Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Assist with speakers/mic setup.......

I'm looking to purchase a couple of speakers with two wireless microphones for outdoor events. Would also like to have the inputs to attach a MP3 player or cd player. Sound would need to carry 100-150 feet, so it doesn't have to be too powerful. Just looking for something as affordable as I can get.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I have a setup very similar to what you are describing, but affordable isn't a feature I have....frankly I blew too much money on my set-up but it rocks.

For large tower speakers Yamaha do very well.
Stay away from the Fender "all in one sets..they suck(this is th del where two speakers clip to a vertical mixing board/input wagon and storage boxes for mics cords are the whole bottom.

I bought that fist and after our first summer company outing, I literally threw the whole thing in a dumpster out of embarrassment it sucked so hard.

musicians friend is a good source for used equip
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I have a setup very similar to what you are describing, but affordable isn't a feature I have....frankly I blew too much money on my set-up but it rocks.

For large tower speakers Yamaha do very well.
Stay away from the Fender "all in one sets..they suck(this is th del where two speakers clip to a vertical mixing board/input wagon and storage boxes for mics cords are the whole bottom.

I bought that fist and after our first summer company outing, I literally threw the whole thing in a dumpster out of embarrassment it sucked so hard.

musicians friend is a good source for used equip

Yeah, I understand that I'm not going to be able to find a $200 setup. I should have probably said affordable, relatively speaking.

I'll check out that Musician's Friend site. Might be a good option.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-13-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How are you going to use the system? What's your hoped for budget?

At a minimum you're going to need some sort of mixer and cable as well. I'd also buy a small rack so you aren't carrying things piece by piece. You could put the mixer, cd player and mic receivers all in one box that way.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How are you going to use the system? What's your hoped for budget?

At a minimum you're going to need some sort of mixer and cable as well. I'd also buy a small rack so you aren't carrying things piece by piece. You could put the mixer, cd player and mic receivers all in one box that way.

It will be used for outdoor weddings and probably used as an outdoor PA for events and gatherings. So I'd prefer something that can be moved pretty easily before and after the ceremonies.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Take a look at the Shure PG58 mics. They're good all around mics and should be pretty rugged. You may spend a little more, but if you buy shitty wireless mics you'll wish you spent a bit more soon.

I'm generally not a fan of powered speakers, but that probably comes from me doing most of my sound work fifteen years ago. Powered speakers would probably be easier for you and quality has improved a lot.

If it's a choice, buy a little more than you need. Don't go crazy and buy a 48 channel mixer, but having a bit of spare capacity will likely be beneficial sooner rather than later.

I'd also at least look at local stores with good reputations. You are likely to need rental equipment from time to time if your business takes off and having a solid relationship with a local dealer will be important. Check prices and get advice, and if you can't get a good deal do it yourself.