Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
merry
Mascot

Jaguars New GM

Hi,
I'm Merry and just picked up Jacksonville. I know it will take me a while to understand FOWL.
I'm happy to be here and look forward to chatting with you.
I often ask lots of questions. If there are to many just tell me.
My first question is: "What does FOWL teach a GM better than the other leagues?"
Thanks,
Merry
JAGS

merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
Sef0r
n00b

Oh yes, welcome Merry, we play in the PFL and I am happy to have you in my division. I run the Huntington Texans (Franchise move, I am getting use to the area...hehehe)

You can ask any question and I am sure we can answer.

First off, FOWL teaches you that no price is too steep for a FA or rookie FA. Aside from bidding for your own RFAs in FA1:1 (this stage covers ALL FA1 sims), you get your chance to buy FAs in the FA2 stages. The draft is simmed and you don't get to see this, you just end up with the crappy players which can I suggest DONT SIGN them to anything. Just let them re enter the draft.

During the FA2:1, FA2:2 and FA2:3-5 sims (weeks 3 to 5 are simmed together since most rookies and FAs sign in week 3) you can bid on anyone. And let me tell you, cap management is important.

Look at this pick up as an example.

Baltimore picked up this LT for a 6 year $108 mil contract.
RT Tyrell Cropp Player Details

And of course I just missed out on WR Thurman Lavigne that you picked up for 3 years 20 mil, I offered 4 years 27 mil but your bonus must have been higher.

Also, if you haven't fielded a team after FA2:3-5 just remember you can sign ANY TYPE OF DEAL during the Training Camp sim. So you can just pick up some scrubs for 1 year minimum deals. The 3 year deal rule only applies during the FA2:1-5 stages.

You can negotiate contracts any time, no rule having to renegotiate on their final year. You can structure the contract in any way, like offer the 2nd and 3rd years the maximum you can.

Thats about all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

Last edited by Sef0r : 08-10-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

Always, always remember this:

If you fail to sign someone you wanted, or you fail in your season as a whole, the next one is just about a week away!

Last edited by Tasan : 08-10-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry View Post
"What does FOWL teach a GM better than the other leagues?"
FOWL is a sandbox league. It moves so quickly that you can afford to take risks and see what does and doesn't work. As Tasan points out, if you fail, the next cycle is just a week away.

With this format you would think that having an attachment to your players would be difficult, but in my experience the attachment is still pretty strong. You are really focusing on a core of 25 or so players that you want to try and keep together as long as possible.

Anyway - this league really helps with rookie talent valuation. You don't get the right to have anyone - you have to properly value a player and bid on them.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
TheMeat
n00b

I would say, that compared to other draft-based leagues, the FOWL teaches one main thing: Cap Management.

Cap Managment is so easy in the PFL (of which me and Merry are members) that it is almost a non-issue, here the better teams will be striving to use every cent of cap room to aquire and preserve talent, since a fresh crop of said talent is available to anyone with enough coin to buy it, every year.

Welcome merry, glad to have you aboard!
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote