Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Last Summer

Yeah this is kind of a copy of the other college threads, but it's that time for me to start looking, and I figured I would journal it.

My info

I'm ranked 20 something out of 200 something.
3.67 GPA
My best ACT:
Science: 24
Math: 22
English: 25
Reading: 33
Composite: 26

It kinda sucks because on the other 2 I had gotten a 27 in English but my math score sucked ass (read 18 on the first one).

I'm looking to major in History, Pre-Law, Criminal Justice, Political Science. I guess I want to either be a lawyer, police officer, teacher, or something to do with the government.

About me as a student:

I suck at taking tests. Well except for history tests.
I suck at math. Easily my worst subject followed by science.
I really have a limited choices of colleges simply because $$$$$$$$$$.

Next few posts will be about the realistic colleges, and the ones I'd go to if it wouldn't send me into debt for the rest of my life.

illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

First College:

University of Illinois
^^^^
tough one to guess right?

I've been to the campus a lot, I like it. Last visit I got to talk to James Augustine (long story short we walked out of a pizza place and almost slammed into him) and he made it sound like it was a fun college to be at. I don't mind the distance from home (about 4-5 hours). I really can't find anything wrong with it except for the fact that not many people from my class will be headed there (which doesn't really matter).

Right now my ACT puts me at the middle half, and it's a crapshoot as to whether I'll make it in. If I do get accepted unless I get some huge scholarship offer to play sports, this will be where I'm headed.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Second College:

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

This is where I'll be headed if I don't get into UofI. My dad went here but he's not really pressuring me into going there. We still have to schedule a visit for here and basically every other place except for UofI. They've sent me a lot of mail inviting me to open houses and I'm just trying to find time to slip it in in between baseball.

My ACT puts me at the Top Half, and I'd have to really mess up senior year to not get in.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Third College:

Northern Illinois University-Dekalb

Just another one but it's a little too close to home (45 minutes) and the college rep they sent to our high school seemed like a gay guy on crack who showed up 15 minutes late. A few of my friends want to go here but like SIU I need to schedule a visit. And my mom REALLY doesn't want me to go here.

ACT puts me at Top Half, and I'll get in if I aplly.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Fourth College:

Carthage

This is the last of realistic colleges and the most expensive. We had a baseball tournament there over the weekend, so I got to play on their baseball field and that was nice. The campus was also nice right on Lake Michigan. Really the only thing that is even making me consider Carthage is because they're about an hour away, and the campus was nice. The thing that has me going to SIU over this is $$$$$$.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Fourth College:

Carthage

This is the last of realistic colleges and the most expensive. We had a baseball tournament there over the weekend, so I got to play on their baseball field and that was nice. The campus was also nice right on Lake Michigan. Really the only thing that is even making me consider Carthage is because they're about an hour away, and the campus was nice. The thing that has me going to SIU over this is $$$$$$.

Carthage is a nice campus, but the advising is horrible.

Especially if you plan on going into teaching. The education advisor there is a total and complete dingbat.

Also, the dorms are really small and cramped. During a tour I took there back in '97, a military father commented, "Jesus, these things are even smaller than our barracks back in the day."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

And now my kind of "wish" colleges:

Northeastern University- Boston, MA
They sent me some mail, and their co-op thing with internships sounds like a good way to get into the workforce. Boston is a little far for a visit, but my uncle lives up there so I'll ask him if he can give me the lowdown.

Pepperdine University-Malibu, CA
A college overlooking Malibu. Need I say more? They sent me some mail, but $$$$ will stop me from going here.

Bowling Green
Really their mail is what got me even thinking about them. Their letter campaign is nice, showing me what classes I would have to take with each major.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #8
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:
First College:

University of Illinois
^^^^
tough one to guess right?

I've been to the campus a lot, I like it. Last visit I got to talk to James Augustine (long story short we walked out of a pizza place and almost slammed into him) and he made it sound like it was a fun college to be at. I don't mind the distance from home (about 4-5 hours). I really can't find anything wrong with it except for the fact that not many people from my class will be headed there (which doesn't really matter).

Right now my ACT puts me at the middle half, and it's a crapshoot as to whether I'll make it in. If I do get accepted unless I get some huge scholarship offer to play sports, this will be where I'm headed.

I'm assuming you already realize this, but if you decide to go to U of I, make sure that you are comfortable with a large student body/campus. Also, I haven't had the best experience with transferring from college to college. However, if you are pretty sure where you want to be this shouldn't be an issue. Best of luck to you.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:29 AM   #9
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Bowling Green
Really their mail is what got me even thinking about them. Their letter campaign is nice, showing me what classes I would have to take with each major.

I've had a lot of friends and former players go to BG, it's highly recommended by them. Plenty of partying too.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Shaef: Yeah I'd like to go to a bigger school, living in a small town my entire life is starting to wear thin.

Balldog: Thanks for the info.

Today I got 2 items in the mail from UofI one saying thanks for sending them my test scores and the other talking about making another visit.

I also got something from St. Joe's in PA but a private school in PA isn't really what I'm looking at. Although it did look like they had some nice financial aid packages/scholarships so if I did want to go I wouldn't have to give up my arms and legs to afford it.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
Munsonian
Mascot

Glad to see a dynasty like mine on the board--best of luck with your decision!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Thanks bud

Not much mail, we've got a visit lined up with Southern near the end of the month and we'll probably touch UofI again while we're there. Quincy University sent me something, but it'll just go with all the other colleges that I have no desire in attending. Otherwise just enjoying 4th of July break, and this weekend I have a baseball tournament in Upper Michigan.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

When I lived in Ohio, I had a few friends that were recent grads of Bowling Green (I'm assuming you are talking about the one in Ohio and not Kentucky?). They all really liked it there and missed it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Last update before my baseball tournament.

Got mail from Western Illinois - no desire and Butler University. Butler looked kind of cool, and I'll consider it and try to get out there for a visit.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I know what you did last summer!

muhahahaha
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #16
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Last update before my baseball tournament.

Got mail from Western Illinois - no desire and Butler University. Butler looked kind of cool, and I'll consider it and try to get out there for a visit.

Butler is expensive, small, and a city campus. I had a real good feel for it though back when I was going through all of this... But chose Indiana in the end...

-Chas
Chas in Cinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #17
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Scheduled a visit with SIU and UofI for July 21-22nd.

Got back from a 3 day baseball trip to Upper Michigan. We lost all 3 games but the coaches don't try to win, get everyone to play. Friday we played on the best field I have ever seen. I went 1-2 with 2 RBI's and a nice running catch in center.

Saturday we spent the day on Lake Superior, and I have sunburn on my chest, arms, and the top of my feet.

Sunday we played a team called Ishpeming. It sucked with the sunburn on the feet so the coaches took me out early in the first game. They put me back in near the end of the 2nd game and in the bottom of the 6th I ran full speed into the fence to make a catch in center. I have a pretty deep cut on my knee, and my face has a ton of scratches and my shoulder has a nasty scrap on it. Unfortunatly when we got back we had to put my cat to sleep which really sucked because he was 20, and he had been apart of my entire life. He had lost control of his bowels on Thursday so we brought him to the vet before I left Friday and the doctor gave him some medicine, so my mom stayed home and when we got home he couldn't stand up and his back legs stopped working. So we took him to the an emergency animal hospital and the doctor said she thought he might have a lesian in his spine but they would have to do a ton of tests on him, and we figured it was just his time to go and we didn't want to put him through more pain trying to figure out what was exactly wrong. So now for the first time in 17 years I came home to a petless house.