Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #151
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think the NBA should adopt the same rules as the NFL. You have to be a junior to enter the draft. I don't like the baseball example because the entire development system for the players is different. A basketball player drafted out of HS doesn't have a minor league system to develop in. I don't think you can count the NBDL.

Until the NBA feels like drafting 1 year players impacts the quality of their game, I don't see this changing.

Mark Cuban has an interesting idea. He'd like to see players stay for 3 years, expand the draft to 4 rounds, and turn the NBADL into a true feeder system with teams filled out with players teams don't hold exclusive rights to.

I'm a fan of the baseball system. The top High School players have proven they're ready to play in the NBA so I don't see why they should be locked out of the league and forced to go to school. I do think when they do decide to go to school there should be at least a 2 year commitment.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I wonder if you'd see more American players going to Europe after high school if the three years of college or 3 years of college + declaring out of high school rule were adopted.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Much like a regular kid, not everyone is cut out for college. You can still go to vocational schools or other specialized training to do well for yourself. Going overseas would be nothing more than refining your skills without bothering to focus on classes that you may or may not be actually learning anything by taking them.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #153
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Georgetown coaches told that they have been eliminated by Devonta Pollard along with Texas. Supposed to decide between Alabama and Mizzou in the next two weeks.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #154
tarcone
Coordinator

Bo Ryan is a shady character. He will have a tough time recruiting Ioiwa.

And, as you can see, Uthoff will give up his phone records.

hxxp://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/04/21/12/Uthoff-I-wanted-to-do-this-in-person/landing_badgers.html?blockID=714002&feedID=5065
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #155
Atocep
Coordinator

Virginia Tech has a press conference set for 4pm and there are reports that Seth Greenberg has been fired.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #156
Atocep
Coordinator

VPI is denying that Greenberg has been fired. There is some speculation that the AD is stepping down due to health reasons, but there seems to be quite a few places running with the Greenberg fired story.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Scout's #20 overall prospect C Tony Parker (one of the best remaining uncommitted recruits) chose UCLA today over Georgia, Ohio State, Duke and Kansas.

Awesome, welcome to the team, Tony. That gives UCLA Scout's #2, #4, #20 and #75 recruit, which should push them above Arizona for the top class after only Kentucky.

Hopefully Howland doesn't F it up by being a chapass.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-23-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #158
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Bo Ryan is a shady character. He will have a tough time recruiting Ioiwa.

And, as you can see, Uthoff will give up his phone records.

hxxp://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/04/21/12/Uthoff-I-wanted-to-do-this-in-person/landing_badgers.html?blockID=714002&feedID=5065

He said, she said. Can we let this stupid episode go already?

An immature 19 year old and a very unsuspecting, unknowing coach who did all the wrong things at the wrong time.

Transfers happen all the time and most go un-noticed. Why this one gets all the attention? He wanted his player to talk to him so he blocked the ACC/ISU. The kid went to his hometown and cried like a baby and the rest is history.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #159
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Greenberg was fired. Seems late in the process to do it but the AD said last week he decided he wasn't going to renew his contract so he was lame duck.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Unbelievable. One of the Alabama message board posters was dumb enough to discuss a 'bump' by the coaching staff on Devonta Pollard at the local airport. Will be interesting to see if it costs them any contact much like the Petrino/DGB situation.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #161
Swaggs
Coordinator

I always thought Greenberg got way too much recognition and credit. Only one NCAA appearance in 9 seasons in BCS conferences (1 in the Big East and 8 in the ACC) and only that one in his last 17 seasons as a head coach (had 2 prior to that while at Long Beach State). I know Virginia Tech is more focused on football and the ACC is usually top heavy, but with the NCAA now taking 68 teams, there is no reason they shouldn't make the tournament every few years (if not more often).

Last edited by Swaggs : 04-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #162
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #163
britrock88
Pro Starter

Go UNC-LA!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another one of the Connecticut players apparently on Mizzou's radar. Roscoe Smith has talked with the staff, Oriakhi, and Kim English (friends from Baltimore). Looks like a good glue player with some upside with two years of eligibility left.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #165
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good article summarizing some of the better transfer players that are eligible this season.

College Basketball's 20 Best Transfers For 2012-13 - Card Chronicle
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #166
spleen1015
Coordinator

Other NCAA coaches need to look at Coach K as an example on how to handle kids that want to transfer.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #167
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like Virginia Tech has hired James Johnson as their basketball coach:Virginia Tech Hokies hire James Johnson as coach, sources say - ESPN

Looks like he is 40-years old, is thought to be a good recruiter, and had been at VPI for a few years before leaving to take a job at Clemson earlier this offseason.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #168
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Josiah Turner just killed many of his transfer options.......

Arizona Wildcats basketball: Turner arrested on suspicion of DUI
Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #169
Radii
Head Coach

Hubert Davis is leaving ESPN to become an assistant coach at UNC.

Hubert Davis Named Assistant Coach - University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #170
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Should be announced soon a home and home between Syracuse and Mizzou. Syracuse will come to Columbia in December with Mizzou making the trip to Syracuse next fall.

In related news, the rest of college basketball is shocked that Syracuse will be playing a true road game before January.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #171
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Hubert Davis is leaving ESPN to become an assistant coach at UNC.

Hubert Davis Named Assistant Coach - University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site

Whatever it takes to get him off the air. Appreciate Roy taking that bullet.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #172
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post

Unhappy with the balance of UNC guys and Duke guys on the air?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #173
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like Coastal Carolina may be leaving the Big South Conference. No word yet on where they could go.

Coastal Carolina board of trustees approves motion regarding future of athletics - Top News - TheSunNews.com

And in a bit of Coastal basketball news, Sam McLaurin has left Coastal and is transferring to Illinois to continue his post graduate schooling while still having a year of eligibility left. He leaves as Coastal's all time leader in blocks so some value there for the new coach at Illinois. Interesting to see he got a lot of calls from Division I coaches including one from Larry Brown at SMU.

McLaurin leaving CCU for Illinois - Sports - TheSunNews.com
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post

Agreed. He was good at laughing over everyone else's comments. That was about it.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #175
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm hearing a lot of rumors today that Anthony Bennett is a lock for UNLV, including a guy who said Shabazz was a lock to UCLA 3 weeks before it happened. FWIW, Yahoo Sports also just posted 4 hours ago that it's down to Oregon and UNLV for Bennett.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou gets yet another transfer who lead his former team in scoring. This time it's Justin Clarkson of Tulsa. He'll sit out this year and have two years left to play. They likely took him to be a backup option for Flip Pressey in case he leaves for the NBA after next year.

PowerMizzou.com - Clarkson makes his decision

With 13 commits for next year, it would appear that the door may have closed on Devonta Pollard, though there are some rumors that Criswell may not qualify and open up a spot.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #177
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Syracuse visiting Missouri reminds me of this highlight:

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 05-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Syracuse visiting Missouri reminds me of this highlight.

Both those guys (Kleiza and Warrick) are doing quite well for themselves in the NBA. Both around the $4.5M salary range.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #179
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Arizona got big news in landing Xavier PG Mark Lyons. Lyons averaged 15 PPG last season and is immediately eligible this season because he redshirted his first season and will graduate. Lyons chose Arizona over Kansas and Kentucky - so that's a nice win for AZ.

While Lyons only has this year of eligibility left, it sets up perfectly for Arizona as they have T.J. McConnell transferring in and sitting out this season. Suddenly, Arizona went from having no PG to having two established PGs coming in the next 2 seasons. Props to Miller for recovering from the Josiah Turner disaster.

Last edited by Arles : 05-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #180
Butter
Coordinator

Lyons was not Xavier's point guard. If he wants to play the point, get ready for lots of frustration.

Plus, he's a fucking douche, and drew a lot of technicals last year. Good luck with that.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #181
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm hearing a lot of rumors today that Anthony Bennett is a lock for UNLV, including a guy who said Shabazz was a lock to UCLA 3 weeks before it happened. FWIW, Yahoo Sports also just posted 4 hours ago that it's down to Oregon and UNLV for Bennett.

Better hope Jimmy Kimmel isn't considered a booster.

Quote:
Jimmy Kimmel ‏ @jimmykimmel

UNLV needs you Anthony! @Salsaa_Stylez @ABennett24 @UNLVRebellion @Salsaa_Stylez @ABennett24 @UNLVRebellion
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #182
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone else think that there's no way Bennett would have Oregon in his final two if not for some behind the scenes Nike-related shadiness?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #183
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This one's got the Kentucky faithful pretty riled up........

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #184
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

In related news, NCAA is questioning eligibility of Noel. Inquiry involves relationships with staff members and also looking through finances for possible payments.

Report -- NCAA looking at top Kentucky Wildcats recruit Nerlens Noel - ESPN
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #185
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Lyons was not Xavier's point guard. If he wants to play the point, get ready for lots of frustration.

Plus, he's a fucking douche, and drew a lot of technicals last year. Good luck with that.
Everything I've read said that he's talented, he just freelances a lot and isn't all that disciplined. That's not bad as Miller's number one coaching trait is discipline. If he comes in and starts taking bad shots and mouthing off, he'll find himself on the bench. Miller benched, suspended and eventually kicked two recruits off the team last year (Josiah Turner and Sidiki Johnson) for attitude/conduct reasons.

Lyons knows that any chance of him having a pro career relies on him doing well at Arizona. I expect he will be on his best behavior and have a solid season. If not, I doubt Miller will put up with much. I also like that Miller recruited him and seems to know him pretty well. For a lot of guys, just changing scenery puts them in a better mood as they know if they struggle at one location and succeed at the next - it's easier for them to blame the old place. I'd be pretty surprised if Miller had issues with Lyons given what I've read - but we'll see.

Last edited by Arles : 05-09-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #186
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Indiana doesn't have enough schollies for 5th year senior..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...hip/54813574/1

Wrong, right?

Last edited by mauchow : 05-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #187
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post

Roth in limbo due to oversigning – USATODAY.com

Wrong, right?

No it's not wrong, but Bo Ryan still is.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #188
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wrong, right?
No, not wrong. Read the article - Roth and his family were fully informed of the situation the whole way.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #189
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wrong, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
He then crammed 12 classes into two semesters and a summer and earned a master's in sports administration management

Crammed? 12 classes across 3 semesters is NOT cramming, it's almost a light college workload, at least when I went to college.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #190
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Crammed? 12 classes across 3 semesters is NOT cramming, it's almost a light college workload, at least when I went to college.

That would be about 36 credit hours. That's 15 per semester plus a summer of 6 credit hours. That is pretty tight to go along with basketball responsibilities. I've usually seen it kept at around 12 credit hours per semester, though that was some time ago.

Last edited by rjolley : 05-10-2012 at 03:21 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #191
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Judge tosses defamation suit v. Syracuse, Boeheim - NCAA Basketball - SI.com

Judge throws the suit out against Boeheim and the school.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #192
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, Roth got an undergraduate degree and a masters on Indiana's dime. I'd say they have fulfilled their obligation to him. Would I like for him to be able to come back? Yes. But there doesn't look to be room, due to Watford and Zeller's decisions to stick around.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-11-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #193
Izulde
Head Coach

And it's official! Anthony Bennett to UNLV according to ESPN.

Anthony Bennett, ESPN's No. 7 overall senior, selects UNLV Runnin' Rebels - ESPN

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #194
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana to host North Carolina during ACC-Big Ten - Yahoo! Sports

Indiana to host North Carolina during ACC-Big Ten

The Associated Press – 1 hour 26 minutes ago

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) Indiana will host North Carolina in a high-profile showcase for the resurgent Hoosiers during next season's ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

North Carolina State will visit Michigan on Nov. 27, and Ohio State will play at Duke the next day during the 14th annual event.

Coming off its first appearance in the regional semifinals of the NCAA tournament in a decade, Indiana adds a strong recruiting class to returnees Cody Zeller and Christian Watford. On Nov. 27, the Hoosiers face a Tar Heels team hit hard by graduation and NBA defections.

The other Nov. 27 matchups announced Monday by ESPN are Minnesota at Florida State, Maryland at Northwestern, Iowa at Virginia Tech and Nebraska at Wake Forest. The Nov. 28 games are Virginia at Wisconsin, Michigan State at Miami, Purdue at Clemson, Georgia Tech at Illinois and Boston College at Penn State.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #195
Kodos
Resident Alien

Four star SG Stan Robinson has committed to IU for 2013.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielscout
Stan Robinson just informed Scout that he verbally committed to Indiana.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #196
MrBug708
Head Coach

Indiana State will be the team to open Pauley next year against the Bruins. Hard to argue against that opponent
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty funny stuff out of Lawrence this morning. After Bill Self vigorously denied a couple months ago any interest in scheduling Missouri, saying it was "no different than Colorado, Nebraska, or Texas A&M", the university announced that they have booked Colorado for this year's schedule.

Guess it's a little different after all.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #198
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pretty funny stuff out of Lawrence this morning. After Bill Self vigorously denied a couple months ago any interest in scheduling Missouri, saying it was "no different than Colorado, Nebraska, or Texas A&M", the university announced that they have booked Colorado for this year's schedule.

Guess it's a little different after all.

I don't understand. So what if he used Colorado as an example, and then they scheduled Colorado? Missouri still may be no different than Colorado. It just turns out that whatever deal they struck with Colorado was good enough for them to agree to it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #199
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't understand.

Really???
Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #200
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't understand. So what if he used Colorado as an example, and then they scheduled Colorado? Missouri still may be no different than Colorado. It just turns out that whatever deal they struck with Colorado was good enough for them to agree to it.

I am pretty sure Self said they would never schedule any of the teams that left the Big 12 and that he had nothing against Mizzou but more against those that left the conference. Seems pretty obvious less than a year later that he was full of shit.

Last edited by panerd : 05-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote