Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #2151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished Big Little Lies season 1. Really good watch. I figured out most of it by episode 6, but fun nonetheless.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #2152
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just finished Big Little Lies season 1. Really good watch. I figured out most of it by episode 6, but fun nonetheless.

Outstanding show. Not groundbreaking or anything, but very well done.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #2153
Atocep
Coordinator

The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix - YouTube

The Witcher trailer is exciting to see.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #2154
tarcone
Coordinator

Last Chance U dropped. I was disappointed after the first part of the Indy 2 part series.

Wish they had gone deeper into Browns legal issues.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #2155
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix - YouTube

The Witcher trailer is exciting to see.

I really want this to be good.

Superman is pretty buffed up. Must be nice to be paid to workout all day long.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #2156
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon last night. This strangely flew under my radar, I've seen it mentioned in passing a few times but didn't know it was a cyberpunk story until I saw it referenced from an article on the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 or else I would've been on board from day 1. Loved the first episode, and thankfully the wife did too meaning we may just work our way through the first season.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #2157
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm watching Netflix "Three Wives, One Husband". I'm into ep 3 where the guy's brother has died and, in addition to all the other drama, he's said he will marry his brother's 2 wives and his current 3 wives seem to accept it if its God's will.

Not sure if his 2 sister-in-laws are for it ... haven't gotten to that part.

Fascinating real-life dynamics. The bedroom situation would be weird.

He may be in trouble though per below. You would think they would grandfather current polygamists though.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-...-for-polygamy/
Quote:
Enoch Foster is the star of TLC's new show Three Wives, One Husband, but he might be wishing he never signed up for it because now he could be arrested and sentenced to ten years in prison for polygamy.

The four-episode series shows Enoch and his three wives in their Rockland Ranch, Utah home but since they shot it, Utah passed an anti-bigamy law.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #2158
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon last night. This strangely flew under my radar, I've seen it mentioned in passing a few times but didn't know it was a cyberpunk story until I saw it referenced from an article on the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 or else I would've been on board from day 1. Loved the first episode, and thankfully the wife did too meaning we may just work our way through the first season.

Altered Carbon crawls so far up its own ass. Not necessarily in a bad way.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #2159
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm watching Netflix "Three Wives, One Husband". I'm into ep 3 where the guy's brother has died and, in addition to all the other drama, he's said he will marry his brother's 2 wives and his current 3 wives seem to accept it if its God's will.

Not sure if his 2 sister-in-laws are for it ... haven't gotten to that part.

Fascinating real-life dynamics. The bedroom situation would be weird.

He may be in trouble though per below. You would think they would grandfather current polygamists though.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-...-for-polygamy/

But....wait for it....HIS RELIGIOUS FREEDOMS!?!?!?!?!?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #2160
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
But....wait for it....HIS RELIGIOUS FREEDOMS!?!?!?!?!?

The show said he wasn't really married to all 3 legally. He was married to 1 and the other 2 were "spiritual wives". This was before the now law in Utah that apparently bans the spiritual wives (or the like) so he's in trouble.

I get not being a bigamist/polygamist as that is illegal but can you really make spiritual wives illegal? If a married guy had a couple mistresses with kids and he was taking care of them, got them setup in apartments etc. that's not illegal I don't think.

FWIW, it didn't seem that any of the wives were forced into anything. It did seem to be a loving relationship(s) with some typical jealousy/drama you would expect. They all seemed happily aligned to the orig Mormon faith about this is how man/women get closer to God etc.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #2161
PilotMan
Head Coach

Anyone have thoughts on the new Amazon show The Boys? I've seen some of the previews, not sure it'll make my hit list, but I'm curious to see what the opinions are of people here if they watch it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #2162
Edward64
Head Coach

Been watching Netflix Hart of Dixie. Think of Doc Hollywood made into a TV series with a female Dr. as the Michael J Fox character.

Nothing too deep but entertaining for me and wife. I thought first season was good, lots of love interest drama but also interesting family dynamics - bum father, aloof father, mother with a big lie, mother that left family, insecure daughter(s) etc. and all the reconciliations that happen.

Second season so far kinda sucks. Too much of the love interest drama and main protagonist acting too much like a love sick teenager. If this continues, I'll be skipping to the last couple episodes and hope s3 is better.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #2163
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on the new Amazon show The Boys? I've seen some of the previews, not sure it'll make my hit list, but I'm curious to see what the opinions are of people here if they watch it.

I watched the first episode. Visually it was done well. Pretty decent setup but it was a lot darker in parts than what I was expecting the series to be (for example there's a content warning for "rape" among the other content advisers. I thought it was going to be more of a comedic thing but it's definitely more drama.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #2164
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

I've watched the first three, it's well done. It's one of the few comic books I'm aware of, I generally like Garth Ennis's stuff for its mixture of dark humor and ultra-violence, so I've read a few of these. It's fairly faithful to the books, other than the main character Wee Hughie Campbell being an American, and not looking like a stunted Simon Pegg anymore. I should be boycotting for the offensive cultural appropriation of a Scottish character.

The real main weakness is Karl Urban as the main character Butcher, he's awful. His attempt at an English accent is Dick-van-Dyke-in-Mary-Poppins bad, and he's not menacing enough to carry off the main role of a violent hardman who kills superheroes. And they seem to have written out Terror, the fornicating bulldog for some reason.

I'll be sticking with it, though.

Last edited by Critch : 07-27-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #2165
tarcone
Coordinator

I watched the 1st episode of The Boys and it exceeded my expectations. And yet met them WOW. This is exactly how I see a super hero of the 2010s going. Driven by social media and the corporate dollar. With "the little guy" standing up

I love this show already. I cannot wait to watch the rest.

It was not what I expected. I went in totally blind and am very excited.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #2166
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, paused on Hart of Dixie to watch The Boys based on this thread. Ep 1 was pretty good.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #2167
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I will fourth that first episode of The Boys is good. Excited to see the rest.

I will also say we just finished watching season 4 of Veronica Mars, after a complete series/movie re-watch. I am big Marshmellow, so of course I loved it. The shock at the end wasn't the biggest shock to me.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-28-2019 at 09:36 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #2168
Edward64
Head Coach

Done with Boys Ep 5.

Ep 4 with the plane was brutal. Very fun so far.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #2169
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished season 2 of Big Little Lies. Holy shit what an amazing show. Streep is a lock for best supporting actress.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #2170
Izulde
Head Coach

Finished the limited series Sharp Objects this weekend. What a phenomenal, creepy, brilliant show. Hard to watch sometimes and hence not truly bingeable as a result, and not something I could watch again alone, but it'll stick with me.

One line synopsis: Amy Adams as an alcoholic cutter and reporter in St. Louis who is sent to her small Missouri hometown to investigate and report on the disappearance of two teenage girls.

We're definitely not in the world of Enchanted anymore. Lots of little things each episode, too. Really smartly written and acted.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #2171
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just a heads up that there appears to be a concerted effort to hack into Netflix accounts and change the email addresses assigned to the account. If you have an old password on your Netflix account, now would be a good time to update it, especially if the email you used has shown up in any of the reported breaches.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #2172
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Saw the first ep of The Boys as well and have to agree with everyone here - that was really good! I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #2173
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was pretty skeptical of The Boys. I read the first trade paperback of the comic many years ago and... didn't love it. I really liked Preacher and much of Ennis' work on Hellblazer, but he’s like a very rich piece of chocolate cake. The first few bites are amazing, but it soon becomes just too much and no longer all that pleasant. That’s how I felt about The Boys. The concept is fun and interesting, but it became all too much and too nasty after a while. The “super heroes” were just way too over the top gross and bad and soon the concept of super heroes actually being awful became a bit tired. Other comics - like Powers and Top Ten - did it much better and more nuanced.

Still, I love comics and super heroes and was excited by the cast - Karl Urban, Elizabeth Shue, etc - so I decided to give the show a spin and... I really, really like it! I'm five episodes in and it's pretty great. The cast is very solid, it looks good, and it's much more interesting than the source material.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #2174
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I was pretty skeptical of The Boys. I read the first trade paperback of the comic many years ago and... didn't love it. I really liked Preacher and much of Ennis' work on Hellblazer, but he’s like a very rich piece of chocolate cake. The first few bites are amazing, but it soon becomes just too much and no longer all that pleasant. That’s how I felt about The Boys.

Perfect summary, actually. Preacher is the only book of his I stuck through to the end, I burnt out on the Boys after the first couple of volumes. I'll give the show a shot however.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #2175
RainMaker
General Manager

It has the guy from Banshee which is cool.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #2176
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Y'all have piqued my interest.

Also, not enough people watched Banshee, that show was batshit in the best of ways.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #2177
chinaski
College Prospect

The Boys - 9/10. Had never heard of the comics going into this one and just randomly saw it on Prime and hit play. Watched it all in one day. Goddamn its good. Cant wait for season 2.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #2178
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It has the guy from Banshee which is cool.

Cant believe that is the same actor. He really showed what a great actor he is as Homelander.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #2179
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not sure where to put this but since ESPN+ is a sub service, I will put it here.

Peyton's Places is without a doubt really fucking good.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #2180
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just finished The Boys and is great throughout. Definitely up for a second season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #2181
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished the Boys today. Enjoyed it but am PO'd.

WTF was the final scene about? I hate these cliff-hangers ... whatever.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #2182
whomario
Pro Starter

Derry Girls S2 is just as hilarious as the first batch and also has a few really poignant and sweet scenes thrown in. Only 6 Episodes of 20 minutes per season, so you can easily breeze through it as well
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #2183
Izulde
Head Coach

Reminds me I need to renew my Netflix subscription for another month or two to catch up on OITNB final season and S2 of Derry Girls (the latter of which is fast moving up the fave all-time series list if it's as good as S1 was)

Old 08-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #2184
tarcone
Coordinator

Binged the 1st season of Florida Girls.
What can I say? Its a trashy show. Its on POP TV. Streamed over spectrum TV. Funny but stupid.

But I watched the whole thing. Take that for whats it worth.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #2185
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Vikings worth getting into?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #2186
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm 3 episodes into Killer Ratings and completely hooked. I don't know how big a deal this was at the time it happened, but I have zero knowledge of this whole caper and it's taken all my willpower not to google the people or events until I'm done with the show.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #2187
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Is Vikings worth getting into?

I really liked season 1, enjoyed season 2, but started to lose interest about halfway through season 3 and never picked it up. I think it was a bit of a victim of its own success because a few other shows touched on similar territory and I think a few of them (Last Kingdom in particular) surpassed it.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #2188
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I really liked season 1, enjoyed season 2, but started to lose interest about halfway through season 3 and never picked it up. I think it was a bit of a victim of its own success because a few other shows touched on similar territory and I think a few of them (Last Kingdom in particular) surpassed it.

This really sums up my opinion on Vikings perfectly.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #2189
RainMaker
General Manager

So I guess Last Kingdom is what I should watch!
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #2190
tarcone
Coordinator

I watched a show on some channel called POP yesterday. The show was call Florida Girls. It is about 4 lower class girls living together in a trailer in Clearwater. Florida trash. It wasnt the best, but it was a guilty pleasure type show.

I watched the whole thing and enjoyed my time with it.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #2191
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Binged the 1st season of Florida Girls.
What can I say? Its a trashy show. Its on POP TV. Streamed over spectrum TV. Funny but stupid.

But I watched the whole thing. Take that for whats it worth.
Quote:
I watched a show on some channel called POP yesterday. The show was call Florida Girls. It is about 4 lower class girls living together in a trailer in Clearwater. Florida trash. It wasnt the best, but it was a guilty pleasure type show.

I watched the whole thing and enjoyed my time with it.

You liked it so much, you brought it up twice.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #2192
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
So I guess Last Kingdom is what I should watch!
I really enjoyed it. The first two seasons are 8 episodes each and move pretty quick. I'd give it a shot.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #2193
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
You liked it so much, you brought it up twice.

LOL. I was impressed by the lead actor. She had 2 prominent skills so I posted twice.

Last edited by tarcone : 08-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #2194
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
LOL. I was impressed by the lead actor. She had 2 prominent skills so I posted twice.

Math and science, right?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #2195
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching The Blacklist now with Spader and Megan Boone (hmmmm, might put her up for HoN). Thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm beginning to realize that I've missed a lot of good TV series and the Netflix format of binging is great vs waiting for next week.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #2196
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Math and science, right?

She did try and get her GED.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #2197
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
The real main weakness is Karl Urban as the main character Butcher, he's awful. His attempt at an English accent is Dick-van-Dyke-in-Mary-Poppins bad, and he's not menacing enough to carry off the main role of a violent hardman who kills superheroes. And they seem to have written out Terror, the fornicating bulldog for some reason.

I just finished The Boys and came here to read all your thoughts. So, that was supposed to be an English accent? I had trouble pinpointing it to either English or Australian, or I don't know what. And Simon Pegg's American accent was just as horrid.

Anyways, that didn't take away too much of my enjoyment of the show. Can't wait for more.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #2198
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm beginning to realize that I've missed a lot of good TV series and the Netflix format of binging is great vs waiting for next week.

In general, yes, but there's something about the anticipation of waiting for the next week that makes life a little brighter - gives you something to look forward to. And also active participation with at least part of the fandom.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #2199
Groundhog
Coordinator

I thought Urban was going for Australian. It's bad, but doesn't detract from the show for me.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #2200
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Watching The Blacklist now with Spader and Megan Boone (hmmmm, might put her up for HoN). Thoroughly enjoying it.

You would probably like Person of Interest. I've been binging through that and like it.