Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #451
kingfc22
Head Coach

Come on Dawson.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #452
MrBug708
Head Coach

I have a couple Niner fans on my fb and all they do all gameday is complain about officiating. Is there some conspiracy against the 49ers that I don't know about in the NFL?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #453
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hell of a game!!! If Packers could have held out that last first down, I think Rodgers does his magic. He was amazing in the second half.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-05-2014 at 06:47 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #454
TroyF
Coordinator

I complain about refs all the time and didn't see anything horrible with these refs. The Niners should have had a first and goal on a clear PI in the end zone, but other than that I thought it was all fair.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #456
RedKingGold
College Starter

Carolina bound!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #457
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I have a couple Niner fans on my fb and all they do all gameday is complain about officiating. Is there some conspiracy against the 49ers that I don't know about in the NFL?
They just take their lead from the head coach. I heard Mike D'Antoni says he complains to the refs a lot

Still, good game by the pack. No defensive players healthy and the team turned what should have been a lost season to a division championship. 49ers at Carolina should be a good game. Not sure this undermanned GB team could have done that.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #458
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I complain about refs all the time and didn't see anything horrible with these refs. The Niners should have had a first and goal on a clear PI in the end zone, but other than that I thought it was all fair.

They called it consistently on both sides and throughout the game, can't ask for more than that.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #459
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, I was 3 outta 4 on my predictions and that's not too shabby I suppose.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #460
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow! They just showed a replay of the game winning kick, and the ball went THROUGH the arms of the Packer trying to block it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #461
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

If the Niners can get through Carolina and the Hawks advance, you have to think the Hawks have the physical edge. Brutal path for the Niners.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #462
rowech
Pro Starter

After reading comments from Bengals fans -- I get the desire to get rid of Dalton but honestly, how do you replace him? There's not a single free agent I would take over him so that leaves the draft. Do you spend a pick knowing you're going to need another 2-3 seasons to get a guy up to speed? Just seems you have to ride with him as you're in what I'll call Quarterback Purgatory.

Andrew Whitworth's comments seem very telling as either saying Gruden went off the gameplan or Dalton audibled out of way too many situations.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #463
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Wow! They just showed a replay of the game winning kick, and the ball went THROUGH the arms of the Packer trying to block it.

Haven't seen the replay. Was it the the player coming from the left who was flagged for being offsides?

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-05-2014 at 07:01 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #464
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
If the Niners can get through Carolina and the Hawks advance, you have to think the Hawks have the physical edge. Brutal path for the Niners.

I'm hoping for a different rematch between two teams from the same division. It requires rooting for the Saints. Its going to feel pretty dirty doing that, but I think I can manage for one week.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #465
TroyF
Coordinator

Winners and Losers of ;the weekend:

Winners

Andrew Luck - The legend has started.

TY Hilton - Ditto for him, had a great year but this was a massive coming out party

Mike McCoy - The win ensures a wildly successful first year as coach of the Chargers

Kaepernick - Had an up down year vs. a tough schedule, but he really came through when it counted. Never let Aaron get the ball back.

Alex Smith - Sensational in a losing effort

Mark Ingram - Stepped up when the Saints needed him

Losers

Andy Dalton - Ouch, just a game you cannot have.

Chiefs defense - They were very ordinary for most of the season. They have a 28 point lead with less than a half to play. You cannot do what they did. Injuries, no injuries, I just don't care.

Cold Field Advantage - Packers, Bengals, Eagles all playing against west coast or dome teams in poor weather. All three lost.

Lashon McCoy - Terrific season, but a very ordinary game last night.

Trent Richardson - "Hey Trent, we know you struggled this year, but we are down 17-7 here and really need to do something now. Go give us a spark!1!!!" Fumbles ball without being touched. "Yo, Trent, why don't you go over there and sit down for the next few hour, thanks"

AJ Green - You know that drop you had on the 5 when you still had a chance? You kind of have to catch that ball. But drops happen to all of us, it's ok. 3 catches for 34 yards isn't.

Jerry Jones - So you dump Ryan for Kiffin. Ryan just got a playoff win. Beat the team you couldn't beat the last game of the season. Good call Jerry, good call.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #466
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
They called it consistently on both sides and throughout the game, can't ask for more than that.

There was also one of the more obvious missed holding calls on the other end of the field on 4th down for the Packers. How did Rodgers escape that rush? Well, the offensive lineman raped the guy who had a good shot at Rodgers.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #467
Radii
Head Coach

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #468
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
After reading comments from Bengals fans -- I get the desire to get rid of Dalton but honestly, how do you replace him? There's not a single free agent I would take over him so that leaves the draft. Do you spend a pick knowing you're going to need another 2-3 seasons to get a guy up to speed? Just seems you have to ride with him as you're in what I'll call Quarterback Purgatory.

Andrew Whitworth's comments seem very telling as either saying Gruden went off the gameplan or Dalton audibled out of way too many situations.

I'm afraid you're right. I don't think Dalton is the answer, but I don't know how you get anyone better. That siad, I's be open on draft day depending on who's available when the Bengals pick. They need a corner, but they don't have to have anything else this year. If Boyd or Carr is available, I'd at least think about it.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #469
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I actually get bummed about this, but most of the people I interact with through the interwebz who are 49ers fans are also super touchy about bad reffing. Makes me disappointed.

(Says the guy who complained about the refs on half of his posts in this thread)
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #470
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I actually get bummed about this, but most of the people I interact with through the interwebz who are 49ers fans are also super touchy about bad reffing. Makes me disappointed.

(Says the guy who complained about the refs on half of his posts in this thread)

I think a lot of 49ers fans (myself included) are super touchy about officiating in light of the no call when Crabtree was held at the end of the Superbowl. It doesn't mean the 49ers would have won, but it was a bad no-call.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #471
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

True, but it's hard to complain when it was almost the exact same play as Bowman made at the end of the Atlanta game in the NFC Championship.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #472
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think you obviously keep Dalton, but take a flier on a QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. How many needs do the Bengals have, honestly? They're one of the more complete teams in the league, I think.

Groom the draft pick for a year, maybe even two while Dalton's still the starter. Then hand the reins over.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-05-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #473
Arles
Grey Dog Software

When you haven't won a title in a while but have been in the playoffs, you tend to be super sensitive to bad calls. It's just human nature.

Last edited by Arles : 01-05-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #474
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I think you obviously keep Dalton, but take a flier on a QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. How many needs do the Bengals have, honestly? They're one of the more complete teams in the league, I think.

Groom the draft pick for a year, maybe even two while Dalton's still the starter. Then hand the reins over.

Dalton only has one year left on his contract.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #475
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So all four of my picks lost this weekend.

Impressed with myself, I am.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #476
Grover
Pro Starter

I recorded the game, but the result was ruined for me anyway.

I wouldn't mind a 2-3rd round pick on a QB if it makes sense. I'm worried Gruden won't be around too much longer and wonder if we can find an OC that's as talented as he's been to work with a young QB.

Dalton needs to learn to make better decisions, but I don't think he can. We'll see what he can do in a contract year.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #477
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I didn't actually make picks, but if I did, I would have went 2-2. The splits would have been funny. I'd have been 1-1 with the two home teams I picked, 1-1 with the AFC/NFC, 1-1 on Saturday and Sunday.

Go figure.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #478
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I only got one, so I know your pain.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #479
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Dalton only has one year left on his contract.

Franchise tag him after that last year. That gives him 5 years, if he hasn't made any progress, you move on. He obviously has promise, but he also just as obviously has a lot of work to do.

That loss is on Dalton/Gruden. The defense tried their ass off, limiting SD's points off the first few turnovers, but there was only so much they could do.

The clear book on Dalton is you blitz him, he can't handle it. So what did the Bengals do? They had no hot routes called when SD was blitzing from every which way. Not sure if that is Dalton's fault for failing to audible into a quick pass, or Gruden for having a shit game plan. But overall, you have to put it more on Dalton than anyone else, because even with Bernard's fumble, the Bengals were up 10-7 going into the half. The horrible throw off the back foot for an INT followed by the horrible throw to a blanketed Eifert for another INT are all on him.

I really think the team has to move on from Marvin at some point, but I am not sure if Brown will ever follow through on that as long as Brown is making his money.

Last edited by Butter : 01-06-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #480
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And that's another Gruden I don't get the push he seems to be getting to be a head coach.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #481
Desnudo
Coordinator

You could argue he's gotten the most out of Dalton anyone could reasonably expect. It's not like Dalton was expected to be a superstar. He seems like a QB you could win with if thongs break right like Flacco or Manning. But Marvin Lewis is certainly no Harbough or Coughlin.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #482
Grover
Pro Starter

Dalton has most likely already reached his ceiling. A solid middle-of-the-pack type that can win you games, but can also lose them in horrendous ways.

As far as Lewis goes, I've been saying for a long time that I don't think he is the coach that can get a playoff win for the Bengals. His clock management choices have always bugged the hell out of me.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #483
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I figured Dalton and AJ Green saved Lewis from getting fired. He's not a better coach. They just have more talent to counter what he doesn't bring to the table.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #484
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I figured Dalton and AJ Green saved Lewis from getting fired. He's not a better coach. They just have more talent to counter what he doesn't bring to the table.

Agreed. Lewis seems to be a good judge of talent, not so good game manager/coach in the playoffs. I wish they'd kick him upstairs, let him be GM, and find a new OC. I think Grudent tries to get too damn cute instead of sticking with what works/got you there.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #485
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Agreed. Lewis seems to be a good judge of talent, not so good game manager/coach in the playoffs. I wish they'd kick him upstairs, let him be GM, and find a new OC. I think Grudent tries to get too damn cute instead of sticking with what works/got you there.

Because ultimately, he's auditioning for a job.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #486
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
You could argue he's gotten the most out of Dalton anyone could reasonably expect. It's not like Dalton was expected to be a superstar. He seems like a QB you could win with if thongs break right like Flacco or Manning. But Marvin Lewis is certainly no Harbough or Coughlin.

This is how I feel about him as well. Living in Cinci and talking to several Bengals fans he certainly is a guy who you hope gets you there then gets hot for 3-4 games or at the very least manages the game well.

I was thinking on the way to work this morning he may have cost himself 30-40 million dollars yesterday. If he plays well yesterday and they travel to New England and lose, I think people go into next year with the attitude that they have something they can build on and he likely signs an extension prior to his walk year. Now it seems likely they play out next year and see how it goes.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #487
RedKingGold
College Starter

Andy Dalton is meant to have Alex Smith's career.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #488
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is how I feel about him as well. Living in Cinci and talking to several Bengals fans he certainly is a guy who you hope gets you there then gets hot for 3-4 games or at the very least manages the game well.

I was thinking on the way to work this morning he may have cost himself 30-40 million dollars yesterday. If he plays well yesterday and they travel to New England and lose, I think people go into next year with the attitude that they have something they can build on and he likely signs an extension prior to his walk year. Now it seems likely they play out next year and see how it goes.

I'm thinking the same. He'll be looking at competing for starting job money instead of franchise QB money until he stops laying eggs in the playoffs. Yesterday was his best playoff performance to date, but it was against an 8-8 team, at home. Now the offensive line played like total shit in the middle on pass protection, I don't know whose fault that is, but no QB looks good with guys in his face as soon as he ends his drop back. I feel like Kyle Cook isn't a very good center, and hope Cinci looks for a major upgrade there first and foremost. Still a young team, no need to panic, but if it happens 4 years in a row, it's a problem that can no longer be ignored.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #489
Butter
Coordinator

People keep saying the Bengals need to draft on defense in the first round, but I think they need to go O-line or D-line. They will still have solid LBs and CBs, but their weakness along both the O and D lines were exposed with injuries this year. They don't HAVE to have anything in particular, which is a good place to be in round 1... but they could really use more depth along the O-line. I agree that the performance yesterday was not great by the O-line, but even so as a QB if you see a blitz coming you need to check to something quick, and more often than not that wasn't done, or it was done incorrectly.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #490
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DJ Gallo tweet from earlier is pretty much spot on

Quote:
We're now glimpsing the full destruction Flacco's title wrought. Teams feel their semi-decent QBs (Cutler, Dalton) might break through, too
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #491
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather that than the early 2000s Trent Dilfer "we don't even need a QB- just running and defense" model

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-06-2014 at 11:22 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #492
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I'm thinking the same. He'll be looking at competing for starting job money instead of franchise QB money until he stops laying eggs in the playoffs.

Starting job money and franchise QB money is pretty close to the same at this point, no? And that's the scary thing when it comes to deciding on these guys. I'm struggling to think of recent extensions that wouldn't qualify as the latter, outside of maybe an old guy like Carson Palmer.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #493
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Seattle is more talented than New Orleans, and I expect them to win.

However, as a Saints fan, I am feeling better about this game with them having been blown out in the regular season than I would be if they have played a close game. Something about getting your butt unequivocally kicked makes the rematch feel a bit like playing with house money. And, to the extent professional athletes being paid millions of dollars still need things like "nobody believes in us" to motivate themselves for a playoff game, this game certainly has that going for the Saints.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #494
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Winners and Losers of ;the weekend:

Winners

Andrew Luck - The legend has started.

TY Hilton - Ditto for him, had a great year but this was a massive coming out party

Mike McCoy - The win ensures a wildly successful first year as coach of the Chargers

Kaepernick - Had an up down year vs. a tough schedule, but he really came through when it counted. Never let Aaron get the ball back.

Alex Smith - Sensational in a losing effort

Mark Ingram - Stepped up when the Saints needed him

Losers

Andy Dalton - Ouch, just a game you cannot have.

Chiefs defense - They were very ordinary for most of the season. They have a 28 point lead with less than a half to play. You cannot do what they did. Injuries, no injuries, I just don't care.

Cold Field Advantage - Packers, Bengals, Eagles all playing against west coast or dome teams in poor weather. All three lost.

Lashon McCoy - Terrific season, but a very ordinary game last night.

Trent Richardson - "Hey Trent, we know you struggled this year, but we are down 17-7 here and really need to do something now. Go give us a spark!1!!!" Fumbles ball without being touched. "Yo, Trent, why don't you go over there and sit down for the next few hour, thanks"

AJ Green - You know that drop you had on the 5 when you still had a chance? You kind of have to catch that ball. But drops happen to all of us, it's ok. 3 catches for 34 yards isn't.

Jerry Jones - So you dump Ryan for Kiffin. Ryan just got a playoff win. Beat the team you couldn't beat the last game of the season. Good call Jerry, good call.

I would say the biggest winner was actually Michael Crabtree. He was out for 11 games then he returns to make very clutch receptions in the game,
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #495
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
They need to realize he is not Brees, Manning, or Brady and give him an offense that is more to his skills.
What are his skills? Dumping the ball off to Bernard, throwing jump balls to AJ Green and hitting other guys who are wide open when the defenses focus too much on the first two? I don't watch as many Bengals games as you guys, but to use the FOF analogy, he doesn't seem to be a guy who excels in short passes or deep passes, but instead has middling ratings across the board. Only thing you can really say is that he's turnover-prone when teams blitz him, but that's true for most QB's, and the only real answers there are building in more quick slants or screen passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I recorded the game, but the result was ruined for me anyway.

I wouldn't mind a 2-3rd round pick on a QB if it makes sense. I'm worried Gruden won't be around too much longer and wonder if we can find an OC that's as talented as he's been to work with a young QB.

Dalton needs to learn to make better decisions, but I don't think he can. We'll see what he can do in a contract year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
You could argue he's gotten the most out of Dalton anyone could reasonably expect. It's not like Dalton was expected to be a superstar. He seems like a QB you could win with if thongs break right like Flacco or Manning.
Andy Dalton really does remind me of Joe Flacco (overall, not in QB style), and even the numbers are eerily similar.

Dalton QB rating going into contract year - 85.7
Flacco QB rating going into contract year - 86.3
Flacco QB rating in contract year - 87.7 (then great 4-game playoff stretch)
(Flacco QB rating next year - 73.7)

I think we know what Dalton is at this point, and he probably won't deviate much from his career norms in Year 4. But just like Flacco (or Stafford, or Cutler) he's an average to above-average QB who'll get overpaid like an elite one because you just can't afford to risk letting one of those go.

(Funny thing on Flacco - looking at his "most similar" scores on PFR, 3 of the 4 every year are Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton and Joe Namath - a.k.a. possibly the 3 most overrated QB's ever.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #496
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
DJ Gallo tweet from earlier is pretty much spot on -
We're now glimpsing the full destruction Flacco's title wrought. Teams feel their semi-decent QBs (Cutler, Dalton) might break through, too
Average to above average QB getting hot for a playoff stretch and winning a title? Eli Manning did it well before Flacco. (Hi Lathum!)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #497
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Need to hold them to this midrange FG attempt. Might be a bit tricky with a rock for a football.
We were debating this yesterday - does the NFL let them swap balls on FG attempts? (In which case they'd have a decently warm one to put in.) Otherwise I'd agree with you.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #498
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Average to above average QB getting hot for a playoff stretch and winning a title? Eli Manning did it well before Flacco. (Hi Lathum!)

twice!!

I think there was a time Eli flirted with whatever elite means, but at this point he is extremely average. I would still take him over guys like Flacco and Dalton, and likely Alex Smith, but until he makes better decisions he is in that group
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #499
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Not sure I'm ready to give up on Dalton just yet. There was the Bernard fumble which was a real momentum killer then the Green pass that would've been an easy TD which was dropped while they were still in the game.

I think Dalton needs to learn not to press when the game isn't going well.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #500
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What are his skills? Dumping the ball off to Bernard, throwing jump balls to AJ Green and hitting other guys who are wide open when the defenses focus too much on the first two? I don't watch as many Bengals games as you guys, but to use the FOF analogy, he doesn't seem to be a guy who excels in short passes or deep passes, but instead has middling ratings across the board. Only thing you can really say is that he's turnover-prone when teams blitz him, but that's true for most QB's, and the only real answers there are building in more quick slants or screen passes.Andy Dalton really does remind me of Joe Flacco (overall, not in QB style), and even the numbers are eerily similar.

Dalton QB rating going into contract year - 85.7
Flacco QB rating going into contract year - 86.3
Flacco QB rating in contract year - 87.7 (then great 4-game playoff stretch)
(Flacco QB rating next year - 73.7)

I think we know what Dalton is at this point, and he probably won't deviate much from his career norms in Year 4. But just like Flacco (or Stafford, or Cutler) he's an average to above-average QB who'll get overpaid like an elite one because you just can't afford to risk letting one of those go.

(Funny thing on Flacco - looking at his "most similar" scores on PFR, 3 of the 4 every year are Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton and Joe Namath - a.k.a. possibly the 3 most overrated QB's ever.)

It's the contract that makes me want to take a QB at the 24 pick. The team can afford to this year as they are loaded and have very few free agents. Long term I don't think the team can be good if Dalton is making 15 million.