Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

SWAT raid on Missouri family

i don't know what to say. but the sound of that dog hurts my soul.

source

NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Um, you might want to warn people if animals are being killed in that video.

I didn't actually watch but read the story earlier today.

edit: I guess it does say "Cop shoots Pet" in the title.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-06-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I can't watch the video, but my guess it was officials from the Big Ten doing due diligence?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

Umm...ok, nevermind.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is the natural and inevitable consequence of our "tough on crime" and "war on drugs" policies and rhetoric.

If just 5% of the "get government off our backs" crowd that is all in vogue right now could turn its focus away from slight changes to marginal tax rates and toward armed government agents storming homes with no regard for civil liberties, it would be a really, really good thing.

I believe that our country has gone so far down the road of exchanging liberty for the illusion of security that things like this will be really really hard to undo. And that really, really, really fucking sucks. Maybe one of the worst things about living in America now as opposed to at another time in history.

And, with that, I'm leaving this thread. Civil liberties mean a lot to me, and there is no way that I could stand reading FOFC's take on this without getting legit pissed at some of you.

So I'll go find some thread about boobs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I just read about this case yesterday. What a mess. They charge into the guy's house while the mother and daughter are home. They then shoot the dog while in SWAT gear with the child still in the house. They do all of this hoping to prove the guy is distributing marijuana. Instead they find enough for an individual to use and that's it. A SWAT raid for a guy using marijuana? And what makes this worse is that they now want to get the mom and dad for child endangerment. Which is more dangerous? Mom and dad with marijuana or the SWAT coming in armed and shooting the family dog? Just nuts.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Is there a news story associated with this?

I wonder if there are any legal issues with killing that poor dog.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hard for me to get upset with cops encountering a pit bull while conducting a drug raid & taking it down. Pity they didn't take out the suspect as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
And, with that, I'm leaving this thread. Civil liberties mean a lot to me, and there is no way that I could stand reading FOFC's take on this without getting legit pissed at some of you.

I find myself agreeing with this viewpoint more and more. Yay boobs!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Nevermind - I should have just waited for the replies.

I am with albion on this one.

Disgusting.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ironically, if word got out that there was a thread about boobies here, we'd likely see the FOFC SWAT team shoot all of our dogs in an attempt to shut it down.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This is the natural and inevitable consequence of our "tough on crime" and "war on drugs" policies and rhetoric.

If just 5% of the "get government off our backs" crowd that is all in vogue right now could turn its focus away from slight changes to marginal tax rates and toward armed government agents storming homes with no regard for civil liberties, it would be a really, really good thing.

I believe that our country has gone so far down the road of exchanging liberty for the illusion of security that things like this will be really really hard to undo. And that really, really, really fucking sucks. Maybe one of the worst things about living in America now as opposed to at another time in history.

great post
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hard for me to get upset with cops encountering a pit bull while conducting a drug raid & taking it down. Pity they didn't take out the suspect as well.

The only problem I have with that is they were in SWAT uniforms which included kevlar. I don't know how much damage a pitbull is going to do to an officer in that gear.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

GOOD THING THEY SHOT THE FEROCIOUS CORGI, TOO!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I don't know how much damage a pitbull is going to do to an officer in that gear.

You don't know ... but there's no good reason for them to have to find out either.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

you're right. they should have 'cleansed' the whole community with fire. why take chances that their degenerate seed might contaminate future generations.

goddamn hippies.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You don't know ... but there's no good reason for them to have to find out either.

Subby is right. I had heard there was a corgi that was shot as well, but I wasn't certain if that was true or not. If so then would you be more concerned or still have the same answer?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

They should have shot the kid as well, if he bites it could lead to an infection...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
They should have shot the kid as well, if he bites it could lead to an infection...

Zombie apocalypse?!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Here Video of SWAT Raid on Missouri Family - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine and then it links to others as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Drug raid inquiry is ongoing | ColumbiaTribune.com
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I find myself agreeing with this viewpoint more and more. Yay boobs!

See the thread I just created. Although it's SFW.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
Masked
College Starter

Seems like a case where no one was right - the parents had illegal drugs in the house and the police appeared to grossly overreact; however, we don't know what information the police were acting on (other than it was wrong), so it's hard to say how bad their response was (for example, did they have solid evidence that the suspects were heavily armed). Their actions, while wrong in the end, may have been justifiable. The only thing we know for sure is that there were illegal drugs in the house. There is no justification for having drugs in a house with a 7 year old kid.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Subby is right. I had heard there was a corgi that was shot as well, but I wasn't certain if that was true or not. If so then would you be more concerned or still have the same answer?

Is the dog sitting in the corner or acting in a threatening manner in the process of the arrest?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Is the dog sitting in the corner or acting in a threatening manner in the process of the arrest?

The corgi was probably angry as hell.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

The dog doesn't know what the hell is going on, just that scary looking people are walking through their house. Ultimately it's the idiot that got his ass arrested fault, but they should have made more attempt to not shoot the dogs.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

is it sop to tape these things? wouldn't this be a tape the pd accidently 'misplaces'?

-what should i do with the tape chief?

-uhh, why don't you give it to a liberal media blog then file it under 'moral outrage'
Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

FWIW reason.com is far from a liberal media blog.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, c'mon guys, screw that dog. It clearly should have been literate enough to read SWAT on the uniforms to determine that these were officers of the law and not armed intruders. It's his problem for being ignorant and illiterate.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
Tigercat
College Starter

You do not SWAT raid a family home over pot, unless you are 100% sure the house is growing it or storing mass quantities.

Would a SWAT team night raid a family home, guns blazing, of a white collar guy who is suspected of heavy corruption? Just on the off chance of finding felony evidence? I don't smoke pot, never will, but some police offices need to get a grip on the current social seriousness threat that pot places on the American public. The answer? Low threat. Not SWAT team worthy unless a sure thing and no risk to family members. That should be god damn obvious.

Last edited by Tigercat : 05-06-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ultimately it's the idiot that got his ass arrested fault

This.

And this is what matters, not some fucking pit bull & some fucking piece of shit pothead.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #32
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
FWIW reason.com is far from a liberal media blog.
all media is liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
goddamn hippies.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
This.

And this is what matters, not some fucking pit bull & some fucking piece of shit pothead.

Yes, because pot is so bad...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
You do not SWAT raid a family home over pot, unless you are 100% sure the house is growing it or storing mass quantities.

They were sure enough to satisfy a judge & get a warrant, so what level of proof would satisfy you? Or how many dead cops does it take before you can use SWAT?

Sorry, but I've mourned the death of too many officers I knew who found themselves in a situation where the manpower was insufficient for the situation to ever worry for a second about who/what they send to get the job done.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, because pot is so bad...

I'd like nothing more than to see these fucking criminals executed on their second possession arrest. They're less than vermin afaic & I've got no real use for those who try to excuse their behavior either.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #36
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

Would a SWAT team night raid a family home, guns blazing, of a white collar guy who is suspected of heavy corruption? Just on the off chance of finding felony evidence? I don't smoke pot, never will, but some police offices need to get a grip on the current social seriousness threat that pot places on the American public. The answer? Low threat. Not SWAT team worthy unless a sure thing and no risk to family members. That should be god damn obvious.

Information is rarely 100% accurate - the police must make the best decision given the information they have. We don't know what evidence they were acting on other then they had reason to believe there was a large amount of drugs (which was wrong). The outcome doesn't mean their decision was wrong, just the information they were acting on was bad. We don't know enough to judge yet.

Your second point should really be directed to the lawmakers rather than the police. The police's job is to enforce the law, and the law basically says that drug users are serious criminals who must be stopped at all cost.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Yup, pot is evil, but instead try these fine pain relievers from Johnson & Johnson!

Or a couple shots of Jack Daniel's...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
They were sure enough to satisfy a judge & get a warrant, so what level of proof would satisfy you? Or how many dead cops does it take before you can use SWAT?

Sorry, but I've mourned the death of too many officers I knew who found themselves in a situation where the manpower was insufficient for the situation to ever worry for a second about who/what they send to get the job done.

I'm not even blaming the cops on the scene for what they did in this one, it's a fucking SWAT team afterall. They aren't put together for pleasantries. I blame the judge, and yes there are plenty of idiot judges, and the higher ups in the police department that OKed a SWAT raid on a family house when obviously it wasn't a good bet there would be a large quantity of pot there.

But there HAS to be a line. You don't send a SWAT team for every warrant, that is obvious. And you shouldn't have a warrant when you can't find close to dealer level amounts of pot in a house.

(Even enough to deal "some" pot shouldn't be SWAT raided in this situation, catch him on the street or while dealing in the house, but there wasn't even enough in the house for that apparently.)
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #39
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i never realized how awesomely vigilant jimg was.

go hug a leaky oil well ya sissy liberal fruits.

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 05-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'd like nothing more than to see these fucking criminals executed on their second possession arrest. They're less than vermin afaic & I've got no real use for those who try to excuse their behavior either.

Man, this post is gonna seem funny in 5 years, when Jim is hauled away to jail for stockpiling black market Pall Malls.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

If you are storming a house with a group of heavily armed men in kevlar suits and have to shoot a Corgi to protect yourself. Aren't you sort of admitting to being a raging pussy? I understand that bad things can happen in SWAT raids, but do you guys really want someone who is that afraid handling a heavy firearm in your community?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If you are storming a house with a group of heavily armed men in kevlar suits and have to shoot a Corgi to protect yourself. Aren't you sort of admitting to being a raging pussy? I understand that bad things can happen in SWAT raids, but do you guys really want someone who is that afraid handling a heavy firearm in your community?

I agree, if their procedure encourages that level of assessment of dogs. Given what SWAT teams do, however, they may be taught simply "the dog advances on you, shoot him." Which is understandable given the normal types of situations SWAT teams are put in. All the more reason they shouldn't have been near a house like this.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #43
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Is everyone just assuming they individually shot the Corgi? Is it possible that when they shot at the pitbull, the Corgi was hit by a stray bullet?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #44
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

U.S. Government Declares Country's Marijuana Users Responsible for Fueling Mexican Cartel Violence (Latina Lista)

Quote:
In a market analysis of how much revenue Mexican drug trafficking organizations earned in 2004-2005 from selling various drugs to U.S. users, it was found that marijuana netted the most money — and we're not talking pesos here.
Mexican drug cartels grossed $8.6 billion with marijuana sales alone. The next highest drug-in-demand is cocaine which netted $3.9 billion.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Aren't you sort of admitting to being a raging pussy?

I'm not going to get involved with the why's and if's as to whether this house should have been raided and whether some judgment calls might have been overdone once in there. But I don't think there's any place to call someone on a SWAT team a 'raging pussy'. These guys risk their lives on a daily basis not having any idea what is on the other side of a door/wall when they go in. They are some brave dudes.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
DanGarion
Coordinator

Great reason to make it legal and allow legal taxation upon the crops and sale of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #47
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
In a market analysis of how much revenue Mexican drug trafficking organizations earned in 2004-2005 from selling various drugs to U.S. users, it was found that marijuana netted the most money — and we're not talking pesos here.
Mexican drug cartels grossed $8.6 billion with marijuana sales alone. The next highest drug-in-demand is cocaine which netted $3.9 billion.

As an aside: how the hell do they get those numbers? A "market analysis" of Mexican drug cartels and millions of individual American users? Color me skeptical times a million.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #48
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm not going to get involved with the why's and if's as to whether this house should have been raided and whether some judgment calls might have been overdone once in there. But I don't think there's any place to call someone on a SWAT team a 'raging pussy'. These guys risk their lives on a daily basis not having any idea what is on the other side of a door/wall when they go in. They are some brave dudes.
If you feel this is a threat to you, then yes, you are a raging pussy.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #49
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Is everyone just assuming they individually shot the Corgi? Is it possible that when they shot at the pitbull, the Corgi was hit by a stray bullet?
Pretty sure there was a time lapse between the time they shot each dog.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #50
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
I guess that would be all the more reason to be upset at the situation. Firing weapons in close quarters have risks and a stray bullet could have hit the kid too.