Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #301
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Good Lord...SCOTT FUCKING STAPP SANG GOD BLESS AMERICA at the Tigers game!

W.T.F. ?????

That was awful.

"Gawd be-lersh O-Meri-cooooo, Myee Hoooorm Schweet Hooooooooooorm!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #302
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Manny Ramirez forced to retire:

Manny Ramirez has retired, Major League Baseball has announced. MLB says it notified Ramirez of "an issue" under its drug program and that the longtime slugger decided to retire instead of continuing with the process, according to Bill Shaikin of the LA Times (on Twitter).

I guess his doctor "accidentally" prescribed him something that violated the MLB drug policy AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #303
bhlloy
Coordinator

Might be best case scenario for the Rays - fans were already booing him and do you really want him around all that young talent in what looks like it's going to be a tough start to the season?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #304
kingfc22
Head Coach

And Brian Wilson blows his first save opportunity of the year.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I guess his doctor "accidentally" prescribed him something that violated the MLB drug policy AGAIN.

But I'm sure the baby will be beautiful
Old 04-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #306
kingfc22
Head Coach

2 outs and nobody on....Hit, wild pitch, walk and a hit by Sandoval and the game is tied at 4. Phew.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #307
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Giants baseball - torture.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #308
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Games 1-6
Games 2-7
Games 3-8
Games 4-9
Games 5-10
Games 154-159
Games 155-160
Games 156-161
Games 157-162

Twenty-seven, huh?

Whoopsie!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #309
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But I'm sure the baby will be beautiful

Damn you, Jon! I was going to make the "I guess Manny's pregnant again" joke

SI

Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #310
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

That Jason Heyward triple would have come in handy in the first inning, you know, when the Braves had people on base.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #311
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Sure it does. Facing better pitches and not faring as well. At the bottom of the order, why throw him anything he can hit? He can wait on a mistake instead of worrying about being challenged.

Not your best hitter, though.

No, not your best hitter. Your best hitter should never hit 6th in the lineup. And I'm not sure how he's going to base his decisions on 39 at bats from last year. How anyone can determine that it's better if Nate McClouth gets an extra AB a game than Jason Heyward is beyond me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
No, not your best hitter. Your best hitter should never hit 6th in the lineup.

Hitting higher in the lineup he may not be the team's best hitter.

Quote:
And I'm not sure how he's going to base his decisions on 39 at bats from last year.

Please note that rationale was strictly a hypothesis I threw out in the discussion here. I haven't seen any explanation of it anywhere that indicated anything of that sort (or any explanation at all for that matter).

edit to add: A little searching & I found this explanation of the move, which points to it being driven by confidence/hopes for McLouth than anything to do with Heyward.

Gonzalez likes the power/speed potential McLouth brings to the top of his lineup, and also likes having Heyward in a spot where he will draw regular opportunities to drive in runs. This seems to make sense to Chipper Jones, whose presence in the third spot should help McLouth draw a regular array of fastballs.

"[McLouth] has swung the bat pretty good and you just hope he continues to do that out of the two-hole, because you need to have his speed at the top of the lineup, because it helps us to be able to manufacture runs," Jones said. "He's a good bunter. So with [leadoff hitter Martin Prado] always on base, [McLouth] can be a threat to bunt, hit-and-run, double in the gap and hit for some power."

McLouth impressed during Spring Training and experienced some early-season encouragement with the RBI double he drilled in Sunday afternoon's six-run eighth inning against the Nationals. The 29-year-old center fielder has provided reason to believe he won't repeat the nightmare experienced last year, when he hit .190 with a .298 on-base percentage.

Gonzalez believes McLouth is capable of producing the All-Star credentials he had in 2008, when he hit .276 with 26 homers and 23 stolen bases for the Pirates. Most of his success that season came while he was hitting leadoff or in the third spot.

Stats and trends obviously influence how Gonzalez composes his lineup. But he admits that his decision to begin this season with McLouth in the two-hole was also partially influenced by the desire to allow his center fielder to feel comfortable and know the club is still confident in his abilities.

"We're dealing with humans," Gonzalez said. "If Nate is swinging the bat and he's feeling good up there and he's comfortable, then why not? The Washington Nationals have the $158 million man [Jayson Werth] or whatever hitting second. That fits his team at this point, so why not?"

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_atl&c_id=atl

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-08-2011 at 07:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #313
Ksyrup

Colorado Rockies ROOTS sports network is annoying as hell. They're running texts or tweets or some shit on the bottom line. This is like watching an MTV-produced baseball broadcast. I don't mind running scores and stuff, but mindless crap texts about having a crush on Seth Smith? Really?!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-08-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jim Tracy inexplicably pitches to Jose Tabata in the bottom of the 14th. There were two outs and the pitchers spot was next. No more pitchers or batters available.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #315
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Jim Tracy inexplicably pitches to Jose Tabata in the bottom of the 14th. There were two outs and the pitchers spot was next. No more pitchers or batters available.

There is an explanation. Clint Hurdle had McCutcheon stand in the on-deck circle, possibly tricking the Rockies into thinking he was up next. So they pitched to Tabata rather than "McCutcheon." Hurdle was hilarious about it afterwards, saying they would never do such a thing and that he had McCutcheon out there for assistance on the slide/play at the plate in case there was one. Riiiiight. I think Jim Tracy got played.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #316
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, they made mention of that on the radio broadcast. If Tracy is too dumb to not check his lineup card. Well maybe he is.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #317
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
There is an explanation. Clint Hurdle had McCutcheon stand in the on-deck circle, possibly tricking the Rockies into thinking he was up next. So they pitched to Tabata rather than "McCutcheon." Hurdle was hilarious about it afterwards, saying they would never do such a thing and that he had McCutcheon out there for assistance on the slide/play at the plate in case there was one. Riiiiight. I think Jim Tracy got played.

I love that, I watched a portion of that game and the Pirates have some good young talent and a manager in Hurdle that seems to be a good fit. Would be nice if the ownership makes a concerted effort to keep them together for a few seasons.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #318
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll trust the overall numbers that suggest Hurdle isn't that great of a manager. But, for instance, he brought in Hanrahan in the 8th inning the other day to get a key out. As someone who traditionally hates the way that closers are used, I enjoyed that.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-
The Pirates still need at least 2-3 better starting pitchers in order to become a playoff level team. And possibly at least one more batter at 1b/RF. But this team will be together for at least 3 years due to the fact that arbitration will be cheap in that timeframe.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #320
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus, Jeter can't even steal second on a slow curve in the dirt.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #321
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Hurdle outsmarting Tracy (Steve, did you read Dejan's explanation of it?) was hilarious - Jim Tracy is really that fucking stupid, as I'm sure plently of the Dodger fans here could vouch for.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #322
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola:

Did Clint Hurdle pull a fast one on Jim Tracy in extra innings? - Big League Stew - MLB*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ning-links-4-9

Last edited by Crapshoot : 04-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #323
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
dola-
The Pirates still need at least 2-3 better starting pitchers in order to become a playoff level team. And possibly at least one more batter at 1b/RF. But this team will be together for at least 3 years due to the fact that arbitration will be cheap in that timeframe.

I actually think there is some hope. The farm system was completely empty when Huntington took over, and now there's some talent there (Taillon, Allie, Heredia, Locke, Owens, etc etc) especially amongst the arms. Given the attrition rate, if a couple pan out, they will have done well.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #324
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Hurdle outsmarting Tracy (Steve, did you read Dejan's explanation of it?) was hilarious - Jim Tracy is really that fucking stupid, as I'm sure plently of the Dodger fans here could vouch for.

It wouldn't suprise me if Tracy was really that dumb.

Tabata is great for being 22 years old, but he'd still be good at age 25(if that's his real age)

Last edited by stevew : 04-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #325
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Giants’ generosity a godsend to ill Loewenstein - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Cool story on the Yahoo MLB front page

SI

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #326
samifan24
Pro Starter

Six in a row for the Tribe. Yes!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #327
samifan24
Pro Starter

By the way, Milton Bradley wore earplugs late in tonight's home game at Safeco Field. This after he stopped the game in the middle of an inning and trotted in from the outfield to talk to an umpire and later appeared to be tearing up while batting.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #328
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

What a finish at AT&T tonight.

I'm possibly Tejada's biggest critic, but boy, what a game.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #329
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
What a finish at AT&T tonight.

I'm possibly Tejada's biggest critic, but boy, what a game.

It's not too hard when you put Franklin out there night after night.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #330
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just got home from the Giants game. Crowd was electric. Ring ceremony was awesome especially when they presented rings to the franchise's Hall of Famers. Very, VERY classy!

Add in 9 innings of well played ball, some torture and a walk off hit to make it a fantastic day/night!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #331
Johnny93g
College Starter

An amazing marathon between the Jays and Angels ends 6-5 for Anaheim in 14 innings. The Angels needed some help from Umpire Bob Davidson who raped the Jays.

In the 13th, the potential winning run is wiped out because Yunel Escobar, running from 2nd to 3rd, is ruled to have interfered with the Angels third baseman without touching him, the ball, or really doing anything other then running to 3rd. If you see the replay, you'll see how awful this call was. He stole the game.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #332
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
It's not too hard when you put Franklin out there night after night.

The stuff (well, whatever stuff he did have) is gone, eh? Who takes over?

PS - I feel for Cardinal fans - TLR is gonna blame Rasmus and probably bench him a week for this. If the OF config tomorrow is Holliday / Jay / Berkman, I look forward to seeing fly balls hit out there.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #333
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What I want to know is how they gave Miggy a double for that, and didn't credit Rasmus with an error. That was an awful, awful play.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #334
Suicane75
Coordinator

For fantasy purposes I hope Franklin stays as the closer. Of course I also hope he starts converting. Pedro Alvarez could stand to start hitting as well.

Pretty happy with the Phillies start. The lineup worries seem to be alleviated a little bit.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #335
Ksyrup

Yeah, Franklin wasn't sharp, but that was a save. How you don't give an error on that play I don't get. That was Rasmus' ball all the way, but it looked like he got distracted by the LFer running over and at the last minute thought he was going to run into him, so instead of getting under the ball, he tried to basket catch it from the side. And clearly dropped it. That's an error, even in little league scoring.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #336
lungs
Pro Rookie

Chris Narveson was narvelous last night. Gallardo gets the rubber match against the Cubs.

Oh.... my bold prediction for the year is that the Pirates finish above .500 and finish in 3rd place.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #337
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think the people here saying Rasmus should have had that are discounting the insane wind that completely derailed that fly ball. Multiple Giants players (including Miggy himself) said they thought it was out, and then noticed the wind knock it down as soon as the ball got some height. It was by no means a routine fly ball, and while the end result looked like it could have been caught, I don't think it was quite that simple.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #338
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I think the people here saying Rasmus should have had that are discounting the insane wind that completely derailed that fly ball. Multiple Giants players (including Miggy himself) said they thought it was out, and then noticed the wind knock it down as soon as the ball got some height. It was by no means a routine fly ball, and while the end result looked like it could have been caught, I don't think it was quite that simple.

Yes. The wind was Candlestick-esque last night. I cannot remember attending a game at AT&T that was that windy. When the ball left the bat, I thought for sure it was gone and the wind clearly knocked it down just like it did to the Sandoval shot the inning or two before.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #339
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Wind notwithstanding (and I did notice a bunch of people - Miggy, the catcher, a few others, myself included - think that it was gone off the bat), the ball still hit him in the glove, and that's an error unless you're diving at the ball in my book.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #340
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
The stuff (well, whatever stuff he did have) is gone, eh? Who takes over?

PS - I feel for Cardinal fans - TLR is gonna blame Rasmus and probably bench him a week for this. If the OF config tomorrow is Holliday / Jay / Berkman, I look forward to seeing fly balls hit out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bautista in that role.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #341
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, Franklin wasn't sharp, but that was a save. How you don't give an error on that play I don't get. That was Rasmus' ball all the way, but it looked like he got distracted by the LFer running over and at the last minute thought he was going to run into him, so instead of getting under the ball, he tried to basket catch it from the side. And clearly dropped it. That's an error, even in little league scoring.

Oh it's an error, but again.. Franklin serves up those all the time.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #342
MikeVic
Head Coach

Jays going nuts on King Felix.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #343
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants offense continues to be all but non-existent plus outfield defense continues to be atrocious.

With Belt batting a buck fifty, I'm thinking he gets sent down to AAA to build up his confidence. Put Ross in RF when he's back and Huff over to 1B.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #344
Schmidty
Coordinator

This isn't about real baseball, but I just bought OOTP 11 from Amazon for 4.99. Great deal, and should hold me over until OOTP 12 comes out. I was so sick of 10.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #345
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Jays going nuts on King Felix.
Man, horrible start to the year for the M's. Not that I was expecting them to be a contender or anything but...wow. What I worry about is that the average M's fan will grow too impatient with the current regime and Jack Z will get fired, and that would very likely be a bad, bad move.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #346
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ms mounting a nice comeback. Curious to see if they pull it out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #347
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Giants offense continues to be all but non-existent plus outfield defense continues to be atrocious.

With Belt batting a buck fifty, I'm thinking he gets sent down to AAA to build up his confidence. Put Ross in RF when he's back and Huff over to 1B.

I think a lot of this may be that Kershaw's just really good.

As for Belt...he's put together some of the best at-bats of anyone on the entire team. He has a measured approach and I think that it'll eventually come together for him. If he continues this poorly, he might need to be sent down to make sure he doesn't get discouraged...but it's only been 10 games.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #348
MikeVic
Head Coach

I didn't watch the rest of the game, but that looks like a bad collapse/nice comeback in the Ms/Jays game. Boo.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #349
Ksyrup

Revisiting some fun from the Hot Stove League thread, early December:

Quote:
Red Sox still have serious starting pitching questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Huh???

Are you smoking something???

Assuming Lackey rebounds and Beckett can't possibly be as poor as he was last year, they have one of the best top-4 in baseball with Bucholz and Lester.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #350
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Revisiting some fun from the Hot Stove League thread, early December:

I'd rather have that than Halladay/Oswalt/Lee/Hamels for sure.