Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Celeval
Pro Starter

Baseball Mogul 2007 gets serious

Aside from the (to me) extremely annoying habit of releasing "2007" games in 1Q 2006, here's a rundown of the features...
  • NEW Animated Play-By-Play! All-new in-game Manager Mode lets you call plays and make substitutions as if you were in the dugout. Or retire to the owner's box and let your coaches and players control the action. It's up to you!
  • NEW Pitch-By-Pitch Mode! Fully interactive pitch-by-pitch mode puts you in complete control of the game. New graphical batting and pitching interface gives you pinpoint control over each pitch. Brush back the batter with an inside fastball, then put him away with a splitter in the dirt.
  • NEW Custom Pitcher Database! Sports Mogul unveils a 30,000 line database with data for over 1,200 pitchers that you can't find anywhere else. Includes individually researched ratings for every pitch in each pitcher's arsenal, going back to 1901. From Gaylord Perry's spitball to Daisuke Matsuzaka's "Gyroball", Baseball Mogul 2007 is the most complete baseball simulation you can buy.
  • NEW Lefty-Righty Stats! Baseball Mogul 2007 tracks every match-up. Whether you are pinch-hitting in the 9th or trading for someone to platoon with your left-handed outfielder, Baseball Mogul 2007 puts all the data at your fingertips. Every scouting report includes lefty/righty splits, plus a skill breakdown against each type of pitcher (or hitter).
  • NEW Tradezilla! Redesigned aritificial intelligence built with evolutionary algorithms. Smarter computer opponents and new 'Waiver Wire' and 'Trading Block' features give you the challenges as a major league General Manager.
  • NEW Batter Rating System! Travis Hafner's ability to get around on the game's best fastballs. Manny Ramirez feasting on curveballs. Baseball Mogul 2007 features new scouting data for every better to create maximum realism and strategy.
  • NEW Minor League Simulation Engine! Every pitch from AAA to High School is realistically simulated for the entire league. New research for this year includes improved player development and aging algorithms. A "career graph" for every player tracking their major-league equivalent progress from draft-day until retirement.
  • NEW 12-Point Personality Profiles for every player and every team. Each profile affects contract negotiations. And, as an optional setting, personalities can impact on-field performance and team chemistry.
  • NEW 2006 Rosters! Off-season moves, free agent signings and trades. Detailed career stats, ratings, contracts and projections as of Opening Day. Plus personalized data for over 1,500 minor leaguers. Free updated rosters available during the season.
  • NEW Roster Tools! Baseball Mogul 2007 includes new tools for creating, editing and tweaking your own custom rosters. Cut-and-paste players from any season. Add players from your favorite college and high school teams. Mogul makes it easy to customize your baseball universe to run a league or just to share with friends.
  • Exclusive Licensee of the Sean Lahman Baseball Database! Includes more than 10,000 players from 1901 to 2006. You can play as any team in any year, with a revamped pitch-by-pitch simulation engine accurately modelling each historical era.
  • Faster Simulation Speed! It wouldn't be Baseball Mogul if you had to take a bathroom break while the season progressed. Baseball Mogul 2007 can play a full season, including all computer trades and roster moves, in under 30 seconds.
  • Improved News Stories and Expanded Box Scores
I've not bought BBM in about 4-5 years now, because it's just been so unpolished... but Clay seems to be trying to push the envelope for a single-player game. Anyone have thoughts?

Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

Sounds very promising.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i have never purchased BM. Played the demo and thought it was interesting but seemed unpolished. Consider my cautiously optomistic though. I'll have to try the demo, but it sounds great. Graphical pitching interface=GOLD.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exclusive Licensee of the Sean Lahman Baseball Database! Includes more than 10,000 players from 1901 to 2006. You can play as any team in any year, with a revamped pitch-by-pitch simulation engine accurately modelling each historical era.

Did we already know this? Or is this news?
(I mean, it's news to me, but was I just behind the curve or is this the first anybody has heard of it?)
Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Did we already know this? Or is this news?
(I mean, it's news to me, but was I just behind the curve or is this the first anybody has heard of it?)

Meaning the "exclusive" part? Does that mean that OOTP can't import the database anymore?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

BM was the first baseball manager that I tried and I fell in love with it until I found OOTP, but this certainly sounds like it may be worth a look.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
JPhillips
General Manager

BB Mogul is what started me in text sims, but I'm very sceptical that all of these features will work. I would expect it to be very buggy and the stats will still be way out of whack. Clay makes fun "beer&pretzel" type games, but they just don't have the depth or accuracy of the good sims. Its nice to see him breaking out of his shell, but I'll hold off on this until I get a bunch of positive reviews.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Ugh - I've been burned twice now by BM with the promises of improved this and redisigned that. Even the latest version was so far removed from the dynamics of real professional baseball it was a joke. OOTP will get my money when it comes out, as it should yours as well.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

BM was always my favorite due to it's ease of play and "baseball manager-lite" feel.

The last one I got was BM2004. I want to here more good than bad to pick this up, but I am hoping for good reviews.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

BM is BM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
BM is BM.
Concur......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
BM is BM.

And FOFC is FOFC.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
henry296
College Starter

Has he fixed the problem where runners stay on first base on groundouts to second and the batter is out.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Never again.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Yes Virginia!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to hear glowing reviews on here from a fair number of people (or play a demo that knocks my socks off) before I'd buy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
Yes Virginia!

Old 02-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Meaning the "exclusive" part? Does that mean that OOTP can't import the database anymore?

How do you get some thing that is free exclusively?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
[*]NEW 2006 Rosters! Off-season moves, free agent signings and trades. Detailed career stats, ratings, contracts and projections as of Opening Day. Plus personalized data for over 1,500 minor leaguers. Free updated rosters available during the season.

As in, licensed by the MLBPA? Where the hell is he going to get that kind of dough?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
As in, licensed by the MLBPA? Where the hell is he going to get that kind of dough?

Could a big company be backing him?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He gets the rosters cause the game includes, or links to the lehman database. It seems shady that he's getting them without a real license. If this is actually a legal practice, then could'nt Jim basically include a roster database with his game, and then have the "real players" in it as well?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

However, that bullet point talks about updated rosters throughout the season and minor league players. I'm ignorant, but does the Lehmen database update midyear? Does it include minor league players?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #23
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
NEW 12-Point Personality Profiles for every player and every team. Each profile affects contract negotiations. And, as an optional setting, personalities can impact on-field performance and team chemistry.

Awesome. Finally Baseball Mogul has something in common with match.com

Last edited by dervack : 02-01-2006 at 11:57 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #24
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack

Just so long as the 12 point personality profile doesn't go like this:

• Aries
  • Taurus
  • Gemini
Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #25
saldana
Pro Starter

i guess i am in the minority that likes BM more than OOTP(although i think the last OOTP i got was 2003 or 04)...i am pretty stoked about the graphical interface though...i for one am excited to see the demo.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #26
Marc Duffy
SI Games

OOTP Baseball Manager 2006 will allow you to import the Lahman database, nothing changes there.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 AM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

I originally started off on BM, and I'll buy the versions once they hit the $10 clearance bin, play for them 5 minutes, then go back to OOTP.

Last time I bought it at full retail price was back with the 2003 version.

I'm honestly thinking this is going to be another $10 one. I've gotten too used to OOTP and the community there.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #28
21C
College Prospect

I read the title of this thread as:

Baseball Mogul 2007? Get Serious!
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:19 AM   #29
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on Skydog. I will not be fooled a third time.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #30
miked
College Starter

BM makes we want to BM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #31
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Knowing all the issues he had with a simple one pitch batter/pitcher confrontation, it makes me shudder to think of the problems that will be created with a pitch-by-pitch mode. Was his user community clamoring for a pitch-by-pich mode to begin with?

His niche was a quick-simming, career-based baseball sim. How can one mention the following as "features" all in one breath: "pitch-by-pitch mode", "minor league simulation engine" and "faster simulation speed". Okay, what this says to me is: different engines for minors vs. majors (yuck). A "tacked-on" pitch-by-pitch mode - you can't have faster sims and at the same time add that level of micro game management. Unless...there's two different engines being used - one for pitch-by-pitch and one for quick simming. Oh great, when I use pitch-by-pitch, my team is 12-0, but when I quick sim, we're 5-15!

Really, this game could be good, and I have no doubt that Clay is smart and knowledgeable about baseball (I see him post on the SABR mailing lists all the time), I just don't understand why his game doesn't live up to the hype. Ever.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #32
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C
I read the title of this thread as:

Baseball Mogul 2007? Get Serious!
Yep......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #33
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
OOTP Baseball Manager 2006 will allow you to import the Lahman database, nothing changes there.

No, no, Marc, he's got an exclusive license. You'll have to take that feature out.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #34
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack

No, eharmony.com. After I've signed a guy, I'll feel confident that I've found my soulmate.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #35
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

OOTP uses the Lahman Database. BBM is becoming the exclusive licensee of the "Sean Lahman Baseball Database." Next year, I'll be the exclusive licensee of the "SL Baseball Database."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #36
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

No.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #37
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Knowing all the issues he had with a simple one pitch batter/pitcher confrontation, it makes me shudder to think of the problems that will be created with a pitch-by-pitch mode. Was his user community clamoring for a pitch-by-pich mode to begin with?

His niche was a quick-simming, career-based baseball sim. How can one mention the following as "features" all in one breath: "pitch-by-pitch mode", "minor league simulation engine" and "faster simulation speed". Okay, what this says to me is: different engines for minors vs. majors (yuck). A "tacked-on" pitch-by-pitch mode - you can't have faster sims and at the same time add that level of micro game management. Unless...there's two different engines being used - one for pitch-by-pitch and one for quick simming. Oh great, when I use pitch-by-pitch, my team is 12-0, but when I quick sim, we're 5-15!

Really, this game could be good, and I have no doubt that Clay is smart and knowledgeable about baseball (I see him post on the SABR mailing lists all the time), I just don't understand why his game doesn't live up to the hype. Ever.

I really got worried when I read about all the new, fancy features, then got to the end and saw the remark about 30-second sim seasons.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on Skydog. I will not be fooled a third time.

Fool me once, Shame on Clay, fool me twice, won't get fooled again.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This has to be a joke... all this NEW stuff? What about the debacle that was BM 2006? Was that game not "serious" ?? It definitly played that way.

Like EF said, MAJOR, MAJOR glowing reviews from several hundred people before I would even think about it.

Actually, I feel dirty for reading the first post. Time for a cold shower.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-02-2006 at 11:12 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #40
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Wait. It's MY fault that Clay didn't finish the game???
Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #41
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I just don't understand why his game doesn't live up to the hype. Ever.

Because he has minions who buy the game year after year regardless of quality. He doesn't have any motivation to ever release a finished product. He just moves on to the next year's edition before the previous one is finished, and people gobble it up...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #42
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce
Because he has minions who buy the game year after year regardless of quality. He doesn't have any motivation to ever release a finished product. He just moves on to the next year's edition before the previous one is finished, and people gobble it up...
You may be on to something there. It had been a couple of years or so since I'd bought a version of BM, so I hadn't been at their forums much until shortly before and after last year's release. I did notice a lot of people saying, "Dude, Clay's done more than enough this year. It only costs $19.99."

Maybe he needs to raise the price and therefore raise the expectations?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #43
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Sounds like there's a method to the madness. If he did raise the price, then there WOULD be greater expectations - greater than what he'd like to live up to. I'm sure he's quite comfortable with the $19.99 pricepoint.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #44
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Wait. It's MY fault that Clay didn't finish the game???

You talked me into buying it against my better judgement.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #45
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Tradezilla.

Wurd.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

BM is a joke.

Even if BM comes to my door on bended knee, with a handful of excellent reviews and begs for me to take him back, I still won't yanked around by him again. Unless he also brings chocolate.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #47
bbor
Pro Starter

I know nothing about this product....but can it really be thios bad?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #48
SFL Cat
College Starter

Sounds too good to be true....and you know what they say....
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #49
SFL Cat
College Starter

dola -- could be the sim baseball equivalent of MAXIMUM FOOTBALL

Last edited by SFL Cat : 02-02-2006 at 12:25 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #50
Schmidty
Coordinator

Even if BM ends up having all of those bells and whistles doesn't mean the guts of the game are going to be anything more than garbage.