Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #51
Peregrine
Pro Starter

From what I've heard the higher levels are definitely centered around PVP, but maybe not in the way that you think. You can make a PVP character from the get-go who is a max level character, and I think those are the ones that do most of the competition PVP. Interestingly, they can only use skills you've found/unlocked with your regular characters, giving you an incentive to dabble a bit, I guess. I don't know much of the details of PVP, however, but I think it's going to play a big part. A lot of the guilds are looking forward to forming teams to compete against each other, I think there are tournaments with various prizes available.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #52
Yellow5
High School Varsity

If anyone needs something better than starter weapons please let me know.

War Hammer of Fortitude: Blunt dmg 11-17 (req. 3 in Hammer spec), +20 to health, +25 dmg against Charr.

War Hammer: Blunt Dmg 11-17 (req. 3 in Hammer spec), +15 dmg when hexed.

A cane that does 6-10 Chaos Dmg req. 2 in Illusion Magic to use. (This has been claimed)

Will give these away to anyone that needs 'em.

edit: Cane is taken!

Last edited by Yellow5 : 05-04-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #53
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how is guild wars compare to Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Seige, and Diablo 2?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #54
Thomkal
Head Coach

About the servers and not being able to play with people outside your country. That is not true. There is a North American, Korean, and European server true. But each city/outpost has an International District(s) where you can get together with people from any country.

The game is called Guild Wars, with a guild meaning a group of people working together, so of course there's a lot of focus on the group/PVP play. But so far as I've gone you can solo, especially if you take some henchmans along with you. The game has some odd design decisions (see my earlier post) in my opinion, and needs some work with the interface to make it more group friendly (share quests, or at least show quests your groupmates are working on), but for a MMORPG with no monthly fee, I was expecting a lot worse than what we have. And it doesn't have near the connection problems (well outside whatever the hell is wrong with my computer) that WOW has.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #55
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm still enjoying the game, but some of the interface decisions are starting to bug me. Is there any way I can see my current total armor rating? What's the deal with the little blue person and a number over people's heads in the hubs? Are they trying to form a group? If so how do you trigger that? Is there any way to see other people's equipment, etc?

I tried to do the necromancer profession test today and couldn't figure it out at all, there are all these traps you have to get rid of, and somehow you need to use your pets, but I couldn't figure it out. I asked several necros that I saw how they did it, all of them said they just ran into a trap, died, came back, ran into the next one, etc. Heh, good design on that one.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #56
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I don't think you can see your total armor rating. The little person and number means there is a group and the number is the number of people in that group. No way to see other peoples equipment that I am aware of.

For the Necro thing and the traps... I've never played one but I would summon a pet and run it into the traps to trigger them.

I still have the hammers listed above available if anyone wants them.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 05-04-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #57
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well the problem with Necro pets is that they aren't really controllable, they just follow you around and attack what you attack, but I couldn't figure out a way to make them go into the traps. Oh well, not a big deal.

By the way, I found out that R is the default auto-run key. I had been trying to figure that one out for a while. Also you can follow a party member by clicking on their name and hitting space, it will follow them till they stop.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 AM   #58
gi
College Prospect

Gamespot has this game at 9.2

hxxp://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/review.html

I'll pick this up soon. CoH might be cancelled if everyone is playing here.

Last edited by gi : 05-05-2005 at 09:23 AM.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 AM   #59
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

My thoughts thus far are that it is a nice "filler" game where you can spend 30 minutes and log without feeling like you've missed anything.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #60
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
My thoughts thus far are that it is a nice "filler" game where you can spend 30 minutes and log without feeling like you've missed anything.
I agree. Due to taking daughter to karate and Lost being on last night, I had very little time to play anything. I played CoH instead of GW due to Issue 4 coming out. This is a good game, and reminds me a little bit of Dungeon Siege.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #61
jbmagic
Pro Starter

can this game be play offline too? and play solo?

i know online is better. just curious if it can be play offline too.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #62
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's all online.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 05-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #63
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I'm still enjoying the game, but some of the interface decisions are starting to bug me. Is there any way I can see my current total armor rating? What's the deal with the little blue person and a number over people's heads in the hubs? Are they trying to form a group? If so how do you trigger that? Is there any way to see other people's equipment, etc?

I tried to do the necromancer profession test today and couldn't figure it out at all, there are all these traps you have to get rid of, and somehow you need to use your pets, but I couldn't figure it out. I asked several necros that I saw how they did it, all of them said they just ran into a trap, died, came back, ran into the next one, etc. Heh, good design on that one.

There are corpses laying on the traps or on the other side. You basically get close enough to summon bone horrors from those devourer corpses and they will trigger the traps on summon or when they try to make track to you.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #64
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I agree. Due to taking daughter to karate and Lost being on last night, I had very little time to play anything. I played CoH instead of GW due to Issue 4 coming out. This is a good game, and reminds me a little bit of Dungeon Siege.

is this game better than Dungeon Seige?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #65
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm undecided at this point whether it's better than Dungeon Siege (which was a very good game, IMHO). The graphics are definitely better.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #66
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are corpses laying on the traps or on the other side. You basically get close enough to summon bone horrors from those devourer corpses and they will trigger the traps on summon or when they try to make track to you.

I tried this and it definitely did not work. Some of the horrors spawned right in the trap and never triggered it. Unless I have to do something special like click on it as they walked through it?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #67
Bonegavel

I really hope they exploit this streaming tech to its fullest.

Daily (at the least weekly) they should be pushing out new quests, new NPCs, new loot, new spawns, updated terrain, new buildings, etc. etc.

That is what I wish CoH was doing. Instead, we get (roughly) quarterly Updates called Issues that contain new material.

Anyone want to start up an MMO with me as lead designer? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #68
NevStar
High School Varsity

Marek Thorgaard W/Mo

Probably going to do the Academy later today. Good call on the comparison to Dungeon Siege, I see that too.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #69
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So the question is...who's going to start the FOFC guild???
Old 05-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #70
Calis
College Starter

So is this game more akin to say Diablo or more like a traditional MMORPG?

If it's the former I'd go pick it up right now, but for the latter...I'm sick and tired of MMORPGs.

So is the combat involved and fun?

The comparisons to Dungeon Siege worry me a little bit actually. Dungeon Siege was a horribly linear game with a very bland character advancement system. Just didn't work for me.

So what's the verdict?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #71
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I'll wait till the Dungeons & Dragons game to come out before deciding.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #72
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
I'll wait till the Dungeons & Dragons game to come out before deciding.

Guild wars is free to play online

D&D you have to pay to play online
Old 05-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #73
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Guild wars is free to play online

D&D you have to pay to play online

Doesn't matter to me if D & D is a quality game. Frankly, GW is losing my interest already. I still love WOW after all this time, and I'm starting to get into CoH (after being bored to death at first).
Old 05-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #74
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
So the question is...who's going to start the FOFC guild???

Everyone is welcome to join Legion of Lions.

We've been involved as a group since the Unreal Tournament days, into Dark Age of Camelot, then World of Warcraft and now GW. Only three of us have made the jump to GW but I expect more to follow.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #75
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I just bought the game and started a Ranger/Mesmer - name is Nolan Ramez (lvl 6)

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #76
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone still playing this? Just recently purchased this and started playing. Is there a FOFC guild somewhere?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #77
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's a decent game, but I lost interest pretty fast, the team PVP stuff is pretty fun but I've moved back to my regular MMORPGs now, that's what I really prefer. Not sure about the FOFC guild.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #78
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm still playing here and there - having fun with it but due to nice summer days it's hard to sit inside and play.

In game name is Nolan Ramez - lvl 14 Ranger/Mez

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #79
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
It's a decent game, but I lost interest pretty fast, the team PVP stuff is pretty fun but I've moved back to my regular MMORPGs now, that's what I really prefer. Not sure about the FOFC guild.

I probably see this happening with me. Very hack n' slash... I'm not sure of the whole crafting thing either. Always find alot of crap but, not sure what the hell to do with it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #80
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Anyone still playing this? I just went out and got it...
Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #81
Bee
Pro Starter

bumping from the depths in hopes someone will comment on the current status of the game. Is it worth adding to my Christmas wishlist? I'm pretty thin on the wishlist in the $40 price range and have been asked by some relatives to add some stuff.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #82
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
bumping from the depths in hopes someone will comment on the current status of the game. Is it worth adding to my Christmas wishlist? I'm pretty thin on the wishlist in the $40 price range and have been asked by some relatives to add some stuff.

I have friends who still play religiuosly. I am talking Evercrack level of devotion. But to me, there is just not enough depth there. It just all depends on you. The only great thing I can say about it is that there is no monthly fee, and they have even expanded a bit since starting and didn't charge people.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:00 PM   #83
mtsouth
n00b

Curious about the game as well. I couldn't continue to pay $15 for CoH and play only a few hours a week (wife/kids/job). Is GW an easy game to get into and spend an hour or so and still feel like you are making some progress?
mtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #84
RebelMan
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsouth
Curious about the game as well. I couldn't continue to pay $15 for CoH and play only a few hours a week (wife/kids/job). Is GW an easy game to get into and spend an hour or so and still feel like you are making some progress?

Yes, you'll level up pretty quickly. Most of the game primarily relies on doing quests and missions that are pretty straightforward and relatively easy for the most part. It's not like Final Fantasy XI where you spend months of fighting monsters over and over and over just to level up. In fact, you'll be at level 20 (the max level cap) by halfway through the game if you "prioritize" certain quests and missions.

That and I like that it has a henchman system. I've gone through most of the missions and quests with henchmen since they're a bit more competent than some of the pick up groups I've been a part of. Of course, my char is a Mesmer, so I'm not really left with much choice.
RebelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #85
Bonegavel

Quote:

If you are used to CoH, you will probably hate GW. They stole $50 from me and I want it back.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:04 AM   #86
mtsouth
n00b

WHy do you say that Bonegavel? What don't you like about it?

COH just became too time consuming and I couldn't justify the $15 a month. I'd like a game I can jump into for 30-45 minutes at a time, play, and then jump out and still feel like I'm making progress.
mtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #87
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

COH just became too time consuming and I couldn't justify the $15 a month. I'd like a game I can jump into for 30-45 minutes at a time, play, and then jump out and still feel like I'm making progress.

Then GW is a game you'll get more out of than COH. It is much easier to play shorter stints in it than COH. The biggest concern would be that it does get hard to keep moving forward in the story without teaming (you can hire NPC that help, but it still much more difficult than it is with human players helping).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #88
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, I just got this game.. even though Oblivion is out on Tuesday, and I'm picking it up THAT DAY (I'll play Guild Wars at some point in the middle, I'm sure!)

So far it's a blast. I haven't done any co-op adventures yet. Just single player stuff to try to build up my character.

I'm a 4th level female warrior/elemental named Kat Stormfrost (yeah, I know... but I didn't know of a good name... though think of Kat as short for "Katrina", as hurricane ).

So I'm having fun. I know soon I'll have to join with another player, but not yet.

Oh, and the graphics are TOP NOTCH... I have all the graphics on high, 1280*1024, with 4X anti-alising. Brilliant. I think I may read up on fansites about the game and then put in some good time tomorrow .

Any suggestions, btw?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #89
sabotai
General Manager

The game not charging a monthly fee keeps it on my radar, but other games keep coming out...some day.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #90
Bonegavel

Quote:

Hard to say, really. I guess I was hoping for more of a multi-player Baldur's Gate type of experience and that wasn't what I found.

If other's here are playing this I might fire it back up and do some team work.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #91
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I fired it back up today. I'm Alys Fairchild, level 4 Elementalist. Fire is cool.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #92
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Any1 playing the new installment "Nightfall" of GW? I bought it over the weekend but haven't played to much of it...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 12-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #93
twothree
College Prospect

I've been playing this quite a bit lately in spurts, after having picked it up when it was first released. I finally completed the original guild wars campaign a few months ago with a warrior, "The Brute". That led to my purchase of all the other campaigns. And, I quickly completed the main story line in the Eye of the North campaign with that same warrior with the addition of heroes. Heroes really make a big difference in how you can play the game, and now I wish I had picked up Nightfall when it first came out. And, Eye of the North is a really nice expansion. It is too bad they moved on to Guild Wars 2, because another expansion similar to Eye of the North would have got more of my money. I don't think I will be in a rush to buy Guild Wars 2, because there is still so much I haven't done in Guild Wars.

I haven't played very much of Factions or Nightfall yet. However, I have gotten a ritualist to level 20 in Factions, my only other 20th level character. And, she has only explored the initial island and just a bit of the main land. Also, my warrior has explored Nightfall to acquire some more heroes.

I have one character for each of the ten classes each at various levels. All of them are RPG characters. I really don't care for the PvP in game, except for the rollerbeattle racing during the 4th of July weekend. Snowball fights during wintertime are also OK to do for awhile. PvP is really not my game since I don't use very good builds, that's why the holiday PvP with their set builds work better for me.

Having gotten the other campaigns, I now have several options available in where and what to do in the game. And, I am finding this pulling me back to the game more than when I only had the original Guild Wars and it's story and quests available to me. I even, finally!, got around to getting my remaining 3 original characters and their birthday minipets out of pre-searing Ascalon and into the main storyline.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #94
Critch
lolzcat

Are there any free trial offers for this game? I quit WoW cos I wanted the $14 a month for Setanta Broadband, so the no monthly fees is appealing. But I'm too much of a cheapskate to just go and buy without trying.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #95
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oops... misread!

But here:
http://www.guildwars.com/support/gwtrial.php

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-23-2007 at 03:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #96
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Yeah, found that but it needs a trial key. Unfortunately I'd downloaded before realizing.

No problem, I've found a Tabula Rasa trial so that will keep me happy.

Last edited by Critch : 12-23-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #97
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Huh... missed the trial key thing. Wonder where that comes from?

I have Guild Wars (the first one), so I wonder if I have one in my game box?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #98
Blade6119
Coordinator

My buddy and i co-oped the first game, using NPCs for our extras when the mission required 4, and had a blast. He went out and bought nightfall ect, and i didnt

I still boot it up from time to time, it was a pretty good game from ex-blizzard guys and the free play time was the big draw for me.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #99
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have Guild Wars (the first one), so I wonder if I have one in my game box?

Well if somebody did have a trial key in their box that they were not planning on using, I would be very grateful if it was PMed to me

Last edited by Critch : 12-23-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #100
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Well if somebody did have a trial key in their box that they were not planning on using, I would be very grateful if it was PMed to me

My nightfall campaign had two unused trial keys. One for the original campaign and factions. And one for nightfall. I have sent you both via PM.

Have fun.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote