Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

OOTP 9: Release date & two new features revealed!

Hey guys,

for those who are interested in OOTP 9:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0042/

Enjoy!
Markus

Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

REALLY love both of these features Markus..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Cruel not to at least mention the release date in this thread.

Just thought I'd point that out.

June 18th
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Ksyrup

Man, that couldn't be more perfect for me. I'm going on vacation on the 21st.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Cruel not to at least mention the release date in this thread.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Well, that was by design. Thanks for spoiling it
Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Man, that couldn't be more perfect for me. I'm going on vacation on the 21st.

So do I! Finally!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Hello again from OOTP Developments! We have some big news, so please read on!
OOTP 9 Release Date Announced
We are pleased to announce that OOTP 9 will be released on June 18th! As in years past, OOTP 9 will run on both PC and Mac platforms, and will sell at a list price of US $39.99 for customers outside of Europe, and €39.99 in Europe.
Pre-Order Period Still Open
Remember, the pre-order period lasts through 11:59 pm on June 17th, GMT-5 (Eastern), so use this opportunity to save $15 by pre-ordering OOTP 9 right now for a price of US $24.99 or €24.99! If you need a reason to pre-order, read on!

More info about OOTP 9 and links to the web stores
Previous OOTP 9 newsletter

Two New Features Revealed
We have kept these gems under the hat thus far, but now it's time to publicly announce the addition of two great news features:

Simple ball animations!

OOTP uses Retrosheet ball locations to calculate where the ball is hit once put in play. OOTP 9 will allow you to set these exact locations in the ballpark editor so it matches the ballpark image used. Now, when playing a game in broadcast mode, you see where the ball is heading using a simple but effective ball animation! This works at all play-by-play speeds, and even if you selected the short play-by-play mode. When using instant play-by-play, the final destination of the ball is indicated properly. Now you can finally see where that 450-foot home run ended up in the stands!

Save & watch game replays!

OOTP 9 introduces a feature that is great for solo players and even better for online league participants. The game now allows you to store complete game replays either automatically (using similar setting like box scores, i.e. just human teams, human leagues etc.) or manually. These replay files include the complete play-by-play, ball locations for the animation and sound effects. The replays are shown in a screen similar to the broadcast game screen, so you can re-live all those exciting moments. Storing replays manually works as well, and allows you to share your greatest games with the community. Replay files even include the final box scores, so after watching a game that you got from a friend you can see the final numbers easily.

For online leagues the replays are included in the online league files, and we have added a setting to the schedule screen to hide final scores, so you could update your league file, then jump into the schedule screen and watch the simulated games without knowing the result! That's extra excitement added for people who love playing in online leagues.

Full OOTP 9 Feature List
Below is the complete list of major new features for OOTP 9. In addition to these, there are a number of smaller improvements as well, and it would be a little too tedious to list them all!

General features
  • Built-in 2008 Opening Day rosters
  • Revised, more realistic scouting system with less micromanaging, more realistic impact on your team, and written scouting reports on each player you scout
  • Past scouting reports are stored, so you can see how your players developed over time. Reports are not erased when you lose your scouting director.
  • Suspensions as a result of bench-clearing brawls, along with optional drug-related suspensions
  • In-game add-on installer that will allow you to download and automatically install custom add-ons from the community
  • Improved personnel contracts using a system similar to player contracts
  • Added a streaks section to the league stats screen
  • The league standings screen now shows the leagues leaders as well if desired
  • Added stats to player list filters
  • More news stories
  • Improved simulation speed
Customization features
  • A revised playoff system, with many more customizable options
  • Added the option to assign nations to teams in the league setup
  • Player creation utilizes different team nationalities in a league
  • Increased the secondary roster size max limit to 70
  • Increased the expanded roster size max limit to 70
  • Added a 'cannot be fired' option to the manager options
  • Added personality ratings to customizeable player lists
  • Added "turn into coach" feature for retired players
In-game features
  • In-game sound and further improvements to the realism of the play-by-play engine
  • Simple ball animation
  • Store & watch game replays
  • Recoded pitcher endurance system, resulting in much more realistic results when using relievers as starters and vice-versa
  • Increased font size of PbP in higher resolutions
Financial system features
  • Improved front office system with additional financial detail
  • Two new revenue sharing options
  • Greatly improved contract AI
Historical features
  • Built-in support for Lahman historical database, including neutralized stats for better results
  • Built-in ballpark database, utilized automatically when rpogressing through history
  • Ability to import pre-1901 seasons
  • Added the following league totals modifiers: SP Endurance, RP Endurance, WP, PB, Balks, Double Plays, Sac Flies, Sac Bunts, SB Attempts, SB Success %
  • Improved the automatic adjustment of the following league totals modifiers: Hits, 2B, 3B
  • Greatly improved the defensive ratings & position calculations
  • Improved calculation of pitcher endurance when importing historical leagues
  • Added the option to automatically retire players according to history
  • Added an option for historical leagues to base actual player ratings on neutralized stats
  • Added a historical option called "Base roles/positions on...", which can be either real life stats or AI evaluation. Real life is the default when using recalc, which results in even more realistic stats as players will be used like in real life.
  • Added a recalc option called "Double weight of current year", which will do just that when recalc is enabled.
  • Improved historical season importing speed
Features for online leagues
  • Rankable draft lists
  • Replays included in online league file
  • Option to hide scores in the schedule screen for increased tension while watching replays
  • Players now react within a maximum of 5 days when receiving and offer
Other features
  • Improved artificial intelligence across the board
  • Improved player development that eliminates those aggravating sudden talent "jumps" or "bumps," resulting in a vast array of realistic career arcs.
  • Improved several HTML reports
  • Top prospect lists are now either egnerated once a year or dynamically. Players get their ranking added to the player history.
  • Ballpark images can be loaded from any folder with select file dialog now
  • A customizable backup function that makes it easier than ever to ensure you are getting solid backups of the leagues that are important to you
  • Universal binary for Mac users, resulting in huge performance improvement on that platform
  • New skin options, giving you three to choose from. Additionally, leagues can now have their own fictional logos, and logo sizes have been increased to take more advantage of our skilled modder community!
  • Added "Disliked" as a player popularity value. This will happen for example when a player gets suspended for using drugs.
Whew! That's a lot of stuff! Of course, we've also spent time clearing up some nagging issues from previous versions, and we're confident this will be the best OOTP yet!

Keep an eye on your e-mail, as we'll be sending out some more detailed explanations of select features over the few days remaining before June 18th!

Thanks,

The OOTP Developments Team

Pre-order Out of the Park Baseball 9 now and save 15.00!

OOTP 9 PC/Windows Web Store
OOTP 9 Mac Web Store

Copyright © 2008 by Out of the Park Developments. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy and Copyright Information

[IMG]chrome://linkalert/skin/small/new-icon.png[/IMG]
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Customization features
  • A revised playoff system, with many more customizable options
  • Added the option to assign nations to teams in the league setup
  • Player creation utilizes different team nationalities in a league
  • Increased the secondary roster size max limit to 70
  • Increased the expanded roster size max limit to 70
  • Added a 'cannot be fired' option to the manager options
  • Added personality ratings to customizeable player lists
  • Added "turn into coach" feature for retired players

You know what would be useful for online leagues from a customization standpoint - editable DL lengths. 15-day is realistic, but is STINKS for leagues that sim a week at a time (basically to put a guy on the DL, you put him there for 21 days; 14 days would be ideal).
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

Well hopefully loyalty and work ethic and intelligence have been added to those fancy new HTML player pages.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You know what would be useful for online leagues from a customization standpoint - editable DL lengths. 15-day is realistic, but is STINKS for leagues that sim a week at a time (basically to put a guy on the DL, you put him there for 21 days; 14 days would be ideal).

In a couple of the leagues I have been in, we alternated between 7 and 8 day sims to avoid this issue.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I've been playing the hell out of OOTP8 for the past 3 months (Solo league playing every game). I just don't see enough here to update an already fine game. Looks like this feature is more for historical or online - which is fine just not the way I play the game.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm ready for the new version.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

kinda stoked for this
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Really like the ball animation, simple, but will improve ingame immersion for me a ton.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I guess I gotta buy it.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #16
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I've been playing the hell out of OOTP8 for the past 3 months (Solo league playing every game). I just don't see enough here to update an already fine game. Looks like this feature is more for historical or online - which is fine just not the way I play the game.

The game is improved greatly in every area. The AI & player development improvements alone are worth the $25 upgrade price in my opinion... and on top of that you get 60+ other new features
Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Surprised that Markus didn't respond with this but it looks like he just added this feature.
21C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ball animation seems like a simple thing to get hung-up on, but i agree that it will greatly improve my in-game immersion.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Well I am getting more and more convinced I might have to get this even though I was upset about the OOTP8 roster issues.

Has the Intentional walk issue been fixed Markus? The ones where your team will be losing 4-2 in the 9th, get a leadoff double and the next guy is intentional walked. It has helped me make a lot of 9th inning comebacks but just doesnt seem too realistic.

The only other real game play issues I really had were that it seemed easier to steal 3rd than 2nd and the AI lineups change too drastically vs R and L pitchers.

This game is getting very close to perfect....
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

lol...well done Markus.

(I'm assuming this is something that can be done post-league creation)
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
andy m
High School Varsity

check THESE animated balls!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

As a solo player who plays out his games, the vastly improved PbP is worth the upgrade price. It is way better than last years PbP.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

To save $15.00, it's a no-brainer for me... even if the last version I really go into was 6.5.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Hey Markus, I think I sold at least one copy on another board where I posted the newsletter and explained the game to some hardcore baseball fans into fantasy and SOM. Can I get a commission?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Ksyrup

Wait...hardcore, fantasy, S[&]M...that last post reads a little strangely.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #26
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Wait...hardcore, fantasy, S[&]M...that last post reads a little strangely.

It does, I had to do a double take

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM   #27
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Okay - I did the pre-order... Can we import during a season or is it best to import when season is complete? I have about 30 games left in the 2008 season (play out each game). I should be able to finish before release

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #28
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Okay - I did the pre-order... Can we import during a season or is it best to import when season is complete? I have about 30 games left in the 2008 season (play out each game). I should be able to finish before release

Yeah, you can import whenever you want but it is suggested to do it between seasons. I'm like you, play 'em all out and have 26 games left in my current season so I should be done with regular season by release and if lucky the playoffs too. If not it won't take me long to finish so being patient won't be a problem
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I already preordered. Whether or not, I get into a ton isn't an issue. There are certain games I buy every year regardless if I play them alot or not.

They are Football Manager, EHM before it was gone, FOF and OOTP Baseball.

I will buy NCAA & Madden every other year, but I at leasr rent a copy every year.

Some years, its worth it more then others. But for the text sim market its a no brainer for me. I'll spend the money, because I don't want it to go away.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #30
Anthony
Banned

i didn't realize preorder period lasted until the day before the game comes out. i'm totally gonna buy this game and get it for $25.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #31
Anthony
Banned

ohhhhh baby. preordered right now at 11:56 pm, with 3 minutes to spare.

fuck you Markus - you ain't getting that extra $15!!! LOL
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #32
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I picked up the pre-order too. Looks too promising to pass up while saving the $15.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #33
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Markus is in Germany, so isn't it already June 18th there? I just tried to download, but it's not ready yet.

Last edited by Lonnie : 06-17-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #34
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

You wanna know how close I came? I saw your post and rushed off to pre-order. I should have realized this would be on GMT. And, yes, I made it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #35
CraigSca
Pro Starter

He wrote that the download should be available at 2pm est Wednesday.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #36
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yeah I saw that in the other post after I posted here. Is that 2pm GMT?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In honor of Markus releasing yet another top-notch iteration of the OOTP series, we need to do something special to honor it..

Hmm.. I know, we can put the topic into german..

Which would you rather see?

Here we go Boyz, the Out Of the Park Baseball 9 Impressions Thread

or..

(forgive me for the babelfishing)

Hier gehen wir die Jungen, aus dem Eindrucks-Gewinde des Park-Baseball- heraus9
Old 06-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

Damn. I have to buy the game for our revival of the new JBL. I didn't know there was a pre-order (or totally forgot). This sucks.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Damn. I have to buy the game for our revival of the new JBL. I didn't know there was a pre-order (or totally forgot). This sucks.

new JBL? (perks)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

I just now preordered for $24.99. Gotta love preordering something four hours before it's released...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #41
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Can you still preorder it?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #42
JeeberD
General Manager

As of 9am you could. I would assume it's still possible...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-18-2008 at 09:42 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #43
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
As of 9am you could. I would assume it's still possible...

Yup, the preorder still works.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
In honor of Markus releasing yet another top-notch iteration of the OOTP series, we need to do something special to honor it..

Hmm.. I know, we can put the topic into german..

Which would you rather see?

Here we go Boyz, the Out Of the Park Baseball 9 Impressions Thread

or..

(forgive me for the babelfishing)

Hier gehen wir die Jungen, aus dem Eindrucks-Gewinde des Park-Baseball- heraus9

Let's stick to English. The German will be an ugly precedent.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote