Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

New York Airport Differences and Possible Trip

I'm going to a wedding at the end of July in Pennsylvania. I'm staying there for a few days, and then contemplating getting a hotel in New York for a few more days to see parts I didn't see on my first trip there.

I saw a couple of threads here that I'll be browsing through:
New York City people - Front Office Football Central

A Little More Rum In the Big Apple in August - Front Office Football Central

However, as I'm looking around for prices for flights right now, I'm looking for a one-way ticket to Philly from Winnipeg, and then one from New York to Winnipeg. I noticed on a site I checked out called redtag.ca, that I got a significantly better deal with a more expensive airline if I picked the Laguardia airport instead of the JFK or JRA.

Is there something I need to know about which airport is best? Is the Laguardia in a bad location, or really crappy or something?

Last edited by MikeVic : 05-07-2010 at 11:03 AM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Laguardia is at least as equally accessible as JFK. Neither is in a particularly good nor bad area. Where are you planning on staying? If you stay in Manhattan, either airport will be a $40 cab ride (one way) or so (including tip).
Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
KWhit
Coordinator

No, LGA is the best/closest airport in NYC. You'll pay a lot less getting a cab to the city too.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If you are looking for a cheaper airfare try Newark. It usually has much better airfare than Philly or either of the New York airports.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
No, LGA is the best/closest airport in NYC. You'll pay a lot less getting a cab to the city too.

I wouldn't say it is "a lot less" to get a cab from LGA - maybe $10 difference max. Also, I don't think there is anything that makes it "better" than JFK other than the fact that it is less about overseas travel, which means they generally have cheaper North American flights.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
If you are looking for a cheaper airfare try Newark. It usually has much better airfare than Philly or either of the New York airports.

Definitely agree with this as something to look into. It really is hardly any more expensive to get a cab to/from Newark.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
bhlloy
Coordinator

I learned the hard way never to fly into Long Island late at night. Middle of nowhere and one train every 50 mins.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
I wouldn't say it is "a lot less" to get a cab from LGA - maybe $10 difference max. Also, I don't think there is anything that makes it "better" than JFK other than the fact that it is less about overseas travel, which means they generally have cheaper North American flights.

Flat fare from JFK is going to be $45, plus tip, you're over $50. You can get to LGA for less than $30.

The cab ride from JFK is punishing. If the fares are even in the same ballpark, I would choose LGA every day of the week.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

The cheaper airport really depends from where you are flying. Flights to JFK from the west coast are almost always 1/3 the price of flights to Newark (maybe due to competition from Jet Blue and Virgin America). There are no non-stop flights to LGA.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

I live on the Upper East Side, so I always go LGA as its a much shorter, cheaper ride into the city with less opportunities to hit traffic. All else being equal, I would tell you to do that. But of course, it all depends...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote