Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #3202
Thomkal
Head Coach

crazy
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #3203
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He was assassinated. It is unbelievably sad.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #3204
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Yeah, shot in the mouth is an old mob execution for people who talk. I can't imagine that was random.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #3205
Groundhog
Coordinator

What a crazy coincidence and not at all a warning to future witnesses.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #3206
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. Thats a serious allegation against the police. Not one I dont disbelieve, but you think they would be more subtle.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #3207
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
What a crazy coincidence and not at all a warning to future witnesses.

Or maybe he was killed in a drug deal?

1 Arrested, 2 Wanted in Deadly Shooting of Guyger Trial Witness | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Old 10-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #3208
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

How much foil do you use in your hat?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #3209
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Seems to be a lot of weird holes in that story.

The drove 4 and a half hours to buy marijuana from Brown? No one buying marijuana is that committed. Who has a drug dealer that is 250 miles away?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #3210
Groundhog
Coordinator

What drug dealer (especially an unknown drug dealer at the time) is going to testify against police and draw more attention to himself? The whole story stinks.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #3211
bhlloy
Coordinator

Eh, if you execute somebody as the Dallas PD, you don't then arrest 3 people for it, and come up with some half cocked story about a 4 and a half hour drive to buy drugs when there's going to be a shit ton of circumstantial evidence and eye witnesses. You shoot one person so they can't testify at trial and then plant some evidence. The simplest explanation is the most likely one.

Of course nobody has mentioned the fact that he wasn't actually shot in the mouth and that was something that was just made up to stoke anger in the community against the police department.

Last edited by bhlloy : 10-08-2019 at 11:21 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #3212
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And if you want to execute a witness, shouldn't you do it BEFORE they testify?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #3213
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Seems to be a lot of weird holes in that story.

The drove 4 and a half hours to buy marijuana from Brown? No one buying marijuana is that committed. Who has a drug dealer that is 250 miles away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
What drug dealer (especially an unknown drug dealer at the time) is going to testify against police and draw more attention to himself? The whole story stinks.

You really think they were just buying ounce? Did you think that maybe Brown was serving as a middle man for a run from Mexico that involved a large volume of MJ and they were picking it up to take to the final destination? You do realize how common this scenario is across he US/Mexico border right? He may not have been a "full time" drug dealer, just did this on occasion for extra coin.

He may have been able to provide police details about the attackers before he died, saying he shot one, which would have led police to the wounded suspect.

It is really substantially less conceivable that they made this story up, than it is that this is some elaborate cover up crafted and carried out in a matter of days.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 10-09-2019 at 08:05 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #3214
Edward64
Head Coach

See video starting at approx 1 min.

This is a tough one. My question would be did the cops know all the information about the kid then or did it come out after?

I assume it was then vs after as 3 internal reviews ruled it justified.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/24/us/fr...ger/index.html
Quote:
Citing police statements, the father's lawsuit says that Murietta Golding was wanted for questioning in connection with a shooting one day earlier that had caused a fatal car crash. Fresno Police sought to question the teenager and pulled over a car in which he was a passenger, the lawsuit states.

The teenagers in the car initially complied with police. But Murietta Golding then took off running, the lawsuit states, leading to the fatal chase.

Fresno Police Chief Andrew Hall told CNN affiliate KSEE that the shooting was ruled justified by police's Internal Affairs Bureau, the Fresno County District Attorney's Office and the City of Fresno's Office of Independent Review.

"The use of lethal force in this case occurred while officers were investigating a homicide. The 16-year-old in this case was involved in the homicide with his brother and the brother was later arrested and pled guilty," Hall said.

"The (surveillance) video represents a different vantage point and was not what the pursuing officers could see. The 16-year-old was also known to carry firearms and had jumped a fence into a child daycare center."

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-24-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #3215
Radii
Head Coach

The kid is sprinting in the opposite direction. That video proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the officers lives were not in immediate danger to justify lethal force in that moment.

When you say “this is a tough one”, two thoughts go through my head:

1) this is a tough one to see someone shot from behind while posing no threat, even with this kid being troubled it saddens me to think that anyone might think that somehow in this moment this kid deserved to lose his life and any chance at change.
2) the only way it could be a tough decision to figure out whether this shooting is justified is if you feel that running from the police justifies lethal force.

Another thought: I would be absolutely terrified to be anywhere near someone whose instinctual reaction to this moment was “good shot”
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #3216
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how strong of evidence they have against the teen for the murder case.

I believe the Supreme Court has ruled in the past that a cop can shoot a suspect after they committed a violent felony even if there was no immediate threat to the officer. But I think that was a case where the cop witnesses the felony first hand. After all you can't let a murderer just run off into the night to repeat the act.

But to shoot a person you didn't personally witness committing the act, well the cop is probably boned unless there was a open and shut case and an APB out for the person.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #3217
Edward64
Head Coach

See video about 4 min point.

San Bernardino, California: Richard Sanchez Dropped His Gun, Put His Hands Up. Cop Shot Him 5 Times
Quote:
Officers yelled at Richard Sanchez to drop his gun - and eventually, he did. He started to walk toward law enforcement, out of a house a relative had fled to call 911 to report Sanchez was intoxicated, making threats and saying irrational things.

Police shouted for the 27-year-old man to put his hands up. He did that, too.

"Stop!" an officer ordered. Sanchez kept walking, arms still raised.

Three seconds and two commands later, the officer opened fire. Body-camera footage now released by police in San Bernardino, California, captures the five shots that killed Sanchez and a woman's screams as he fell onto the lawn.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #3218
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The kid is sprinting in the opposite direction. That video proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the officers lives were not in immediate danger to justify lethal force in that moment.

When you say “this is a tough one”, two thoughts go through my head:

1) this is a tough one to see someone shot from behind while posing no threat, even with this kid being troubled it saddens me to think that anyone might think that somehow in this moment this kid deserved to lose his life and any chance at change.
2) the only way it could be a tough decision to figure out whether this shooting is justified is if you feel that running from the police justifies lethal force.

Another thought: I would be absolutely terrified to be anywhere near someone whose instinctual reaction to this moment was “good shot”
I haven't watched the video, I don't know the specifics here beyond what's been posted here, and I generally don't trust police narratives, but you don't need to feel your life is in danger to justify lethal force. IF it's a known dangerous person & they're running towards civilians or a day care center...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #3219
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

The title is Richard Sanchez dropped his gun, put his hands up, and the cop shot him 5 times. However, they said to stop and he kept on walking right at the cop. I would've done the same thing. When a cop tells you to stop, you stop. It's not really complicated. He looked really weird too, like he was on drugs or something.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #3220
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The title is Richard Sanchez dropped his gun, put his hands up, and the cop shot him 5 times. However, they said to stop and he kept on walking right at the cop. I would've done the same thing. When a cop tells you to stop, you stop. It's not really complicated. He looked really weird too, like he was on drugs or something.

I'm sure cops are taught to shoot center mass but I do wonder in this situation they could have shot at his legs or taken out their tonfa (do they still have those?) and beat him down. The guy was pretty close, clearly not holding weapons in his hands, there were at least 2 cops etc.

I agree with you that the shooting seemed justified to me (although apparently not to the dept) but I think there could have been a little more restraint (5 shots seem excessive).

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-28-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #3221
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm sure cops are taught to shoot center mass but I do wonder in this situation they could have shot at his legs or taken out their tonfa (do they still have those?) and beat him down.

My cousin is a cop and we have had this discussion. They are trained to shoot center mass and to kill. Shooting is never used to try and incapacitate a subject. Every time I see something like this there is always someone on Twitter, etc...that says they should have shot the suspects knee,etc...and that just isn't realistic. It is too difficult an area to hit and you risk hitting an innocent bystander.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-28-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #3222
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My cousin is a cop and we have had this discussion. They are trained to shoot center mass and to kill. Shooting is never used to try and incapacitate a subject. Every time I see something like this there is always someone on Twitter, etc...that says they should have shot the suspects knee,etc...and that just isn't realistic. It is too difficult an area to hit and you risk hitting an innocent bystander.

Does your cousin think this was clearly a justified shoot and/or would he have handled it differently?
Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #3223
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Does your cousin think this was clearly a justified shoot and/or would he have handled it differently?

I have no idea. We didn't talk about this specific incident. The conversation I referenced was quite a while ago.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #3224
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
..... like he was on drugs or something.

That was what made it ok for Rodney King too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #3225
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well at least his son lived to tell the story...

DeSoto Texas police: Dallas officer shot son, thought he was intruder
Old 05-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #3226
RainMaker
General Manager

Insane how these people aren't in jail.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #3227
cuervo72
Head Coach

So they basically ambushed him.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #3228
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nope, not getting involved with this one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #3229
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wow, that incident has made me madder than I've been in a long time. Such ridiculous bullshit. If the races were reversed, those guys would 100% be in jail.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #3230
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That is horrible. It makes me sick.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #3231
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not only should they be sitting in a jail cell but anyone who saw this video and chose not to prosecute should lose their jobs.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #3232
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Not only should they be sitting in a jail cell but anyone who saw this video and chose not to prosecute should lose their jobs.

100%, and if this video was not out there it would have been swept under the rug, which is more sickening than the act itself.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-06-2020 at 08:18 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #3233
kingfc22
Head Coach

Fucking disgusting. Hang these fuckers from a tree because you know damn well they’d be looking to do the same damn thing.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #3234
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Fucking disgusting. Hang these fuckers from a tree because you know damn well they’d be looking to do the same damn thing.

Aren't we supposed to "rehabilitate" them?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #3235
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He’s certainly dressed like he was out for a run.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #3236
molson
General Manager

Glad they were charged, but there are challenges in this case due to one of my most hated things in state criminal codes - citizen arrest statutes.

We don't know what their claimed probable cause was for the "arrest", specifically, but if they had that power, than its a much more difficult case. But I suspect there wasn't much there.

Last edited by molson : 05-07-2020 at 07:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #3237
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Glad they were charged, but there are challenges in this case due to one of my most hated things in state criminal codes - citizen arrest statutes.

We don't know what their claimed probable cause was for the "arrest", specifically, but if they had that power, than its a much more difficult case. But I suspect there wasn't much there.

So you can shoot a guy in the back under certain situations?
Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #3238
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If the guy is fleeing a violent crime then yes police can anyways.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #3239
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It's always case-by-case, the statutes and caselaw usually aren't that specific, I'm just saying it's a completely different ballgame when there's a valid arrest power v. when there's not

Here, I'm very skeptical there was anything close to probable cause to implicate the victim in a crime. If there was, we haven't heard about it yet.

Last edited by molson : 05-07-2020 at 08:46 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #3240
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/us/ah...els/index.html
Old 05-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #3241
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/us/ah...els/index.html "In the more than seven weeks preceding the shooting, there was only one burglary report in the neighborhood, said Glynn County police Lt. Cheri Bashlor. A 9 mm pistol was stolen January 1 from an unlocked truck outside the McMichaels' home, she said."
No series of break-ins. Only that these bozos had irresponsibility left a gun in an unlocked car, and someone stole it. Then a neighbor had some security footage of a man that he thought looked like the victim on his property and down at his dock. Nothing was stolen in that case. No report of a violent crime. No justification for a citizens arrest.

I guess the only thing close to a defense is that it looks like the victim grabbed the gun, and it was shots from the tussle that killed him. The fact that they didn't have a right to stop him or threaten him with a gun in the first place would make that defense useless.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #3242
Ben E Lou

Does a local DA down there wield so much power that she thought she'd get away with this, or is she being thrown under the bus because they now realize that *someone* is gonna have to go down?

Glynn County commissioner says DA blocked arrests after fatal shooting
Old 05-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #3243
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Next phase is they get acquitted, then more riots, giving cops excuse to shoot more people...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #3244
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The cycle of life!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #3245
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The guy that filmed the confrontation was tracking the kid and working with the killers? Thats nuts. He must have realized felony murder was in his future
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #3246
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The guy that filmed the confrontation was tracking the kid and working with the killers? Thats nuts. He must have realized felony murder was in his future

wait the phone filmer was IN ON IT?!?!?!?

THAT"S SOOOOOOOOOO GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #3247
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
wait the phone filmer was IN ON IT?!?!?!?

THAT"S SOOOOOOOOOO GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I watched the GBI presser today. (Short, roughly 20 minutes including Q&A.) The Director confirmed that they're not done, and that the guy who filmed it is being investigated.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #3248
Ben E Lou

Dola...

The rumor is it that his job was to help box Arbery in. There’s the sound of what may be him cocking his gun in the video.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #3249
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I must admit I was very confused by the recording. I did not really see what was going on nor was I for certain what shots hit. But it did occur to me I wasn't sure how/why the movie existed and who was taking it. And why they just sat there. And why the 2 guys didn't care someone was watching them...
Old 05-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #3250
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I must admit I was very confused by the recording. I did not really see what was going on nor was I for certain what shots hit. But it did occur to me I wasn't sure how/why the movie existed and who was taking it. And why they just sat there. And why the 2 guys didn't care someone was watching them...

Yeah it makes more sense now. If I was a random person in a car pulling up on that I would high tail out of there.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote