Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #201
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
We don't know yet. Are you assuming the Kinect 2 is as good as the PS Eye 2?

We have not see the full features of both products, so it's awfully premature to make an assumption either way. What we do know is that the PS Eye 2 now uses the same technology as Kinect 2, so it's an apples to apples comparison. We also know that there's a difference of $40 between the two products.

When I think of a 5-7 year gaming device, who cares? Sony's move controller isn't even in the same ballpark as the kinect.

Quit basing your posts on "assumptions" will you?

We get it, you wear Sony on your sleeve, who cares?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #202
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Agree with you Sack. Here's one: What if you take your console and some games on vacation and don't have an available internet connection where you end up? You're fucked.

That's just stupid by MS.

This exactly. My friends and I have always gathered for a 'guys weekend' every year to play games (video, card, board, whatever). Usually we do this at a cottage, which doesn't have internet. One weekend a year might not be an entire reason to discount a system, but it's one of my favorite weekends of the year and it does factor in.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
This exactly. My friends and I have always gathered for a 'guys weekend' every year to play games (video, card, board, whatever). Usually we do this at a cottage, which doesn't have internet. One weekend a year might not be an entire reason to discount a system, but it's one of my favorite weekends of the year and it does factor in.

You have internet in Manitoba?

Do they mount the towers on the backs of moose?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #204
Izulde
Head Coach

Steam's Offline mode has been great for when I'm in area where I don't have Internet access. (Doesn't happen often - maybe a few days a year, but it's still enough).

Though it's not always obvious at first how to run Steam in offline mode, which is why people are confused sometimes, I think.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #205
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
That's worth exploring right there. Say what you will about Microsoft's business approach and strategies -- and I could say plenty -- but they do seem to be on a streak of misjudging. Now I'm sure that the executives with day-to-day control of Windows and Xbox are completely different people, but it could very well be a cultural approach undermining the company.

Microsoft is now a devices and services company. They are no longer a software company. They will sell you the Surface, or the Xbox One, and then their goal is to sell you services like Xbox Live, DLC, or licences to play games. They are no longer just trying to sell you a boxed game and leave it at that.

It's just like Microsoft Office, this year they had a boxed product that had nothing but a product code in it to download Office. And they had an Office subscription, where you pay $99 a year to use MS Office.

The entire culture of the company has changed, and we're seeing it on the Xbox side for sure.

I do hope that they see the error of their ways as they are being treated as the laughing stock of the industry right now. When SONY of all companies can mock you for your customer unfriendly policies, you know you're moving in the wrong direction.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #206
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Gamers Without Internet Can Stick With Xbox 360, Says Microsoft - IGN
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #207
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
“"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #208
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've been without power for around a week twice in the past 2 years, thanks to hurricanes. Plus, we usually have an extended outage or two each winter. So the 24-hr check-in is a big deal to me.

PS4 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the lead right now.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I've been without power for around a week twice in the past 2 years, thanks to hurricanes.

Umm ... how are you gonna get the PS4 to work in that scenario?

*I'm way the hell over MS at this point, but the question did sorta seem to be necessary
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #210
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

*I'm way the hell over MS at this point, but the question did sorta seem to be necessary
YOU MEAN THEY HAVE TO POWER?!?!? F that... I'm out.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #211
spleen1015
Coordinator

hey brad
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #212
mckerney
Coordinator

It'll still be a while before I decide but I'm still leading towards the PS4. There was nothing earth shattering in terms of exclusives at E3, but inFAMOUS: Second Son and The Order look more interesting to me at this point than Dead Rising 3 and Quantum Break. The PS3 had the best exclusive lineup this gen by far so it's an area where Microsoft will have to catch up next gen to get my interest.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

For the record, we had a power outage in 2003 from an ice storm for 4 days. We had a constant fire in the fireplace and had a generator running to power the refrigerator, TV, and an old Genesis console that I had. It was awesome.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #214
spleen1015
Coordinator

I can see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I am going to use the generator to play games on the PS4. That will go over really well.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #215
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I remember back in college, Hurricane Opal ran through Georgia and knocked out our power for a good 4-5 days. We used our generator pretty much for only two things: 1) Microwave to make our ramen noodles 2) Nintendo+TV to play Madden.

We had some of the best Madden tournaments that week.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #216
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I can see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I am going to use the generator to play games on the PS4. That will go over really well.

Yeah, I had a more advanced system at the time, but I used the Genesis hoping that the power usage might not be quite as much. At least that was the theory.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #217
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Yeah, but isn't there some sort of penalty if your Xbox doesn't check in? Someone up the thread was saying you lose the ability to play some games if that happens? Maybe I misunderstood something that was said?

Last edited by Kodos : 06-12-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #218
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, but isn't there some sort of penalty if your Xbox doesn't check in? Someone up the thread was saying you lose the ability to play some games if that happens? Maybe I misunderstood something that was said?

The PS4 also requires a check in of the power outlet. If it doesn't have a constant uninterrupted connection you lose the ability to play your games.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #219
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

No, it will just do the check the next time you powered it on and connected.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #220
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #221
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm buying neither at launch.

Assuming everything stays as it is now I will buy the PS4 at some point down the road. Microsoft blew it with me on the last gen. They killed it at the start, I was all about Microsoft. As the generation went on, Sony killed them with exclusives. Then Microsoft added paid adds to the dashboard. At this point I trust Sony more than I do Microsoft and they will have my business when I do eventually buy one unless something drastically changes.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #222
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like we got our answer on Japan for the X1. No support at launch. Surprised at how many places they're simply giving away by not supporting at launch. Worldwide sales are going to be a bloodbath. Sony's going to get a large overall market share.

Xbox One will support Live in these countries at launch | Joystiq
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #223
SackAttack
Head Coach

To be fair the market share they're surrendering in Japan is miniscule. Like, almost non-existent. They haven't had enough of a footprint there to really call it giving anything away.

The article didn't give much information, but that sounds to me like "these are the countries we're going to launch in first." Selling Xbox Ones in countries that won't have Live would...not end well.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
To be fair the market share they're surrendering in Japan is miniscule. Like, almost non-existent. They haven't had enough of a footprint there to really call it giving anything away.

The article didn't give much information, but that sounds to me like "these are the countries we're going to launch in first." Selling Xbox Ones in countries that won't have Live would...not end well.

The problem is that if you're not in a given country this fall, there's a good chance the PS4 is all but going to monopolize that country/territory. If they're launching late, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they didn't launch at all in those areas if things don't go well this fall.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #225
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
The problem is that if you're not in a given country this fall, there's a good chance the PS4 is all but going to monopolize that country/territory. If they're launching late, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they didn't launch at all in those areas if things don't go well this fall.

As far as Japan goes the PS4 was already going to monopolize the home console market compared to the XBone.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #226
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Let's be honest. I have a better chance of getting woken up by head from Kate Upton than Microsoft ever had of having more than the most marginal market share in Japan. If they ever do launch Xbox One there, they're likely to do about as well launching there in 2014 as they would launching in 2013. There will be the handful of Japanese gamers who love Western games who will buy an Xbox One and the rest will continue to give none of the fucks.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #227
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Let's be honest. I have a better chance of getting woken up by head from Kate Upton than Microsoft ever had of having more than the most marginal market share in Japan. If they ever do launch Xbox One there, they're likely to do about as well launching there in 2014 as they would launching in 2013. There will be the handful of Japanese gamers who love Western games who will buy an Xbox One and the rest will continue to give none of the fucks.

Looking at how the 360 did in Japan, it launched before the PS3 but still failed to sell out in most retailers. The 360 accounts for less than 10% of home consoles sold for the current generation and most stores either stopped carrying it or scaled it way back in 2011. Then during a holiday week earlier this year the 360 accounted for 1% of software sales and 0% of hardware sales.

Microsoft is really not missing much by not launching in Japan while they do the rest of the world, the PS4 and Wii U are going to dominate the country no matter what.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #228
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You realize Steam has an offline mode, right? As in, you activate on installation and then don't have to be online to play the game aftewards if you don't want to?

If Microsoft were adopting a Steam model, I doubt the hue and cry would be as loud as it is. They aren't, though. They're requiring the console to check in every 24 hours or you can't play your games. Period.

I always had issues with offline mode. Had to like delete some file and re-boot. Plus a lot of the newer games require you to be online anyway.

I'm sure there are situations where a storm hits the area and I'd be able to power my console via a gas generator for a day that can happen. But I'll probably just read a book if it comes to that. My console has been hooked up to the internet for 7 years without a problem.

Now I'm sure a heavy traveler or someone who can't get internet would turn this console down, but those aren't the people complaining online. Out of all the factors you put into making a decision, I just think this will fall really far down for most people.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #229
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there a list of exclusives for each system?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #230
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Well the power is out. So it is either video games on the generator or ....sex. She can pick.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #231
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is there a list of exclusives for each system?

Here are the currently announced exclusives.

XBox One
RYSE: Son of Rome
Dead Rising 3
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Forza 5
Crimson Dragon
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
Halo
Below
D4
PowerStar Golf

PS4
The Order: 1886
Knack
inFAMOUS: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
DriveClub
Possible PS4 Exclusives
Secret Ponchos
Tiny Brain

Last edited by mckerney : 06-13-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #232
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
No, it will just do the check the next time you powered it on and connected.

Oh, okay. I thought people were saying games would be disabled permanently. Which made little sense.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #233
Desnudo
Coordinator

Robbie Bach he is not
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #234
SackAttack
Head Coach

Nintendo's Miyamoto chiming in on the idea of ownership versus licensing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigeru Miyamoto
As a consumer you want to be able to keep those things for a long time and have those things from your youth that you can go back to and experience again. I really want to retain that product nature of the games that we create so that people can do that and have that experience. To me that's something that's very important about entertainment itself. So from the approach of continuing to create things that are entertaining for people, that's an important direction for me that I want to maintain.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #235
spleen1015
Coordinator

Nintendo gets the customer appreciation aspect of it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #236
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think it's a valid point. I still have a bunch of my old consoles. My kids have been having a great time playing Super Mario Sunshine on my GameCube over the last few months, and Diddy Kong Racing on my N64. I don't think parents will be able to say the same for their XBOne's in 15 years, which is a shame.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #237
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think it's a valid point. I still have a bunch of my old consoles. My kids have been having a great time playing Super Mario Sunshine on my GameCube over the last few months, and Diddy Kong Racing on my N64. I don't think parents will be able to say the same for their XBOne's in 15 years, which is a shame.

And that's exactly my biggest objection to the Xbox One, the reason why I've been converted from somebody who owns upwards of 100 games for each of Microsoft's first two consoles to somebody for whom Xbox One is a complete and total nonstarter.

The legacy console aspect isn't my only objection to Xbox One, but it is my biggest objection, and a point I consider non-negotiable.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #238
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think I'm like most of you guys at this point and I'm likely starting with the PS4. I didn't think I was going to worry too much about the next gen consoles, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

I am considering taking my 360 console, controllers & games and trading them in and putting the credit towards a PS4. Then I will just play on the PS3 until the PS4 comes out.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #239
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not a huge IGN fan, but I've been listening to quite a few podcasts over the course of E3 and found a great interview. The IGN crew interviewed Shuhei Yoshida, President of the PS division of Sony. He was very frank with most of his comments and gave some great insight into the preparations for this conference. He also talks about keeping development groups fresh to avoid burnout. Big fan of Nintendo as well. He owns two Wii's and two WiiU's.

E3 2013: Podcast Beyond, DualShock 4, and Shuhei Yoshida - IGN
Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #240
Icy
Pro Starter

For me it's PS4 for the same reason that is was PS3, NO REGION LOCK so i can import and play USA sports games that are not for sale in Spain (NFL, NCAA, MLB the show, NHL).

I bought a 360 at launch, but as soon as i saw i couldn't import games, i sold it and bought a Ps3.

Find pretty stupid that working with the same 3rd parties (EA in this case) MS decides to do region lock while PS3 doesn't, I would love to hear an explanation of why.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #241
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
For me it's PS4 for the same reason that is was PS3, NO REGION LOCK so i can import and play USA sports games that are not for sale in Spain (NFL, NCAA, MLB the show, NHL).

I bought a 360 at launch, but as soon as i saw i couldn't import games, i sold it and bought a Ps3.

Find pretty stupid that working with the same 3rd parties (EA in this case) MS decides to do region lock while PS3 doesn't, I would love to hear an explanation of why.

I saw that due to it being region free people in Australia are able to save about $100 by ordering a PS4 from Amazon in the US since Amazon will ship it for $15. There may be issues with the Bluray player not being region free and warranty claims being difficult though.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #242
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like we got our answer on Japan for the X1. No support at launch. Surprised at how many places they're simply giving away by not supporting at launch. Worldwide sales are going to be a bloodbath. Sony's going to get a large overall market share.

Xbox One will support Live in these countries at launch | Joystiq

PS4 Japan Launch Date Still to be Determined - News (PS4)

Sony says the fall launch is only for US and Europe right now any may not launch elsewhere next year. So alright, let's hear it about how Sony is bungling this launch and blowing market share by allowing for the possibility of Microsoft launching in Japan first.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
PS4 Japan Launch Date Still to be Determined - News (PS4)

Sony says the fall launch is only for US and Europe right now any may not launch elsewhere next year. So alright, let's hear it about how Sony is bungling this launch and blowing market share by allowing for the possibility of Microsoft launching in Japan first.

Truth here. Couldn't have said it better. They're missing a golden opportunity to bury MS if they don't get it released in Japan this fall. I suppose one could argue that they're only going to have so many units and want to maximize in areas where they have competition, but that's not going to endear them to the Japanese in any way.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #244
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
lol
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #245
cartman
Death Herald

(MBBF Mode)
Looks like the PR coup by Sony is coming to an end. The ugly truth is starting to leak out. I wonder just how many more stories like this are going to be coming out before the launch...........................................
(/MBBF Mode)

What do you mean WHY is Sony PS4 so pricey in Oz? • The Register
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #246
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
(MBBF Mode)
Looks like the PR coup by Sony is coming to an end. The ugly truth is starting to leak out. I wonder just how many more stories like this are going to be coming out before the launch...........................................
(/MBBF Mode)

What do you mean WHY is Sony PS4 so pricey in Oz? • The Register

This is interesting ... except for the whole "I don't really give a fuck what they charge anybody outside the U.S." (no more than people outside the U.S. give a fuck what they charge me)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #247
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This is interesting ... except for the whole "I don't really give a fuck what they charge anybody outside the U.S." (no more than people outside the U.S. give a fuck what they charge me)

If it was just the PS4, it would be a story. But that's just the way it is in Australia across the board. It's no different than posting a story asking why gas is double the price in the UK that it is here in the U.S. It's just the way it is. All markets are different.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #248
sabotai
General Manager

I haven't really been too into video games lately. In fact, I'd say at least 75% of my gaming is playing Paradox games and Skyrim (PC version). So when it comes to PS4 vs. XB1, I'm not getting too excited about either. Given the prices though, and that PS4 doesn't come with any strings attached, that seems like the clear winner.

Plus, I haven't played any of the PS3 exclusive series like MLB The Show, and I haven't played Gran Turismo since GT2 on the PS2. Forza has gotten a bit stale for me so going back to Gran Turismo will be a nice change, and MLB The Show will be a nice change for MLB 2K which I've gotten bored with as well. All in all, 99% of the games I want to play will likely come out on both consoles, so price and "ease of use" is pretty much the only things I care about.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #249
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
If it was just the PS4, it would be a story. But that's just the way it is in Australia across the board.

Almost everything is hugely overpriced in Australia. When I was over there a few years back, PS3 and Xbox games were around $120, and at that time the US $ and AUS $ were worth the same.

Hell, if I look at Steam Australia right now, Football Manager 2013 is US$80 compared to $40 in the US.

I hate the fact that Sony and Microsoft are screwing Australian and EU customers with big price differentials, but they have done it for every console generation, and will probably keep doing it as long as they can get away with it.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #250
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

My assumption is that Sony may be watching what Microsoft are doing in Asia. If there is any truth to the story posted earlier this week about Microsoft delaying the launch of the Xbox One in Asia until late 2014, releasing the PS4 in Japan after the holiday season may not harm them.

Microsoft Plots 2014 Launch for Xbox One in Asia - Digits - WSJ

If they don't need to worry about the Asian market this year, Sony hopefully can avoid bad press from stock shortages (though I bet they still occur).

We shall see. I can't believe that Microsoft will wait a whole year before launching in Asia, and I can't believe that Sony would let Microsoft beat them to the market in their home turf.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote