Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The City of Heroes MMO Thread

Because we were overtaking the 2011 MMO thread.

Also see:
COH\COV Roll Call Part Deux: Virtue Server - Front Office Football Central
2011 MMORPG Thread - Front Office Football Central

I soloed a stalker through Praet. and I have to say I'm rather impressed with the zone at this point. I really liked a number of the missions in terms of story lines and dialog. I had to chuckle at Crow saying he preferred straight ahead action and me being on my stalker going into hide and him taking the brunt of the alpha since he wasn't hidden. I did the Resistance arc and ended up likely the more extremist option on there. I should have gotten the more pacifist contact going for the last part and went back to them after I finished the other contacts because now I'm level 19.1 with no arcs so I have to solo the missions found via the one guy who just gives you random missions.

Oh, and I rolled a stalker. This considering I had beta access to CoV and only rolled one stalker way early. I got him to maybe level 8 seeing how the AT played out only to find out if you are ambushed you aren't hidden anymore. I was so pissed I wrote off the AT from that point on. Now, I am looking for things I haven't really done in the game and having a stalker is one of the few. My playing one this time has been fun from the get go and I've accepted the more scrapper side of the AT. It almost feels like I should go, "Why didn't you people tell me it was this fun from the beginning?" It's a Kin/nin for those curious. The more I play it the more Elec/nin sounds rather nice, but I'm just going to stick with this one. My altism suffers from "the grass is greener" syndrome even though what I'm playing is fun.

I really like bruising on tanks. I grabbed my SD/ss and ran around Atlas taking on +level mobs and using very little inspirs for it.

I finally broke down and did the revamped Posi. So much better even if there is at least one annoying mission in there. I just need to do it enough to get familiar with it. The last mission I was clueless where to go most of the time.

Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I play on Virtue and Protector, almost exclusively. Anyone can add me to your global friends list. I'll team anytime or offer help to any newer players whenever needs.

@beach lifeguard

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

I've recently started playing again (on Virtue), usually weekday mornings/early afternoons. If I'm around I'll be happy to team up with y'all, though I've been pretty much exclusively soloing since I've been back, so it may take me a bit to relearn the team dynamic.

@JeeberD

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

I play blue-side on Virtue and red-side on Champion. My play times are the diametric opposite of Jeeber's - typically in the 10PM - 1AM range (sometimes a little earlier if it's a slow weekday).

I solo a lot - typically I'm just looking for a little relaxation with not much interaction (anonymously joining trials actually isn't bad for that - I can get in, do my job and get out with nary a word spoken). Run some tips, do a little crafting, hop between characters, etc; no real set plan (one EARLY complaint I got when FOBLers were still playing - well, mostly just from al_hill - was that I JUST WOULDN'T STICK TO HELPING OUT WITH MY TANK. I was off leveling alts while other mains outleveled me. Not a concern now, but it made teaming harder in 2005.)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Blue side: Freedom, Virtue, Victory
Red side: Freedom
Superteam: Justice(Hardcore SG)

I got level 35 commons in my Ice/ice blaster and Dark/stone tank so I can start to push them on. I tried out the tank to see what I could due in terms of difficulty setting and the lack of damage cuts into making it worth while to solo on large mobs for now. I finally started to use merits to get recipes and I had a character with 400+ merits so I picked up the +end proc for my tank, but that's still a rather brutal build for end usage. It's not even a post i19 build where I would toss in Tough and Weave. I need to get Acro out of there so there is one less toggle, but that's also fitting in +KB prot. IOs as well. Thankfully this is a build I'm going to invest being an Incarnate on so end issues will be taken care off in the end.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good time to buy/upgrade, $14.99 @ GameStop:

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/cit...llection/77978

Haven't been able to play this week outside of one trial on my Fire/Fire (travel, only have laptop access). Went ok despite three dc's. I think blasting away at things on the BAF will be fun, hope to do a bunch with her when I can.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok - back home and running trials. Went something like this:

1. Blu Blazes (fire blaster) - BAF. Was THE FASTEST I've been on. Extremely smooth. Got either an uncommon or a rare, I forget.

2. Blu Blazes - BAF. This was the same group I think, trying for MoBAF. It...did not go well. Failed, in fact. Would have much rather just gone for a regular; instead we were greedy and got nothing. Worth noting though that it appeared that both AVs were down, but apparently they weren't in time and both respawned. Fell apart after that.

3. Astrasmash (Grav/Storm) - Lambda. Completed...and got the 10 thread booby prize. Huzzah, the game thinks I door sit.

4. Astrasmash - BAF. Actually I think she did a couple of these. Snagged a rare in one, and finished off her MoBAF badge.

5. Spectral Shot - BAF. Got an uncommon I think.

6. Lady Elixir - Lambda. Was tough, but I got through it. Got an uncommon.
7. Lady Elixir - Lambda. Was tough, got through it, but the game thought I was a leech again. 10 threads.
8. Lady Elixir - BAF. Pulled to adds spawn point, went smoothly. Uncommon.

Despite the poor rolls, Lady E unlocked Interface and slotted it with [Paralytic Radial Interface]. At least she has something incarnate slotted now (and a Tier 2 to boot).
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

Is it still $15/mo?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yes.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Time for another update, and I'll copy this over from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
There's no way I'm going to be able to trick out all of my characters though. Going through this for 15 50s? Not happening. Heck, not all of them even have Alpha unlocked. I think the order of preference will be:

Ill/TA Troller - has the +1 Alpha, is near perma-PA, is versatile and just generally fun.

Emp/Psi Def - Because, well, she can't do much by herself. But, I do like the character. So content where teaming is required seems like a pretty good thing for her to do.

WM/SD Brute - the most complete of my villains. For whatever reason I don't really like teaming with my melee types (some burden of leadership), but I wouldn't mind it with him.

Fire/Fire Blaster - fun factor. I love blasting, blasting and more blasting.

Grav/Storm troller - again, versatility. Plus she's my only other toon with the +1 from Alpha thus far.

After that, probably nobody gets much focus.

KM/EA brute - possibly. A recent 50 that does get played still.
Mind/Kin troller - maybe. Would be useful for the kin, not so sure otherwise.
Inv/EM tank - bleh.
BS/Regen - eh, probably not.
DB/WP - not too exciting.
Night Widow - never feel like playing her much.
Plant/Thorn dom - ditto. Usually even forget I have him at 50.
Ice/MM blaster - nice, but not as fun as the Fire.
NRG/Kin corr - eh, she's just a mess.
Mercs/Poison MM - getting tired just *thinking* about the resummoning.

Actually as things are going...I could see maybe doing this eventually on quite a few 50s, to experience the trials on a wider array of characters and to have a variety of Incarnate power combos.

So far though, I have only focused on the ones I had singled out, with the exception of the WM/SD brute.

Grav/Storm - probably the most advanced at this point. +1 in Alpha ([Cardiac]), +1 from Lore ([Warworks Total Core Improved Ally]). [Gravimetric] in the Interface slot, I forget if it is 2nd or 3rd tier (Gravimetric might not be a popular choice overall, but she IS a Grav, and I was thinking -speed might actually be handy on things like the BAF escape phase). [Cryonic] in Judgement, though again I forget how far up the chain I am. Thinking of going Total Radial for even more -speed/rech. Go for the total overkill. The only thing I need to do is unlock Destiny. I am thinking [Clarion] there, as mez protection is never bad for a toon w/o it already.

Emp/Psi - Been playing her more the last couple days, and have even gotten to and destroyed objectives in the Lambda! And not gotten just threads! Finally slotted [Spiritual Boost] in my Alpha (Radial next), has...ah geez, what does she have in Lore? I honestly need to check. But it's slotted. Going to get that Tier 3 if it already isn't, then work on Lore (going [Seers]) and Destiny [Ageless]). For a Psi toon that carries a Medieval mantle (if not actually surviving FROM the period), both make sense. I'll go Ion if no Psi-based Judgement power comes along, though hopefully it will.

Ill/TA - has [Musculature Total Radial Revamp] in Alpha, and I wouldn't mind eventually getting Tier 4 there. Started with [Void] in Judgement, haven't unlocked the others. Will probably go [Reactive], [Clockwork] (kinda match the faceless PA), [Clarion] (again).

Fire/Fire Blaster - has still only done a couple of BAF, have to run more. Man, it is fun blowing **** up. Needs to progress with [Cardiac], will go [Pyronic] (duh), [Reactive] (MOAR FIRE), [IDF] (something different). Not really sure on the Destiny buff.

---------------

I wasn't aware before that you could also build Alpha components from trial salvage. I'm MUCH more likely to do trials than TF, so this makes me happy. They just seem to work better for me. And if I were to reassess my list, I'd probably bump my NRG/Kin corr well up the list of who to run considering I can unlock Alpha and also find a decent role at least on the BAF.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Leaving off from the previous thread, pretty much all the IOs I was crafting bottomed out in terms of profit and I was stuck with a number of guys simply holding them. I pulled and relisted just to get rid of them and moved on to other IOs. I'm doing better than before and got my main up to 1.991 billion with something like 100 mill to be sold so I consider them capped. I'll still hit the market with her and just skim off the top whatever I'm getting back extra and e-mail it to alts.

I had another character hit the billion mark, but they donated heavily to my Kat/sr so I could IO out that build. They are back within range of a billion, so I'll send off another amount to another character and likely work on getting a third character on a 3rd server set up so I can just have three characters using what extra they get to loan out to whoever needs it on their particular server.

I'm working on IOing my level 21 Kin/nin via frankenslotting and they will be my character for A-merits. After that I need to do the same for my level 24 Spines/elec and have them work tickets/prestige.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Matthean, when do the Iron Eagles meet, and do you usually have room for newcomers?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Thursday at 8pm eastern. We usually do midsized teams so we always have room for more. I haven't posted on the thread for it, but I'm changing jobs so I'll be getting on a little later 9ish maybe, but I'll be there when I can. We usually run 8-10, and then some take a break. I know there are some who come back, but I'm usually in bed. That will change shortly though.

Iron Eagles II - Defeat is Permanent SG J/H - City of Heroes Forums

Just go to the end of the thread.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Hardcore night for anybody interested. Iron Eagles is the channel. 8pm is the start time. Justice is the server. We do tend to have a rule that the first 10 levels are free. If you want to stick to any death rule, that's up to you. Even with ten free levels, getting to 20 is an accomplishment. We went lowbies last week, but that might change based on who shows up.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Is there a trial for this game?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Is there a trial for this game?

Yes, for the standard 14 days. I personally find the restrictions rather annoying. They used to be decent(level restricted to 14 and that's about it I thought), but that got changed.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Awww, miss HellSpirit and Angel Azul
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Oh and Lori Swifthands too!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Since it is 8:40 and I am just getting home, i obviously missed the Iron Eagles tonight, but I'll try again next week.

Also, for anybody who used to have an account, May 10-18 is free reactivation week. Come try the game back out for free for a week!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I was due. I have yet to delete an IE character since coming back to the SG. I have a level 25 blaster and while it's fun, it does a lot of knockback which at the end of the day I kind of feel sorry for the melee characters we play with. I have a high level Ice/ice elsewhere that I love so I figure I would roll one for the IEs and I had locked into my head that it was going to outdo my other blaster since Ice/ice is one of the most defensive blasters. We were cruising along and I committed CoH 101 newbie kind of an error. I flew too low to the rooftops in Steel. Anybody who has played CoH knows what's coming. Clockwork. Freaking high level clockwork nailed my level 11 Ice/ice blaster out of the sky. *sigh*

And yes, I'm rerolling the build, but I'm going to wait until my other blasters are done and then just use an Ice/ice as my one pick for when I want to use a blaster.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Another pump for hardcore night. Should be interesting with the event going on and the mass lag that it causes.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #22
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Ugh. I shouldn't have looked at this thread. It's been many moons since I've cancelled my subscription but I do remember having good times with the group.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #23
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

^^ fun times indeed!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #24
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Ugh. I shouldn't have looked at this thread. It's been many moons since I've cancelled my subscription but I do remember having good times with the group.

Man I remember a ton of us playing this when it first came out, Hangfire has been dormant for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So I shouldn't post pics of characters?

Outfit via the Mac item pack.

Spines/elec scrapper using power customization for both sets.

And yes, be happy I don't have the Animal pack. Some of that is done rather well. One of my favorite looks is an animal looking character with a weapon and Shield power set.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
Bonegavel

Sigh. I reactivated my account. Downloading the 4gb of files as I type this. I have my daughter this weekend so I may or may not be on since I'm not sure what we are doing. Will probably jump on tonight after she goes to bed.

Yes Qwik and DC! I'm curious to see if my characters are still there or if they've died of old age.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #27
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wonder if I could still retrieve Don the Baptist?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #28
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This is reactivation weekend, so you should get some free time to check things out.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah this just isn't grabbing me. Oh well.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #30
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Wonder if I could still retrieve Don the Baptist?

Heh, remember Penolope [sic] ? I hit my friends list and it showed her in Pocket D!! I almost gasped proper-like and we proceeded to chat for about 15 mins. And Don the Baptist is still on my friends list there too. Ahh the memories.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #31
Bonegavel

Speaking of memories (it's been 4 years since I've last logged in and all my characters are there) I ran around town as my level 50 guy and while the key combos for super run and fly came back to me in an instant, the rest is a bit more forgotten.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #32
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of memories (it's been 4 years since I've last logged in and all my characters are there) I ran around town as my level 50 guy and while the key combos for super run and fly came back to me in an instant, the rest is a bit more forgotten.

Play your old favorites, but since you have been gone for so long, I would roll a new character and kind of relearn the game from there. There has been a lot changed since you last played. I would do the standard sewer team until level 5ish and then go to Kings Row and do scanner missions(contact instantly shows up as a target when you zone) until you get a jet pack as a temp travel power.

You can continue doing those for as long as you like, but the Hollows got reworked so you might want to see the changes there. It's basically been made newbie proof and Frostfire gets a cut scene now.

Once you hit level 12 so you can slot DOs, run both parts of the reworked Posi TF. It's the Weekly TF until Tuesday so you will get bonus rewards for completing the first part.

Another thing to note is the fitness pool is an inherit now, you can slot it the same, so there is a lot less end issues in the game early. Any build that had Fitness still has it. Once you respec, you get it at level 2 by default, so plan ahead if you are actually doing a respec.

A couple of nice tools will be Mid's planner and Titian Sentinel. Mid's lets you plan out builds. Sentinel, among other things, let's you log into a guy and then grab a copy of your active build in Mid's form.

CoH Planner - Home to Mids' Hero Designer and SuckerPunch's Online Planner
Titan Sentinel - Titan Network's Original Character Tracker

You should need to register, but get the map overlay from Vidiotmaps.

Badge-Hunter & Vidiotmaps -> Vidiotmaps Downloads -> Vidiotmaps Map Pack -> Vidiotmaps Map Pack Overlay
Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #33
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

For anybody who wants to return for the free promotion, hit me up @beach lifeguard. I'll be on a bunch tonight. I'll team up on any server at any level range. I'll even start up new toons if you want to start fresh.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #34
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'll likely be on Victory for much of the weekend in terms of playing. I am aiming for two more Posi TFs on a couple of guys there.

I soloed my SD/ss tank to 11 and was aiming for 12 so I could slot DOs/IOs in it and thus be ready to do a Posi TF. I got a team invite from a higher team and when I was done I was at level 17. It's early and getting on only one team and it being decent does cloud things, but I really like the build. With Rage, Footstomp, and Shield Charge to go, I think I'm willing to deal with the Rage crash. Once that is taken care of, it's all good from there.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #35
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm back in the mix, breaking Don the Baptist (Level 42, soon to be 43, Tanker) out of the cobwebs after about 4 years of inactivity.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #36
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Victory's lower pop strikes again. I just got to where sometimes I don't feel like putting in the effort to lead a team every time I do something there and that's hoping you get enough to actually do a TF. There was nothing in terms of options for a Posi TF. So yeah, I did a Posi TF on Virtue instead with the above pictured Spines/elec. Dinged 28. For those who that doesn't make 100% sense, you can still earn exp while you are exempted down now.

Somebody in the main channel I use on Virtue was willing to sell a LotG Def/+Recharge for 75 mill. I found I had an extra LotG: Def so I crafted both and will take the earnings to buy two LotG Def/+Recharges. Today I was looking at finding a way to get 5 of those. Now I'm down to 3. I put bids out for the IOs I need for Stamina and once those are in the build it will be close enough to where I can play it even if I'm not using everything just yet. If I hadn't IOed out the build, I would have two people at the influ cap. Instead the one is merely at 500 mill. I don't think I'm gonna IO a build out until I have a bunch of merits and A-merits stored up to cut down the cost.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #37
hoopsguy
General Manager

I went ahead and rolled up a new alt on Victory today, decided to check out the "Going Rogue" storyline. I'm up to Level 9, having a lot of fun playing as a Loyalist undercover (deep, deep undercover based on my actions) with the Resistance.

On the verge of leaving the first city, and realizing that I need to start actually investing in my character rather than just slotting what I find as I've been doing so far.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I went ahead and rolled up a new alt on Victory today, decided to check out the "Going Rogue" storyline. I'm up to Level 9, having a lot of fun playing as a Loyalist undercover (deep, deep undercover based on my actions) with the Resistance.

On the verge of leaving the first city, and realizing that I need to start actually investing in my character rather than just slotting what I find as I've been doing so far.

You need to be level 20 to leave Praet. I HATED that area to start because teams didn't know how to handle the mobs and the mobs had a unusual amount of ranged energy attacks, which hardly anybody has resistance, or defense to at that point. I saw countless teams run in and get mowed down instantly. Traveling around was annoying to start since you had to look around some times to figure out where to go in the underground. Having taken time to go through the zone a number of times and solo it with my stalker I think it's one of the best areas in the game. Whoever did the mission writing and story arcs really put some time and effort into. I ended up doing the extremist Resistance arcs and liked those the most.

Dinged 50 on my Kat/sr on Virtue that had been sitting at 49 for some time, 47 on my Ill/rad on Freedom, and 48 on my Plant/storm that's on Victory. Both controllers have yet to use their epic pools for any of the Weekly Task Forces(W.T.Fs). Lady Grey TF(level 45-50) is the W.T.F. next week starting Tuesday will change that finally. The Plant/storm should ding 50. I think my Ill/rad will be close. 2 out of my next 3 for being the next to get pushed to 50 have their enhancements done. Just got to update my Ice/ice tank on Virtue and then I'm ready to go.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #39
Bonegavel

In addition to a few hours with Marmel, I managed to stumble into a few good team-ups this weekend and did the Positron TF with my Don-the-Baptist inspired Axe/Inv Tank. The servers seem horrifically empty and I consider myself lucky to have found these groups. I really enjoy group efforts but the soloing through the same old arcs with low levels is almost torture especially when you have to run a mile on sprint at level 5.

My handle is @bonegavel

Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #40
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In addition to a few hours with Marmel, I managed to stumble into a few good team-ups this weekend and did the Positron TF with my Don-the-Baptist inspired Axe/Inv Tank. The servers seem horrifically empty and I consider myself lucky to have found these groups. I really enjoy group efforts but the soloing through the same old arcs with low levels is almost torture especially when you have to run a mile on sprint at level 5.

My handle is @bonegavel

If you aren't doing the end game trials, farming, or the W.T.F., teams will be bare even on the more popular servers. Part of me likes Victory since I started there, but doing normal teams there is rather difficult. I've caved to the idea of leveling via TFs only. I solo characters to 12 so I can get some DOs and start the run of TFs. Another thing, if I am soloing for the lower levels, I tend to use the mission creator that's in game since the contacts are right there. You just really need to be careful in terms of what arcs you select so you don't want something with overly difficult content in it.

If you want a chance for regular teams, Freedom and Virtue are the best places to do it.

Last edited by Matthean : 05-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #41
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm the oddball here...but up until you start being able to do radio missions I just like to street sweep. I rolled a Traps/DP defender on Freedom a couple weeks ago ("Global Badge") and just beat up on Hellions, Clocks and Vahz in Galaxy. Before I knew it I was level 6 and off to KR.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #42
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My handle is @bonegavel

For teams, make toons on Virtue or Freedom. I prefer Virtue, but Freedom has its supporters. I never have a problem getting a team. Join global channels. This is where a lot of teaming starts up. I can give you some great ones on virtue.

As for low levels hero side, sewers teams are almost always forming and that is a quick way to get from 1-7 or 8. Then jump to Kings row, do 3 missions and a safeguard and you have a temp travel power. I think the game takes off at level 15. You get your travel power at 14, and then Faultline arcs open at 15, which are some of the best in the game. There are 2 more at level 20 over there. Striga missions at level 20 are good. Croatoa at 25 and 30 for 4 more story arcs with great end of arc XP bonuses. Level 22 gets you to SO enhancements. The early 30's are a tiny bit of a slowdown, but you get your tier 9 power at 32. Level 35 opens up Ritki War Zone. Late 30's have always been and still are a slow go, particularly 38-40. After 40 there is just tons of stuff to do.

With the superside-kicking, you can exempt down now and still earn full XP. Even better, you still keep powers 5 levels within the exemp level. For instance, a level 38 exemping down to do level 30 stuff still keeps their level 32 and 35 powers. Also, high level players usually have no problem inviting any level to join high level stuff with the new super sidekicking system. Don't feel locked into doing team stuff at your level only.

Edited to add: I believe you can craft a temporary travel power from level 1 at the market/university. That cash I gave you should buy you a few thousand jet packs!

Also, for the brave at heart, you can buy a jet pack in Firebase Zulu for 10,000. I think it last 2 hours of game time. You can get there at any level, but talk about a long ass walk for a level 1. Though it would be cool to see a level 1 with all the Shadow Shard exploration badges!

Last edited by Marmel : 05-16-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #43
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Confirmed: You can buy a Jet Pack recipe and the salvage to create it at Wentworths, then jump over to the University and craft it. It is good for 30 minutes of game time. Wentworths and the University are right next door to each other in the South part of Steel Canyon. A level 1 can do this walk and craft in 5 minutes, easily.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #44
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I'll keep going:

New players often overlook the great benefits of the temp powers that are next to free at the market. Some great supplemental attacks, heals, and other stuff. If you are playing a defender or something that doesn't do a lot of damage, this stuff helps!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #45
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I'll keep going:

New players often overlook the great benefits of the temp powers that are next to free at the market. Some great supplemental attacks, heals, and other stuff. If you are playing a defender or something that doesn't do a lot of damage, this stuff helps!

And those temp attacks are easier to use if you have any way to debuff defense. Thankfully, the lower damage ATs, defenders and controllers, have access to def debuffs on some of their support sets. You also can use yellow inspirations to boost your acc for them to be easier to work. Levels 1-20 they also made it easier to hit as a way to help people level during those levels.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #46
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Steampunk pack trailer.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #47
Bonegavel

Good info! I miss the days where you couldn't swing a dead Hellion without hitting a group in search of members.

If I have a free respec on my characters... A) how do I know and B) how do I redeem it?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #48
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Yes, for the standard 14 days. I personally find the restrictions rather annoying. They used to be decent(level restricted to 14 and that's about it I thought), but that got changed.

Banged into the Level 14 cap for the trial/reactivation last night. Bummer, would have liked to keep exploring the storylines for another few days but hard to be motivated playing a character without gaining XP. Which is odd, since I knew I was 99% going to be walking away from the game again at the end of the trial. Doesn't intuitively make sense, but I know that I was pretty frustrated when I realized I had not been getting XP for a couple of missions.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #49
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Banged into the Level 14 cap for the trial/reactivation last night. Bummer, would have liked to keep exploring the storylines for another few days but hard to be motivated playing a character without gaining XP. Which is odd, since I knew I was 99% going to be walking away from the game again at the end of the trial. Doesn't intuitively make sense, but I know that I was pretty frustrated when I realized I had not been getting XP for a couple of missions.

Re-subscribe!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #50
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Good info! I miss the days where you couldn't swing a dead Hellion without hitting a group in search of members.

If I have a free respec on my characters... A) how do I know and B) how do I redeem it?

First, try typing: /respec
That will take you right to your respec if you have one.

Otherwise, you might get a message when you type that that says go see.........Jack Wolff???? I think that is who it is. Either way, it is the guy in City Hall in Galaxy City.

Finally, if you have some vet badges, you might be able to redeem a respec. For those, I think you have to click on the badge and then go see Wolff.

Edited to add: If none of that works, then you don't have one. You can buy one on the market. The prices have come down somewhat, but I think they are still over 100 million. Also, I am not sure, but I thought you could buy one for real money, but don't quote me on that. It could have just been a rumor.

Last edited by Marmel : 05-19-2011 at 03:59 PM.