Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

My Son's Navy thread

As I type this it is less than 48 hours until my second oldest son Tony leaves for the Navy. I knew when he told me he had enlisted 6 Months ago it would be tough when this day came, but I never thought it would turn out to be as hard as it has been. I know in the grand scheme of things the Navy is one of the “safer” options in terms of Military service right now, and I also acknowledge and appreciate that I am blessed as there are many, including some on this board, going through much worse than I am right now. Still, the separation anxiety I am feeling these last couple of weeks is almost overwhelming at times…In fact, I wish I could be as strong as he seems to be right now

Let me tell you all a little about Tony, if you don’t mind. He is 20, has a great sense of humor, (Does a killer “John Madden on Brett Favre’s jock” impersonation) and a very kind heart (though as a cancer he can be a little moody at times) always willing to give to those around him. He is well rounded, a great student, involved in Athletics his whole life and also holds a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. In the latter pursuit he has devoted countless hours to teaching and mentoring Children free of charge, as Martial arts is a great love of his. He also studies Brazilian Ju Jitsu and is always willing to demonstrate a new move or technique on Dad, LOL. I love him, as I do all my children deeply and am extremely proud of the young Man he has become.

He enlisted as a Military Policeman, but will also be taking classes in criminology and law and will eventually decide between a Criminal justice degree or attending Law school when his enlistment is up. His path will most likely keep him Stateside, or at least assigned to a Base, but I know there is no guarantee and I also know it would not bother him one bit to be deployed to an unsafe area if the need arose, though I hope it never does. I have always marveled at the courage it takes to serve in the military at a time like this and of course now have that same respect for my Son. I know many on this board (including me) have served, or are currently serving their country and I know the support of those in our Military has always been strong on this board. Because of this I would like to ask for a positive thought or a prayer, for not only my son, but the thousands of other Sons, Daughters, Husbands, Wives, Brothers and Sisters currently serving our Country, that they all get home safely to those that care about them!…..I have all the faith in the World his stint will go by quickly and safely, and as I re-read this I think I sound a little overly dramatic, but if so, oh well, I love my Boy that much!

P.S. I guess as long as I am on the subject, I will share a story about Tony when he was younger. As a few of you know I have Coached Football from youth to the High School level for going on 20 years, so it has always been a big part of our Family. My oldest Son Matt started playing when he was 9 and Tony (6 at the time) was still too young. He did start playing Baseball at 6, but there was nothing he wanted more than to strap on the Pads. He was like the Coaches Daughter in “Remember the Titans” when attending the games I coached or his Brothers games. In fact, he often went to his Big brothers practices and he would go through the same drills and conditioning as the Team, off to the side of the practice Field.

Well as the next two years passed his favorite mantra became, “Dad, how long until I can play Football” I would tell him “When you are 8 son” and he would usually end the conversation with a reference to how he couldn’t wait. The spring before he turned 8 he drove me crazy with “How long is it until Football starts now Dad?” Well, as Baseball Season wore down and his 8th Birthday approached he asked almost Daily…”Dad, how long until Football starts?” It was seriously amusing, but it did drive me a little cuckoo on occasion.

Football sign-ups finally came and we got him and his Brother signed up. We picked up their pads a couple weeks later just before practice was set to start, and by then his “How long until Football Starts” chant was repeated 2-3 times a day on occasion. He was so stoked, that when we got home, I let him and his Brother put the Uniforms on and Tony soon had me talked into letting Him and Matt “Tackle each other just once”….I told him I would let them as long as he quit asking “How long until Football starts” which he promised he would do.

So they get suited up, Tony even finds a Doo Rag somewhere and puts it on with his sweatbands from Baseball, totally “looking the part!” We go out in the Backyard and I give Tony the ball and set up a couple of cones. Matt (who is now 11 mind you) lines up about 7 yards away and assumes a nice two point stance. Tony is now grinning from Ear to Ear, talking about how he is going to score, then do a Touchdown dance etc, etc. I say hit and Tony starts toward the cones…….Matt comes screaming up, fits Tony up perfectly and absolutely levels him!!!! I swear the sound of the impact echoed for a couple of seconds, it was absolutely violent!! Matt gets up grinning, and though it was funny, I admonish him a little for going so hard on someone three years younger. I check on Tony and he is just laying there with a dazed look in his Eyes, Face a little pale. I ask him if he is OK and he looks at me and says “Dad……how long until Baseball starts?”

I still laugh at that vision and I guess the real reason I typed it here is that I need to smile right now……Thanks for listening.

Lee

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-06-2007 at 09:34 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Great story about your son. Good luck to you and your family. I joined the Army when we were at peace. I never thought I'd go to war, but I did. Sometimes I wonder if I would join again knowing what I know now. I share that with you because to me, the sons and daughters that are joining the military today are a lot braver than "my" generation that joined. They're joining in a time of war and in a time where there's an extremely good chance they will be deployed. Thank you for supporting your son, and thanks to your son for serving our country.

There are also some good resources at this website:

http://www.militaryonesource.com/
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Great story, BYU!
I don't know what to say about your son, other than that I'll be thinking good thoughts for him for a safe return home.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great story about your son. I pray that all of our troops remain safe and I'll be thinking of your son when I do so tonight and in the near future.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Great story indeed. I remember the look on my parents faces when I borded that plane to San Diego when I joined the Marines in 1989.

I also remember the look on their faces on graduation day.

Good luck to your son and may he be safe.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I hear people in the navy have lots of gay sex.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

lol

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

So that's why he decided against the other 3 branches!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Great story, BYU.

Just curious, aside from the gay sex ( ), was he swayed to the Navy by their new recruiting slogan:

"Iraq, Almost Totally Landlocked"

Good luck to him in his military endeavors.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-07-2007 at 08:12 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Great story, BYU.

Just curious, aside from the gay sex ( ), was he swayed to the Navy by their new recruiting slogan:

"Iraq, Almost Totally Landlocked"

Good luck to him in his military endeavors.

LOL, he actually said the recruiter mentioned there was not much need for Naval intervention in Iraq.

Thank you for the kind words all, I felt a lot better after I typed this
Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That is a great great story. Thank you so much for sharing. Rest a little easier knowing, that - even if he may not have the best skills to do something - he's got an uncanny knack for self-assessment.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family, and I can't wait until you can pass on the happy news that you boy i s back home safe and sound.

He'll make you proud.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just received a call from my Son, because of the BCS Championship game, the Airlines are apparently overbooked tomorrow, so they are making him leave today, as in picking him up in 45 Minutes...So, instead of a nice Family Dinner this evening, we are scrambling now to race to the MEPS station to get some time with him before he ships out..........This sucks, but it's nice to see not much has changed with the Military since I got out..
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'd say this is a testament to the job that you have done as a father.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks to your son for his service.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Now the main question is..Does he root for the blue like you? It's important...

But my prayers are out to you and your family.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

BYU, I'd be concerned about the "MP" story. Sailors normally have to "strike" for MA, master at arms, the Navy's version of MP. By that, I mean, usually they're undesignated seamen who spend some time at sea doing the grunt of grunt work before being eligible to take the MA 3rd class exam. Those that are advanced to E4 at that point are allowed to become MAs. Those that don't advance, well, they spend another six months doing the suck until the next exam.

Just something I would be weary about. I wish you would have got a hold of me.

Also, with Iraq, be advised your son in law has a better than average shot of going there before his enlistment is up as a MA (better than average being if he goes to shore duty as a MA he will likely deploy to Iraq, Afghan, or Djibouti).

If you would like more information, feel free to contact me via PM. We could carry this conversation on from there or by whatever means you wish.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

I wasn't going to say anything, but ardent is right. MP types will definitely end up in Iraq. It may not be too late for him to change his specialty.

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #18
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It shouldn't be. He'll have a day where they assign the orders, if he's interested in switching and can convince the personnelman, he could possibly switch out.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
It shouldn't be. He'll have a day where they assign the orders, if he's interested in switching and can convince the personnelman, he could possibly switch out.

We talked some about reclassification, as his ASVAB scores were very good......I sent you a PM Ardent.............Thank you for the information.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I must apologize, I spoke to my chief about this and he told me the Navy does accept E-3 and below in the MA rating now due to manning requirements.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #21
Antmeister
Pro Starter

BYU14, you are truly a good storyteller. That was a good read and I hope that I will still have those memories of my children as they grow older. I usually forget things that happened two weeks ago. With stories like this, your son is probably fully aware of how much you care for him. Hope he continues to have a good career so that you can have other stories to tell in the future.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #22
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I must apologize, I spoke to my chief about this and he told me the Navy does accept E-3 and below in the MA rating now due to manning requirements.

Nevertheless, it should be known that MA/MPs (of all branches) are sort of like a subset of infantry, and are FREQUENTLY tasked to support ground manoeuvres in whichever hot spot ground forces are needed.

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'll buy that for a dollar. In Africa even I was referred to as a "warm body" a few times.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Nevertheless, it should be known that MA/MPs (of all branches) are sort of like a subset of infantry, and are FREQUENTLY tasked to support ground manoeuvres in whichever hot spot ground forces are needed.

I would definitely vote for reclassification if he had the chance arise, but he seems committed and it's his decision, which I need to support as a Father, will have to see what happens there I guess.....Thanks to both you and Ardent for the information...it is more than I got out of the recruiters over the last 6 months and even when it is not always what you want to hear, it is good to hear it.

Ant-Thanks my friend, but don't forget, you and DC already do a great job sharing stories and memories with the Pictures you post of your beautiful Children.

Dennis He actually does love the blue............MICHIGAN BLUE!!! Don't know where I went wrong there

Digamma, Spleen and Todd Thank you so much for the words of support and encouragement...It means a lot.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In Africa even I was referred to as a "warm body" a few times.

What? Like you were never referred to that way stateside?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

What happens in Africa stays in Africa
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What? Like you were never referred to that way stateside?

From what I remember, Warm body is complimentary reference in the Military....At least I was called much worse

Update, Tony called, he is in Chicago waiting for transportation to the Base, as much it sucks, I have to smile at what lies ahead his first few days.....I tried to prepare him, but it is just something you have to experience for yourself

A couple of Pics from the MEPS building today...

Me and Tony

Most of the Family, the change in departure dates messed it up for the youngest and oldest (Work and a test that couldn't be missed)
Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great pictures. Always nice to see loving fathers with their kids.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good news is he would rather be waiting at the airport than at Great Lakes. Trust me.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #30
JW
College Prospect

Godspeed to your son and best wishes to you and your family. I left home at age 19 in 1973, after giving my mom and dad a week's notice that I had enlisted in the Army and was leaving in a week. I had no real clue at the time how much of a shock that was to them, even though it was just time for me to get out on my own. Now I have a kid in high school and am comtemplating the day she will leave home. I understand these things a lot better now.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #31
BYU 14
Coordinator

First Letter

Quick update, finally received our first letter today which was a more than Welcome sight.....Here is a quote that pretty much sums up the same feelings I had after my first week in the Army.

"it's really intense here. The first night was the worst, it's going to be a long few weeks. Tell everyone I love them and that I am ok, please give out my address to everyone who wants to write. I love you and miss you Love SR Crooks, Anthony B"

It's been a long week here too, waiting for an address and word that all is well, I already have three letters written and ready to go.....Actually I think the first ones I have written since I was in the Army..

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-16-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM   #32
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow BYU i am having flashbacks to MEPS and then basic training at Ft Dix in New Jersey. Good to see you got the first letter. How long is basic training these days?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Quick update, finally received our first letter today which was a more than Welcome sight.....Here is a quote that pretty much sums up the same feelings I had after my first week in the Army.

"it's really intense here. The first night was the worst, it's going to be a long few weeks. Tell everyone I love them and that I am ok, please give out my address to everyone who wants to write. I love you and miss you Love SR Crooks, Anthony B"

It's been a long week here too, waiting for an address and word that all is well, I already have three letters written and ready to go.....Actually I think the first ones I have written since I was in the Army..

Keep 'em coming. You may not here from him every day, but he'll get mail every day. Put something in at the post office every day. Every day. My future wife did that for me and it sure made life a whole lot tolerable.

He's seeing snow up here right now. Well, snow on the ground...it didn't snow today, but was snowing yesterday.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 AM   #34
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Wow BYU i am having flashbacks to MEPS and then basic training at Ft Dix in New Jersey. Good to see you got the first letter. How long is basic training these days?

I think it's at 8 weeks without looking or asking. It was shortened about 10 days two years ago, removing the "service week" (where recruits took a week off of training and ran facilities, including the galley, for a week) and a few "senseless" drills from the routine. It may be even shorter with the "smart" ships, barracks that contain a galley and a classroom environment.

Less marching = less time in boot more time in the fleet.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 AM   #35
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Hey, just think... It could be worse... He could be named the Radiers coach!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #36
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

The Navy has a slightly better retention rate than the Raiders
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

Ardent is correct, it is 8 weeks at the moment, was 11 weeks when I was in. I can recount every moment of my first 24 hours after arriving at Fort Jackson for basic, even after 26 years it is clear as a bell.

I hear you ardent, I know I loved it when letter came, it was like a piece of Home in an envelope. I had 3 ready to go and for the next one I am going to include some of the well wishes from People here, I think that would make him feel good as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
The Navy has a slightly better retention rate than the Raiders

There would be one bright spot to the Raiders job though, after they went 4-12 next Year I would have had him home 3 years earlier than expected
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #39
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Dont forget he would make a bit more cash as the Raiders coach. Hey and don't forget about the plastic pants he would get from Al Davis.

My best advice would be what a friend said when i went, "it is just an 8 week game you just gotta play along".
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Somehow I missed this thread (and how that's possible with the long title, I have no idea)...so let me take this time to thank you for your service in the past, thank your son for enlisting now, and wish Tony a safe return home.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Ardent is correct, it is 8 weeks at the moment, was 11 weeks when I was in. I can recount every moment of my first 24 hours after arriving at Fort Jackson for basic, even after 26 years it is clear as a bell.

I hear you ardent, I know I loved it when letter came, it was like a piece of Home in an envelope. I had 3 ready to go and for the next one I am going to include some of the well wishes from People here, I think that would make him feel good as well.

Interesting enough, I went to Fort Jackson for my weapons training before going to Africa.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Phone Call!!

Today Tony got his first free time for phone calls and was able to get ahold of me at work which absolutely made my day!!! I could never imagine it would still be as hard over 3 weeks after he left as it is sometimes, and hearing his voice was an almost euphoric feeling for me, followed by the fastest 20 minute conversation ever!

He is starting to get used to things and says it has gotten much easier after the first week, which he feels was maybe the toughest of his Life to date. Though he is feeling much better about things, I could tell he is definitely still homesick. He mentioned how much he enjoys getting letters every day and anyone who has served can verify how much they boost your morale when you are far from home. He was sure to restate this and asked we keep writing every day....which he has also mentioned in his letters

He is working hard and has won promotion to Recruit Chief Petty Officer, which from his description is basically the Navy version of a Platoon leader, a position you get to keep until you screw up or someone outshines you. He has held it almost 2 full weeks of the 3 they have been training and gets to carry a Cutlass around. He acknowledges it is a lot of pressure to keep his division in line, but he enjoys the responsibility. I can't tell you how proud I am of him for this accomplishment and to see him step up to the challenges the way he has and to be commended for it.

We also talked about the reclassification thing and he indicated that they would give you three choices, but they would be based on the needs of the Navy and could also result in your contract being changed. My only advice there was to stick with what felt right in his Heart. He had many choices when he enlisted and chose the MP path then, which is where his interests lay. He knows he has total support from us in whatever choice he makes....Even if it makes Dad worry, LOL.

The whole call felt like speed dating trying to fit 3+ weeks into 20 minutes. The big highlight for me is that he is graduating on March 9th, which is my Birthday! Can't think of a better present than spending it with him in Illinois. Caught him up on Football and general happenings and he promised to kick my Ass at Madden as soon as he gets home, typical Dad/Son rivalry stuff

Last but not least, I printed well wishes from those of you that posted them here and sent them with one of my letters a couple of weeks ago. He was touched to the point of Tears by the kind words of encouragement and support from those here, and on the Title Bout board, and wanted me to pass on to you how grateful he was for every one of them! He of course saved them all and told me that those, along with our letters keep his spirits high.

So thank you from me as well for what your words have meant to my son!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #43
miami_fan
Coordinator

Good to hear things are going well for him. I wish him continued success.

Now get back to writing those letters! I still have the letters my family sent to me when I was in Basic.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great post, BYU. Thanks for sharing. I hope things continue to go well for your son.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #45
BYU 14
Coordinator

Thanks Guys!

I'm just jealous he gets to carry a friggin Cutlass and only sharp object I got to carry in the Army was a Potato peeler

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-01-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Bump, looking for the update. I can't recall if he graduated boot camp this past weekend or if he is this weekend.

If it's this weekend, let me know.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #47
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks Guys!

I'm just jealous he gets to carry a friggin Cutlass and only sharp object I got to carry in the Army was a Potato peeler

Cutlass? Hell yeah, they're giving the lad pirate training!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #48
SFL Cat
College Starter

He's a fine looking young man, BYU. I know he'll do you and his country proud.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #49
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Cutlass? Hell yeah, they're giving the lad pirate training!

To complete the motif my graduation present to him is a Parrot

Hey Ardent, just PM'd you. Graduation is Friday and we are flying up Thursday.....He has managed to hold on to his RCPO throughout Basic, so he will get to lead his divison during graduation. He also was tops at all the testing amongst E2's so he has actually been promoted to E3 already which which took me damn near a year to get to in the Army.....He has really taken advantage of every opportunity to date and I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I am truly proud of him, and can 't wait to see him!

Minus my lack of love for Flying, I am really looking forward to the trip and getting to take in a little bit of Chicago as well. Hopefully we will also get the chance to hook with Ardent.........I have to figure out a way to pick him out of the crowd though.....hmmm, you don't own anything orange by chance do you buddy?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I got an orange jacket with your name on it.