Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't know who the hell Doug Konieczny is (was), but he's turned into an absolute stud in my replay. Looks like he pitched for HOU in the mid-70s. He may be on his way to a HoF career with STL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #152
Scholes
High School Varsity

http://www.padresfanmods.net/

Under the Databases section. There's a readme with it that explains it more.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #153
twothree
College Prospect

Purchased. Thanks for using elicense.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #154
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think my current universe idea will be to simulate until 1952, turn the PCL into a third major league, separate from the MLB structure. Maybe a few other changes too, like not putting a team in Montreal or something. We'll see.

I need to just get immersed and play some, though.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #155
Ksyrup

Pretty cool...in the early 70s, I noticed that Jerry Koosman's career was cut way short by an injury. Fast forward 15-20 years, and I just saw a new item about Koosman being cut loose as Braves manager.

What a complete failure!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #156
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's 1930 so far and the Reds have won four straight World Series.

The Cubs won a bunch in the 20s, too.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #157
Scholes
High School Varsity

Tony Mounce, a second round pick by the Giants in 1993, spends 1994 tearing up both AA and AAA. He's called up for the 1995 season and sparkles, going 19-5 with a 3.21 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP in 214 innings. He wins the NL rookie of the year award.

In spring training 1998, he tragically blows his back out and his career is over.

I love stuff like that.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #158
Ksyrup

I'm about through simming to 1990 and am going to check out all of the names (familiar and not) that I saw (or didn't see) during the 80s. Hardly saw Clemens, never saw Stieb, Morris, or Mattingly. Steve Kemp apparently turned into the next Mickey Mantle, though, and Alvin Davis is tearing it up.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #159
Atocep
Coordinator

I just started messing around with the editor and noticed something that I never noticed in 2k6, since I didn't play that version much.

I pulled up a young pitcher with a mid-80s fastball, below average stuff, very high movement rating and potential, above average control. I unchecked fastball and checked knuckleball instead and it knocked .21 runs off of his projected ERA, and .006 off of his projected OAVG.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #160
Ksyrup

In addition to saves totals feeling "off", SB totals are off, too. Through 1989, Jeff Stone with 82 SB is the only even remotely modern player with that many SBs. Brett Butler is the best SB guy of his generation, and he's only averaging about 50+ a year. And there's nobody on the single-season list between 1940 and 1978.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-23-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #161
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I just started messing around with the editor and noticed something that I never noticed in 2k6, since I didn't play that version much.

I pulled up a young pitcher with a mid-80s fastball, below average stuff, very high movement rating and potential, above average control. I unchecked fastball and checked knuckleball instead and it knocked .21 runs off of his projected ERA, and .006 off of his projected OAVG.

I didn't know something like that was even in the game. Interesting. Of course, I'm flying 40K feet above the minutia like that, but when I get into GM/manager mode, that will be interesting to check out. Let us know how he performs.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #162
Ksyrup

See, in 1989, the saves leader is 557 - a guy named Billy McCool (gotta love it!) whose career began in 1964. There are 5 guys with 350 or more saves by 1989; IRL, in 2007, there are only 6.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-23-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #163
Ksyrup

Also, I wonder if there's a way to wipe out pre-1900 (at least) stats. Having a single-season wins list, for example, is virtually meaningless. Only one guy since 1919 has made the list - a guy who won 29 games in 1946.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-23-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #164
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
See, in 1989, the saves leader is 557 - a guy named Billy McCool (gotta love it!) whose career began in 1964. There are 5 guys with 350 or more saves by 1989; IRL, in 2007, there are only 6.

He's gotta be nicknamed "The Cool Customer". lol
Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #165
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's 1948.

The Browns won their first World Series (against the Cardinals, actually..)

Mel Ott is the all-time home run leader so far at 478 homers.
Babe Ruth was a no-account player who pitched just two games for the Red Sox and retired in 1917.

Rogers Hornsby is all-time hits leader so far at 3488.

Walter Johnson went 332-287 between the A's and the Cubs.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh, Jackie Robinson was on that Browns team, too.

I don't have the players coming in with their traditional teams, which I like better.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #167
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I put in a request to turn off the Scout PM's (I don't need to know that Joe Shlbodnick, hopeless rookie, now has talent of 2-1-1 instead of 1-1-1), or at least limit them to AAA or Majors
Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #168
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Saves must be a weird stat for sims to get a handle on - there’s a ton of variables in how closers are used. Guys might lose the job for a few weeks to get their stuff back together, a team might try other guys in the role late in the year, a manager might keep a middle reliever in with a 2 run lead against a weak team. I can live with some amount of save inflation in a sim universe.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #169
Ksyrup

That's what I figured with Ruth. Huge issue in doing a replay. I think sticking with 1919/1920 as the first sim year is my only option.

I had an interesting guy - Bob Aspromonte. IRL, he was mediocre, hitting .252 from 1956 to 1971, mainly starting for the Houston expansion team in the early 60s.

I my sim...he has the longest career of any player - 27 years - and retired in 1982 with 4100+ hits. He was basically Pete Rose (who had "only" 3400 hits, BTW) - not particularly great, but steady for a long time.

Rose made the HoF, too. LOL
Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #170
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Saves must be a weird stat for sims to get a handle on - there’s a ton of variables in how closers are used. Guys might lose the job for a few weeks to get their stuff back together, a team might try other guys in the role late in the year, a manager might keep a middle reliever in with a 2 run lead against a weak team. I can live with some amount of save inflation in a sim universe.

Yeah, it's not a big deal, just something I noticed. The SB thing matters more to me, since that seems like something that can be controlled more.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #171
Ksyrup

Seeing guys like Mike Laga, Kal Daniels, Kevin Maas, and Sam Horn on the leader boards in 1990 makes me giddy. Giddy I tell you!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #172
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

there's not a new 2007 roster update out yet made by anyone is there?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #173
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Fictional League Settings Posted:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...37#post2117537
Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #174
Ksyrup

Kevin Maas is going to make Georgie forget about Ken Phelps. 57 HR, 144 RBI in 1990.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #175
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
there's not a new 2007 roster update out yet made by anyone is there?

I think I saw one by Gambo on OOTP's boards under his sig. Version 1.5 maybe?

I'm thinking about trying it out for when I don't feel like playing my older career in the 80's.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #176
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Kevin Maas is going to make Georgie forget about Ken Phelps. 57 HR, 144 RBI in 1990.

If my memory of Kevin Maas serves me corect, at least 53 of them went no more than 325 feet down the right field line.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #177
sooner333
College Starter

Anyone running the game with a low amount of RAM? I have 256 MB, and I saw that was the minimum required. Is the game going to run really slowly...or will I still see some speed increase compared to before?

Last edited by sooner333 : 03-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #178
Ksyrup

Here's a sad story...Dwight Gooden. 1984, he comes out of the gate just like IRL - 16-13, 1.74 ERA, 280 Ks, and Rookie of the Year. Midway through 1985, he suffers a strained rotator cuff, ends up 13-6 with a 3.24 ERA, 190 Ks and apparently tried to pitch out of the bullpen when he came back from the injury. Next year, he's in AA and never leaves until November 1993, when he becomes a minor league free agent.

It's enough to drive a man to drugs...
Old 03-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #179
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

In 1948, I successfully added 8 PCL teams as a separate league. So far, it's working. Sometimes, when adding a league, it will crash depending on what options you select. I haven't figured out what is triggering it, so I haven't reported it. But it always works when I try it the second time without really trying to customize the new league too much.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #180
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Sorry, but all works properly here. Make sure your manager options are set so you control all aspects of the minors.

What do you mean by this? I only have 1 choice as a minor league manager --in team control settings under manager options, I have "Setting Lineups/Depth/Pitching Staff" set to me. The other choices are the San Francisco GM. I don't even have an option to change the other team control settings.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #181
Qrusher14242
High School JV

So you guys are able to sim an historical league with gambo's db? every time i try, it crashes after the playoffs. Can run a fictional league no problem. Ran one 100 years with no crashes. But cant get to 1902 with gambo's db. Gonna try lahman db tonight
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #182
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
So you guys are able to sim an historical league with gambo's db? every time i try, it crashes after the playoffs. Can run a fictional league no problem. Ran one 100 years with no crashes. But cant get to 1902 with gambo's db. Gonna try lahman db tonight

Yeah, I have a new career that I started tonight and it has simmed from 00 to 07 so far (in a little over an hour) with no problems despite using Gambo. Also, the game automatically switched the path to import for rookies. Slick. (I don't remember it doing that for me before.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-23-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #183
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just when I might have felt a little bad for sitting here and planning deliberately to play OOTP all weekend, I turn on ESPN and see a bunch of Grade-A geeks talking about fantasy baseball.

All of a sudden, my life felt a little better. Not because there is anything wrong with being VP of Fantasy Sports at ESPN. It's just....I dunno.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #184
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I put in a request to turn off the Scout PM's (I don't need to know that Joe Shlbodnick, hopeless rookie, now has talent of 2-1-1 instead of 1-1-1), or at least limit them to AAA or Majors

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #185
rowech
Pro Starter

Wow....game is sounding really good to me. I bought Puresim last year after reading about the OOTP revolt. Sounds like the citizens are once again happy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #186
Capital
High School Varsity

I just added 2 teams to my league but I can't figure out how to become the GM of one of the new teams. I do not have a team as of yet and I'm in commissioner mode. What am I missing? Thx in advance.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #187
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yeah, I have a new career that I started tonight and it has simmed from 00 to 07 so far (in a little over an hour) with no problems despite using Gambo. Also, the game automatically switched the path to import for rookies. Slick. (I don't remember it doing that for me before.)

Weird, guess i'll have to go back to 06 for my historical sims. Sucks, this one has so many new features, but if i cant sim without crashing, they're basically useless to me I do like facegen though.

I even tried just using default settings w/gambo and didnt mess with anything else and it still crashed right after the playoffs. Like it will take just sit there, and the memory goes up and its using 100% cpu, but it says Not responding at the top. I actually got to the next year once, but then it crashed at the end of that year right when it says 'SISA is scouting MLB' and just stayed there.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #188
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Can you put this in our tech support forum, if there is a problem here we need to work it out for you.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #189
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The year is 1961. Ted Williams is the all-time home runs leader (and still active) with 622 HRs. He's spent his whole career in Boston, is a career .340 hitter.

His best batting average season was in 1943 when he hit .386.

The PCL is a major league, as is the Continental League. MLB raided both starting this year taking two teams from each to expand by four teams in 1961.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #190
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
I just added 2 teams to my league but I can't figure out how to become the GM of one of the new teams. I do not have a team as of yet and I'm in commissioner mode. What am I missing? Thx in advance.

Top right corner of the game screen, there should be a drop down that says "act as". Choose one of the expansion teams.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #191
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Dick Simpson and Rene Lachemann are bona fide stars, while Joe Morgan, Carl Yastremski, and Steve Carlton are flame outs. Ha!

That's exactly what I want to see. If one plays in the 1940s and 1950s, I would want to see the likes of McGrath, Hutchinson, Morgan, Seward and Miller become the dominant SP of the league (since there were few such pitchers during that time in real life). It's the balance between being random and being predictable.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #192
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
In addition to saves totals feeling "off", SB totals are off, too. Through 1989, Jeff Stone with 82 SB is the only even remotely modern player with that many SBs. Brett Butler is the best SB guy of his generation, and he's only averaging about 50+ a year. And there's nobody on the single-season list between 1940 and 1978.

It sounds it's keeping the same era on but since it's not a recalc, I wonder how it handles that? If no recalc, I suppose one has to switch to a different era at a desired time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #193
rowech
Pro Starter

What is the recalc everyone keeps talking about?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #194
vtbub
College Starter

As someone who skipped last year, this is an overwhelming jump for me.

I don't see OOTP ever becoming a good replay type sim, oh well.

I do see it as a good fictional or what if sim.

On first blush, I'm happy.

While my personal quest to find the ultimate replay game continues, I think this should be a good challenge for trying the fictional route.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #195
BigMak
n00b

Can you take control of an expansion team prior to the expansion draft?
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #196
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak View Post
Can you take control of an expansion team prior to the expansion draft?

Yes
Old 03-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #197
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Top right corner of the game screen, there should be a drop down that says "act as". Choose one of the expansion teams.

But if I take control of the expansion using "act as" (didn't think about this option), I will be able to draft the team, but I don't think this still makes me the GM. They are not in the availalble jobs. Maybe that would be available after the draft.

Has anyone tried this?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #198
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
But if I take control of the expansion using "act as" (didn't think about this option), I will be able to draft the team, but I don't think this still makes me the GM. They are not in the availalble jobs. Maybe that would be available after the draft.

Has anyone tried this?

I haven't yet. But I'd imagine that's probably true, that they'd be an "available" job after the draft or once the schedule is made maybe.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #199
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally home and it's time to see what v2007 is all about!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #200
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mmmm

i'm in 1901 and turning the Boston Americans into the world championship dynasty that they should have been all along

guess i'm going to have to purchase now.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote