Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #151
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If it weren't for an error, the Tigers would have blanked the Twins in each of the first three games.

I do feel bad for Moliter. Not too bad though.

Grabbed from ESPN...

"Twins manager Paul Molitor is off to a rough start. He’s only the second manager to be outscored by at least 20 runs in his first three games and the first in 110 years (Fred Tenney, 1905 Beaneaters)."

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #152
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Growing up an Orioles fan, I distinctly remember the inauspicious start the O's had in 1978. They got slaughtered by the Brewers their first three games 11-3, 16-3 and 13-5. That's a combined 40-11, managed by Earl Weaver.

So, I'm going to assume ESPN is wrong here?

EDIT: Oh, NEW manager. Never mind
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 04-10-2015 at 01:33 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #153
Grover
Pro Starter

Break up the Twins!

Man, the White Sox are awful.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #154
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Real fun Reds game tonight. B-Ham doing some awesome things on the bases, Votto redemption, Chapman being amazing.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #155
JPhillips
General Manager

How Jason Marquis got seven strikeouts is a great mystery.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL at Yankee Stadium. Several banks of lights go out. Umpires confer.

Fans have turned on their phones to offer additional lighting
Old 04-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #157
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the Yanks-Sox game has hit 5 hours, just like every other Yanks-Red Sox game. :P
Old 04-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #158
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Maybe baseball should take a page out of the NHL's book... Every inning after the 15th you have to play with one less fielder.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #159
Jas_lov
College Starter

Game is going to hit 7 hours. Sox score one run in the top of 16th and top of 18th, Yanks match them both times. Esmil Rodgers's arm is going to fall off.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:42 AM   #160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That game, with Costas doing pbp, is probably the very first time in my entire life I've considered that finding some sort of shootout method of ending a baseball game might not be a bad thing.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #161
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez 19 inning ts of Red Sox -Yankees style baseball is like three games with any other teams. There 9 inning games were like 4 1/2 hours already.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #162
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Mejija of the mets is now out 80 for roids....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #163
Ramzavail
College Starter

ugh
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There has to be a tainted substance at this point or a common supplier of roids. That's 4 guys on the same exact thing now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #165
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There has to be a tainted substance at this point or a common supplier of roids. That's 4 guys on the same exact thing now.

It's strange that a group of guys are suddenly popping for a steroid that's fairly easy to detect and has been abused by athletes like Ben Johnson and Canseco.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #166
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's strange that a group of guys are suddenly popping for a steroid that's fairly easy to detect and has been abused by athletes like Ben Johnson and Canseco.

Athletes aren't the brightest bulbs...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. I was thinking this was the Ben Johnson roid. Oldie but a goodie I guess.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #168
Grover
Pro Starter

Kendrys Morales continues to show great plate discipline and eye this year. Bizarro world.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #169
Easy Mac

5-0
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #170
cuervo72
Head Coach

Damn, Padres going berzerk.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #171
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Damn, Padres going berzerk.

Pent up demand.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #172
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Weird to even try to analyze Bumgarner's pitching tonight. He looked out of sorts all evening, without much stuff on his pitches. That being said, most of the damage was done on ground balls that weren't hit particularly hard but just happened to find holes. Combine that with the Padres getting approximately 85 extra bases on terrible throwing choices by the Giants outfield...by the end he started giving up loud contact, but that was after four runs were already in.

With his crazy work load last season, every single poor start is going to be over-analyzed like crazy, but it's hard not to worry, especially when the rest of the staff looks so weak already.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #173
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Pent up demand.

And the Giants have Pence up demand
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOL. Trout picking a fight with the Royals after they score a run to only be down 7-2 and approaching a sweep has to be one of the funnier tough guy moments I've seen in awhile.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #175
rowech
Pro Starter

Reds lose because they lack patience/discipline at the plate and an inability to bunt. Most impatient baseball team I've ever seen.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #176
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Feel Good Story Time...

Paulo Orlando, a 10 year minor league vet, has played in 2 major league games so far for the Royals, going 3 for 7 with 3 triples.

Just announced that he's the first player to ever start a career with three triples.

Last edited by Scarecrow : 04-12-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And then there were two.

Royals and Tigers the only remaining undefeated teams.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #178
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
LOL. Trout picking a fight with the Royals after they score a run to only be down 7-2 and approaching a sweep has to be one of the funnier tough guy moments I've seen in awhile.

I didn't watch the game but I read an article on that later on my AT&T feed which makes it sound like Ventura was the one doing the theatrics, staring down Trout for getting a hit off of him after Ventura buzzed Trout high and inside. And then Trout scored on the double and was apparently happy about doing that (shocker).

I can't remember the quote from the Royals manager after the game, but it was something along the lines of "Ventura sometimes gets a little heated out there."

Again, though, I didn't watch it, so maybe I missed something.

Great series for the Royals. The Angels have to figure out a way to beat those guys.

It would help if they stopped acting like asshats over the Hamilton thing. You can't tell me that shit ain't affecting that clubhouse. I think I would take a swing at Moreno by now for the crap he has done and let happen under him with this.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I didn't watch the game but I read an article on that later on my AT&T feed which makes it sound like Ventura was the one doing the theatrics, staring down Trout for getting a hit off of him after Ventura buzzed Trout high and inside. And then Trout scored on the double and was apparently happy about doing that (shocker).

I can't remember the quote from the Royals manager after the game, but it was something along the lines of "Ventura sometimes gets a little heated out there."

Again, though, I didn't watch it, so maybe I missed something.

Trout had a couple last second time outs when Ventura was about to pitch, trying to throw off his rhythm. Within the rules, but you could tell Ventura was pretty pissed about it both times. That was the reason for the stare-down. I'm actually a bit surprised that Trout didn't get thrown at after that.

Trout knew exactly why he was getting stared at, but most articles glossed over that part because he's known as a 'good guy'.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #180
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Looks like DeGrom is going to be the guy who gets no run support this year
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trout had a couple last second time outs when Ventura was about to pitch, trying to throw off his rhythm. Within the rules, but you could tell Ventura was pretty pissed about it both times. That was the reason for the stare-down. I'm actually a bit surprised that Trout didn't get thrown at after that.

Trout knew exactly why he was getting stared at, but most articles glossed over that part because he's known as a 'good guy'.

Sounds like normal gamesmanship to me, especially when you say it was within the new rules. Why would Trout get thrown out for that?

Ventura needs to keep his temper.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Sounds like normal gamesmanship to me, especially when you say it was within the new rules. Why would Trout get thrown out for that?

Ventura needs to keep his temper.

Thrown at, not out.

In the end, there were two 23-year competitive players out there. One's a hothead because he's competitive while the other is a competitor because he's a media darling.

Regardless, the Royals rectified the situation as they should: they beat the snot out of them on the scoreboard.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
One's a hothead because he's competitive while the other is a competitor because he's a media darling.

huh?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I went to a AA double header on Sunday. Games both moved pretty fast. Seemed like the new pace of play clock could use work but I dint exactly see them being that big of a deal either.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thrown at, not out.

In the end, there were two 23-year competitive players out there. One's a hothead because he's competitive while the other is a competitor because he's a media darling.

Regardless, the Royals rectified the situation as they should: they beat the snot out of them on the scoreboard.

Even if you think that Trout transgressed by engaging in some gamesmanship (again, within the rules), Ventura buzzed him high and tight. Okay, that should be it. Trout did his thing, Ventura sent a message. All good.

But then I guess Trout had the audacity to actually get a hit off of Ventura. So that deserves a staredown? Or scoring on the following double and showing celebration for that, that deserves a face to face?

Trout's not getting the benefit of the doubt just because he's a media darling. He's getting it because Ventura was pretty much an ass. And what is even more stupid on Ventura's part, he did it in a game where the Royals were up big, so who gives a bleep?

Good for Ventura that he doesn't have to bat against the Angels, so he can just do whatever he wants.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #186
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Trout's not getting the benefit of the doubt just because he's a media darling. He's getting it because Ventura was pretty much an ass. And what is even more stupid on Ventura's part, he did it in a game where the Royals were up big, so who gives a bleep?

They asked a couple former players on MLB Network about the situation. Responses ranged from '23 year olds just being idiots, nothing to see here' to 'I'm glad to see the Royals players with a chip on their shoulder because they're going to play all year long with a target on their back after last year's WS run.'
Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #187
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mookie Betts stole two bases on one play (the Nationals challenged both, which I thought was funny), then robbed Bryce Harper of a Homer, then hit a three run homer. Sheesh.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #188
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Looks like DeGrom is going to be the guy who gets no run support this year

Yeah, but if the upgraded bullpen continues to pitch that well, it may not matter as much as it may have in the past!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-13-2015 at 03:08 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #189
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Someone should be playing Yakety Sax every time someone in the Nationals Outfield tries to make a play.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #190
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the Nationals Infield gets in on the action.. there should be 4 or 5 outs in this inning, instead it's 7-0 Sox with 1 out.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. We'll see if it pans out.

Quote:
Jayson Stark @jaysonst · 6 minutes ago

The #Royals are the 8th World Series team to start the next season 6-0 or better. The other 7 finished the year an avg of 26 games over .500
Old 04-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #192
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Watch: Mets fan throws beer at Phillies outfielder | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

What a waste of a $9 beer...at least throw it on a player on a good team.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-13-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm going to be one fat bastard if this offense keeps going like this.

For the uninitiated, Papa John's offers 50% off menu price online the day after a Royals win if they score at least five runs. They've been tossing out the pizzas this week to say the least.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #194
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For the uninitiated, they do that in all markets for the local teams.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-13-2015 at 06:04 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #195
Suicane75
Coordinator

Tens of Thousand of Phillies fans will die of starvation this year.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #196
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
More Rangers heading to the DL. In addition to Derek Holland getting put on the 60 day over the weekend, new outfielder Ryan Rua is out for at least 3 weeks with a fractured heel, and reliever Lisalverto Bonilla was moved from the 15 day to the 60 day and will have Tommy John surgery at the end of the week. I was hoping that last year was just an aberration on the injury front, but this season is starting off just as bad.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Love it.

Hudisms 2014: The definitive list - Royals Review

Quote:
Things Rex Hudler Actually Says: 2014 Version

1. Good ball players learn to spread out their lower half.
2. The flamingo kick is obviously named after the bird that stands on one leg.
3. I could pass a huge turd when I got a 2 or 3 year deal.
4. The bodies you would see when showering with the pitchers?! Oh man.
5. My antennas will be up and watching for them.
6. How about a doink, bloop, or a blast right here.
7. Players, really, are property.
8. I say, "Bruce, I watch you chew that gum, man. It's amazing how you chomp that thing!"
9. I get hungry when you throw that accent out there!
10. I had a license at one time, but they've taken it from me.
11. That had too much hair on it.
12. Be a fountain, not a drain
13. Oh, that was nice. How bout just a thing. Throw a little thing out there, Moose.
14. He wants to try to shoot that hole anywhere. Any hole.
15. Did you know that’s a video game now? Angry Birds?
16. Maybe Billy can wake those ducks up.
17. That's not just a circle change! He curls that thing all the way up into a little donut!
18. He brings a lunch pail to work, even though he probably really doesn't.
19. Everything went well but the loss.
20. His teammates call him Wader. I’ll say! Wader, check please!
21. He said this weekend he's gonna give him a blow in Seattle. He'd like to, as the season goes on, once a week.
22. Hosmer! What a play to knock that thing down! And then his arm is still on his body!
23. Rex: It's a beautiful planet.
Ryan: Well, it's a moon...
Rex: Looks like a planet to me.
24. The bird's nest is full, and Holland has got to be able to keep that goose egg in it.
25. He knows how to handle those dirty socks!
26. Let me show you in fast motion -- if you can watch my hands. They used to call me the Thief of Baghdad.
27. I've sampled several types of insects. Moths are a little dusty.
28. That ball's got some hair on it.
29. That feels so good, he's like, "Ha ha! There it was, something I could reach out and touch!"
30. It's how you ingest the pie that will determine how far your future will be in this game.
31. He wants to feel the wood in his hands.
32. Everything's going right for the Royals. Stay in the tree, fellas.
33. Speaking about the great country of Louisiana, I'm sure.
34. I think Lorenzo will drop his doinker here.
35. Monty drilled me at The Little K my first year.
36. Ned Yost is a baseball guy. He knows baseball.
37. He's going back with a little cock, and then he's coming through with his hands.
38. And he started running around the clubhouse like a soccer guy that scored a goal.
39. I didn't recognize him.. because I've never met him. So I guess that makes sense.
40. Does football even have a Pro Bowl?
41. Luck is a big word that is used, and we see it all the time in society and in life.
42. With that one swing, Billy said, "how dare you. not designate me as a hitter today."
43. Hitters like the chocolate chips. Especially with the chips on base.
44. It’s like a dragster, you see how they race? They go pedal to the metal and they are OUT.
45. Hud: Maternity. Fraternity, It's Fraternity, right?
Ryan: Paternity.
Hud: I knew it was one of those things.
46. Oakland plays both of their sports in one city.
47. There's an umpire at every base, nearly.
48. I don't blame you. It looks nice and tight.
49. That's a pretty nice picture of a bus.
50. Peguero, he shot an arrow!
51. Frasor... pulls out... the razor. Nice.
52. If you can find the hole, you win. If not, it can be a very frustrating evening.
53. That movement was sick. Sick is a word I learned from my kids, Ryan. That's one of the words the young kids use nowadays.
54. It's bad to get hit on your chin. Because it's attached to your head.
55. You're asking a dumb bird a stupid question.
56. What a great natural drug ice is.
57. What do you call Puerto Rico? Is it a State? Is it a Country? I know it's not a planet.
58.Yard is another word for ballpark. Players say that.
59. And Billy's drive... sends Bauer.. to the shower.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #198
cartman
Death Herald

Open letter to MBBF:

We get it. You like the Royals. Please don't shit all over this thread as you cannot seem to avoid doing in just about every other thread you post in.

Signed,
FOFC
Old 04-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

#royalpain
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #200
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rex Hudler's role model must be Bill Walton. I'm kind of glad he's not in SoCal anymore
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote