Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #451
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Pence the VP pick for Trump. Are there really that many social conservatives who were planning on sitting out rather than vote Trump?
If you count "voting for someone other than HRC or DJT," then absolutely. I was in my home town last week, and I had lunch one day with 6 guys, all social conservatives, all said planning to vote 3rd party "unless Trump picks a true conservative as his VP. If that happened, I'd have to think and pray about it more."
Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #452
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I have to admit, Pence looks pretty good on paper when you see this list
http://www.ontheissues.org/IN/Mike_Pence.htm

The age of some of those positions (a decade old in numerous cases) is a concern, but the only obvious misstep I saw was once voting for giving DC an electoral vote.

He's not gonna rehab Trump for me but I can see, based on this at least, how he could for others.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #453
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Pence also has the same number of letters and syllables as Trump. His name won't overshadow Trump's when saying them together. It may have been a consideration .
Old 07-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #454
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Looks like the kind of person for whom people might say "I like the cut of his jib"

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 07-14-2016 at 01:39 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #455
Drake
assmaster

"Not worth a Trumppence"
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #456
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
If you count "voting for someone other than HRC or DJT," then absolutely. I was in my home town last week, and I had lunch one day with 6 guys, all social conservatives, all said planning to vote 3rd party "unless Trump picks a true conservative as his VP. If that happened, I'd have to think and pray about it more."

I'm not sure, however, that most of the states where social conservatives hold a sizable enough voting block were ever going to be seriously threatened to go Hillary.

A bump in social conservative votes aren't going to flip the swing states.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #457
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I'm not sure, however, that most of the states where social conservatives hold a sizable enough voting block were ever going to be seriously threatened to go Hillary.

A bump in social conservative votes aren't going to flip the swing states.
I tend to agree with that. I was just answering his specific question.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Pence also has the same number of letters and syllables as Trump. His name won't overshadow Trump's when saying them together. It may have been a consideration .

Maybe not so much the saying of them, but perhaps the signage?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #459
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe not so much the saying of them, but perhaps the signage?

Well if you want nice signage, CHRISTie looks good on a sign when trying to appeal to religious voters .
Old 07-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #460
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Funny. A few months ago people were predicting a split in the party and the end of the GOP as we know it.

Now, Trump is picking an establishment guy as his VP, and the race is tight and it looks like it will be some version of the same map we've had since 2000.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #461
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
and the race is tight

anyone willing to put some money on trump to win, please pm me.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #462
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
anyone willing to put some money on trump to win, please pm me.

Eh, a lot of people really want to get behind Trump's policies if only he wouldn't so explicitly spell out the intention behind them. 3 months of him sounding more 'establishment' is plenty of time for voters like that to forget about the last however many years.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #464
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Eh, a lot of people really want to get behind Trump's policies if only he wouldn't so explicitly spell out the intention behind them. 3 months of him sounding more 'establishment' is plenty of time for voters like that to forget about the last however many years.

You know you're probably right - all the better reason to take my money while the offer's good.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #465
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post

Yeah, but you know the debates are right around the corner, and if anyone can get those intentions out in the open it's Hillary Clinton.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #466
nol
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but you know the debates are right around the corner, and if anyone can get those intentions out in the open it's Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, she'd surely be better at it than one of the 25 Republicans, but the bar is set so low that he could make it through the debates without making some comment about Hillary's appearance or some obvious insinuation that she's a hysterical woman incapable of governing, and it would cause people to say 'hmm, maybe he's turned over a new leaf.' Could be as evasive as he wants in terms of the actual answers he gives. Not likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #467
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I tend to agree with that. I was just answering his specific question.

This is a political thread, Ben. I expect much more anger and belittlement in your response.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #468
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well if you want nice signage, CHRISTie looks good on a sign when trying to appeal to religious voters .

There really isn't ANY situation where Christie looks good.

Not even to his own mother most likely.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #469
Edward64
Head Coach

If it is a terrorist incident in Nice, Trump will have more ammunition.

I agree that there is time for Trump to be more "presidential". Hoping Hillary has some good stuff on him to trickle out for next several months.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #470
ColtCrazy
College Starter

In the past few years I've had to put up with Pence and his outlandishly stupid ideas and comments. He's almost out of touch with reality. He tried to push for state run media till his handlers told him that was a bad idea. He has boasted about having a budget surplus while Indiana roads fall apart and education/health cuts continue. He botched the handling of the RFRA measures here. He turned his back on federal funding for preschools two years ago only to inquire about it this year...an election year. He's a farce. My poor state. Dan Quayle and now him.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #471
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
In the past few years I've had to put up with Pence and his outlandishly stupid ideas and comments. He's almost out of touch with reality. He tried to push for state run media till his handlers told him that was a bad idea. He has boasted about having a budget surplus while Indiana roads fall apart and education/health cuts continue. He botched the handling of the RFRA measures here. He turned his back on federal funding for preschools two years ago only to inquire about it this year...an election year. He's a farce. My poor state. Dan Quayle and now him.

yeah I'm certainly not a fan after his thinly veiled "religious liberty" law fiasco in 2015, which would have allowed people/businesses to discriminate against LGBT people for religious purposes. He finally had to walk it back due to nationwide outcry. Here's a take on him that shows in unflattering terms why he's a perfect pick for Trump's VP:

Vacuous anti-gay coward Mike Pence is a perfect VP pick for Trump.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #472
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

He's also going to get hammered on public health.

He may get the social conservatives to rethink things, but he drives independents further toward Clinton.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #473
Edward64
Head Coach

In a way, I almost prefer Gingrich to be VP candidate. Otherwise he might end up as Homeland Security director.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/politi...iew/index.html
Quote:
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich on Thursday called for the U.S. to test every person with a Muslim background to see if they believe in Sharia law, and deport those who do.

"Let me be as blunt and direct as I can be. Western civilization is in a war. We should frankly test every person here who is of a Muslim background, and if they believe in Sharia, they should be deported," Gingrich said in an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity. "Sharia is incompatible with Western civilization. Modern Muslims who have given up Sharia, glad to have them as citizens. Perfectly happy to have them next door."
:
"How do we ascertain -- how do you possibly ascertain whether or not that person really wants assimilation, really wants a new life, or whether or not they want to expand that caliphate, which is what we're at war against?" Hannity asked.

"The first step is you have to ask them the questions," Gingrich responded. "The second step is you have to monitor what they're doing on the Internet. The third step is, let me be very clear, you have to monitor the mosques. I mean, if you're not prepared to monitor the mosques, this whole thing is a joke. Where do you think the primary source of recruitment is? Where do you think the primary place of indoctrination is? You've got to look at the madrassas -- if you're a school which is teaching Sharia, you want to expel it from the country."

The comments by Gingrich -- who was a finalist to be Donald Trump's running mate before the real estate mogul tapped Indiana Gov. Mike Pence on Thursday -- are similar to ones made by Trump himself last fall, when he called for surveillance of "certain mosques" to counter terrorist threats.
Gingrich also said Thursday that calling Islam a "religion of peace" is "bologna."

"It's not that Islamists are necessarily evil, but they're not necessarily a religion of peace," Gingrich said.

I don't disagree about "is in a war" and monitoring mosques but testing *everyone* of Muslim background doesn't sit well with me. It's not practical and doubtful how effective it will be.

However, it looks as if parents/siblings of people who commit terror get a free pass (e.g. they say very sorry, go into hiding and are not heard from again). In my emotional state right now, I would find that Tunisian guy's family and kick them the hell out of the country.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-15-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #474
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's also going to get hammered on public health.

He may get the social conservatives to rethink things, but he drives independents further toward Clinton.

Exactly. I don't live far from the town that had the massive HIV outbreak. Pence promoted his efforts for the needle exchange program and his reaction to it, but it was the health cuts that put so many in bad shape to begin with.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #475
JPhillips
General Manager

Gingrich's plan only has a few holes, it's unconstitutional, it could be outsmarted by a first grader, and has no explanation as to where we would deport people.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #476
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Gingrich's plan only has a few holes, it's unconstitutional, it could be outsmarted by a first grader, and has no explanation as to where we would deport people.

See the gay marriage thread. Space. Orgies. Two birds. One stone.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #477
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone told Gingrich that deporting US citizens may be a weee bit difficult?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #478
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm not for deportation of anybody convicted of inciting violence. Our hate crime laws sufficiently cover that for US citizens.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #479
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Has anyone told Gingrich that deporting US citizens may be a weee bit difficult?

Yeah, whatever happened to being able to banish people, anyway?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #480
JPhillips
General Manager

GOP policy is too often just a collection of hot takes.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #481
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So Pence is now official.

The favorites for the Democratic VP slot have become (as far as I can tell) Tim Kaine and Tom Vilsack - safe older white guys.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #482
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, whatever happened to being able to banish people, anyway?

I'm pretty sure white people stopped that practice centuries ago.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #483
bhlloy
Coordinator

I do love the simplicity of the Muslim test

Excuse me sir, I'm from the INS. Are you a good muslim or a bad muslim?
Uhhh... a good one?
Thank you, have a nice day!
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #484
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
See the gay marriage thread. Space. Orgies. Two birds. One stone.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #485
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I don't disagree about "is in a war" and monitoring mosques but testing *everyone* of Muslim background doesn't sit well with me. It's not practical and doubtful how effective it will be.

If he wants to deport Muslims over Sharia law, then what about Mormons, Orthodox Jews and Christian Scientists?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #486
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
If he wants to deport Muslims over Sharia law, then what about Mormons, Orthodox Jews and Christian Scientists?

nah, he still needs Ben Carson as his black friend.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #487
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

He's not saying Islam. Islam can be practiced anywhere. But Sharia Law is completely illegal to human and civil rights. if anybody in our country actually were to adhere to it, they would be convicted of a crime. It's completely incompatible with the liberal progressive social and Western society. It cannot be practiced quietly in a mosque. It's brutality and barbarianism from a time past.

I'm not sure why you would defend its use.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #488
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I do love the simplicity of the Muslim test

Excuse me sir, I'm from the INS. Are you a good muslim or a bad muslim?
Uhhh... a good one?
Thank you, have a nice day!

It's the English Inquisition! Eddie Izzard-Cake or Death - YouTube
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #489
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
It's the English Inquisition! Eddie Izzard-Cake or Death - YouTube

Nicely done - my absolute favorite comedy sketch of all time bar none
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #490
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
He's not saying Islam. Islam can be practiced anywhere. But Sharia Law is completely illegal to human and civil rights. if anybody in our country actually were to adhere to it, they would be convicted of a crime. It's completely incompatible with the liberal progressive social and Western society. It cannot be practiced quietly in a mosque. It's brutality and barbarianism from a time past.

I'm not sure why you would defend its use.

Most Muslims believe in, at least, some parts of Sharia. Where do you think the prohibition against eating pork arises from? Sharia is mostly about how to live and keep the purity laws, and partially how to run a county.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #491
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Most Muslims believe in, at least, some parts of Sharia. Where do you think the prohibition against eating pork arises from? Sharia is mostly about how to live and keep the purity laws, and partially how to run a county.

I get it (mostly). I think we also get that the IS has upped their game on adherence. And they expand through communication. And followers can be anywhere. If people want to follow something as closely as the IS is, they aren't welcome here and basically anywhere. Sorry. Freedom of religion cannot mean, I can behave illegally towards accepted American and Western and modern Muslim laws.

We fight here over stuff like "The pledge of allegiance" and "In God we trust". I'm not gonna go backwards and fight over the ability to chop off hands or the ability to dehumanize women or burn opponents alive.

Those Americans will simply have to calm down.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #492
miked
College Starter

LOL, you are talking as if there are places in the US looking to cut off hands and burn women. We already have laws against that, all of which take priority over however you are oddly defining sharia law. Also, the idea that people will be either a) truthful about what they believe and b) can be legally removed without due process as citizens is absurd.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #493
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know there are people who believe that, because of their religion, gays should be put to death. That doesn't mean they are running around killing gay people, though (the most public act they may do is saying it should be the law from the pulpit). That is in no way illegal, while it is backwards.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #494
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap, THIS is the Trump/Pence logo...

Does no one check anything on that campaign?!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #495
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The GOP wants TP for their bunghole?
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #496
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Good article on what Sharia actually is: Nice Attack: Sharia Does Not Mean What Newt Gingrich Thinks It Means - The Atlantic
Old 07-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #497
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

I can just see the new reality show coming from Gingrich's comments: The Muslims Next Door.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #498
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

One of the best points made in that article is that Israel has sharia courts:

http://www.justice.gov.il/En/Units/S...s/default.aspx
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #499
cuervo72
Head Coach

Charleston Gazette-Mail | WV delegate calls for Clinton to be executed

I guess we know this isn't our Pilot.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #500
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Holy crap, THIS is the Trump/Pence logo...

Does no one check anything on that campaign?!

And subject to internet ridicule, the logo is no more, LOL. New one is without the pornographic part.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-16-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote