
Pro Rookie

I spent the whole clothes washing scene just waiting for a zombie or two (or fifty) to start crawling out of the water at them. Thought for sure we were about to see them lose a lady or two with them being distracted doing the clothes/talking then dealing with that fun chap.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #152
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
It beats the hell out of any other scripted television show right now.

I don't know about this one. I could list my complaints about the show, but I do feel it's decent overall. I really don't like the main guy though, that's probably what takes me away from the show the most. If that's the character in the comic, that's fine, I just feel the actor is boring.

I will watch the entire first season, and see where they go from there. Not liking the direction so far. Pilot episode was great, but since then it hasn't been.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #153
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Is this show going to be just about "survival"? Absolutely not. That would be an incredibly dull show if it centered around raiding Wal-Marts for food, ciphoning gas from broken down cars, getting water, finding medical supplies, etc.

You and I are very different people. Showing all that while dodging Zs all the way would be amazing.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #154
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You and I are very different people. Showing all that while dodging Zs all the way would be amazing.

Don't get me wrong. I think that'd make for a pretty fun episode or a few scenes in an episode and I've enjoyed the "action" scenes they've had so far, but that can't be all the show is about. If you didn't give a crap about the characters/people involved, who would care if random person X was killed?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-19-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #155
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think one of the problems I have so far is that I don't care about the characters. I don't even know their names yet, and it's been three episodes. I know they've said names, they just don't stick for me. The most I cared about any character so far has been the black dad and his son. I guess I remember Glen's name, and I'm interested in cop #2's character (the one that lied about his partner being dead). There's been OK action, but nothing awesome yet. And whatever happened to the frickin' grenade that cop #1 picked up? They showed him taking it in the first episode. And I've been waiting for a zombie blast since then.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #156
Bad-example
College Starter

I'm willing to wait and see what kind of show this ends up being. In my experience it often takes around 5-6 episodes of a new show to really judge it. I suspect this show might take until next season to really find itself.

The group dynamics of the survivors seems to be the hardest thing to get right in zombie-type apocalypse movies/shows. 28 Days Later was a great movie until it went to shit halfway through. I hope this show can rise above dreck like that.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #157
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I'm willing to wait and see what kind of show this ends up being. In my experience it often takes around 5-6 episodes of a new show to really judge it. I suspect this show might take until next season to really find itself.

The group dynamics of the survivors seems to be the hardest thing to get right in zombie-type apocalypse movies/shows. 28 Days Later was a great movie until it went to shit halfway through. I hope this show can rise above dreck like that.

Same here. I'm hoping that by the end of the first season it establishes itself. 28 Days Later is my top example of a movie that had one very disappointing half and one great half. Once they met up with the army people and in that house, it just became a different, crappy movie.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #158
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think one of the problems I have so far is that I don't care about the characters. I don't even know their names yet, and it's been three episodes. I know they've said names, they just don't stick for me. The most I cared about any character so far has been the black dad and his son. I guess I remember Glen's name, and I'm interested in cop #2's character (the one that lied about his partner being dead). There's been OK action, but nothing awesome yet. And whatever happened to the frickin' grenade that cop #1 picked up? They showed him taking it in the first episode. And I've been waiting for a zombie blast since then.

totally agree with all of that. although I assume Walt 2.0 and his dad will be back.

and yeah, HB, I totally do want to watch a show that goes into mundane detail about survival.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #159
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
totally agree with all of that. although I assume Walt 2.0 and his dad will be back.

and yeah, HB, I totally do want to watch a show that goes into mundane detail about survival.

Hopefully, with Walt 2.0 they've corrected the growth spurt sub-routine error their plagued the earlier version. No one wants to have the character written out of the show because he becomes "Giant Walt" again.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #160
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and I do like the show even though I am like the only male on the planet who is not totally geeked about zombie movies.

I just get annoyed when I have to really focus on suspending belief. It's why I loved The Wire so much - so awesomely realistic. After that, I watch something like Hawaii 5-0 or Rizzoli & Iles when the cops take a photo and press a few buttons to triangulate the location on google maps based on the angle of shadows and I want throw my remote at the TV. But, it's Angie Fucking Harmon and I would watch a TV version of Freddie Got Fingered if she was in it.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well that certainly picked up the action quotient a bit.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well that certainly picked up the action quotient a bit.

Yeah, just a bit. The action and the bounty count. Brutal.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #163
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Good episode - nice mix of action with some interesting twists as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: interesting twists -- I suspect there'll be some criticism of the twist with the other survivors but I thought it was a nice touch. It seems pretty clear to me that there's an undercurrent of "you just never know about people" that runs through the story & while this one might have been a bit saccharine taken in isolation, on balance with some of the assholes they've encountered it worked fine for me.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #165
Kodos
Resident Alien

They've really veered off the path from the book, which is absolutely fine by me. Enjoying the show, glad to see some good zombie action.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #166
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Spoiler
Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
re: interesting twists -- I suspect there'll be some criticism of the twist with the other survivors but I thought it was a nice touch. It seems pretty clear to me that there's an undercurrent of "you just never know about people" that runs through the story & while this one might have been a bit saccharine taken in isolation, on balance with some of the assholes they've encountered it worked fine for me.

I liked the twist. I didn't see it coming and wasn't exactly sure how they were going to get out of that situation. Also, the whole notion that other people are the real horror/evil in zombie films is pretty much well known, so I didn't mind seeing two different groups meeting, tensions flaring based on experience and inehrent mistrust and then both sort of realizing they are just trying to do what they can to get by and coming to a peaceful understanding of it.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-22-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #168
Drake
assmaster

Peaceful understanding has no place in a zombie film.

(That said, i enjoyed the twist, saccharine or not.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #169
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Peaceful understanding has no place in a zombie film.

(That said, i enjoyed the twist, saccharine or not.)

Well, they certainly tried to make up for it at the end there.

Everyone became a little bit too relaxed with the whole fish fry and birthday present situation. Yeah, you really can't let your guard down like that.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #170
Drake
assmaster

I thought the ending was particularly well scripted...

Spoiler
Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I liked what they did with Darryl - I liked how they showed that he had some self-mastery, and that he cared about Glen but then he didn't and then he did again... he is turning into a more complex character than just some crazy hair-trigger redneck.

Sure, he's a bit angry and bitter and likely to fly off the handle, but when it comes right down to it, he'll pitch in and do what's best for the group, even if that means Rick has to keep pointing a gun at his head to reason with him. It will be really interesting to see what he does if/when Merle comes back. He obviously loves and cares for his brother, but he's also forming a bound with Rick, Glen, etc. Does he stop Merle from taking his revenge? Does he try to explain they went back there for him? I don't see him just standing idly by while Merle tries to kill Rick/Glen/Andrea/T-Dog or whomever.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #172
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I thought the ending was particularly well scripted...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #173
Bad-example
College Starter

I understand 'spoilering' things from the comic book. Is it necessary to spoiler stuff that has already aired as well?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #174
Bad-example
College Starter

Spoiler
Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #175
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't think we need to add spolier tags when discussing something that happened on an episode that already aired.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #176
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't think we need to add spolier tags when discussing something that happened on an episode that already aired.

this

Fantastic episode...and you know what? This episode wouldn't have had half the effect it did if it weren't for the slow, character development based last pair.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #177
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I understand 'spoilering' things from the comic book. Is it necessary to spoiler stuff that has already aired as well?

I only did it to make sure there weren't people that had not watched this episode yet reading the thread, although I guess if they were, they were trying to be spoiled.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #178
Swaggs
Coordinator

I really enjoyed last night's episode.

The potential for disaster, at any time, makes almost every scene have considerable tension for me. The beginning, where the two sisters were fishing, I was completely expecting one of them to hook a zombie or at least something other than a fish.

I also like how they actually succeeded in lulling us (or at least me) into forgetting the threat during the fish fry for a bit. Also cool that they killed off one of the leading (billed) characters so early. And after she died, an already intense scene turned even more tense with the possibility that she might turn while here sister was holding her.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
JK's spoiler theory

My son had the same take.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #180
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I really enjoyed last night's episode.

The potential for disaster, at any time, makes almost every scene have considerable tension for me. The beginning, where the two sisters were fishing, I was completely expecting one of them to hook a zombie or at least something other than a fish.

I also like how they actually succeeded in lulling us (or at least me) into forgetting the threat during the fish fry for a bit. Also cool that they killed off one of the leading (billed) characters so early. And after she died, an already intense scene turned even more tense with the possibility that she might turn while here sister was holding her.

My reactions exactly to both the fishing and the dead sister scenes.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #181
Drake
assmaster

Quote:

Thank God. I felt stoopid using the spoiler tags, but after having been bitched out on enough boards for not calling spoilers on shows that aired earlier in the week (because "some people DVR, nimrod!!!"), I've started erring on the side of caution because it's just not worth the argument.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #182
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Ok good. I'm not the only one then. I think it was definitely implied when they couldn't find their ride home. I could be wrong though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #183
Bad-example
College Starter

I had terribly disturbing zombie nightmares all night long. Loosely based on the show, I was in a group of terribly stupid people that wouldn't listen to a thing I said. Those assholes got me killed three times last night.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #184
JediKooter
Coordinator

How short was the respawn time?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #185
Bad-example
College Starter

Hard to judge in dreamtime.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #186
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ah man. Did you at least get to change maps?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #187
StLee
High School Varsity

I intentionally hold off on reading these threads so that I don't get spoiled!

Living in Korea means that I can't watch most things live (though I do wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning to watch football). Anyway, I just finished watching episode four, and I like where the show could go. I was a little put off by episodes two and three because they had a lot less action than this kind of show should have. If it's going to be a long-term show, they need to constantly balance character building/tension with zombie slaughtering.

I would expect episode five features the survivors trying to solve the mystery. Merle (is that the right name? One-handed redneck) seems likely, but I can't figure out how exactly. I'll watch episode four one more time with my wife, who was ready to bail on the show because she is a zombie fan who likes for the zombies to be featured, but I think she'll like this one and hopefully episodes five and six spend at least 15 of the 45 minutes showing zombies.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #188
Kodos
Resident Alien

All Merle would have to do would be get some zombies on his tail, and then drive slowly enough for them to keep up. Lead 'em right to the camp. No problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #189
samifan24
Pro Starter

I thought last night's episode was fantastic. I had been down on the show after episodes two and three but last night's episode was the playoff for those slow, character development-centic episodes.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
All Merle would have to do would be get some zombies on his tail, and then drive slowly enough for them to keep up. Lead 'em right to the camp. No problem.

Except that our fast-walking returnees didn't indicate seeing any sign of him on the way in & the van isn't really an off-road vehicle. He could have driven past I suppose, but it still wrinkles his involvement in my mind.

Also, hard to tell in the dark, but wasn't the zombie approach from the side of camp away from the road? Our heroes seemed to come in from a different angle (from the right, as you looked up the hill) whereas the zeds appeared to be mostly coming from the left, both on the low ground & on the high ground.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-22-2010 at 10:20 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #191
Subby
lolzcat

Just watched it. Not so hard to believe that a horde found their way to camp. Maybe they were downwind and smelled BRAIIINNSSS. The zed feeding on the deer carcass a few weeks ago had to foreshadow that there were more on the way.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 11-22-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

18-49 down 0.1 but total viewers actually up slightly from previous week.

‘The Walking Dead’: Ratings Still Lively for Fourth Episode
Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #193
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I would rather watch this type of show. Something based on World War Z would be fantastic. I think the first episode's situation with the tank was a perfect example of this type of theme.

I don't need a whole bunch of relationship nonsense. Give me Mad Max, a pike, and stick him in the Walmart.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #194
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Give me Mad Max, a pike, and stick him in the Walmart.

Is Walmart some teen slang for bunghole these days?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was unable to watch Episode 3 when it happened, and couldn't get around to checking it out on ITunes until last night. THen I watched my DVR'd Episode 4 today, so now I can finally come in this thread.

I see a lot of down comments on Episode 3, but I actually thought that episode was pretty powerful. I enjoyed Episode 4, too. I'll echo I was sitting there, pretty tense, waiting for the younger girl to turn and attack her sister.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-23-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #196
DanGarion
Coordinator

Two people here mentioned they thought the younger sister was going to turn. But it was my understanding from the 1st episode when the father was talking about his wife turning that the process is a couple days. The person dies and then comes back as a zombie in a couple days. So although my wife thought she was going to turn then, I was pretty well set it wasn't going to happen.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Two people here mentioned they thought the younger sister was going to turn. But it was my understanding from the 1st episode when the father was talking about his wife turning that the process is a couple days. The person dies and then comes back as a zombie in a couple days. So although my wife thought she was going to turn then, I was pretty well set it wasn't going to happen.

I actually had that in the back of my mind, too, so on some level I figured she wouldn't turn.

But sure as hell it didn't help me much while I was sitting there in the middle of watching it. Even though I thought there had to be some passing of time, I still was tense waiting for the sudden zombie attack.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
But sure as hell it didn't help me much while I was sitting there in the middle of watching it. Even though I thought there had to be some passing of time, I still was tense waiting for the sudden zombie attack.

This.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #199
samifan24
Pro Starter

What do you guys think they'll do with the younger sister now? Kill her immediately? Wait till she turns and capture her and tie her up somewhere?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #200
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'll agree with most that this was a better episode than the previous two, although I didn't particularly care for the vatos. I don't buy into a lot of the character interactions because they seem to be missing a critical element: fear. Like, they can manufacture tension through dialog and situations, but it feels like the same tried and true methods used in myriad crime and relationship drama, and the results feel similarly flavored. Although they're pretty good at establishing tension, they have a very hard time establishing and then maintaining the feelings of fear or desperation (especially when the zombies aren't on screen).

The piece with the vatos was a prime example, where every interaction and piece of dialog was tense, but it felt like I was watching the Shield or something similar. The characters are able to build up heat with eachother, but I've yet to see the tension/fear of the setting seep into the characters/dialog when they're not dealing with the zombies directly (and sometimes even when they are). Jim had some of that fear in today's episode, and the pilot episode was full of it, but it seems to come and go otherwise. Certainly the point of tonight's episode may have been exactly that....the camp had let their guard go down too much...but I'm not even necessarily talking about that kind of obvious and direct fear, where the character's have to declare "I'm scared!" every ten seconds (which they've certainly tried), it may be just as simple as people aren't quite antsy/desperate enough. Perhaps tonight's episode signals a change in mood.

Crap-ass moment of the week: Door ex machina. You think someone would've noticed/mentioned the second, unchained rooftop door when discussing the Merle situation. "Maybe he went down *here*" Indeed. Secondary: another Lost comparison, as the sudden zombie horde attack revealed the camp apparently has a buffer layer of folks who are less attractive/interesting, but more delicious.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-23-2010 at 09:23 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote