Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #151
miami_fan
Coordinator

Chelsea sign Pulisic from Dortmund for 64m loan U.S. star back until summer
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #152
bhlloy
Coordinator

Absolutely shocking to see Rashford and Pogba thriving under a new manager. Almost as if Mourinho has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about. But that can’t be right, he’s the special one.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #153
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know how supporters of both teams feel after that game but I am exhausted!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #154
cougarfreak
College Starter

I’m a Liverpool guy, but that was a great game. Nice to see teams that go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #155
bhlloy
Coordinator

That was a great, great game. Kind of game that makes you throw your laptop out the window when you are playing FM19 and you are the wrong end of all those goalline clearances and posts.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #156
miami_fan
Coordinator

There is something about Tottenham bringing on Harry Kane after already being up 6-0 and it not being a "disrespect" thing for the opposing team that I appreciate. I get Spurs fans being nervous though.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #157
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just screamed out loud for a Manchester United goal. I am not a fan of Manchester United.

I had not realized that my dislike for Jose Mourinho had reached that level.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #158
digamma
Torchbearer

Can someone with more knowledge than me give me insight on Josef Martinez re-signing with AUFC? I thought he was pretty much a lock to go overseas. Does that mean there wasn't interest?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #159
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I doubt any team would pay him what Atlanta was offering. I'd imagine his salary is now $4-5mil. And he really likes it here and wasn't agitating to go back to Europe.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cardiff City Emiliano Sala on board missing plane French Civil Aviation Authority
Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #161
bhlloy
Coordinator

Absolutely sick to my stomach. What an awful year for the EPL.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #162
AlexB
Pro Starter

It’s extremely sad all round, but as a Leicester fan it’s terrible that it’s Cardiff affected.

They were amazingly respectful both when we played them immediately after the helicopter accident and on the return game just afer Christmas, above and beyond what you’d even hope for from opposition fans.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #163
bhlloy
Coordinator

Cheers mate. We have a bit of a bad reputation but it was nice to see that occasion so well observed and all the nice things that Leicester fans had to say afterwards. Unfortunately (even though this really cant compare to losing your beloved chairman in some ways) the two clubs will be even further linked now.

Obviously what happens on the field is furthest from everyone’s mind in a situation like this, but I’m heading back for two games in February and not sure what general mood will be around the club, especially given some of the info that will likely come out between now and then.

Just read it looks like they found debris from the plane earlier this evening. Desperately sad.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #164
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Absolutely sick to my stomach. What an awful year for the EPL.

Brutal year indeed. Condolences to Cardiff City, Nantes and the supporters of both clubs.

Last edited by miami_fan : 01-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 AM   #165
21C
College Prospect

Came across a new site on soccer by the Sports Reference people.
Football Statistics and History | FBref.com

Baseball Reference and Pro Football Reference are two of my go-to sites for stats and general information and I like the fact that they are going to give the same attention to the soccer (football) world. It looks to still be in its infancy but it appears to have a lot of the information that I have often looked for but had trouble finding - at least all in one place.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #166
miami_fan
Coordinator

I did not see a second of the final game
I did not see a second of the tournament.
I am biased, I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever and could be completely wrong.

Just so we are clear. Now then...

Qatar winning its first Asian Cup feels like something that needs to be investigated.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #167
bhlloy
Coordinator

Haven’t they pumped millions into their program ahead of the World Cup and got some dual-nationals playing for them? I mean it’s definitely a surprise, but it’s not like they beat Brazil and Germany to win it. They have also had some decent results at youth level over the past 10 years IIRC.

Now when they get to the quarters of the World Cup after a few controversial decisions late in games like every other host, it will probably be time to sound the alarm.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #168
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I won a little money on Chelsea today, but really annoyed that A I didn't bet more and B I didn't take plus money on some bigger spreads. I knew they were going to kill Huddersfield today after their putrid last performance.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #169
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I did not see a second of the final game
I did not see a second of the tournament.
I am biased, I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever and could be completely wrong.

Just so we are clear. Now then...

Qatar winning its first Asian Cup feels like something that needs to be investigated.
The results suggest Qatar didn't just win, they cruised through it like they were from a different planet. But without having seen full games, I can't really confirm or question it all went in a fair way.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #170
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Haven’t they pumped millions into their program ahead of the World Cup and got some dual-nationals playing for them? I mean it’s definitely a surprise, but it’s not like they beat Brazil and Germany to win it. They have also had some decent results at youth level over the past 10 years IIRC.

Now when they get to the quarters of the World Cup after a few controversial decisions late in games like every other host, it will probably be time to sound the alarm.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/s...asian-cup.html

Dual national questions, but the tournament was in UAE which is currently blockading Qatar, so it wasn't home cooking or giving in to tournament organizers from the refs.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #171
miami_fan
Coordinator

Interesting decision on that Leicester penalty.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #172
miami_fan
Coordinator

Might be time to check the ol DVR for this week's Bundesliga matches.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #173
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I really wanted to bet the over 2.5 goals in this game but the juice was pretty high.

oops..
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #174
bhlloy
Coordinator

Trying to figure out if Sarri is dense or just really, really stubborn. Probably a bit of both?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #175
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting decision on that Leicester penalty.

I thought it was a soft decision: Vertongen caught Maddison’s standing leg before he tried to shoot. One of those that whichever way it was given I couldn’t complain.

The Son dive was a dive for me: Maguire moved his leg away before contact.

But doesn’t really matter, we lost, Spurs won, so WGAF!

Recent matches we haven’t created anything so Vardy hasn’t been as involved as he would have lked. Today we created loads with the addition of Tielemans instead of one of the holding midfielders (who looked great, particularly at the start), but our genius manager decides to play a more creative midfield without a striker

We created enough to at least get a point, but can’t say we were unlucky as it was our fault we missed those chances.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #176
miami_fan
Coordinator

Leicester sack manager Claude Puel after home loss to Crystal Palace
Old 02-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #177
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ole Gunnar has clicked on the FM icon and his pointer is hovering over the "Quit Game and Exit" option.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The clip of the Chelsea keeper refusing to come off ... and ultimately winning the battle with an enraged sideline ... is one of the more oddly compelling things I've seen in sports in a while.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #179
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The clip of the Chelsea keeper refusing to come off ... and ultimately winning the battle with an enraged sideline ... is one of the more oddly compelling things I've seen in sports in a while.
Good for him. If you have a shutout for 120 minutes I'd fight to stay on for the shootout.

I didn't watch the game, but the announcers tying to paint it as Chelsea not wanting to risk injury to him is strange... They were trying to sub the other guy because they thought he'd be better in PK's. If you thought Kepa was hurt earlier then sub him then.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Good for him. If you have a shutout for 120 minutes I'd fight to stay on for the shootout.

I didn't watch the game, but the announcers tying to paint it as Chelsea not wanting to risk injury to him is strange... They were trying to sub the other guy because they thought he'd be better in PK's. If you thought Kepa was hurt earlier then sub him then.

Apparently (from my reading to figure out wth was going on in the clip) he was injured (or had a suspected cramp) a minute or so prior to that scene.

That said, my feeling watching it was just what you said, that "injury" had little to nothing to do with the attempted sub.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #181
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Apparently (from my reading to figure out wth was going on in the clip) he was injured (or had a suspected cramp) a minute or so prior to that scene.

That said, my feeling watching it was just what you said, that "injury" had little to nothing to do with the attempted sub.
Yeah, I just saw the highlights with the time... puts me even more in Kepa's corner. He looked like he might be hurt/cramping, you quickly run up the other goalie just in case, then he assures you and everyone he's fine... and get furious when he wants to play?

I've coached for awhile, and short of a suspected concussion I would always respect one of my best player's decision, especially since you can have a trainer come out if you suspect an injury. In this specific case I would tell the player I trust them, but if they're lying and we lose they're letting their teammates down, and give them autonomy from there. Granted it happened fast, but no reason for the histrionics from the bench or the public power struggle.

(And in my case with youth sports, the Get Off The Field incidents happen with bad players. Euro soccer coaches are weird, but Kepa is lined up to be their GK for hopefully a decade, right? Not that any manager lasts that long, but weird battle to pick.)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I've coached for awhile, and short of a suspected concussion I would always respect one of my best player's decision, especially since you can have a trainer come out if you suspect an injury. In this specific case I would tell the player I trust them, but if they're lying and we lose they're letting their teammates down, and give them autonomy from there. Granted it happened fast, but no reason for the histrionics from the bench or the public power struggle.

The post-match remarks from both sides seemed ... fairly reasonable, I guess.

Kepa says he just wanted to avoid being removed for injury when he wasn't hurt.

Manager says "right message, just the wrong delivery" but acknowledged that he was fine leaving him on once the medical staff got back to the sidelines & relayed his condition.

Both seem to go the "miscommunication" route publicly at least, so that's probably the best they can shoot for (despite me not necessarily believing either side about that)
Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 PM   #183
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don’t know Kepa’s history well enough to know if he is “that sort of player” but I am surprised at the benefit of the doubt being given to a young goalkeeper who is having an okay first season in the EPL. This may have more to do with Sarri’s standing in the game today than anything having to do with Kepa.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #184
miami_fan
Coordinator

I also don’t believe either side about the miscommunication angle.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #185
AlexB
Pro Starter

Brendan Rodgers confirmed as Leicester’s new manager, Neil Lennon caretaker Celtic manager, in a move surely designed to calm down the sectarian abuse that has been creeping back up recently!

I’m surprised on both fronts, but at the same time Rangers are closing the gap, so he can leave Celtic on a high point, and then we’re probably the biggest job he is likely to get right now (won’t go to Everton, West Ham have Pellegrini, Wolves have NES, Watford are doing better than us this season but less potential finance, Newastle are a bigger club but... Mike Ashley)

So it’s a chance for Rodgers to try and get us back to 7th/8th for a couple of years, develop a young, talented but one which is also inconsistent & unproven, and if he can have 2-3 good seasons, he has the chance of one of the big 6 potentially.

It’s seems to make sense for both sides, still a little surprised it’s now rather than the end of the season. It’s the first managerial appointment I really like since Pearson came back.

Last edited by AlexB : 02-26-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #186
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Brendan Rodgers confirmed as Leicester’s new manager, Neil Lennon caretaker Celtic manager, in a move surely designed to calm down the sectarian abuse that has been creeping back up recently!

I’m surprised on both fronts, but at the same time Rangers are closing the gap, so he can leave Celtic on a high point, and then we’re probably the biggest job he is likely to get right now (won’t go to Everton, West Ham have Pellegrini, Wolves have NES, Watford are doing better than us this season but less potential finance, Newastle are a bigger club but... Mike Ashley)

So it’s a chance for Rodgers to try and get us back to 7th/8th for a couple of years, develop a young, talented but one which is also inconsistent & unproven, and if he can have 2-3 good seasons, he has the chance of one of the big 6 potentially.

It’s seems to make sense for both sides, still a little surprised it’s now rather than the end of the season. It’s the first managerial appointment I really like since Pearson came back.

I think it is a great appointment for Leicester City. The fact that he left Celtic with an 8 point lead at this point of the season is interesting. Does it devalue the Scottish Premiership and its title that he would leave with what 11 games remaining to go to a middle table team in the EPL? I don't know. Would he have had the option of agreeing to move to but waiting until the end of the Scottish season a la Pep or Niko Kovac's move from Eintracht Frankfurt to Bayern Munich? I don't know

As far Celtic and Lennon, I can't speak on the sectarian aspect of the appointment. I would be more concerned with making sure Celtic won the league. Allowing a Rangers comeback at this point would be the stuff of all time banter.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #187
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m pretty sure the Scottish prem was already devalued enough - consider for a minute that one of its most prolific goal scorers on one of its top 4 teams turned down staying there to leave for a non-league English team and you’ll get a sense of the massive gap in funding and organization. It is sad considering the great teams that have come out of Scotland in the past but it’s firmly a second rate (at best) league now for the foreseeable future.

Personally I completely understand where Rodgers was coming from, I can’t for the life of me see the challenge being somewhere where you are so superior to the rest of the teams that winning a treble and maybe getting through a few rounds of the Europa league is a formality every season. As noted there wasn’t going to be a top 6 job in England for him and even though Leicester probably aren’t pulling up any trees (and there may be some unrealistic expectations lingering after the miracle season) it’s still probably the best job offer he was probably going to get and a very well supported and decently funded team.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #188
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sarri has dropped Kepa for today's match.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #189
miami_fan
Coordinator

Preparation for life in the championship has begun for the Cottagers.

Ranieri leaves Fulham with club 10 points from safety Parker takes over
Old 02-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #190
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Europa league
Every time I see that name, I cringe. It's about the worst name for a sports competition since "NFL Europa". Considering that "League" is exclusively used in English, if UEFA feels the need to call it a "league", then "Europe League" is the ogical way to spell. If they're so partial to "Europa", call it "Europa Liga" or "Liga Europa". *shrug*
Old 03-01-2019, 02:31 AM   #191
AlexB
Pro Starter

Notwithstanding it’s not actually a league either
Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #192
miked
College Starter

Atlanta United down in the first leg 3-1 come back and win 4-0 at home to advance to the quaterfinals. Great win a week before the start of the season.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:24 AM   #193
bhlloy
Coordinator

That is the best save from Leno that I can remember seeing in... forever.

I'll also love it if Ramsey ends up with the goal that beats Spurs in his last North London derby.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #194
miami_fan
Coordinator

Handball rules among those changed by Ifab for next season - BBC Sport

This makes sense.

Quote:
The changes mean gaining control or possession and then scoring as a consequence of handling the ball will not be allowed - neither will a goal scored directly from handling the ball, regardless of intent

And this will be a shitshow.

Quote:
Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental.

Natural silhouette?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #195
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know it is behavior unbecoming of a manager but Klopp running out on the pitch after that goal in the Anfield fixture makes me chuckle every time I see it.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #196
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Press F to pay respects to Real Madrid.

(nobody press F)
Old 03-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #197
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Sergio Ramos was the MVP today, he inspired Ajax just enough to have them extend his suspension into the next season.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #198
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not sure what the complaints are from PSG. Definitely a penalty.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #199
miami_fan
Coordinator

And we have another penalty!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #200
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I am not sure what the complaints are from PSG. Definitely a penalty.

Thought it was harsh myself and I was definitely not supporting them ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote