Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #101
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
I still don't understand what the Phillies are in this for, but whatever

edit: your assertions about hard-balling these kids, to me, that dog won't hunt

What are the agents talking tough "in this for"? Pure loyalty and love for their clients? (whose college careers they ruined by giving them the hard sell to sign with them)? These are all people with high stress jobs trying to play the game.

Last edited by molson : 02-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #102
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Yeah, they're in it for themselves - to make sure their clients don't get lowballed. So what?

Everyone is in it for themselves - yet everyone has a reason to do what they're doing, except the Phillies who look to gain minimally and lose quite a bit.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 02-20-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #103
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Yeah, they're in it for themselves - to make sure their clients don't get lowballed. So what?

Everyone is in it for themselves - yet everyone has a reason to do what they're doing, except the Phillies who look to gain minimally and lose quite a bit.

Do you think its unethical when an agent invents a "mystery team" in free agent negotiations, or lies about his clients' desire to go to college? It seems like you only have a problem with the Phillies playing dirty. (Edit: Listening to agents whine about this is rich - I would love to see how or if they explain this risk to their clients before they sign on). But again, if this isn't a rule in the first place, and the NCAA doesn't govern player/MLB negotiations, then none of this is an issue. Even that article which is so riled up about this portrays the NCAA as the ultimate villain here, which I agree with completely. Business and agents are going to act in scummy ways, this is just an example of the NCAA facilitating that, as usual, to the detriment of college students.

Last edited by molson : 02-20-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #104
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

You keep reading into what I'm saying. I don't CARE about the Phillies doing this. I don't UNDERSTAND the Phillies doing this.

If you want to cluck your tongue at everyone involved, be my guest.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #105
molson
General Manager

I think I understand the Phillies angle, I'm a little less clear on the agents' angle in lashing out, or why, (or if), you think it's somehow better, or less vengeful. I THINK the agents are trying to cover their ass for ruining their clients' college careers, and it might also be just emotionally retaliatory in the way you think the Philllies are. Or do you think their motives are more 100% business related? Probably just a combination of all of the above, like you sometimes have in continuously adversarial business relationships.

Last edited by molson : 02-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #106
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The per year isn't that bad, AJ Burnett just got basically the same amount. Its the years that are the scary part of a deal like that IMO. There is no way you can count on a guy staying healthy for that long a stretch.

Just can't judge baseball contracts on per year because ultimately they aren't. I would never sign a pitcher for more than three years. I know I would lose out on the great ones but just too dangerous in my opinion.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #107
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The Phillies come across as scumbags of the highest order - anyone who helps the NCAA cartel is just... ugh.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #108
PilotMan
Head Coach

The first spring training games are on MLB.TV today. Yay!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #109
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah PilotMan I saw the same - now that my MLB.TV payment went through I might as well make use of it!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #110
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah PilotMan I saw the same - now that my MLB.TV payment went through I might as well make use of it!

Ah yes, the first sign of spring, getting auto-charged by MLB.TV for a new season!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Time to turn the TV on.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #112
Logan
Head Coach

12:40pm: See over/under of 73.5 for the Mets for the season.
12:45pm: Send message to my fellow Mets fan friends on our email thread, sharing this info and asking for opinions.
12:51pm: Send another email agreeing with two others that I like the over to come in, slightly...75-76 range.
1:16pm: Hear Jon Niese has soreness in his previously injured shoulder and is headed back to NY for an MRI.

I consider that 25 minutes of legitimate optimism for the season. Surely that will be the high point the rest of the way.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #113
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Bautista.. we have liftoff!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #114
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ah yes, the first sign of spring, getting auto-charged by MLB.TV for a new season!

eevry year this pisses my wife off, and every year I "forget" to cancel it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #115
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

I was about to cancel. But the Jeter retirement announcement stopped me. Living on the West Coast really gives me no choice as a Yankee fan.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #116
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

I signed up for a half season of NHL Gamecenter at New Year, so I am going to wait until the NHL playoffs for a deal on MLB.tv. I figure that there should be 50% discount deals around fathers day or the All Star game.

In the UK NHL Gamecenter and MLB.tv give us full coverage of the playoffs, and no MLB blackouts, and I just don't have time to make full use of both subscriptions at the same time!
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #117
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So what happens when metered data caps destroy the MLB.tv package for a lot of people? Apparently a game is 5-8gb and you could easily blow through your 250gb limit every month. A good block of netflix viewing can be about 20GB in a day. MLB would likely lose a lot of subscriptions when data caps become more widespread.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #118
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So what happens when metered data caps destroy the MLB.tv package for a lot of people? Apparently a game is 5-8gb and you could easily blow through your 250gb limit every month. A good block of netflix viewing can be about 20GB in a day. MLB would likely lose a lot of subscriptions when data caps become more widespread.

I'm going to pull an ostrich on this one and bury my head and pretend that doesn't exist.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #119
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

People learn to a) pay for a higher tier, b) stream at a lower resolution, or c) stop watching ten Breaking Bad episodes a day.

Alternately, if Comcast is getting paid by Netflix, AND Cogent AND the consumer, then if Netflix loses customers because of data caps, they've got strong incentive to argue that Netflix traffic shouldn't count against data caps. More than anythig there needs to be a hell of a lot more pushback from content providers and consumers on ISPs than there seems to be.

Last edited by Shkspr : 02-26-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #120
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

Up until a few years ago I had a 50gb data cap, and it was never an issue with mlb.tv (though the video quality has probably improved since then)
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #121
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I signed up for a half season of NHL Gamecenter at New Year, so I am going to wait until the NHL playoffs for a deal on MLB.tv. I figure that there should be 50% discount deals around fathers day or the All Star game.

In the UK NHL Gamecenter and MLB.tv give us full coverage of the playoffs, and no MLB blackouts, and I just don't have time to make full use of both subscriptions at the same time!

The last two years they've had a $50 special for Father's Day, yes.

The best part about that special is that you don't get auto-renewed the next year. Yeah, you miss the first two months of the season, but since you get archival access, if there's a no-hitter or something you're able to go back and watch it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

Sox fans...I'm going to be working up in Boston for three weeks starting 3/31, excluding weekends, thankfully. I've never been to Fenway so I'm targeting Monday April 7th against Texas with a backup of the following day (Monday starts an hour later which is better for getting out of work and to the game on time).

If anyone is interested in grabbing some tickets and going, let me know. No need to commit now, and I'll post again once we get closer.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #123
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sox fans...I'm going to be working up in Boston for three weeks starting 3/31, excluding weekends, thankfully. I've never been to Fenway so I'm targeting Monday April 7th against Texas with a backup of the following day (Monday starts an hour later which is better for getting out of work and to the game on time).

If anyone is interested in grabbing some tickets and going, let me know. No need to commit now, and I'll post again once we get closer.

Sure!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #124
Comey
College Starter

A couple of my friends and I are going to Fenway on April 18, I believe, to get a batting practice tour before the O's game. Get to watch batting practice from atop the Monster. Can't wait.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #125
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I've had the MLB Extra Innings package for the past two years on Directv, but this year I decided to go with mlb.tv. It's $70 cheaper for the entire season, and it includes all of the televised spring training games. It's also portable, which was a significant factor in switching over. I have an AppleTV streaming to the HDTV. The resolution is superb, and so far I haven't seen any buffering issues.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #126
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I've had the MLB Extra Innings package for the past two years on Directv, but this year I decided to go with mlb.tv. It's $70 cheaper for the entire season, and it includes all of the televised spring training games. It's also portable, which was a significant factor in switching over. I have an AppleTV streaming to the HDTV. The resolution is superb, and so far I haven't seen any buffering issues.

I always go with mlb.tv in case I want to watch a local team on the tv and another game on another device. It also frees up the tv in case the wife wants to watch something else. It's a dream for baseball lovers.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals on today..
Old 03-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #128
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone know where I can find clean box scores from spring training games? The ones on the MLB.com network have video and have to click around a bunch of times to see the info that I want to see.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #129
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Does anyone know where I can find clean box scores from spring training games? The ones on the MLB.com network have video and have to click around a bunch of times to see the info that I want to see.

For games in progress, or finished games? For in-progress, it looks like the only one that has box scores is the MLB site.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #130
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Lot of cool new stats being tracked by MLB - MLBAM introduces new way to analyze every play | MLB.com: News

Size is an issue (7TB per game?) but this could help push forward some defensive measures.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #131
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
For games in progress, or finished games? For in-progress, it looks like the only one that has box scores is the MLB site.

Finished games.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #132
henry296
College Starter

ESPN's seem ok to me. There is a quick video on the main page, but not for each game.

MLB Baseball Scores - MLB Scoreboard - ESPN
Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #133
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ian Kinsler seems a little bitter about the trade that sent him to Detroit.

Ian Kinsler of Detroit Tigers hopes Texas Rangers, sleazeball GM Jon Daniels go 0-162 - ESPN Dallas
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #134
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What, did he not realize that he could be traded or something?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #135
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
He and Berkman are going to sign one-day contracts so that they can retire as Astros, and will be honored before their April 5th game.

Astros to honor Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt prior to contest with Angels on April 5 | MLB.com: News

Single game seats went on sale yesterday for the Astros.

Any of the Houston-area folk (Jeeber, cartman, etc) interested in hitting up this game? I'm thinking of getting tickets for myself and my wife but anyone else planning on going- we could try to sit together.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #136
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ian Kinsler seems a little bitter about the trade that sent him to Detroit.

Ian Kinsler of Detroit Tigers hopes Texas Rangers, sleazeball GM Jon Daniels go 0-162 - ESPN Dallas

Sometimes you just struggle to come up with an end goal when you see these things.

He's complaining about being asked to be a leader. (poor baby) He's stating he's working hard to get in shape so he can be a better second baseman this year. Ummm, you think you probably should have done that for the team who gave you your contract and wanted you to move to 1B because your defense had slipped and there were better options? If you would have, you know, worked like this last year instead of crying like a toddler, who probably would have been much better off.

Wishing your friends to go 0162? Remind me to never have you as a friend. There is competition and when you are facing your former team you obviously want to beat them. But to hope your friends lose EVERY game they play. Yeah, you are a sleazeball.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Kinsler has always been a bit of a jerk, at least in the interactions I have seen of him against the Angels. If he's unhappy, I am okay with that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #138
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

If Kinsler wants to give me those odds I'd be more than willing to bet the over with him.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #139
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Lot of cool new stats being tracked by MLB - MLBAM introduces new way to analyze every play | MLB.com: News

Size is an issue (7TB per game?) but this could help push forward some defensive measures.

This is HUGE.

Also, I'm going to see the Rays play in Boston at the end of May. First time at Fenway since I was 8 years old or something.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #140
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
This is HUGE.

Also, I'm going to see the Rays play in Boston at the end of May. First time at Fenway since I was 8 years old or something.
Solid Grantland article about it - Q&A: MLB Advanced Media’s Bob Bowman Discusses Revolutionary New Play-Tracking System «
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #141
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Red Sox owner John W. Henry isn’t on the premises, but he created a bit of a ripple with a tweeted zinger directed at the Miami Marlins, who were reportedly “outraged” because the Sox sent a lineup light on regulars for their game Thursday in Jupiter.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-08-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #142
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Red Sox owner John W. Henry isn’t on the premises, but he created a bit of a ripple with a tweeted zinger directed at the Miami Marlins, who were reportedly “outraged” because the Sox sent a lineup light on regulars for their game Thursday in Jupiter.

Trivia question: Who is the only man to own the Marlins and NOT win a World Series title with them?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #143
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Trivia question: Who is the only man to own the Marlins and NOT win a World Series title with them?

True. I just thought the quote was hilarious.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #144
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Amazing to think that the Opening Series in Sydney is in just two weeks. It's nice to feel like we're coming into the great part of the sports year.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #145
SackAttack
Head Coach

Went back and read the 2011 thread again to try to get a handle on that year's Red Sox team.

Basically, the 2011 Red Sox spent 1/4 of the year as the 2013 Astros and 3/4 of the year as the 1975 Reds. It's just that they did their Reds impersonation from the second half of April through August, and spent the first two weeks and the final month Astro'ing it up.

That's got to be the most schizophrenic season in baseball history.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #146
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

That is hilarious. Burn!
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #147
rowech
Pro Starter

Does anyone know if Direct TV will be providing MLBTV to Extra Inning subscribers like some of the other carriers?

Verizon MLB Extra Innings
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

The always entertaining Ron Washington:

Rangers spring break: 20,000 pennies for your thoughts | Texas Rangers | Texas Rangers News a...

Quote:
Washington responded by filling a box with $200 in pennies and mailing it to Bob Watson, MLB vice president in charge of discipline. Cost to mail it to New York: About $45.

Watson called after receiving the box.

Watson: “And you just had $200 in pennies hanging around?
Washington: “Yes. Bob, I didn’t have my checkbook. I wasn’t trying to be funny. Now go to the bank and put that in the [change] machine and get your $200.”
Old 03-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #149
cartman
Death Herald

That's the way baseball fines go
Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #150
Bobble
College Prospect

Has anyone else been watching the MLB network's airing of some of the spring training games? The Kim Jong Un-Axe commercial is being played EVERY commercial break. OK. We get it. You have a new commercial. Yeesh.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote