Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Yamahama (OOTP 9 Scouting?)

WTF? This is the first player I clicked on - he's 4th all time in home runs. I'm guessing that is scouting changes as the ratings go up and down? Look at the stats he put up during these seasons..... makes no sense at all that the scouting would bounce around, unless they have scouts that can't read HR totals?

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...yer_11204.html

01-01-2014 OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 71 (85); Power: 57 (76); Eye: 78 (119).
01-01-2015 OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 44 (49); Power: 66 (74); Eye: 42 (54).
01-01-2016 OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 43 (46); Power: 116 (124); Eye: 107 (122).
01-01-2017 OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 69 (70); Power: 55 (57); Eye: 58 (62).
01-01-2018 OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 85 (85); Power: 58 (58); Eye: 54 (56).
01-01-2019 OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 55 (55); Power: 127 (127); Eye: 96 (100).

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Does he make good motorcycles is what I want to know.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Those are HUGE jumps.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Those are HUGE jumps.

Per Markus it's because the SISA scouting is bad. Per me it's because scouting is still as poorly implemented as ever.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I would say SISA scouting should get more accurate with the player's experience. After 5 years in the league, you should have a fair idea of the player's skill, even if it's just by looking at his stats. Even a 6 year old kid could tell you that this player has good power at that point, so why shouldn't SISA?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

In some other thread I talked about my Whatifsports.com dynasty team...that's one of the scouting features. While guys are young, the projected ratings you see are a function of how much you've spent on scouting. When most players hit 27-ish, current and projected ratings match up and everyone sees the same ratings. You also have some separation between the ratings in the cases of players who never had the opportunity to "develop" or encountered injuries that prevented them from reaching their potential.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Per Markus it's because the SISA scouting is bad. Per me it's because scouting is still as poorly implemented as ever.

Or development.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
In some other thread I talked about my Whatifsports.com dynasty team...that's one of the scouting features. While guys are young, the projected ratings you see are a function of how much you've spent on scouting. When most players hit 27-ish, current and projected ratings match up and everyone sees the same ratings. You also have some separation between the ratings in the cases of players who never had the opportunity to "develop" or encountered injuries that prevented them from reaching their potential.

All well and good, but if the ratings jump around that much, it's a completely worthless feature. Just because I didn't spend all that much, my scout thinks he has scrub power one year and then 40 HR power the next (and then back to being a scrub for some reason)? Are these scouts legally retarded? I can't get any sort of a read, other than the facts my scouts absolutely blow and I'd be better off just rolling a dice.

It's a nice idea if it's implemented properly, but it hasn't been in the past, and looking like it isn't this year either. I imagine that 98% of the customer base will be playing with it turned off as usual.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
All well and good, but if the ratings jump around that much, it's a completely worthless feature. Just because I didn't spend all that much, my scout thinks he has scrub power one year and then 40 HR power the next (and then back to being a scrub for some reason)? Are these scouts legally retarded? I can't get any sort of a read, other than the facts my scouts absolutely blow and I'd be better off just rolling a dice.

It's a nice idea if it's implemented properly, but it hasn't been in the past, and looking like it isn't this year either. I imagine that 98% of the customer base will be playing with it turned off as usual.

I agree with all that- but would add that it appears that these are not your paid scout's ratings- but SISA- which were bad last year- and by all accounts appear to be worse this year- almost worse than worthless; you'd be better off without them- and might make a bad personnell decision (or the AI might) if using these ratings to make roster decisions.

I'm all for the scouting being less than an exact science- but this type of rating's skew- especially given past history defy's all logic. I respect Markus' dedication to his craft as much as anyone- but if this is the end result of an overhauled scouting system- than it's extremely poorly implemented. Without even knowing the code it's completely obvious that the scouting and performance (at least in this example) are completely unrelated.....How can that be? Shouldn't the standard deviation of the scouting accuracy vs. actual ability decrease as performance (year by year) reveals the skill set?.......This depresses me.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

I have no idea how OOTP works. I was just sharing a system in another game that I thought worked well, and worked intelligently.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Atocep
Coordinator

This is depressing to see, but is exactly the reason I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker and blindly pre-ordering or purchasing this time around. I've bought every version since 3 the day it was released, but Markus won't get my money for this version unless the serious issues from past versions are fixed. Judging from this, I'll be holding onto my money.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is depressing to see, but is exactly the reason I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker and blindly pre-ordering or purchasing this time around. I've bought every version since 3 the day it was released, but Markus won't get my money for this version unless the serious issues from past versions are fixed. Judging from this, I'll be holding onto my money.

I haven't played OOTP for quite a few years. If you turn off the scouting feature, as someone said you can do earlier in this thread, does this completely avoid this problem?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I believe if you turn off scouts, you see actual ratings.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Most people who play a lot solo will play with coaches and scouts off. OOTP9 is probably the most developed of the series. Far from perfect, still has some rough edges, but...I'd say that it should be the most playable version of the game on release day since 6.5.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #15
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

In case you have not noticed, but in the meantime I have tweaked the OSA ratings, these zig-zag jumps are no longer present
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
In case you have not noticed, but in the meantime I have tweaked the OSA ratings, these zig-zag jumps are no longer present

I looked at some of the newer HTML that Ben posted and it does look better from what I can see. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I hope to get some newer HTML up before the weekend is up...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I looked at some of the newer HTML that Ben posted and it does look better from what I can see. Thanks for listening.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Most people who play a lot solo will play with coaches and scouts off. OOTP9 is probably the most developed of the series. Far from perfect, still has some rough edges, but...I'd say that it should be the most playable version of the game on release day since 6.5.

With the new scouting system and coaching signing system, this will be my first version since v5 that I will use coaches and scouts again.