Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #2401
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This is purely reckless speculation, but since abuse victims have an alarmingly high rate of retrovert abuse themselves; I cant help but wonder, given what we know about his adopted father, if Jeffrey wasnt one of the elder Sandusky's numerous victims.

I was thinking the same thing. Think it was Dr. Drew who I heard talk about this topic. Basically child molesters are so much worse than we imagine because they create more child molesters.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #2402
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This is purely reckless speculation, but since abuse victims have an alarmingly high rate of retrovert abuse themselves; I cant help but wonder, given what we know about his adopted father, if Jeffrey wasnt one of the elder Sandusky's numerous victims.
Not terribly reckless IMO - this is often the case, and it's natural to wonder.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #2403
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

PSU trustee has 'little sympathy' for Jerry Sandusky victims

NCAA dropped the ball by not giving these scumbags the death penalty.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 03-31-2017 at 03:58 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #2404
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
PSU trustee has 'little sympathy' for Jerry Sandusky victims

NCAA dropped the ball by not giving these scumbags the death penalty.

Baylor was getting too much attention.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #2405
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"What PSU did was so much worse than anyone else that it doesn't fall within the NCAA's purview" is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen. I still do not understand that at all. Shame on SMU for just paying people, I guess.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #2406
molson
General Manager

The NCAA probably has purview over just about anything, but I always thought it kind of minimized the criminal activities to treat them like recruiting violations.

Imagine if a high school football coaching staff got convicted of molesting kids and covering it up, and the governing body's response was, "well that's just awful, so we're going to take away your sports ball wins and make it really hard for the people who have to clean up this mess you left." It just feels tacky. This wasn't a football rules violation. This was was criminal activity, something way bigger than football.

Edit: For that reason, somehow, just shutting down the program would have felt like a more appropriate response, to me, than scholarship reduction and bowl bans. The latter are football penalties, designed to make a football team less competitive after it broke rules to be more competitive.

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2017 at 05:33 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #2407
larrymcg421
Head Coach

But why can't it be both? I've never heard one single person argue that PSU should get the death penalty, but no criminal charges. Like I don't get why it has to be either/or.

I mean, based on your argument, the NCAA was too tough on PSU. They should've got no bowl/recruiting restrictions. Just arrest the people involved and start the next season like nothing happened. SMU's entire program was destroyed for paying people, but they would've been better off if they just covered up pedophiles. That's just an insanely ridiculous argument to me and I'll just never understand that point of view.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-31-2017 at 05:38 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #2408
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

SMU's entire program was destroyed for paying people, but they would've been better off if they just covered up pedophiles.

The individuals who molested kids or covered it wouldn't have been better off, they'd be charged criminally and imprisoned, hopefully.

But I'm OK with football penalties against programs for cheating at football being more severe than football penalties for committing crimes. That doesn't mean that I think cheating at football is worse than committing crimes. I just don't think that should be the role of the NCAA. A fantasy football league should have penalties for not submitting a legal lineup, but maybe not for beating your wife. I mean, they can, I guess, but I think that gives too much importance to fantasy football. If they guy was kicked out of the league, that'd be one thing, but if he was penalized 20 points for the next two games (the equivalent of scholarship reductions), I'd think that was pretty tacky for the same reasons. I don't think you can appropriately punish a real crime with sport penalties. And ya, you can do both, but I think sports penalties for real crimes trivializes the criminal activity and holds up the sport as something more important than it is.

Pro leagues are struggling with dynamic now too. Even at the individual level, penalties for cheating at the sport are often as severe or more severe than penalties for off-field criminal behavior. That doesn't mean that cheating at a sport is worse than criminal behavior. The penalties just serve different purposes. It wasn't too long ago that sports leagues would punish for sports rule violation but not general life failings. I don't know why that changed. And I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. But as we've seen, sports leagues and other private organizations aren't necessarily good at criminal investigations. In my ideal world, sports teams just wouldn't want to hire violent criminals - instead of criminal activity being somehow translated to a football penalty, the same as if someone inflated a football. And maybe leagues mandating that morality will get us to that point eventually.

And I also generally don't get the purpose of penalizing future players and coaches. I think penalties for the individuals responsible for cheating should be more harsh and should follow them around - even if the NCAA can't prove direct knowledge/involvement (since it's way too easy for a head coach to isolate himself from those issues). John Calipari shouldn't be allowed to continue coaching while the innocent coaches who had to clean up his messes at other schools are punished instead.

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #2409
JPhillips
General Manager

I could be fine with molson's idea if it started with a clean slate. All the coaches, the AD, the administration, anyone thought to be in the chain of command, has to go. Students have to be free to transfer without penalty and recruits are able to void their LOI without penalty. The HC, coordinators and anyone shown to have known get a show cause penalty.

Somehow it does have to hurt enough so that it doesn't happen again.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #2410
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I could be fine with molson's idea if it started with a clean slate. All the coaches, the AD, the administration, anyone thought to be in the chain of command, has to go. Students have to be free to transfer without penalty and recruits are able to void their LOI without penalty. The HC, coordinators and anyone shown to have known get a show cause penalty.

Somehow it does have to hurt enough so that it doesn't happen again.

A "clean house" penalty, I like it. And maybe the NCAA would be more willing to use it than a death penalty.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #2411
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

That's pretty much what happened to Penn State, other than the show cause penalty. University President, VP of Human Resources (I think that was his title), AD, and Head Coach were all fired. Remainder of the staff, except two guys were all let go at the end of the season. Players were free to transfer without having to sit out. I believe that was from the July 2012 announcement until the beginning of summer camp in before the 2013 season.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #2412
Edward64
Head Coach

Just sad. Wonder if he was a victim also.

Jeffrey Sandusky Pleads Guilty To 14 Counts Of Child Sex Abuse Ahead Of Trial | HuffPost
Quote:
Jeffrey Sandusky, the 41-year-old adopted son of the former Penn State assistant football coach and convicted child molester, pled guilty on Friday to 14 counts of child sexual abuse.

The guilty plea arrived one week before Sandusky’s trial was scheduled to begin in Centre County, Pennsylvania.

Police launched an investigation against Sandusky in November 2016 after a minor claimed that they had received text messages from Sandusky asking her for nude photos. The child was the daughter of a woman Sandusky once dated.

The criminal complaint filed against Sandusky said that a second minor was also involved in abuse that occurred in 2013.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #2413
tarcone
Coordinator

If that isnt the most damning evidence against Jerry, I dont know what is.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #2414
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just sad. Wonder if he was a victim also.

Victims of abuse like this are much more likely to commit it themselves, right? Awful.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #2415
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I am not sure if its this one, or another one of his sons. Pretty sure one of them came out that he was molested by his father, and then I believe recanted when he realized what was going on.

Not 100% sure though, but I believe I read that somewhere.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #2416
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, it was Jeffrey. He was one of the kids Jerry pulled out of foster care and adopted. Jerry got him young and kept him.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #2417
Kodos
Resident Alien

More trouble at Penn State. What on earth are they doing there?

Former Nittany Lions player files federal lawsuit against James Franklin, Penn State for hazing
Old 01-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #2418
Butter
Coordinator

James Franklin is a rape enabler, so why is this a surprise? Penn State reaps what they've sown here.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #2419
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Why would anyone good enough to play for Penn State ever choose to play for Penn State?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #2420
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
More trouble at Penn State. What on earth are they doing there?

Former Nittany Lions player files federal lawsuit against James Franklin, Penn State for hazing

Before we rush to judgement, let's all remember Duke lacrosse. If this is true, it's appalling that those in charge would let it happen at Penn State of all places. But we don't yet know how valid the accusation is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote