Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
LondonSmith
n00b

Change position of quarterback?

Have you guys ever changed the position of a quarterback? I have a guy with a high scramble frequency, but not much else going for him. There's obviously real-life precedents for speedy qbs being repurposed, but is that something you've ever had success with in the game?

LondonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonSmith View Post
Have you guys ever changed the position of a quarterback? I have a guy with a high scramble frequency, but not much else going for him. There's obviously real-life precedents for speedy qbs being repurposed, but is that something you've ever had success with in the game?

Save and try, see what happens
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
bdubbs
n00b

Just for fun I wanted to see what this would look like on my own star QB who gets a fair amount of work done on the ground.

He's got a 4.64 40 yard dash, so pretty slow compared to a good RB or WR. 82/82 ovr as a QB.

The result was 39/55 at RB and 1/5 at WR. So I would imagine QB's are assumed to have no hands. Even as a RB all pass catching bars are 0/0 and blocking drops to 0 as well but did get a solid future rating. His rushing bars were all pretty decent though.

While there is a thought that you could possibly convert a guy with a lightning 40 and high scramble into a decent RB as long as you don't throw him the ball the big caveat I'm imagining is the hidden fumble rating. I have to imagine that QB's on average are going to be lower in that category.

With that said this question has sparked my interest, and I'm going to do some playing around in SP tomorrow to see if converting a QB to another position could possibly have any merit. For example do all QB conversions have 0 pass catching skills across the board? If you convert a rookie before TC is it possible they can develop some future potential in those skills?

The answer is probably that it's never going to make sense to actually convert a QB, but hey why not do a little digging? After all you can get a lightning speed QB with max scramble in the 7th round, or you can sign a bunch of them as undrafted FA's and see what they look like post conversion. If there's any chance it could make them serviceable its a cheap and easy way to fill a roster spot and you can be sure nobody else is doing it.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
LondonSmith
n00b

If you have a QB that's got an 8 rating 22 potential, might as well try. I ended up playing awhile and he got cut, so I didn't find out what might have been, but next time I'll report what I find.

In the meantime, I'm still relatively new to this game, and wonder what tips you have for drafting qbs in the first place. I know it's a fact that quality QBs are tougher to find in real life, but do you *ever* find late round gems with qbs? I can draft a guy with a ton of superior combine skills and still get 11 overall with 20 potential.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
If you have a QB that's got an 8 rating 22 potential, might as well try. I ended up playing awhile and he got cut, so I didn't find out what might have been, but next time I'll report what I find.

In the meantime, I'm still relatively new to this game, and wonder what tips you have for drafting qbs in the first place. I know it's a fact that quality QBs are tougher to find in real life, but do you *ever* find late round gems with qbs? I can draft a guy with a ton of superior combine skills and still get 11 overall with 20 potential.

Combines are pointless nowadays,

Drafting is all about bars.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
bdubbs
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post

I disagree with this statement and still strongly prefer to see bars that are supported by combine scores. One of the great things about this game in my opinion is the fact that there is no perfect methodology of drafting.

Just this past draft in my MP league there was an OT that I thought was the best player in the draft. All of his bars showed 100 potential and he had amazing combines to back it up including a 43 bench score which I'm pretty sure is max. I thought he was a sure thing to be an 85-89 ovr player. At the end of his rookie season he's currently showing 56/70. Still a great player, but noticeably less impressive than he looked on the draft board.

Point being that no matter what a guy's bars / combines look like you can't fight rng in this game and all you can do is try and avoid the obvious busts.

To answer the question about drafting QB's. A high sole is generally considered a must, and a high bench is also nice to see because it correlates with your deep throwing bars. As far as that "diamond in the rough" guy, no you're probably not going to find him.

Good news is you don't need a 70/70 QB to get production and wins out of the position. Personally I just plug guys in and judge them based on their production. It's more important to have talented WR's and a strong OL in my opinion and keep throwing darts at the QB position until you find the right guy. Just my opinion
Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
LondonSmith
n00b

Of course bars are important, but as far as evaluating before the draft there isn't really another way except the combine and interviews.Unless there's something I'm simply missing/overlooking!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 AM   #8
bdubbs
n00b

Quote:
Of course bars are important, but as far as evaluating before the draft there isn't really another way except the combine and interviews.Unless there's something I'm simply missing/overlooking!

The point is bars change (sometimes drastically) during TC and again at preseason week 2 so the main debate when it comes to draft strategy involves trying to identify which guys you think are a higher risk of a ratings drop, and which guys you think have bars that won't or hopefully will even get a bump during the reveal stages.

So a guy who looks good to you a veteran player might see as a risky pick because of things like combines and static bars mostly. Also some guys have played so long certain bar patterns in successful / unsuccessful guys start to stand out to them. For example low elusiveness is seen as a sign a RB might be really good by some players, or low timing on Qbs. Or just knowing that blocking strength isn't that important on Olineman and there's a lot of quality ones out there who have high rbk and pbk but low brs, so when you see low brs in the draft you aren't as worried its a sign the player sucks
Old 10-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post

FWIW I've spent some time trying to quantify this and I think it's a sensible generalisation to say that it's about 30% combines, 70% bars in this version of FOF.

Specifically what I mean by that is if you look across a large population of players at (1) the scouted bar on a draft prospect compared to (2) the actual developed bar for the eventual player, you get a correlation. If you then blend the relevant combine score into the calculation, you get a better correlation, and the point at which the correlation stops getting better and starts getting worse again when I did it was at about 30/70 I think. It varies by position and by bar.

I'm not sure the generalisation is especially useful in practical terms, i.e. I'm not sure it makes me play the game in a different way. Buy hey, just passing something along.

Last edited by Squirrel : 10-19-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
ezlee2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I disagree with this statement and still strongly prefer to see bars that are supported by combine scores. One of the great things about this game in my opinion is the fact that there is no perfect methodology of drafting.

Just this past draft in my MP league there was an OT that I thought was the best player in the draft. All of his bars showed 100 potential and he had amazing combines to back it up including a 43 bench score which I'm pretty sure is max. I thought he was a sure thing to be an 85-89 ovr player. At the end of his rookie season he's currently showing 56/70. Still a great player, but noticeably less impressive than he looked on the draft board.

Point being that no matter what a guy's bars / combines look like you can't fight rng in this game and all you can do is try and avoid the obvious busts.

To answer the question about drafting QB's. A high sole is generally considered a must, and a high bench is also nice to see because it correlates with your deep throwing bars. As far as that "diamond in the rough" guy, no you're probably not going to find him.

Good news is you don't need a 70/70 QB to get production and wins out of the position. Personally I just plug guys in and judge them based on their production. It's more important to have talented WR's and a strong OL in my opinion and keep throwing darts at the QB position until you find the right guy. Just my opinion

I agree that it's not only bars, but IMO they are at worst 80% part of the equation. Since FOF8 has been out I have tested this in both MP and in SP and I've done quite well in all of my leagues. In fact, I'll put my drafting up against the best of them. I always go bars first (good static bars are a plus) and then look for supporting combines.
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlee2 View Post
I agree that it's not only bars, but IMO they are at worst 80% part of the equation. Since FOF8 has been out I have tested this in both MP and in SP and I've done quite well in all of my leagues. In fact, I'll put my drafting up against the best of them. I always go bars first (good static bars are a plus) and then look for supporting combines.

That's what I meant
Old 10-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #12
bdubbs
n00b

btw I did some playing around in SP and I've come to the conclusion that you actually can find a roster worthy RB from a QB conversion but you have to be pretty lucky.

I happened to convert a guy who ended up being 40/43 after his first preseason. Converted qbs can develop their pass catching skills if developed early, but they seem very very poor in general. The only thing that made my 40/43 guy worth keeping was he happened to come out with very good hole rec. He managed to average a solid 4.67 ypc his rookie season.

So if you have the roster spots / cap space to sign some high speed rookie QB's who are the right size during FA2 looking for a reserve role RB its completely possible
Old 10-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #13
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
btw I did some playing around in SP and I've come to the conclusion that you actually can find a roster worthy RB from a QB conversion but you have to be pretty lucky.

I happened to convert a guy who ended up being 40/43 after his first preseason. Converted qbs can develop their pass catching skills if developed early, but they seem very very poor in general. The only thing that made my 40/43 guy worth keeping was he happened to come out with very good hole rec. He managed to average a solid 4.67 ypc his rookie season.

So if you have the roster spots / cap space to sign some high speed rookie QB's who are the right size during FA2 looking for a reserve role RB its completely possible

This looks like a cool innovation...nice idea
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
LondonSmith
n00b

Quote:

Sweet! Most of them are Terrelle Pryors, not Hines Wards haha