Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #101
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm looking to start a Fictional league with fictional players and teams. Simulate about 50 years of history. and then take over a team and play out each one of their games over the season.

Is this the game for me?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #102
Icy
Pro Starter

Does it have full minors? What about the economic system?
I tried older versions there were no full minors and no waivers, rule 5 draft, etc (not that are working so good in OOTP anyway, but i like them). Has all that been implemented already? How is the rosters management AI? Depending on that and tomorrow's ootp patch i could be willing to buy puresim for my baseball fix.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #103
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
I have been playing with a fictional universe and have not had the same amount of poor trades, but I am still a little worried about how easy this game is.

I think this is an excellent review of the games strength's and weaknesses. I've spent countless hours with the game and would say that if Shaun spent some time tweaking salaries (finances) and the trading AI, it would make the game much more challenging.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #104
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
I'm looking to start a Fictional league with fictional players and teams. Simulate about 50 years of history. and then take over a team and play out each one of their games over the season.

Is this the game for me?

I don't want to discourage you from buying this game, I've had fun with it, but it took me several hours to simulate 5 seasons. Lets say it is only 30 minutes per season, I'd have to wait an entire day to start my league.

Maybe there is something I can do (outside of buying a new computer) to improve speed.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #105
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Does it have full minors? What about the economic system?
I tried older versions there were no full minors and no waivers, rule 5 draft, etc (not that are working so good in OOTP anyway, but i like them). Has all that been implemented already? How is the rosters management AI? Depending on that and tomorrow's ootp patch i could be willing to buy puresim for my baseball fix.

It has minors. I don't do much with them, and I'm not sure they play out like in OOTP, but you can have guys in AAA, AA, and A.

I don't think there are waivers, rule 5 drafts, or any of the nitty gritty details like them.

But I'm not sure as I've only played the game for a few days and haven't really looked into how all of that works (I've basically stuck to what pops up on my screen telling me it has to be done).
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #106
henry296
College Starter

There are multiple levels of minors, but if you play with real players, you'll only use AAA and maybe AA especially if you start early in history. Basically with real players you'll want to play with 35 or 50 man rosters so you limit the number of fictional players.

No waivers, options or rule 5 draft, mainly due to the issues with the CPU adjusting to those nuances.

Each team has a budget that rises proportionally each season or you can edit them every year. No need to worry about stadiums or attendance.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #107
JW
College Prospect

I bought Puresim for $14.99 and created a fictional league to sim mirroring my fictional OOTP 6.5 league, i.e. same structure, same starting point, 1950. I've invested more than 30 fictional years in my OOTP league and have had great fun with it. I sim only, btw, simming monthly or weekly until the playoffs and then simming daily and if I reach the championship series, simming games by inning. I've done it that way for several OOTP versions. It is just the way I like to play. I use a 24-team fictional league of two 12-team leagues with three four-team divisions in each league.

I tried Puresim at the reduced price and find that although the game is interesting, I don't like it, at least right now, as much as OOTP 6.5 (I don't even want to attempt OOTP 2006 after reading everything about it.) I've played abouut half a season of my Puresim league for comparison. Here are some specific things I found I don't like about Puresim.

1. No league splits for stats. That is a major annoyance for me. In my two-league association, I can't split the stats by league like I can in OOTP and like MLB does. At least it isn't easily done on the stat page and I haven't found a way to do it. If there is, let me know.

2. Slower simming. It just sims slower than OOTP 6.5. I'm going to go back and create a new association and check all my decisions in setting up the association to make sure I set it up for faster simming, and I'm going to look at the way minors are set up. I don't sim minors but I'm wondering if I set up my association the best way to speed up that process. So I want to do the whole setup process again.

3. The layout of the game. I find it easier to manage lineups and my rotation and minors with OOTP. Now honestly it may just be that I'm so used to the OOTP setup that I need to give Puresim more of a chance, but my impression is that the OOTP screens are more user friendly.

Puresim is very interesting. If I didn't have OOTP, I'm sure I would be playing Puresim. But right now I think OOTP 6.5 is better for the way I play. I'm keeping Puresim on my hard drive though and doing the updates and watching how it develops, and I wish the designer a lot of success. I might eventually become a Puresim convert.

I'm interested in any comments regarding simming a fictional association with Puresim.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #108
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
1. No league splits for stats.

2. Slower simming.

3. The layout of the game.

1. I bet if you bring that up on the boards that can get into a future patch.

2. It doesn't sim as quickly as OOTP 6.5

3. One of the best things about OOTP 6.5 is the ease of moving players between minors and the ability to quickly put together a rotation and lineup. That is one of the things that OOTP06 that ruined. Puresim could use some work in improving the ease of lineup/minor league set-up.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #109
henry296
College Starter

JW,

1. The only way to see League by League splits is using the HTML almanac. I agree it would be nice to have a league filter within the game.
2. It is definitely slower. There aren't any league settings that would speed it up. The only place that I know if is the XML which can tweak how often the teams evaluate players, etc.
3. There are some places where I feel it takes a couple of extra clicks.
For example, if on the Modify Roster and you activate a player he doesn't show up on the roster screen. No quick way to get to the minors. I think some of the screens could show more information as well (modify lineups in particular). However, overall after a couple of seasons, I've found it doesn't take me long to get the information that I need. I would encourage you to give it some time especially since you are used to OOTP. I didn't have that hurdle.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would agree, ootp 6.51 does ALOT right.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #111
JW
College Prospect

[quote=lynchjm24]1. I bet if you bring that up on the boards that can get into a future patch.
QUOTE]

I did, some time ago on the Matrix board, and now I remember correctly Shaun said what henry296 said, that you can only do it in the almanac right now, not on the stat page, but that was a future consideration. I think I'll make that comment again.

As for henry296's comment about adjusting things in the xml, how do you do that, and what would be the disadvantages?

One thing I did today was go back and create an association with 35-man rosters instead of 60, the fictional league default, and I found that sim speed seemed to pick up a lot, even though I don't sim minors. But then I'm not sure if a 35-man fictional roster has enough minor league players to work correctly over several seasons.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #112
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

QUOTE]

As for henry296's comment about adjusting things in the xml, how do you do that, and what would be the disadvantages?

[/quote]

The game doesn't play out the minors any longer. Every week you see that 'updated statistics' on the screen and it is simulating stats for the minor leaguers.

I do not think there is really anything in the XML that is going to speed up the game for you. That is part of the reason why I play a 10 team league, it's just faster.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #113
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Today is the last day of the sale.

Anyone else picking it up?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #114
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

no
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #115
Tim Tellean
High School JV

yes
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #116
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

Not until players develop during the season.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #117
dervack
College Prospect

Bought and am playing it a lot.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #118
dbd1963
High School JV

I don't even like baseball, but I've enjoyed Puresim. I bought before it went on sale, but I don't regret it. Of the games I've recently bought, it gets the most of my game-time.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #119
King of New York
High School Varsity

I'm going to buy it right now.

Things like players not developing in season and the lack of league-by-league splits in the game are problems, but the strong support that Shaun Sullivan gives his games, the generally positive vibes that the game has generated, and the low price have convinced me to give PureSim a shot.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #120
Cuckoo
College Starter

I bought before it went on sale as well, and I've enjoyed it. It's not as deep overall as OOTP, but it's solid and doesn't have near the issues the new OOTP has. It looks like I'll skip buying the new OOTP this year, most likely.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #121
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Bought it as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #122
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I bought it. I don't like baseball, but I really apprecieate Shaun and the way he represents himself and his product.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:53 PM   #123
jbmagic
Pro Starter

PureSim Baseball 2007 v1.20 Update Now Available

Quote:
Get A Taste Of A Baseball Fan’s Fantasy – Batter Up!

Matrix Games, in association with PureSim (www.puresim.com) is pleased to announce that the v1.20 update for the full version of PureSim Baseball 2007 is now also available at the Matrix Games site.

The v1.20 update for the full version of PureSim Baseball 2007 is a major update. In addition to resolving a number of minor issues, this update adds support for Internet Explorer 7, Multi-base throwing errors, improved management AI, and improved time period specific pitcher usage. In addition, there is a new Player Affinity mode, which will make teams highly likely to try and keep their makeup similar to what it was in real life. These changes combine to increase the historical feel of the game. The new update for PureSim Baseball 2007 has over 50 different tweaks and fixes that truly enhance both the game-play and the visual experience. The only thing missing is the random celebrity throwing out the first pitch! “PLAY BALL!”

PureSim Baseball 2007 uses an automatically-generated dream almanac containing thousands of pages of detailed stats on players and team histories. Directly integrated into the game, it uses standard HTML formatting which allows it to be published onto the web. The Lahman database is fully licensed and integrated into PureSim Baseball 2007, making it easier than ever to play with historical players and teams from 1900 to 2005! PureSim Baseball 2007 includes multiple levels of minors (A, AA, AAA), flexibility in allowing players to simulate any Major League season from 1900 to 2005. The game's unique player aging system, completely customizable parks and leagues, and the ability to edit any aspect of any detail found within the game all round out a sharper, quicker, and more intense baseball simulation.

Digital downloads as well as boxed copies of PureSim Baseball 2007 are now available at the Matrix Games Online Store. Download it today and finally feel as close to the action as you can get without actually buying season tickets!
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So off I go to grab the patch & install it, decide to grab one of the face packs from one of the third-party sites & install it too.

I install the face pack just fine.
I install the patch just fine.

I hit the "Quick Start" option in my Start Menu & get a message about how there's new images in the mods folder (or something like that) and that the game needs to rebuild the image database file which may take a few seconds.

Well folks, 25 minutes later I stil can't get the fucking game to start. Well, that's not quite true: "PureSim Baseball 2007 is already running" is the message I get when trying to open it. Check my processes & sure enough, there it is, running merrily along at 84,212k Mem Usage ... except that I can't access it or see it anywhere except the Windows Task Mgr.

Don't know which one has screwed it up, the face pack installation or the patch, but it's pretty frustrating right now ... compounded by the fact that I haven't received the "registeration" (sic) email in order to activate an account at the support fourm, so right now all I can do is bitch about it here.

Dammit all to hell & gone, I knew I ought to wait several days before installing the patch, just to make sure there weren't any problems, but I figured "eh, this thing has been tested a bunch, it'll be fine".

When will I ever learn to listen to my good first instincts?

(and even if it's picture-related instead of patch-related, I wouldn't be dealing with this aggravation right now if I hadn't of gone to get the patch).

edit to add: Now 40 minutes later, I've shut down the app, restarted it, etc, etc. still can't get it to do a damned thing except sit there running, albeit "invisibly" for lack of a better word.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-19-2006 at 12:40 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #125
dickysty
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
So off I go to grab the patch & install it, decide to grab one of the face packs from one of the third-party sites & install it too.

I install the face pack just fine.
I install the patch just fine.

I hit the "Quick Start" option in my Start Menu & get a message about how there's new images in the mods folder (or something like that) and that the game needs to rebuild the image database file which may take a few seconds.

Well folks, 25 minutes later I stil can't get the fucking game to start. Well, that's not quite true: "PureSim Baseball 2007 is already running" is the message I get when trying to open it. Check my processes & sure enough, there it is, running merrily along at 84,212k Mem Usage ... except that I can't access it or see it anywhere except the Windows Task Mgr.

Don't know which one has screwed it up, the face pack installation or the patch, but it's pretty frustrating right now ... compounded by the fact that I haven't received the "registeration" (sic) email in order to activate an account at the support fourm, so right now all I can do is bitch about it here.

Dammit all to hell & gone, I knew I ought to wait several days before installing the patch, just to make sure there weren't any problems, but I figured "eh, this thing has been tested a bunch, it'll be fine".

When will I ever learn to listen to my good first instincts?

(and even if it's picture-related instead of patch-related, I wouldn't be dealing with this aggravation right now if I hadn't of gone to get the patch).

edit to add: Now 40 minutes later, I've shut down the app, restarted it, etc, etc. still can't get it to do a damned thing except sit there running, albeit "invisibly" for lack of a better word.

I know how you feel. Un-installed 2005 to save some hard drive space, somehow lost a .dll file the game has never worked since. I've tried everything. I hate to give up , but I have. This game will never play on my current notebook. Drives my fricken crazy!!!!!!!
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FYI - it seems as though the patch creates a "running invisible" problem unless you've installed WinXP Service Pack 2.

Or at least the problem was solved for me once that loooong ass update was installed.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #127
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Still haven't bought it.