Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2003, 12:11 AM   #551
bbor
Pro Starter

Wild will go down 3-0....then win 4 straight to get to the final.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:24 AM   #552
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

in other news, Dan Cloutier still isn't a good goaltender.

I'd like to see him and Roman Cechmanek on a team together - they could alternate their big-game meltdowns
Old 05-09-2003, 12:28 AM   #553
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hell, you'd think Chris Osgood and Roman Turek were giving lessons.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:37 AM   #554
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Hell, you'd think Chris Osgood and Roman Turek were giving lessons.

SI

but I like Osgood and Turek.
I still think Turek is a stellar goaltender just waiting to happen.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:21 AM   #555
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Go Wild.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:32 AM   #556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that does it for the Canadian hope (two Canuck teams in the finals... no pun intended ). Well, they can root for Minny... that ain't too far from Canada .
Old 05-09-2003, 06:14 AM   #557
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, good to see Bertuzzi is taking responsibility for his actions. Not sure if any of you saw the post game interview, but he called his penalty call a load of BS, that there was much worse stuff going on.

Now Todd, cross checking a defenseman into his own goalie while the puck isn't even within 20 feet of you isn't what you'd call a tic or a spasm, or anything of the such. Grow up, be a man, admit you screwed up, then try again. Cloutier is going to get a lot of the blame for this series, but I wonder what would have happened had the score stayed 3-2 (and they came agonizingly close to killing that sucker off too).
Old 05-09-2003, 08:14 AM   #558
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

That's funny! Bertuzzi clearly pushed Zyuzen into Roli. Look, we all know reffing in the playoffs is a crapshoot, but, look at the 2 high sticking calls that were not called? I would say to Canuck players and fans, you were up 3 games to 1, don't start blaming the refs for your inability to finish off a series. Of course it is hard to play when your hands are around your throat.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:48 AM   #559
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really doubt that one gets called, you know, unless you're stupid enough to cross check the guy into the goalie. Had he done that nearly anywhere else on the ice at that point, the refs more than likely let it go, but he forced them to call him.

And now to call it a BS call, well, hey, he'll have lots of time and sympathetic ears to complain to on the links now.

Go Sens!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #560
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
I really doubt that one gets called, you know, unless you're stupid enough to cross check the guy into the goalie. Had he done that nearly anywhere else on the ice at that point, the refs more than likely let it go, but he forced them to call him.

I agree, if he had done that anywhere else on the ice, but to shove him into the goalie cost him.

Well, 1 Canadian team left to knock out, Go Devils!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #561
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, good to see Bertuzzi is taking responsibility for his actions. Not sure if any of you saw the post game interview, but he called his penalty call a load of BS, that there was much worse stuff going on.
My only problem with the call was that the ref close to the play didn't seem to call it right away. It was if they saw Roloson was hurt, then decided to give a penalty after the fact.

Still, the way the Wild were going I doubt it would have mattered. I'm incredibly impressed with this team... I knew they'd be good defensively, but they're far faster than I ever thought they'd be.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #562
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Unreal. Nice job by the Wild.

Oh Blues, what could have been.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:11 AM   #563
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I have the Wild over the Ducks in 5. Although to stick with history, let's say 7.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #564
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
My only problem with the call was that the ref close to the play didn't seem to call it right away. It was if they saw Roloson was hurt, then decided to give a penalty after the fact.

But, was it a penalty? It was called and it certainly was a penalty(IMO), so Bertuzzi and the Canucks should just suck it up and move on.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:15 AM   #565
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Ducks are going to the cup, I believe.

Can Anaheim go 2-2 in championships?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #566
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
Oh Blues, what could have been.

I'll bet there are a ton of Wings, Stars, and Avs fans thinking the same thing right now as well. I wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten on the 6 and 7 seeds advancing to the conference final. Off the top of my head, I can't think of two seeds this low advancing to the conference finals since the league went to 1-8 seeding in the 90's. Kudos to Jacques Lemaire, he did it at New Jersey and now he is doing it again with a team nobody gave a chance of winning. Definitely one of the top coaching jobs of the last decade or so.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #567
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
The Ducks are going to the cup, I believe.

Can Anaheim go 2-2 in championships?

Todd

I think no matter who gets to the Finals, the Eastern team is going to win it. I'm cheering for whoever comes out of the west, either Minnesota or Anaheim. I've always enjoyed Kariya, and how can you not like JSG, what a highlight maker.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:41 AM   #568
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
I've always enjoyed Kariya, and how can you not like JSG, what a highlight maker.

Well I for one was not too big on Giguere after the first round was done but he is a hotter than hell this year, I think the Ducks take this series in six.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:44 AM   #569
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Well I for one was not too big on Giguere after the first round was done but he is a hotter than hell this year, I think the Ducks take this series in six.

I can understand that!

I think having those days off will help the Ducks, and the Wild can not afford to fall behind in this series, or the Ducks will finish them fast.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #570
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
the Wild can not afford to fall behind in this series, or the Ducks will finish them fast.

Because the Wild have no track record of coming back from behind in a series, right? Seriously though, I agree with you, Detroit and Dallas both fell into quick holes against the Ducks and couldn't pull out of them, I doubt the Wild could this time. I didn't think they could come back from 3-1 twice in a playoff season, I REALLY doubt they could do it three times.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #571
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Ducks-Wild series will be interesting. Both teams have played exceptionally well. The Ducks are, what, 8-2? The Wild have become the Rasputin of the NHL. And besides playing well, the hockey gods have been smiling on both teams. You need to have that to advance in the playoffs, even the "great" teams need it. Who will the hockey gods choose?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:07 AM   #572
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Oh yeah, Canada, you will have your Saturday night Hockey game.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:43 AM   #573
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, 1 Canadian team left to knock out, Go Devils!

Anti-Canadianism?

Glass houses i guess

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #574
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I think that should be anti-Canadianness.

Or anti-disCanadiantarianism.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:48 AM   #575
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Or anti-disCanadiantarianism.

Don't two negatives make a positive?

I will watch it...but i dread a Wild/Devils cup final.

It would truly be a showcase for all that is wrong in hockey(on ice)

They could set the record for least goals scored in a stanley cup series and most periods played in a stanley cup series.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:57 AM   #576
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Anti-Canadianism?

Glass houses i guess

I was waiting for that!

According to what I've seen here, you are supposed to cheer for teams from your country, so, following that, I will no longer cheer for the Canadian teams I cheered for in the past.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #577
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Don't two negatives make a positive?

I will watch it...but i dread a Wild/Devils cup final.

It would truly be a showcase for all that is wrong in hockey(on ice)

They could set the record for least goals scored in a stanley cup series and most periods played in a stanley cup series.

How many goals did Minnesota score against Vancouver? Vancouver is the team that tried to slow the game down by mucking things up in the neutral zone, not Minnesota.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:00 PM   #578
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was waiting for that!

According to what I've seen here, you are supposed to cheer for teams from your country, so, following that, I will no longer cheer for the Canadian teams I cheered for in the past.

It depends on which canadian teams you cheered for......if it was Toronto,Toronto...or Toronto...you'd be o.k

I don't think there is gonna be a Saturday night game....i think the game is on Saturday afternoon...but i may be wrong?

Old 05-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #579
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
But, was it a penalty? It was called and it certainly was a penalty(IMO), so Bertuzzi and the Canucks should just suck it up and move on.
If the ref didn't think it was a penalty when it happened, it shouldn't be one thirty seconds later. That said, if you're asking my opinion, yes I think it was a penalty. So they really have nothing to complain about.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #580
Karim
College Starter

Anaheim vs. Minnesota @ 3PM ET.
New Jersey vs. Ottawa @ 7PM ET.

So which of Anaheim or Minnesota is the Cinderella team? I personally will be cheering for the Wild. I think it would be quite the statement if the team with the lowest payroll can make the finals.

BTW, how is Roloson's groin? I hope he's healthy because I wouldn't have the same confidence in Fernandez.

Is Walz the fastest player in the NHL? Wow...

Is Ottawa as good as the experts up here have been saying? I still have my doubts. They'll have to win it all, before they can be considered elite. I'd still be afraid of any trapping team with Lagenbrunner, Madden, Elias, Nieuwendyk, Gomez, Rafalski, Niedermayer, Stevens, backed by Brodeur and coached by Pat Burns in his first year.

When is the last time a 6th vs. 7th seed played in a Conference Final?

Interesting playoffs...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:28 PM   #581
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is an incredibly interesting playoffs! And not just a little bit because it includes my team! Go Ducks!

Okay, about the time the Stanley Cup was being given to the Wings last year, who would have thought that in less than a year's time, teams from Anaheim and Minnesota would meet in two different sports for a league/conference championshp? Yeah, that's what I thought.

This series looks like it's going to be tough to call. Either team can win it. Both teams have been very opportunistic in scoring goals, and that kind of thing can dry up quickly for either team (depending once again on how the hockey gods look at this one). Both teams play fine defense. Ironically, the Wild look like they are faster (Anaheim used to be known, if for little else, because of its speed; now that guys like Selanne, Friesen, Cullen, Tverdosky, etc. are no longer on the team, they are much more of a conventional team in this way). Anaheim seems to have the hottest goalie. The Wild play great D from the neutral zone in. The Ducks have a very, very good forecheck. Ducks do seem to have more playoff-experienced players, not that that has mattered much so far in these playoffs. The teams both finished with 95 points in the regular season (Wild getting the #6 seed by virtue of two more wins) and they skated to a 2-2 season series. The scores? 1-0 ANA, 4-1 MIN, 1-0 ANA, 2-1 MIN (OT).

This is just going to be so unbelievably close. Go Ducks!

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:10 PM   #582
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i dread a Wild/Devils cup final.

I RELISH IT! Lemaire battling his old team in Lord Stanley's Finals. I'll watch every minute of two great defensive teams with very, very underrated offenses.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #583
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just to point out, the Wild have scored a lot, and I mean A LOT more goals than Anaheim thus far, and the Devils, over the last 3-5 years have one of the highest per game goal rates in the entire NHL. So I doubt a Wild/NJ Stanley Cup would be a low scoring affair unless both goalies play their asses off (which one or the other probably would). That being said, if the Wild make the Cup Finals, I'm hoping they give up the first goal every game so they play a little more wide open and use their speed instead of getting the lead and shutting things down.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:36 PM   #584
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great win by the Wild last night. The Anahiem, Minnesota series is going to be awesome!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:48 PM   #585
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just to point out, the Wild have scored a lot, and I mean A LOT more goals than Anaheim thus far...

Hmmm...you're right with regards to the playoffs, but I don't think the Wild is as dominating offensively over the Ducks as you might think.

The actual playoff goal count right now is 42 to 24 for the Wild. But the Wild have played 14 games and the Ducks have only played 10. As a result, the Wild's per-game average in the playoffs is a less intimidating 3.0 goals per game to 2.4 goals per game by Anaheim.

Then in the regular season, the Ducks actually outscored the Wild 203 to 198. Sure, it's close, but I'm just trying to point out that if you think the Wild are some dominant offensive team compared to the Ducks, you might be misinformed.

For the whole season and playoffs, the Wild have scored 240 goals in 96 games, for 2.50 goals per game. The Ducks have scored 227 goals in 92 games, for 2.47 goals per game. This is getting closer each time I do the numbers!

Now consider that the Ducks allowed just 20 total goals, a 2.0 goals per game average, to the #1 and #5 scoring regular season teams in the Western Conference, while the Wild allowed 34 goals, a 2.4 goals per game average, to the #2 and #4 scoring teams (a wash for the most part with regards to quality offensive opposition). Then consider that the Ducks did their scoring in the playoffs against Dallas and Detroit, with a weighted 2.23 goals allowed per game average, while the Wild faced off with Colorado and Vancouver, good for a 2.45 goals allowed per game average.

I just don't see there being a whole lot of factual evidence to support the idea that the Wild are a much better scoring team than the Ducks. Not to say that the other poster is right in that a Wild-Devils Cup finals would be boring (I actually think it would be a lot of fun, with some intense, quick-paced, and tight-hitting games), but if you're basing any of your response to him on the idea that the Wild are so much of a better offensive team than the Ducks, then I assure you, the numbers don't agree with you.

My apologies for being a Ducks fan with an eye for stats.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:05 PM   #586
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Down with the Ducks! Go Wild!

Not sour grapes, I assure you.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:00 AM   #587
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I know that I will be cheering for whoever wins the west, though I do think NJ is the team to beat at this point.

I'll cheer for the Wild, but won't be too disappointed if the Ducks win.

I hope that Selanne goes back there, I always enjoyed the Kariya-Selanne pairing.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #588
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
if you're basing any of your response to him on the idea that the Wild are so much of a better offensive team than the Ducks, then I assure you, the numbers don't agree with you.

I don't think that was it at all. He was just pointing out that the Wild and Devils are better offensively than some people think.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #589
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, looks like only 1 goal will be scored in this game! OT again!

JSG has been fabulous, what a show that guy puts on.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #590
henry296
College Starter

will the game end before the next one starts?

Todd
Old 05-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #591
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'll also be cheering for whoever wins the West.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #592
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
I don't think that was it at all. He was just pointing out that the Wild and Devils are better offensively than some people think.

That was actually my point exactly. That, and while the numbers were stacking up like that, you were using games played, not periods played in the playoffs, these Ducks seem to love extended OT's more than I love naked women (which, judging from my recent download list is quite a lot )
Old 05-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #593
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone else think JSG makes showcase saves like Hasek used to?
Old 05-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #594
bbor
Pro Starter

Dude is play off MVP even if the Ducks don't win the cup...how can they not give it to him??

Old 05-11-2003, 02:01 AM   #595
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I gotta say I was less than underwhelmed by the offense shown today. I think we may be in for that dreadful defense series. Nothing more fun that watching dueling traps

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:55 AM   #596
tucker342
Pro Starter

Two great games today...

It's looking like a good semifinals.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:17 PM   #597
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Random thoughts:

- that Ducks/Wild game was awful. I love the drama of OT and the Giguere save is an all-time great one, but otherwise just no redeeming qualities. I hope they were "feeling each other out" and are going to actually play some hockey from here on in

- the Devils may have missed their best chance to get an edge on Ottawa last night. I think the Sens win this one in five or six games, and sweep whoever they meet in the finals

- I know most of you are American and don't really care about the World Championships, but the ending to the final today was one of the most dramatic sports moments I've seen in years.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:43 PM   #598
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I really don't understand what you mean by not playing hockey, the Wild/Ducks game was filled with scoring chances, the Wild just couldn't get anything past JSG.

What does being American have to do with not following the Championships? Either you follow hockey or you don't. That would be like saying I know you're Canadian, but the Super Bowl was held today.

What's up with the 4 on 4 format? What a way to decide a "World" championship.

I still think they should be held during training camp when more players would want to play.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:00 PM   #599
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I really don't understand what you mean by not playing hockey, the Wild/Ducks game was filled with scoring chances, the Wild just couldn't get anything past JSG.

What does being American have to do with not following the Championships? Either you follow hockey or you don't. That would be like saying I know you're Canadian, but the Super Bowl was held today.

What's up with the 4 on 4 format? What a way to decide a "World" championship.

I still think they should be held during training camp when more players would want to play.

Hey, just think, had it gone another 8 minutes or so, it would have been down to a shoot out, an even better way to decide it.

Give them a few years though and it'll be different again, last time Canada won the gold, it was a best of 3 series, and now it's a 1 game deal, so they very well could switch it to a 5 on 5 unlimited OT format (heh, I wish).

And no way it'll ever be held that close to the start of the NHL season because of the possibility of injuries carrying over into the season. I can't see it changing time as you obviously can't go earlier, and to try and wait until after the Cup finals, you'd have NHL players that would be off their skates for a couple of months, so would be nice and rusty, while those just completing a Cup run would be exhausted and wouldn't want to play, so you'd end up with a team of guys eliminated in the 2nd and 3rd rounds probably.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #600
tucker342
Pro Starter

Any of those ideas is better than having it at the end of the season like they do now.