Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #51
Terps
College Prospect

Dola, it's 1927, 1955, 1975 and 1986 that you can start in.

Edit - Assuming you play with real players.

Last edited by Terps : 05-23-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #52
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I played the demo (despite buying the released version) because I liked starting at 1.1. The demo stopped for me one week into the second regular season.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #53
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I played the demo (despite buying the released version) because I liked starting at 1.1. The demo stopped for me one week into the second regular season.

So basically you can play a season and go through spring training of the next. That's pretty sweet. Should give everyone a pretty good feel for the game.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #54
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Can you play the current season in the demo?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #55
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Can you play the current season in the demo?

Not with real players, no.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #56
henry296
College Starter

Even with the real game you must start with the 2005 season and 2006.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #57
moriarty
College Starter

One minor thing I saw in the demo:

On the PSPN report, there was a note about a guy hitting a walkoff homer to win the game, but it listed his batting average as .000. When I clicked on the player card it showed his correct average of .122
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #58
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Not with real players, no.

That was my only reason to not to buy it finally and wait for ootp. When i buy a sport text sim for a pro sport i always play with real and current players and i only play fictional when i'm tired of playing with real players. I know this is not related to the game author but to the mod guys, but those mod guys are usually unnoficially helped by the developers to have the real rosters just after the game is released (example, primelord's rosters and FOF).

Last edited by Icy : 05-25-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
That was my only reason to not to buy it finally and wait for ootp. When i buy a sport text sim for a pro sport i always play with real and current players and i only play fictional when i'm tired of playing with real players. I know this is not related to the game author but to the mod guys, but those mod guys are usually unnoficially helped by the developers to have the real rosters just after the game is released (example, primelord's rosters and FOF).

but the real rosters are in the release game through the Lahman DB Icy. They're just not included in the demo.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #60
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
but the real rosters are in the release game through the Lahman DB Icy. They're just not included in the demo.

Not opening day/spring training rosters though, which is what I'm sure most guys are interested in.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #61
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Not opening day/spring training rosters though, which is what I'm sure most guys are interested in.

blah. so 2005 rosters are. which is fine by me. and i'm sure someone will have a template up (if there isnt one already) with opening day/spring training rosters for 06. i just havn't bothered to look as I've enjoyed starting in 05 just fine.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #62
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

Exactly, i'm always seasonal for new games. If the game would have been released 4 months ago, before the new season started, 2005 rosters would have been ok for me. But now that the season is running, i want to take over a team with real rosters, in fact i'm waiting for ootp to start the season with the 2006 Marlins, a crap team that will be so fun to rebuild. Real players/teams/finances help me a lot to get into new games, as i said before, i don't play fictional until i'm tired of playing with real rosters.

About replaying season from 10 years ago, well i don't trust enought the database converting from ootp or Puresim. I always have the feeling that the stats are not translated into ratings properly. Probably i'm wrong as lots of guys play ootp or puresim that way, but it's how i feel. Maybe i should give it a shoot.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #63
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
About replaying season from 10 years ago, well i don't trust enought the database converting from ootp or Puresim. I always have the feeling that the stats are not translated into ratings properly. Probably i'm wrong as lots of guys play ootp or puresim that way, but it's how i feel. Maybe i should give it a shoot.

I feel the same way. I'm most concerned with how incoming players' ratings are handled and how they enter the league. Just not my style.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #64
moriarty
College Starter

One thing I don't like that I think Bee mentioned earlier is that it doesn't look like the historical records are brought in when you use real players (e.g. everyone looks like a rookie). Sure you can back up 10 years and simulate forward, but I'd like to start a season with say Bonds 8 homeruns behind Ruth or something.

Is there any option for enabling this or do you just start out with no historical records regardless?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
One thing I don't like that I think Bee mentioned earlier is that it doesn't look like the historical records are brought in when you use real players (e.g. everyone looks like a rookie). Sure you can back up 10 years and simulate forward, but I'd like to start a season with say Bonds 8 homeruns behind Ruth or something.

Is there any option for enabling this or do you just start out with no historical records regardless?

it's there in there on one of the tabs on the player card (Real MLB Stats it's titled ) although I agree with you it would be nice to see that right on the main player card so you could have a continuous career total for a player (as is now the "Real MLB Stats" card has everything up to 2005 and everything after is on the "Career Stats" card).
Old 05-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #66
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
it's there in there on one of the tabs on the player card (Real MLB Stats it's titled ) although I agree with you it would be nice to see that right on the main player card so you could have a continuous career total for a player (as is now the "Real MLB Stats" card has everything up to 2005 and everything after is on the "Career Stats" card).

Although the real stats are imported they are not counted towards career totals. Therefore, if you start in 2005 then Bonds career starts for the record book/almanac will only include 2005 and on.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #67
Bad-example
College Starter

The official demo was released today. Get it here http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=329
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #68
Galaril
Pro Starter

I bought this on day one and played around with it and in fact really like it. But, I am quite surprised no one has put together a 2006 roster set for the gameand one doesn't look to becoming . I could do it myself, I guess if i had the skill or patience I suppose..................It's juts that it's been out for over a week or not haiving a current 2006 roster has really killed my enthusiasm for this one. I didn't think this would be a factor but I was wrong. I think it is because initial I am intereste in this season not 1897 or 1997 for that matter. That being said ,I know there are aton of people playing this in historical replay of years long past so I am in the minority. I didn't expect Shaun to put 2006 roster together however, I expecteding more 3rd party type support for this. I said I wasn't going to buy SI baseball game OOTP 7 but, I might have to as things are looking.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #69
voltaris
n00b

Has anybody else had a problem with the game crashing to the desktop? I spent the time going through all the screens and I like the depth of this game. I started a game and was just watching PBP and in the sixth inning a player hit a homerun and the game crashed to the desktop. I am thinking it had to do with the program looking for a wmv file for the sound. It worked fine fine for the first homerun, but the game crashed after the second homerun. I have only played one actual game but the game crashed so I haven't really tried to continue playing this game.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #70
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaris
Has anybody else had a problem with the game crashing to the desktop? I spent the time going through all the screens and I like the depth of this game. I started a game and was just watching PBP and in the sixth inning a player hit a homerun and the game crashed to the desktop. I am thinking it had to do with the program looking for a wmv file for the sound. It worked fine fine for the first homerun, but the game crashed after the second homerun. I have only played one actual game but the game crashed so I haven't really tried to continue playing this game.

With the demo Shaun linked, I've had no issues w/ CTD. Sorry.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #71
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I bought this on day one and played around with it and in fact really like it. But, I am quite surprised no one has put together a 2006 roster set for the gameand one doesn't look to becoming . I could do it myself, I guess if i had the skill or patience I suppose..................It's juts that it's been out for over a week or not haiving a current 2006 roster has really killed my enthusiasm for this one. I didn't think this would be a factor but I was wrong. I think it is because initial I am intereste in this season not 1897 or 1997 for that matter. That being said ,I know there are aton of people playing this in historical replay of years long past so I am in the minority. I didn't expect Shaun to put 2006 roster together however, I expecteding more 3rd party type support for this. I said I wasn't going to buy SI baseball game OOTP 7 but, I might have to as things are looking.

I expect to have a 2006 Roster on my site in the coming week or so.

Al

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/P...Mods/Main.html
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #72
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104
I expect to have a 2006 Roster on my site in the coming week or so.

Al

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/P...Mods/Main.html

You my friend are my hero. Awesome news.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote