Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #451
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post

That really didn't answer my question in any way...Gervinho wasn't violent in his conduct, but its well known you hit someone in the face it with clear intent(which there is no denying in any way this was accidental body contact or just a high push in the run of play, this is during a fracas between two players already pushing). The intent and the action = red, he clearly meant to hit his face, and did, so its a red and a suspension. Barton does what? Picks up gervinho? That happens all the time, albeit this one was not the garden variety friendly hand but just last week rooney did it to micah richards in the community shield. Now that one was friendly, but i don't know of any rule saying you cant pull on a players shirt to get him up. Maybe it is there, I don't know of it. As for the play acting, again I don't like it but he was hit. I deplore dives when there is no contact, think they deserve suspensions(and arguing about a Barton dive and ignoring a possible Gervinho dive is amusing)...but when you get hit in the face I have no problem making sure the ref knows about it. And the rules agree. A foul occurred(slap to the face), Barton goes down, I see no rule broken there. I know Troy is a big arsenal homer, and honestly I like arsenal quite a bit more then newcastle or barton, but having seen one of my team's players suspended for swearing at a TV camera, I try to look for reason in suspensions and I just don't see how stamping on and slapping a player warrant anything similar in terms of punishment compared with falling down when hit in the face and pulling a player off the ground. I think Barton deserved a yellow for pulling the guy up like that, but that about as far as I could take it and even then I dont feel totally comfortable.

End Rambling Retort

On a side note, I did love the articles talk about the pick-up being a foul in the box since play was not stopped, absolutely brilliant catch and a very tough call on possible penalty rewards at that point. I tend to think in theory that is a penalty but he is quite right and that is a damn hard one to call
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #452
law90026
College Benchwarmer

The point re Gervinho is that what he did doesn't constitute "'excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball'. We've seen players who have only received yellows for doing more than the weak-ass slap from Gervinho. Not sure where you get the idea that hitting in the face = suspension.

As an example, how about grabbing the neck then to kinda strangle someone? That's not suspension worthy because it's not the face? That's kinda what happened in the same fixture last year when one of the Newcastle strikers grabbed the Arsenal goalie by the neck to get the ball back and there was no punishment whatsoever.

And I really really don't think you can treat Barton's gesture as "friendly".

I agree that Barton didn't do anything to get a 3 game suspension. But for him to still be on the pitch after what he did? That's where I think there's a farce.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #453
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Getafe in Spain have put out a great promotion video for potential season ticket buyers. I'd put up a link but there is about a half second where it is NSFW. I can say that it involves a sperm bank, a movie within a movie called "Zombies Calientes del Getafe," and a cunning plan to increase the number of Getafe fans out there.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #454
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That's awesome!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #455
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nasri starting for Arsenal today. Wenger had better hope he doesn't get a serious injury.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #456
Icy
Pro Starter

Damn players strike in Spain, no start of the season today

They are right on their main claim imho (a league's reserve fund to guarantee player's salary if their team goes bankrupt), but it sucks for the fans that are waiting for La Liga.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #457
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, nice signing for Chelsea, Mata from Valencia for 24M Euros. I think it's cheap seing what others are paying for similar or even worse players imho (IE R.Madrid paying 30M for Coentrao or Atletico Madrid 40M for Falcao).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #458
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Referee had a howler in the Ipswich Peterborough game. Of course, the game was already pretty much decided in the first half as Peterborough scored three times in seven minutes to lead 4-1 near halftime..

First there's a rash challenge that definitely deserved a yellow, but the ref pulled out a red, leaving the Ipswich players in a deep hole. Then in the second half, there was a foul well outside the box, but somehow, the referee decided it was both a penalty and a red card (the first time in Ipswich history that two players had been sent off in the same match)

It ended up being a 7-1 Peterborough thrashing.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #459
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nice to see Keane score in his debut
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #460
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Two more goals for Altidore \o/

I got a kick out of hearing "Born in the USA" being played over the PA after the first one.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #461
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man Utd played some beautiful stuff in the second half. Welbeck is definitely giving SAF something to think about now that Hernandez is healthy again. Phil Jones looks like a really good signing already.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #462
Easy Mac

49 shots in the Man U - Tottenham game? Did anyone play defense?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #463
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Half of those were from van der Vaart trying to score from 30-40 yards.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #464
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?...ontent&id=8134

Quote:
For the first time on record, Johnson has now indicated that playing for the United States at the international level is a possibility.

"Naturally it's possible, by all means yes," Johnson told YA after the game. " Yes, of course - [if they called] then I would in any case think it over."

Yes!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #465
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

who?

aaah.

Yes please. Yes motherfucking please. He can't be worse than the LB's that we have right now.

LOL @ this comment down in the comments:

Quote:
We should put an Army base in Spain, Catalonia is preferable.

Zac

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-22-2011 at 04:39 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #466
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

The Great One will be suspended for his Three Stooges Impersonation:

Quote:
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho could be suspended up to 12 games for his altercation with Barcelona assistant coach Tito Vilanova during a Spanish Supercup game-ending brawl.

The Spanish football federation opened disciplinary proceedings against the clubs Tuesday, six days after Barcelona won the trophy in a fight-marred finale.

Mourinho walked toward Vilanova and appeared to poke him in the eye during the on-field melee the teams. Mourinho apologized Tuesday only to fans in a statement posted on Madrid's website.

Under federation rules, the Portuguese coach could be banned between four to 12 games. Vilanova could be sanctioned for four games after retaliating with a push.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #467
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Stick a fork in Arsenal, they're done unless a miracle happens in the next 7-8 days.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #468
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #469
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Stick a fork in Arsenal, they're done unless a miracle happens in the next 7-8 days.

You mean like them beating Udinese away from home and qualifying for the group stages (and the 20m GBP bonus that brings) .... ?

I've actually been putting my neck out and saying that I think Arsenal will perform reasonably well this season - regardless of signings (or lack of them); I don't think they'll win the Premiership but I don't think they're in the 'doomed' position some pundits are placing them (do bear in mind their 'start' to this campaign is 'harsh' ie. Liverpool last week, Man Utd this week - however after Man Utd they have a good 6-7 matches they should get points from, its after that I think you'll be able to see how they're performing - make a judgement when they play Chelsea at that point the season will be shaping up somewhat).

They have a good young side and I think their defense is a bit better than in prior seasons PLUS I believe that Wenger is clever enough to use the media pressure from the big name sales to inspire the team to perform, ala the year when Everton sold Rooney ..... time will tell, I could be wrong.

PS - If they are to do as well as I expect Van Persie needs to stay fit, he's an incredibly good striker and has the experience and confidence required to pull things together imho (Walcott also looks like he might be stepping up to the plate more than in prior seasons based on what I've seen of him so far ..).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-24-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #470
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
You mean like them beating Udinese away from home and qualifying for the group stages (and the 20m GBP bonus that brings) .... ?

I've actually been putting my neck out and saying that I think Arsenal will perform reasonably well this season - regardless of signings (or lack of them); I don't think they'll win the Premiership but I don't think they're in the 'doomed' position some pundits are placing them (do bear in mind their 'start' to this campaign is 'harsh' ie. Liverpool last week, Man Utd this week - however after Man Utd they have a good 6-7 matches they should get points from, its after that I think you'll be able to see how they're performing - make a judgement when they play Chelsea at that point the season will be shaping up somewhat).

They have a good young side and I think their defense is a bit better than in prior seasons PLUS I believe that Wenger is clever enough to use the media pressure from the big name sales to inspire the team to perform, ala the year when Everton sold Rooney ..... time will tell, I could be wrong.

PS - If they are to do as well as I expect Van Persie needs to stay fit, he's an incredibly good striker and has the experience and confidence required to pull things together imho (Walcott also looks like he might be stepping up to the plate more than in prior seasons based on what I've seen of him so far ..).

Heh, my post was actually in relation to the Nasri sale. I really don't see much chance this year for any trophies and probably 4th place at best in the league.

They are a good young side but that has been the constant refrain for the past few years now. At some point, it just has to become a good side period.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #471
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

After reading how Nasri trolled Arsenal fans on his way out, it will be fun when Man City plays at the Emirates this season.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #472
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Heh, my post was actually in relation to the Nasri sale. I really don't see much chance this year for any trophies and probably 4th place at best in the league.
I agree that their chances of winning the Premiership are slim - however I think they've a darn good shot at a Champions League space which isn't anything to be sniffed at (listening to some of the media speculating in recent weeks you'd think that they were in danger of relegation ).

Quote:
They are a good young side but that has been the constant refrain for the past few years now. At some point, it just has to become a good side period.
For that to happen they need to be able to keep their best players at the club, something I think will become easier for them over time with the new finance rules coming into play AND importantly if they can actually lift a trophy, any trophy.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #473
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
After reading how Nasri trolled Arsenal fans on his way out, it will be fun when Man City plays at the Emirates this season.

Nasri isn't from Africa, so throwing bananas on the pitch wouldn't make much sense this time around. This, however, is still a possibility.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #474
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nasri seemed genuinely relieved to get away from Arsenal. Can't say that I blame him.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #475
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
For that to happen they need to be able to keep their best players at the club, something I think will become easier for them over time with the new finance rules coming into play AND importantly if they can actually lift a trophy, any trophy.

Honestly, I really wonder whether the FFP will even be relevant, what with the Man City method of potentially getting around it.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #476
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Honestly, I really wonder whether the FFP will even be relevant, what with the Man City method of potentially getting around it.

It'll be interesting to see - especially with regards to whether there is actually any 'will' behind it, ie. closing down loop holes and suchlike ....

I'm hopeful that that combined with the 'home grown' rules will help also; as with all this side of things - time will tell.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #477
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ives is saying that Joe Corona will represent Mexico
Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #478
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ives is saying that Joe Corona will represent Mexico

that's ok, we have Jose Daniels.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #479
dacman
College Benchwarmer

For f**ks sake, how much easier can it get for ManU? Is that the easiest group ever?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #480
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
For f**ks sake, how much easier can it get for ManU? Is that the easiest group ever?
Oh yeah, CL prediction time!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #481
whomario
Pro Starter

Group A: Bayern Munich, Villarreal, Man City, Napoli
Group B: Inter Milan, CSKA Moscow, Lille, Trabzonspor
Group C: ManU, Benfica, Basel, Otelul Galati
Group D: Real Madrid, Lyon, Ajax, Dinamo Zagreb
Group E: Chelsea, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen,Genk
Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Olympiakos, Borussia Dortmund
Group G: FC Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit, Apoel FC
Group H: Barcelona, AC Milan, BATE Borisov, Viktoria Plzen
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #482
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hard - A, F
Easy - C, B
Ok - G, E, D
I wonder which two move on - H
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #483
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice to see Man Utd get a favorable draw for once.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #484
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Altidore with two more goals for AZ today in the Europa League.. he already has five goals on the year.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #485
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post

Betfair customers have made Manchester United the clear third favourites at 8.0 for the Champions League after a kindly draw pitted the 2011 finalists against Benfica, Basel and Otelul Galati.

There were mixed fortunes for the other English clubs but the front two in the betting remain the same as ever - Real Madrid (5.9) and Barcelona (3.05).

Chelsea are next up in the betting at 12.0 but a group that includes Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen and Genk shifted that price out from an early 9.0.

Moneybags Manchester City face perhaps the stiffest task of all four Premier League outfits after the draw put them in Group A alongside established Champions League campaigners Bayern Munich and Villarreal as well as solid Serie A outfit Napoli.

Arsenal meanwhile are available at 23.0 - their biggest price in some time - though that is as much to do with losing Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri as being in a group with Marseille, Olympiakos and Borussia Dortmund.

Real Madrid are once again drawn with Lyon, with Ajax and Dinamo Zagreb rounding out the Group D opposition. Barcelona will play AC Milan, BATE Borisov and Viktoria Plzen.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #486
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

USA squad for the friendlies against Costa Rica and Belgium:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

No Michael Bradley or Jermaine Jones. I'll be interested to see Fabian Johnson if he plays, I'd never heard of him a week or two ago.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-25-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #487
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ugh, another Ajax vs Real Madrid. Maybe Mourinho and his tugs will not disgrace the game this time around.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #488
MrBug708
Head Coach

Beckham got a yellow card for asking the ref to move so he could take a corner
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #489
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #490
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Slur Alex complaining in the media once again - approximately 2 seconds after making amends with the BBC. Apparently United get treated like shit (note: he really means they no longer get quite the preferential treatment they used to). Obviously that should not be happening because United apparently produce the most players for their country than any other club in the world. Except for the fact that they've bought all their England internationals except Tom "The New Zidedine Zidane since the Community Shield" Cleverley. Can't imagine what the crazy fuck is going to be like in another year or two. He is falling off his rocker.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-26-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #491
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Slur Alex complaining in the media once again - approximately 2 seconds after making amends with the BBC. Apparently United get treated like shit (note: he really means they no longer get quite the preferential treatment they used to). Obviously that should not be happening because United apparently produce the most players for their country than any other club in the world. Except for the fact that they've bought all their England internationals except Tom "The New Zidedine Zidane since the Community Shield" Cleverley. Can't imagine what the crazy fuck is going to be like in another year or two. He is falling off his rocker.

So you are of the opinion that teams should rely solely on academy players for success?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #492
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I am glad to see SAF is still keeping it real, when he agreed to talk to the BBC again I was afraid he might be getting soft in his old age.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #493
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
So you are of the opinion that teams should rely solely on academy players for success?

Drrrrrrrrr.. what? I'm merely pointing out that SAF is fucking mad.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #494
Critch
lolzcat

They didnt buy Danny Welbeck.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #495
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
They didnt buy Danny Welbeck.

How many senior caps does he have?

Edit: Oops, looks like I got Zidane and Welbecks' caps mixed up. Welbeck has 1 while Zidane has only looked magnificent in the intrasquad scrimmage that took place instead of the Holland friendly (and not had an actual cap yet).

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #496
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Drrrrrrrrr.. what? I'm merely pointing out that SAF is fucking mad.

Just seemed like an odd critique from a City fan, that’s all.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #497
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
How many senior caps does he have?

To be fair to Sir Alex Ferguson for his time at Man Utd he's got Beckham, Scholes, Butt, both Nevilles, Kieran Richardson, Wes Brown and probably more I cant remember. He's always been pretty good at giving young players a chance to earn their place.

That's more impressive than Micah Richards and Joey Barton over the same period.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #498
PilotMan
Head Coach

I know that nobody watched it, but the USL A League game between Harrisburg and Rochester was pretty good. I picked it up at the half with Harrisburg up 2-1, but down to 9 men. The coach was kicked off to, but I didn't find out why, unless he was one of the players ejected.

The second half was entertaining, with a lots of chippines toward the end of the game. Despite having all the chances in the second half, Harrisburg showed a lot of heart and held on for the 2-1 win to move on to the A League finals.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #499
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man City Make Audacious £50m bid for Man Utd’s Champions League Group:

Quote:
Manchester City have made an audacious £50m bid for Manchester United’s Champions League group, claiming those fixtures are all it requires to reach the knockout stages of this years competition.

The move comes after City were drawn with Bayern Munich, Villareal and Napoli, a difficult situation which the club are keen to throw some money at.

Man City owner Sheikh Mansour said, “We see United’s fixtures against Basel and Otelul Galati to be just what this club needs to take it to the next level, and we’re willing to back the manager to make that a reality.”

“We will not be held to ransom, but if our manager wants it, we will open our chequebook and start writing a number with lots of zeros.”
Man City Champions League

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini spoke of his excitement at possibly securing Manchester United’s group.

Mancini told reporters, “Obviously Manchester United has a highly desirable fixture list, and maybe it is not right for me to talk about another’s fixtures, but we would like these games at the City of Manchester stadium, for sure.”

However Manchester United are set to reject any approach.

A United spokesperson told us, “We’ve worked hard on UEFA for twenty years now to ensure we get an easy group year on year, and we have no intention of selling that – no matter what price they offer.”
Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #500
Easy Mac

holy shit Rooney almost got a brilliant hat trick. Manchester are winning the title, but which.

6-1 over Arsenal, 20 minutes left? What the fuck'