Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

PureSim Baseball 2007 for $14.99

Hi guys, I have been on vacation all week, so I'm not sure how much this has been discussed, but the guys at Matrix are doing a pretty cool 2 week promotion offering PureSim 2007 for just $14.99. That is a pretty sweet deal -- PureSim for the price of a beer and a pretzel at Fenway

Anyway the promo starts at midnight tonight and runs for 2 weeks, so if you have been on the fence with PureSim, this may be the time to pull the trigger.

Sorry for the shameless promotional tone here, but I wanted to be sure to get the word out...

Shaun

Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Wink

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=50747

This boards good
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

oops

Whoops. Sorry, should have seen that.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

more publicity is never bad though shaun
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

http://www.digitalstadium.org/smf/index.php
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

another scoop for sportsdigs
Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

man we should just all be hanging out at sportsdigs!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

all hail the digital stadium!@
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
man we should just all be hanging out at sportsdigs!

Yeah, who needs threads here. We can just link everything to Sportsdigs.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
jbmagic
Pro Starter

From Shaun
Quote:
Its tricky to lower the price, there is always a risk of alienating a customer who made a recent purchase. It is for this very reason that we announced the upcoming promotion in advance. There is really no perfect way to do a price break without it miffing someone. I'll talk with the Matrix guys when they get back from the Origins conference and we'll be sure to look at cases where folks purchased right before the announcement. In the past we have addressed these situations on a case by case basis, and the Matrix guys are super customer-focused so I'm sure we'll make good in cases where you feel you got a raw deal. The very fact that Matrix let me give PureSim 2005 Gold edition free to all existing PS 2005 customers was enough to convince me how serious the company is about customer support.

I still feel at $29.99 the game is a good value and at $14.99 I pretty much don't even make any money. The game is not selling anywhere near my goals, so hopefully this promo will get the word out. I'm pretty bummed out about sales right now -- I was really hoping this would be the breakout year for PureSim, but it just hasn't happened. Maybe there is just too much competition in such a niche genre...

If you haven't purchased yet, make sure you do so in the 2 week time window starting at midnight tonight. After 7/14 the price will be going back up to $29.99.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

You mean there are people who are whining that they bought the game right before the discout was announced?

Tough shit.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Shaun for what it's worth I bought all three games and yours at full price. I'll probably eventually get to it and hopefully enjoy it.

Keep fighting the good fight.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Keep the faith Shaun, you have a great game there!!
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, Shaun. I think once 7/14 has come and go, I'll "lose" my beta serial again and be *gasp* forced to buy the game
Old 06-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Sorry to hear that sales haven't been up to your expectations. FWIW, I bought at full price...every little bit helps
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #16
spleen1015
Coordinator

Player development during the season and you have my $$$.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #17
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Shaun, keep up the hard work. With OOTP's bump in the road, you'll definitely be getting a good shot at some big sales next year... imo
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

One has to wonder how much Matrix's handling of M-F has effected sales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 07-01-2006 at 08:23 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

I thought that as well. I wonder how many more games Shaun has sold solo vs signing with Matrix?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

Yeah, it makes me leary to buy, knowing that at least some of my cash goes to those jack-a-lopes.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #21
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

I didn't really follow the MF situation closely, but what I can say is the Matrix guys have been super to me. I have 100% creative control, set all deadlines, run all betas etc. They provide me with bandwidth, FTP space, marketing and support.

PureSim 2007 is selling better than any other version -- I think I may have had a little overzealous expectations sales-wise.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

$15?

That's a bargain up the butt I say.

Have had it for a while now and love it. $15 is insane, is Matrix run by a used car salesman with a wacky name and wacky commercials?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #23
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sometimes I just don't get people buying games. Are you telling there's a difference, from a buyer's perspective, between $15 and $30?!?!? That's a $15 difference which is the price of one and half movies, a case of beer or a half to a third a tank of gas. Most of us waste that much in a short amount of time and we quibble over a relatively few dollars for something that potentially give us comparatively much more in return?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Sometimes I just don't get people buying games. Are you telling there's a difference, from a buyer's perspective, between $15 and $30?!?!? That's a $15 difference which is the price of one and half movies, a case of beer or a half to a third a tank of gas. Most of us waste that much in a short amount of time and we quibble over a relatively few dollars for something that potentially give us comparatively much more in return?

Well, it's a 50% savings. And some of us don't go to movies that often, don't drink, and don't drive to work every day. I'm not saying that $15 is going to break my bank, but I can see paying only $15 for a game (50% off) that's had such great reviews, even if I'm not interested in baseball, is pretty tempting.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #25
heybrad
Norm!!!

I've finished my yard work and been grocery shopping. I've got nothing to do until later tonight, so I've taken the plunge.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #26
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I purchased it as well. I'd been meaning to grab this one for a while. First two thoughts are quite positive:

1. Sim is definitely running faster than the last time I tried it. It is now definitely feasible to play my style (sim for solid history overnight to start the league, then sim a month at a time).

2. Dat HTML output look so good...

Looking forward to diving into the guts of this one at some point in the near future.

Quick question: what league customization abilities are there? Can I tweak stats to my liking, get 10-15 CG's from the best SP's, etc.?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heybrad update

I've finished my yard work and been grocery shopping. I've got nothing to do until later tonight, so I've taken the plunge.

Sounds like a good idea
Old 07-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have been looking at this for a while as well, and this was the right time to give it a whirl. I really like the integrated Lahman DB.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #29
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
I didn't really follow the MF situation closely, but what I can say is the Matrix guys have been super to me. I have 100% creative control, set all deadlines, run all betas etc. They provide me with bandwidth, FTP space, marketing and support.

PureSim 2007 is selling better than any other version -- I think I may have had a little overzealous expectations sales-wise.

All the more reason why MF failed so bad and why Puresim is a great game. When you put an incompetent person in charge of everything Shaun mentions above (ie. Daivd Winters) you get a disaster. When you give these resources to Shaun he prospers (relative speaking) and puts out a great product.

I mean can anyone imagine the response if Shaun said that if you want to hit more home runs or have men go from 1st to 3rd on a hit to the outfield you need a more powerful computer to boost the frame rates?

Great Game Shaun. I hope you are able to continue to do what you want.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #30
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I am not a big follower of baseball and don't really know very much about it, but over the last couple of months have been slowly getting ore interested in it, even watching a couple of whole games on TV. I was considering getting OOTP2006, but after he debacle of release I'll wait on that and try out the demo of the patch they relesae before going any firther. I did download OOTP5 though and played a few seasons out and it was pretty fun overall, but a bit unsatisfying in the end. So basically I guess I want to ask a couple of questions:

1. It seems from browsing the website etc. that the big draw for Puresim is historical play. As someone who doesn't know anything about baseball history I'm not interested in that. Is the game still good for playing with fictional players in a modern envioremnt?

2. Is Puresim really so much better than OOTP5 that it's worth buying for a non-baseball guy like myself?
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #31
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
1. It seems from browsing the website etc. that the big draw for Puresim is historical play. As someone who doesn't know anything about baseball history I'm not interested in that. Is the game still good for playing with fictional players in a modern envioremnt?

I've bought and played several versions of the game and would say that playing a fictional league is its strongest point.

Quote:
2. Is Puresim really so much better than OOTP5 that it's worth buying for a non-baseball guy like myself?

I would say they are two different playing expierences (about as different as two baseball sims can be, that is). I've bought and played both series and have always had more fun with Puresim when playing fictional leagues. OOTP was always my stop when playing historical replays. So if you are more interested in fictional leagues with fictional players, Puresim will probably be more for you.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-01-2006 at 05:40 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #32
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I purchased it as well. I'd been meaning to grab this one for a while. First two thoughts are quite positive:

1. Sim is definitely running faster than the last time I tried it. It is now definitely feasible to play my style (sim for solid history overnight to start the league, then sim a month at a time).

2. Dat HTML output look so good...

Looking forward to diving into the guts of this one at some point in the near future.

Quick question: what league customization abilities are there? Can I tweak stats to my liking, get 10-15 CG's from the best SP's, etc.?

From what I have done with tweaking things, yes it is responsive. I did very little tweaking with homeruns and K's and noticed a difference (went from 50 to 55 for each). It wasn't huge, but that was what I was going for.

Also, I am just now getting out of the deadball era, and started to get a little worried that the engine was not going to adjust (the reason I tweaked homers up above). But with this career the deadball era just lasted a little longer I guess (1927 season the league leader had 25 HRs, and since about the early 20's it has been going up). I am starting to think about running another career and see if the automatic adjustment will differ from game to game. I am doing a fictional league BTW.

I still get 10-15 CGs for the league leaders at this point too. I am not sure what the number will be for a present day game though, and how much to move the sliders.

Also, I recommend that anyone who buys this, get the latest beta patchfrom the PureSim board. I believe you still get version 1.1 when you buy the game. The next official patch, 1.2 is out soon I think. But the beta patches are pretty stable, I have not had a single problem with 1.8, and they have added/fixed some things that will make the game even better for you.

Last edited by Cringer : 07-01-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- forgot about game customization abilities. What exactly are you looking for? You can pick league size, schedule length, and stuff like that.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #34
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
$15?

That's a bargain up the butt I say.
I agree...I bought it when it came out and it hasn't disappointed me. Fine product from Shaun.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Puresim was built FOR fictional play.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #36
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Puresim was built FOR fictional play.

I agree that it was, but based on what I read now it seems that more people actually enjoy historical play with it.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I agree that it was, but based on what I read now it seems that more people actually enjoy historical play with it.

I like fictional play a lot, and my current 30 year long career is fictional, and I think it is great for it. With that said, my first career I started was historical, and I went about 13-15 years with it (the first 5 simmed). I was having just as much fun with that career though and am thinking I may go back to another historical game in a month or so.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24

No doubt. Shaun's definitly made some major improvements to the historical aspect of his sim.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #39
aran
High School Varsity

Wow. $15?

Sold.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #40
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I picked a copy of it up as well. Played with it for a couple hours this morning, I can see what some folks are saying about the stats, but I think it seems pretty fun. Manager mode is pretty good, especially with the location of the ball being shown, although it does seem a little wonky at times.

I probably also will run a historical league, jumping in to manage a few games every now and again.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stupid question but ... I've currently got the demo installed, so I'm wondering if I should uninstall it or anything before purchasing from the website link to the online store?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-02-2006 at 01:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #42
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Stupid question but ... I've currently got the demo installed, so I'm wondering if I should uninstall it or anything before purchasing from the website link to the online store?

yes

Unistall the demo first.

Then install when you purchase and get the latest beta patch 1.18 too.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #43
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Make a football game. While baseball is good football and to a lesser extent basketball appeals to me. My business program would like EWR... release a free version... then improve on that and sale it for 34.99. I wouldn't spend time on graphics as much as I would spend time on making everything play right. Hmm... I think I am griping sorry.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #44
Flasch186
Coordinator

well i just bought it and the price drop was definitely the reason if not simply from the unintended marketing on this site letting me know about it, again.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #45
Capital
High School Varsity

These FOFC threads (and the price drop) and the fact the OOTP2006 appears combursome, by reading various threads on this site and others, will probably lead to me buying this game in the morning.

I assume that there's mods out there that have a 2006 roster? Logos included?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #46
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Capital, check out my site.. Lots of good stuff, including a 2006 roster, although it's NOT perfect. I'm better at logos and ballparks than I am at rosters.

Al

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/P...Mods/Main.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital
These FOFC threads (and the price drop) and the fact the OOTP2006 appears combursome, by reading various threads on this site and others, will probably lead to me buying this game in the morning.

I assume that there's mods out there that have a 2006 roster? Logos included?
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #47
Flasch186
Coordinator

i signed up for Matrix Games members club to get some of the addons and, while they said they emailed me my password, I did not get it...including my second attempt. hmmmmmm, Shaun?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #48
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104
Capital, check out my site.. Lots of good stuff, including a 2006 roster, although it's NOT perfect. I'm better at logos and ballparks than I am at rosters.

Al

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/P...Mods/Main.html

awesome....who needs membership!!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #49
Flasch186
Coordinator

for some reason i remember puresim's financial model being off...is that the case?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #50
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
for some reason i remember puresim's financial model being off...is that the case?

Not for $14.99