flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
thats the kind of insightful analysis i expect from ESPN caliber commentators

You make me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Awesome start to the tournament, but six more games go.
That sums up the overall sentiment in the Netherlands.

For the tournament it wasn't all that great that both sides scored a goal that never should have been. I'm willing to believe the best referees of the world are all here, which emphasizes how much in need they are of good technological assistance.

You write very coherently for someone who, by all rights, should be very drunk at this point.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #352
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
You write very coherently for someone who, by all rights, should be very drunk at this point.

Well, it was supposed to be in Dutch for an Oranje board.

HE'S WASTED
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-13-2014 at 07:05 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #353
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm all in for England tomorrow. First game in the jungle. Also, an interesting contrast of styles between Colombia and Greece
Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #354
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

whatever happened to Sebastián Zúńiga? He was as highly touted as Alexis Sanchez, and then....not. Now he's playing football in the 2nd division of Chile.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #355
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So umm...Buffon > Casillas??

He looked BADDDD today. Straight bad. He may still be the best Spanish GK but given that he wasn't really playing all year I think you can legitimately question why he's starting.

Probably the worst game of his entire career, so really it's not fair to dump him out of the Pantheon of "Top GKs" on just this game alone, but yeah...I wouldn't feel too confident with him back there right now.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-13-2014 at 08:44 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #356
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm all in for England tomorrow. First game in the jungle. Also, an interesting contrast of styles between Colombia and Greece

Pitch is gonna be shit. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the game.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #357
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Said to my brother, but will repeat here.

I dunno if the Dutch can last deep into the tournament given the respective ages of their skill players (Robb, Sneij, RVP), but if those guys are on (or 2/3 of them are on) that team can beat anybody on their day.

I was skeptical of the Dutch defense being so untested coming into the tournament, and given they weren't really tested much today so it's tough to tell if that'll be an issue or not against other squads.

I thought the Dutch did a great job controlling the game, never let Spain get into their rhythm and dictate play and start moving the ball around quickly. Much like Brazil yesterday, Spain just didn't seem "up for the match."
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #358
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What's the logic behind ESPN using Mexican commentators for the Mexico game's US broadcast?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #359
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What's the logic behind ESPN using Mexican commentators for the Mexico game's US broadcast?

A lot of Mexican-Americans that grew up with both cultures...speak mostly English but grew up rooting for El Tri. Maybe they hope some of those fans switch from Univision. I would assume that anyway.

Also, neither are Mexican. One is Salvadoran, and the other is Venezuelan.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
A lot of Mexican-Americans that grew up with both cultures...speak mostly English but grew up rooting for El Tri. Maybe they hope some of those fans switch from Univision. I would assume that anyway.

Also, neither are Mexican. One is Salvadoran, and the other is Venezuelan.

Fair enough. They certainly seemed...partisan enough to be Mexican though.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #361
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure we're going to have pro-American soccer comments made by the commentators for the US game. I think it's relatively fair that Mexico, which accounts for the homeland for a ton of soccer fans in this county (far more than any other country other than the US - and judging by ratings for Univision to ESPN, maybe more?) should be afforded the same.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #362
Icy
Pro Starter

Terrible game from Spain, Netherlands played as expected, 5 defences and aggressive in the midfield to hit Spain in the counter and it played perfectly.

The problem with Spain is that the coach is too stubborn and passive, he inherited a great team that won the Euro cup based on Barcelona players and style, made little changes and was more of a sports psychologist than real coach for the last 6 years to keep the old team glued. Then as Barcelona falls down, the national team does too.

The problem is when those players got older, Xavi for example that can't play a full game, Xavi Alonso played better, but is also getting old.

Then the forwards, Costa is strong, good with the head and really combative to become a good different option but not a top forward imho and not very different of the player he left at home on Llorente that had a nice season in Italy. Then he insisted in bringing in Torres who has not done anything for a while.

Casillas is another sample, has not played the whole year in the league, he did in the champions, but he has been the backup of Real Madrid (underserved imho) and needs match fitness and specially self confidence that he lacks right now being a backup.

Del Bosque promised when he become the national coach that he won't ever bring in a backup to the team, but then he did the exception for Casillas because he was the captain... and look how it went.

For the coach and based on his hints, this world cup was more of a "price" for the old players that won the 3 titles before, but hey, we can clap them for what they did, but if they are not hungry anymore, are too old, tired and out of shape, then bring in younger players that are both present and future.

Now being positive in this hard moment, we also started losing vs Suiza past WC and ended winning it, but we didn't lose on an embarrassing way that time as we did now that has probably devastated their moral. Either the players will rebound to recover their pride or will just go home fast as we used to do in the past. Let's hope the sport psychologist Del Bosque can give them the magical team talk (like in FM) because i don't think he is going to do much more in terms of lineups changes.

Last edited by Icy : 06-14-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #363
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
For the coach and based on his hints, this world cup was more of a "price" for the old players that won the 3 titles before, but hey, we can clap them for what they did, but if they are not hungry anymore, are too old, tired and out of shape, then bring in younger players that are both present and future.
Going into this tournament, with Barcelona's start of the downfall, it crossed my mind that Spain could have a similar campaign as France did in 2002 and Italy in 2010. Although I didn't expect it. Over here everybody was just hoping for a 0-0 draw against arguably the most successful bunch of players in (national teams) soccer history.

And as you pointed out, it's just one game. With two wins, Spain is still likely to get into the second round. The only scenario where that would fail is if Netherlands beats Australia and Chile beats the Netherlands.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-14-2014 at 03:39 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #364
MIJB#19
Coordinator

From FIFA.com's match report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIFA.com
After more Seleçăo pressure in the second-half, the hosts went ahead. The ball was played into the box towards Fred, who tried to swivel to hit it towards goal. He was impeded by Lovren and the referee pointed to the spot. Neymar stepped up, delayed his run-up, and hit hard to Pletikosa’s right-hand side. Croatia’s No1 got a hand to it, but could not stop it putting Brazil ahead.
From FIFA.com's match report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIFA.com
Spain did go ahead on 27 minutes though. Following a neat passing move, Costa cut inside Stefan de Vrij and was tripped. The referee pointed to the spot and Xabi Alonso’s low, firm penalty found the bottom corner.
It's bad enough the referees made those mistakes (and I think you can't really blame them personally), but FIFA deliberately omits what really happened and writes their own version of history.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #365
AlexB
Pro Starter

I dunno, personally I think the Spanish one was a pen. Think most would be miffed if your team didn't get that decision. Agree on the Brazil one though, soft at best.

You won 5-1, let the penalty decision go!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #366
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I adore how great these Google doodles are for each match
http://www.google.com/doodles#archive

Last edited by tucker rocky : 06-14-2014 at 05:12 AM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #367
Izulde
Head Coach

Those are great. Thanks for posting them.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #368
Edward64
Head Coach

Off-topic but somewhat related.

Why Qatar will likely be stripped of the 2022 World Cup—Commentary
Quote:
Four years later, FIFA is on the verge of stripping Qatar of the 2022 World Cup. FIFA has commissioned a broad investigation into allegations of corruption in the 2010 vote. Even before the results of FIFA's investigation were announced, Qatari billionaire Mohamed bin Hammam was accused by the Sunday Times Of London of paying millions of dollars in bribes.
:
:
Just yesterday, Jorge Ramos, dean of ESPN's Spanish-language news team covering soccer, tweeted that FIFA had approached U.S. Soccer and advised them to have their organizing committee ready in case FIFA withdrew the 2022 World Cup from Qatar. Ramos has since deleted the tweet and U.S. Soccer has denied that any approach has been made, but the soccer world is abuzz with anticipation. It appears that all of the stars are lining up to move the tournament.
:
:
Qatar's other problems

It's too hot. Qatar bakes under 110-degree desert heat during the summer, when the World Cup is traditionally played. Those temperatures would be dangerous for spectators, and could be deadly for players.

Air conditioning is not feasible. Qatar's bid was predicated upon building ten air conditioned open-air stadiums that would reduce temperatures to a cool 78 degrees. It turns out that air-conditioning technology is inadequate for the job. Qatar now expects to build non-air-conditioned venues that use traditional fans to alleviate the heat. But the new plan would call for the playing surface to be a sweltering 87 degrees.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #369
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

2 Things:

1 - How do you figure out what information to post so that the doodle can be posted?

2 - What about the intro doodle, it's pretty keen too!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #370
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's go Columbia!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #371
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Let's go Columbia!

National anthem was great.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #372
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

GOAL!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #373
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
So umm...Buffon > Casillas??

Italy captain Gianluigi Buffon out of England clash - ESPN FC

Buffon is out for the first game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #374
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Colombian crowd is amazing. Need to get Greece out of the tourney. Definitely wishing I had bought Colombia in the auction
Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #375
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
It turns out that air-conditioning technology is inadequate for the job. Qatar now expects to build non-air-conditioned venues that use traditional fans to alleviate the heat. But the new plan would call for the playing surface to be a sweltering 87 degrees.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, because we have advance technology that by just using fans we can bring the temps down for 110 to 87.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #376
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow Greece

Old 06-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #377
Izulde
Head Coach

Greece is playing better than I expected.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #378
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am very grateful for Columbia scoring in the 6th minute. It made a game with Greece being a very enjoyable affair with plenty of offense and flowing play (something which is rare with Greece).
Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #379
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, because we have advance technology that by just using fans we can bring the temps down for 110 to 87.

Well the thing that stuck out me was that they were concerned that even 87 would be "sweltering" - what do they think it is in Brazil right now?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #380
whomario
Pro Starter

Columbia has some serious depth at the striker position even with Falcao out.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #381
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yeah babY!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #382
Izulde
Head Coach

Nice exclamation point at the end there!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #383
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well the thing that stuck out me was that they were concerned that even 87 would be "sweltering" - what do they think it is in Brazil right now?

Don't forget that Brazil is just now entering winter.

Qatar has other problems beyond their climate. Like extremely limited alcohol. All those fans are going to be pretty pissed if they spend thousands of dollars to go to Doha and find out they can't party very hard there.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #384
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

GG Columbia. Even without Falcao.

But this whole "don't call me James, call me Hames" Rodriguez thing...fuck him. That's just ridiculous.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #385
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Yeah - I just heard that this morning. Apparently a "very very minor" twisted ankle.

Sirigu also has some busted up ribs though, which leaves me worried, because Perin is the 3rd GK, and as fun as he is to watch, his decision-making is not world-class yet. I think someday it will be, but it's not right now.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #386
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's have a fun match!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #387
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Good call on PK...Lugano was clearly tugged down and might have had a go at it.

Nice PK by Cavani.

Uruguay are fun, I'd love to see them make a little run.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-14-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #388
MIJB#19
Coordinator

A legit penalty, it's a miracle!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #389
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
A legit penalty, it's a miracle!

I think we can say with some certainty that "fouls in the box" was one thing the refs were told to call tight this WC in the pre-WC officials meeting.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #390
whomario
Pro Starter

what a save by Navas, wow !
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #391
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Great save by Navas there.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #392
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
what a save by Navas, wow !

Yeah, seriously! Whoa!!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #393
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Might just be my inner Juve fan, but Caceres is looking good out there. I like his game.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-14-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #394
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

COSTA RICAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #395
whomario
Pro Starter

great run and cross, then a very confident finish by Campbell. Has looked very good all game, too.

Uruguay just looking to get by with minimal effort, lets see if they can flip the switch here.

Ruiz might be the slowest player in the tournament, jeez ... Would have been a typical No 10 back in the 70s, but nowadays ...

Last edited by whomario : 06-14-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #396
kingfc22
Head Coach

Was just commenting that this game was lacking any energy and bam, a nice goal by the Ticos.

Hopefully the game picks up a bit more now.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #397
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - GOAL TWO BABY!!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #398
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Um whoa - the Ticos came to play.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #399
whomario
Pro Starter

And another breakdown on a set piece, wow ...
Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #400
kingfc22
Head Coach

Nice finish on that one!