Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Hollywood Mogul Dynasty - Global Eagle Films

One point five billion dollars. Sometimes, life was very, very good. For me, it didn't get much better as I sold my life's work over to Microsoft. Sure, the monopoly conspiracists and such would say I was pushing the world toward destruction by selling out to Bill Gates, but really...how would the ability to track people's online habits covertly be used for evil, and not good.

You see, I wasn't made to program the eight billion lines of code or sit in a cubicle for weeks upon weeks slowly adding padding to my nearly portly frame. With the cash that I now had in hand, I would be able to live my dream...to make movies. But, on my own terms. Not anyone elses. This is my story...the story of the building of an empire. Of Global Eagle Films.

Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

VARIETY
Latest Internet Mogul moves to Hollywood.

Jesse Ewiak, the former head of CustomerTrack (NAS: CTR) is transistioning from a world of 1' and 0's to one of divas, addicts, visionaries, and fools. However, that's just the studio heads he will be shortly bucking heads with. Ewiak, who recently announced he was selling his company and software to Microsoft for a reported 1.5 billion then made the stunning announcement he was using the proceeds from the buyout to open his own movie studio. Yes, movie studio. Not production house. Not computer animation house. Studio. Construction has already begun on a massive, massive complex in the outskirts of Orange County for the new venture, which is tenatively being called Global Eagle Studios. And already, the thirty year old maverick is making waves in his first waves as a studio head. Look at the following movies.

- Winning the rights to the best-selling novel Rogue Mission for an estimated 5.1 million.

- Buying the hot screenplay School Blues for another 2.7 million.

- Spending an estimated 20 million (and a reported 10% of the gross) to buy the rights to the Superman franchise.

- Getting Michael Chrichton to write the first draft of the legal thriller Unbalanced Scales.

These moves are all very, very big in Hollywood as Ewiak has served notice he wants to move into the upper echelon of movie moguls. The other studios have all been surprisingly mum on the issue, but sources have said that many 'old-timers' want to bury Ewiak before he can get going. However, they have been wont to do so simply because there are rumors that Bill Gates himself as a stake in the company. Whatever is the truth, Ewiak has been coy about simply saying that he has, "respect for all the moviemakers and studios in the business. I just simply wanted to go my own way."
Old 05-03-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Cool.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
Lokugh
Mascot

Sounds good so far.
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:17 AM   #5
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

April 5, 2004
variety.com

Studio Brief

Global Eagle Continues To Make Waves

The new maverick studio continues to be impressive in acquiring rights as along with getting the rights to another DC Comics Graphic Novel in The Watchmen , Ewiak has also bought the rights to a pitch called City Hall , and the biggest news of the week, buying the Tony Winning and controversial play Eyes of Rage.

-------------------------------------------------------

I had to chuckle at the biggest news mention. If the press had a whiff of the negotiations going on already for the top roles in the movies already announed, my phone would be ringing off the hook. I'd already farmed out all the pitches I bought the rights to for their first draft. Except for City Hall. That was mine to write.

The first draft of School Blues was in, and it was good, but I sent it back for some small rewrites. However, parts of it had leak. But for once, it was a good thing.

I looked up at the door as right hand woman, Alexandria knocked on the door.

"Jesse, Mr. Speilberg is here."

I had to smile at that. Four years ago, I could barely afford to eat more than old ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese. Now, perhaps the biggest director in the history of Hollywood wanted to meet with me about taking on the helm of the first release from my studio. Sometimes, life doesn't suck.

"Send him in, Alex."
Old 05-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
StanGunner
Mascot

Bring it on. I enjoy these mogul threads. Bring in some new movie ideas instead of all the retreads.
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Great game, great read.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:46 PM   #8
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

May 19, 2004

Well, good news and bad news. Good news is that I've got eight scripts all be written and soon, they'll all will be filmed barring complete and total diaster or one of the Weinsteins finding large caliber weapons. The bad news is I just I had to tel Mel Gibson I wanted no part of his pitch. It's weird telling a guy who just made three hundred million large this year that his idea isn't good...but he wanted 40%. No way in hell am I giving 40% any time short of Jessica Alba and Lindsay Lohan walking in here only wearing bikini oil. However, I did pitch him one of the movies that will run first, and he said he'd think about it.

But, anyway...I sent Rogue Mission back out for a slight rewrite, School Blues need a slight polish and it's likely both Unbalanced Scales and Superman will need 2nd drafts. Because, as a rule...first drafts blow more than a coked up Courtney Love.

*shudder*

That was a bad, bad party. More good news is that Spielberg has agreed in principle to direct what we pitched him to. Sure, he's getting eleven million and a exective producer's credit, but he was actually receptive to my no percentage clause. Plus, this is a different kind of movie for him...no epic storyline, nothing to say, just a fun, entertaining movie.

-------------------------------------------------------------

June 7, 2004
movieznewzyouzcanuze.com

SPEILBERG TO DIRECT FIRST GE FILM!!!

My spiez have been hitting me all this weekend that ole' Stevie Speilberg himself will be helming the first film from The OC (biatch) complex that will be Global Eagle Studios. The question is, which one will be. Judging from the films that we know or think they have the right, here's a little betting odds for all us film geeks...

3:1 Rogue Mission - Hmm...blockbuster book, heavily hyped...sound famaliar at all???

6:1 Superman - Why, it's bloody Superman ya' idiots. Spielberg on top of that woiuld just about guarantee Spidey's opening weekend fell like a stack o' Jenga blocks.

10:1 - Watchmen - Again, comic book movie, but could be too dark for Spielberg.

25:1 - The Field

OK, on to our next news item...

ASHTON KUTCHER TO STAR IN 'THE FLASH'???? WE MUST BURN DOWN WARNER BROTHERS MY FELLOW GEEKS!!!!!!

Last edited by Jesse_Ewiak : 05-05-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:23 AM   #9
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

July 8, 2004

Things are finally beginning to come together...Rogue Mission and Superman look to be only one or two drafts from being filmable, and Eyes of Rage could start depending on whether or not the final polish comes out well. On the other, Unbalanced Scales continues to give us problems, so it's gonig to a new writer for a page one rewrite. Still, the original writer is happy, he got paid well for a crap script. Gotta' love Hollywood. I'm already looking for some new ideas or pitches to buy, but right now, I got a set of twins to look over...and they're not auditioning for a part.

July 13, 2004

Eyes of Rage is in, and it looks good. In fact, it's filmable. Yup, I said filmable. I have my various underlings start the chumming for roles and almost immediatly, I get a few calls from agents...

"No, really...I don't think Adam Sandler is quite ready for a role of this mangnitude."

Adam Sandler as a vengeful husband? I want some of what he has.

"Really, we don't need to add musical numbers to it. I'm sure we can do business at a later time."

Look, I liked Molin Rogue too, but Baz was not a good fit for the role.

"Ah, yeah. Actually, let's begin to hammer out the details."

July 27, 2004

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

'EYES OF RAGE' FIRST GLOBAL EAGLE FILM TO SHOOT

Eyes of Rage, a drama based on the Tony Award winning play about a man seeking vengeance on thw two men who raped and murdered his wife was given the green light this week. The 78 million dollar picture will film in Toronto and at the new GE Complex in Orange County, California. In the starring role, for a reported 14 million dollars will be Mel Gibson. Directing will be Adrian Lyne, who previously helmed Unfaithful and Fatal Attraction. Jennifer Garner will play the wife while Sean Connery, for a reported 12 million will be a detective on the case in the main supporting role. The one other big role will be played by newcomer Terrence Long, who at nineteen will be part of the 'Pack' that attacks Garner.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:57 AM   #10
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

August 10, 2004
variety.com

GLOBAL EAGLE/SPIELBERG PRODUCT GREENLIT

When the rumors surfaced that Steven Spielberg would direct a movie for the fledging Global Eagle Studios, it was expected he would either helm either a big budget picture like Rogue Mission or Superman or a personal project of his own. So, when the news came that Spielberg would be returning a bit to his roots with a modestly budgeted comedy by the name of School Blues , it was a huge shock to the Hollywood community. Spielberg will direct and executive produce the movie for a reported eleven million dollars and will be joined in the main role of two veteran teachers by Meg Ryan and Helen Hunt. Their salaries are not yet known, but it's rumored Ryan's is between six and eight million while Hunt is hovering around 2.5 million. Also in the movie will be Keira Knightley, who will play a former student returning as a former teacher while Mekhi Phifer and Sean William Scott will play two prankster students. Filming will begin in late December in Wilmington, North Carolina and at the Global Eagle Complex in Orange County, Florida.

August 23, 2004

Another month, another hundred or so million out of the bank. Yeah, I realize it will be all worth it in the end, but Jesus it's hard too write checks for milliions upon millions of dollars when you're not used to it. The good news is I do have two movies in pre-production and a coupel more that need some slight polishing. Rogue Mission just needs a bit more work so Hill will get another nice payday for a month of work. Superman also needs a polish while the first draft of Unbalanced Scales in and well, it defintlery needs a second draft. The even better news is that Keira Knightley and I hit it off as we were casting for School Blues.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #11
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

September 14, 2004

Boys and girls, if talking to an unbelivably sexy nineteen year old British knockout, don't mention you rented a movie of hers just to see her breasts. Does not go over well...at all. Anyway, on to more important matters, like the fact we got to spend more money this month on writers. Superman I'm paying one and a quarter million for a polish that will hopefully take it from average to very good, while I'm still heavily rewriting Unbalanced Scales. Take the good with the bad I guess. However, Rogue Mission is about done, thank God and it looks like Bryan Singer to come on to direct. No 'X3' for a while I guess. Insert Evil Laugh Here. :-)

September 28, 2004
hollywoodrumorz.com

FARRELL/FRASER TO STAR IN 'ROGUE MISSION?'

Sources inside Global Eagle Studios have told me, the Rumormeister himself that it's all but a done deal that Brendan Fraser and Colin Farrell will star as the two commandos who infiltrate a cult leader's compound in the movie based on the best selling book. The movie, which will film in Dallas will reportedly cost around 120 million and be the first 'big' release for the fledging studio.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:41 AM   #12
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Great read keep it up
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:59 AM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Good readin'. Keep up the good work.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:09 AM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Brendan Frazier as a commando? Yeek.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #15
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

October 5, 2004

Idiot internet geeks. If I find out who leaked...

...serenity now. Good news is, the story wasn't bullshit. The even better news is that Eyes of Rage is now shooting and should be ready for release for the fall of next year. The best news...Keira decided to give me a second chance.

October 8, 2004
variety.com

FRASER AND FARRELL TO STAR IN BIG BUDGET ACTIONER FOR GLOBAL EAGLE

First, it was Spielberg. Then, Mel Gibson. Now, Bryan Singer. Glboal Eagle Studios seems to make a statement they are in the movie business to win big and the first films coming out seem to buoy that fact. In a press release, largely brought on by a leaked cast report to the Internet, Global Eagle head Jesse Ewiak announced that the big budget Rogue Mission, based on the best selling book will be helmed by X-Men and Usual Suspects director Bryan Singer. In the lead will be Brendan Fraser and Colin Farrell playing the two commando's sought to infiltrate a cult leader in rural Texas. Hey, we never said it was original. Fraser has reportedly signed on for 11 million and Farrell for 4.25 million. Also, Paul Newman has joined the cast as the General in charge of the commando's while Elisha Cuthbert will play a Senator's Daughter who is a member of the cult and the main reason why the operation is happening at all. Global Eagle is said to be looking for a July 2005 release date for the picture.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:47 AM   #16
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

OK, time to bring this baby back to life....

November 19, 2004

Slow and steady wins the race. A few people have called me to ask why I don't put out a quick low budget piece of junk to get the brand name out there. My answer is this, I don't want my name associated with junk. Yeah, the cash reserves aren't exactly rising upward at the moment, but ya' got to crawl before you walk.

In actual news, I had Superman get a quick polish again, to make it just right. Also, Unbalanced Scales still looks to be a month or two from being ready to start giving people to look over, but I'm already calling a few agents to see what I can do about announcing people before hand.

Watchmen and City Hall are still being re-written. They should be done next month.

November 24, 2004
pagesix.com

PROBLEMS ON NEW STUDIO'S SET!
This is why you don't put two megastars who each have egos in one movie.

According to anonymous sources, Adrian Lyne, the director of GE's film Eyes of Rage is already having problems with stars Mel Gibson and Sean Connery. Further rumors have GE Head Jesse Ewiak heading out to soothe the nerves of both stars ego, along with giving a few words to Lyne about keeping control of his set.

In other news, Lopez and Anthony divor....
Old 08-13-2004, 01:04 AM   #17
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

December 2, 2004

I hate primadonnas. Both of the male and female variety. Especially of the costing me $20,000,000 dollars variety thanks to flaws in production and underbudgeting, at least according to Gibson. Remind me never to hire that ultra zealot again, OK? Jesus, you'd think out of all those people on set, Garner is the being the least diva-like. Thank Heaven or wherever for small miracles I guess.

December 7, 2004

A day that will live in infamy. No, we're not remaking Pearl Harbor. I'm not that insane. Actually, it's because in the last two days both DeNiro and Duvall were in my office, and we made handshake deals on them joining the cast of two upcoming movies. What moves? Well, you'll just have to wait and see. But, it won't be Superman. Still needs a little more polish to take care of the rough edges.

December 10, 2004
variety.com

BENNING/DUVALL TO STAR IN STONE DIRECTED FILM - 'BLOOD RED MOON' - FOR GLOBAL EAGLE

In more news that is making the other established studios sweat, Oliver Stone has been brough on to helm the ninety million dollar thriller about a cult getting in the way of a detective and his client's search for her runaway son. Based on the best selling novel, Blood Red Moon will star Annette Benning as a wealthy socoalite being drug threw the parts of LA that most people don't see. Benning will get a reported 5.5 million dollars, while Robert Duvall will step in and play the old, out-of-it grizzled PI for a budget 2 million. Rounding out the cast will be newcomer David Thompson in a supporting role as Benning's wayward son while Jack Black and Natalie Portman will be playing Duvall's assitiant and daughter respectivally. The picture will shoot on location in LA and at the new Global Eagle Complex in Orange County, CA.

Dcember 13, 2004
Hmm...Watchmen and City Hall both came in and immediatly went out for more work. Not even close to being filmable yet. Sometimes, kicking writer's in the ass to get them to work is hard.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:57 AM   #18
daedalus
Pro Rookie

'Bout time this came back to life. Gosh darn it.

Good readin'.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #19
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

OLD DYNASTY...RIIIIIIIIIISE!

January 6, 2005

Hmm...the good news is that Keira finally called me back and gave me a second chance. The bad news, she said this as I confirmed my date to the Golden Globes with Laura Prepon. Whoops. Yeah, much cursing of the British variety, then dial tone. Bloody women.

On the other hand, we did buy the rights to The Four, a big Western novel and somehow gave it to Dean Koontz to script. Did I drink Drano last night before I did that?

Anyway...also bought the rights to the a screenplay called Camelot Crusaders, which will be reworked as just Camelot. Also, bought the rights from Marvel and Brian Bendis to write a script based on the first Powers graphic novel. Gave it to Buck Macklin to work on.

January 15, 2005

Not everyday that Stephen King walks through the door and offers to write a screenplay for you...based on an idea you came up and left drift in 'ideaspace.' But hey, I'll take it. Strange Luck is good luck so far.

January 19, 2005

Golden Globes were fun. After party was even better. The rest of the night back at the house was even better. That is all. ;-)

Janurary 24, 2005

Goddammit! Another eight million for Eyes of Rage. Can I please shoot Mel Gibson? In other news, Superman needs just a final touchup to be ready while City Hall needs some work, so it's being sent back for a polish.

Januray 29, 2005
variety.com

PACINO, BALE, WEISZ STAR IN LEGAL THRILLER - 'UNBALANCED SCALES' - FOR GLOBAL EAGLE

Global Eagle Studios cotinued to ride the path to a seat at the table with the other large studios by announcing the cast attatched to the thriller Unbalanced Scales, which will be helmed by 'Seven' director David Fincher.

Rachel Weisz will be paid a reported five million as a juror drawn into the intrigue and conspiracy around a murder case involving Thomas Wilkerson, a rich businessman played by Pierce Brosnan who is being defended by legendary defense attorney Arthur Sheridan, in a role custom fit for Al Pacino at six million dollars. Bale will play a supporting role as a jury foreman who is skeptical for Weisz's claims while Rachel Leigh Cook will have a brief role as the murder victim. Most filming will take place in Toronto and costs will be an estimated one hundred million dollars including labor costs.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

We need sports movies!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #21
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Fourth times a charm?

February 7, 2005

OK, is Gibson spending all the money and whores and drugs? Another four million for Eyes of Rage, it better be worth it. In somewhat better news, Rogue Mission is in post-production and will be ready for a summer tentpole release. Also, Watchmen may be getting close to completion and need a small polishing. Hopefully, at least.

February 13, 2005
coolnewz.com

IT'S SUPERMAN BITCHES!!!!!

Yes boys and girls, the moment has arrived. After over twenty years of waiting, the Boy Scout will be back on the big screen! Global Eagle Studios, who paid DC and Warner Brothers approximately eighty majillion dollars for the rights officially announced the picture with a estimated 115 million dollar budget for production and effects.

But, who cares about all the cash. Let's get to the important part. In a surprise, but not really, it was announced that Brendan Fraser would be playing SUPERMAN! Rumors have always said Fraser didn't want to play the part as it would mean being locked into several films, but ya' know, a mans got to eat.

In the other insanely important role, Ed Harris will be playing Luthor. Not my first choice, who is well, Gene Hackman again or someone like Spacey, but Harris will add an aura of reality to it all.

So who plays Lois Lane? Katie Holmes, that's who. Well, she's not a huge star, plus it's not like she's going out with a psycho like Cruise or Affleck.

Also, Madeline Stowe will play Ma Kent, but Global Eagle left the two biggies for the end. First, Harrison Fucking Ford will be playing Perry White and oh yeah, Christopher Reeve will be playing Jor-El.

Yes, Christopher Reeve will be in the new Superman movie. The bossman at Global Eagle admit it will be hard with Reeve's precarious health state, but since it will be 99% voice work, they think it can be done with little risk to his health.

My verdict: Let's hope this thing makes eight zillion dollars and makes those fucks who took Superman away from us for two decades cry.

Feburary 18, 2005
variey.com

COPPOLA TO HELM 'CITY HALL' FOR GLOBAL EAGLE

In a move that screams Oscar Bait, Francis Ford Coppola will be behind the directors chair for City Hall, the latest offering from Global Eagle Studios. Earning an estimated eight million dollars, Coppola will helm the film about a bitter mayoral primary in a large city in a crisis over the supposed actions of the incumbent mayor, played by Robert DeNiro for an estimated six point five million.

In an oppiosite lead role, Rob Lowe will have a chance to return to stardom by playing DeNiro's Chief of Staff, looking for the truth. Siguorney Weaver plays DeNiro's opponent in the race, while Morgan Freeman should draw notice as the leader of the NAACP in the movie. Kate Hudson will have a supporting role as Lowe's fiance, while Susan Sarandon will have a brief appearane as a Senator. Prodution costs are estimated at seventy five million before casting and exteriors will be shot in Chicago.

February 23, 2005

Almost the end of the month and one more announcement to make. Camelot has a chance to hit huge, especially if marketed in the right way. Of course, Peter Jackson directing and George Clooney starring as Arthur helps.

Viggo Mortensen should be awesome as Lancelot, while Scarlett Johanseen will cut an impressive and young figure as Guinivere. It's a risk going with a slightly younger than normal actress, but she has the chops. Meanwhile, Kevin Bacon and Haley Joel Osment should do well supporting as a knight/squire team. Budget is going to be massive, plus it's a couple of months shooting in London, but between this and Superman, next summer should be very fun.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #22
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Hollywood Mogul Dynasty - Global Eagle Films

March 8, 2005

School Blues is officially cut, shot, edited, soundtrack, and everything else. Officially PG-13 rating, 95% screen testing, and heavy as hell advertising. This will be our first release, and it can't fail. It simply can't.

March 11, 2005

Night after my birthday, and hmm....the girls are here. Which girls? Let's say they've been in FHM, Stuff, and Maxim. Being a Mogul can be fun sometimes.

March 22, 2005
variety.com

WATCHMEN FINALLY COMES TO THE SILVER SCREEN

Watchmen, the Alan Moore penned graphic novel will finally come to movie theaters from Global Eagle Studios. Bought from Paramount for an estimated ten million, the film will be helmed by Sam Raimi, while Brad Pitt will play superhero/mogul Ozymandias and John Cusack will co-star as overweight former hero Nite Owl. Steve Buscemi will be the main supporting actor as paranoid revenge-minded hero Rorshach. Jodie Foster will come in on a quasi-cameo as the young version of Sally Jupiter, a hero from the 1960's. Meanwhile, Kate Beckinsale will play an older version of Jupiter's daughter and Mena Suvari will have another quasi-cameo as Jupiter's daughter as a young girl. Shooting will occur in Vancouver and have an estimated budget of 98.5 million before cast and ad costs.

Hmm....they didn't mention Nolte as The Comedian or who is playing Doc Manhattan. Typical.

April 9, 2005

Two pieces of good news in one day? Impossible! Well, Unbalanced Scales is in shooting finally and Blood Red Moon is in post-production! Huzzah. T-Minus one month until Rogue Mission.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #23
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

May 7, 2005

Almost go time for School Blues, but in other important news for the company, Rogue Mission is done. Right down to the wire, but hell, it was worth it. Previews are absolutely stellar and we've already been pumping nearly thirty five million into advertising already, this is our 'tentpole' movie.

Of course, Superman finally started shooting in an undisclosed location that the rest of the world will probably figure out in three weeks, while City Hall is shooting in Chicago to much less fanfare.

The Four, Powers, and Strange Luck all came back to me to review and all went back for a rewrire. Powers is close to being ready to shoot, but The Four and Strange Luck need a lot of work to be presentable.

May 14, 2005

Wish me luck, it's the first day in release for School Blues. We're up a week before Star Wars, so that will save us, plus next week, it's not like everybody likes Star Wars, right?

May 18, 2005
boxofficestats.com

'SCHOOL BLUES A HUGE SUCCESS FOR GLOBAL EAGLE STUDIOS'

...the week before Anakin Skywalker finished his descent into darkness, an upstart studio came roaring into studios. School Blues, the Steven Spielberg helmed debut for Global Eagle studios starring Helen Hunt and Megan Ryan opened on 3,511 screens with a mammoth 42.3 million dollar opening. It is by far the biggest opening for Ryan, while it beats the 41 million plus opening for Twister, which Hunt costarred in. The movie played well, earning an B+ average from the major magazines and a 74% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes....most highly praised was the adaption of the script to film, along with Spielberg's direction of the movie. The only real negatives mentioned was Keira Knightley's only average preformance as a new teacher who was a former student and the actual script, which was called an 'average comedy' by Ebert....