Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

The Devil Walks Among Us (CK Dynasty)

December 26th, 1066

What is evil?

This is the question I asked myself last night after speaking with my elder brother Guiges, Count of our rich and glorious Dauphine Viennois. We talked of things that I dare not write down, for fear that this journal be discovered and our plans undone.

Is evil an old man, noble and wealthy, plunging himself into a daisy country maid while his wife and children patiently wait for his return home? Is it the princes of the church blessing with oily smiles as their hands accept florins under the communion rail? Dare we to call whipping a lazy servant for his idleness a mark of Lucifer?

Shall we name a young and ambitious vassal plotting against his infirm and doddering liege the highest moral treason? Is it truly wicked to tax and tax and tax the people for the greater glory of the ruling family and the state as a whole?

No! None of these are evil acts and none will cause a soul to be called to Satan's choir. These songs I have sung are minor triflings, small deeds of hedonism that are nothing to the Creator, even less to the one once so beautiful and all-knowing that now resides in fire and brimstone.

There are darker deeds than all the things I have named, sacreligious acts that I fear not even a pontiff's exonoration could redeem. Certain choices, particular paths, are so steeped in suffocating smoke and shadow that the soul will be blackened ever after, no whitening redemption possible.

Oh, I tremble! I tremble to think of what will be done! Our family is damned, our whole dynasty is doomed!

I must away. Footsteps approach!

-Humbert d'Albon

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Travis
Pro Rookie

Excellent!

More, More!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

glad to see CK make a return... here's to a long dynasty and no crashes...

Chas
Old 10-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Travis: Thank you! More will certainly be forthcoming, but probably not as fast as the prior CK dynasties. I want to take my time with this one and joy the story and characters much more fully.

Chas in Cinti: I'm hoping for the exact same thing. If I handle this and it turns out how I want to, it'll surpass the Agder one as my finest CK AAR.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

August 1st, 1067

My dearest Carlotta

Rome.

It is a city rich in the tradition of Empire. From Aeneas and the other refugees of Troy who first founded what would become the greatest city in the world to the senators, consuls and Caesars of the Republic and Empire, to the Holy See of the Church's early years, majesty, tradition, and culture have been the three jewels of its crowning glory.

Until now.

Foul and treacherous Occitan lapdogs of the German tyrant rule the Eternal City. The unlawful usurper, Guigues d'Albon, smugly occupies the hallowed bastion of our most Holy Mother Church and there are none to oppose his demonic and unjust occupation.

We can only be thankful that the Duke of Provence, when he forced our fair city to surrender, ordered his men to stand down and leave it untouched by looting, pillaging, and rapine. At least the people's souls will be saved from eternal damnation, our beloved Rome spared the indignity of a blasphemous razing.

Our Holy Father, Pope Anselm, now resides in Orsino after the noble and devout Iacopo Orisini agreed to give up his title and lands for His Holiness. Blessed Iacopo! May the heavens sing your praises from now until Judgement Day and may you be one of the first to be seated at the right hand of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!

I pray to Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that He sends someone to rid us of this terrible scourge and restore the pontiff to his proper place in Rome.

God's will be done,
Fr. Livio Sorfanzini

I have included in this letter an artist's rendition of that hellspawn Guigues d'Albon and a map of the Eternal City and its surrounding area, with the sinner lord's lands outlined in red.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

September 10th, 1067

My brother's corruption grows. In his lust for wealth, he has married a Danish commoner, daughter of the wealthiest merchant in Skane. Oh, his eyes did not sparkle with love and affection for his new bride in all her finery! But they shone, they gleamed like the setting sun on a bloodied sword when they fell upon the long train of mule-drawn carts, each carrying 10 ingots of gold!

Altogether, the dowry came to 237 ingots, making Dauphine Viennois the richest treasury of any county in the Kingdom. 237! Why, even the King of Scotland himself can not dream of having just such a sum in his vaults in his lifetime!

His was not the only match Guiges arranged. Greedy for prestige and acclaim, he found a fat old Italian woman for our father to marry, one as greedy as elder brother himself. I greatly objected to the union's profanity. Our sire is 62 years of age, in no condition for the requirements put upon him by such a contract. You can imagine my horror when Father agreed heartily to matrimony and thanked my wicked sibling for her.

But oh, oh journal, oh far-distant reader! I must confess to my own shame, my own weakness, and my own disgrace.

During one of our summer festivals, I espied the most lovely woman I will ever seen, now or in the kingdom of Heaven, should God grant me asylum there. Her hair shimmered with a lustrous gold that made the sun wan and waxy in the comparing and her eyes were a soft grey, the like of which one never sees in Dauphine Viennois or Roma. She was willowy, with a delicate grace to her speech and walk that made me think her an angel.

I fell in love from that first instant our eyes met.

Guigues somehow discovered this and had me brought to his chambers. He would not look at me the entire time that I was there, but sharpened his dagger on a stone inside, addressing that unfeeling rock instead of his impassioned, worrying younger brother. Oh, what a cruel man!

"I have noticed your calf's eyes on the Welsh woman from the English theatre troupe. You want her. I want you to drop your opposition to our father's remarriage. If you agree to give up your complaint and go along as a duitful son rightfully should, then I will see to it that you have the Welsh girl as your bride."

How I longed to say no! But my heart, ablaze with longing and my head, pounding with the ache of consummation's very real nearness, conspired in bodily treachery to betray my soul.

"Yes, yes! Let Father marry who he wishes!", my sinner's lips cried.

Guigues's fleshy lips smiled and three days later, my beloved Aelwyd became my cherished wife, bound to me from now until the last of days. She is everything that I hoped for, but still, I can not help a shiver and a sigh sometimes when I look upon her, knowing the price I paid to have her.

May 22nd, 1068

What sort of demonic world do we live in when men can claim other's possessions as their own and be loved for it?

My brother unlawfully demanded the province of Lyon from the Count of Forez. Forez refused, as was right and Guigues went to war with him. The Duke of Provence and the King of Germany, those self-serving lieges of ours, were only too happy to support the man I am becoming to loathe. All too soon, Lyon and Forez had both surrendered to my brother's forces and Guiges "graciously" allowed Forez to keep that province in exchange for giving up Lyon to the d'Albon family.

The nobles of the region all praise Guiges for his Christian generosity in permitting Forez to hold on to one county and they came out en masse` in support of the most diabolical event I have ever had to partake in...

My brother's coronation as the Duke of Dauphine.

One hundred gold ingots were lavished on the cermonies, an expense Guiges would never go to normally, but, as he said afterwards, each and every coin spent paid back equal weight in his glory and standing in the realm. He is now far more prestigious and feared than he has ever been.

We, the d'Albons, are wealthier than we have ever been as well. Our positive income now stands at almost twenty-five ingots a month! We are unmatched in our prosperity, save for perhaps Byzantium. But our riches are not enough for the new Duke. He has ordered construction of a forestry in the capital province of Dauphine Viennois, so that we may gain even more money each month.

But then, I suppose Guigues needs the gold. After all, my lecherous brother did sire two bastards with harlots on campaign in Lyon, while his pregnant wife waited patiently at home for him. My throat spasms with the bile begging to purge out of my body. I hate him!

At least I may take comfort that Aelwyd bears my legitimate child and never will I turn to another woman. Who can compare to the seraphim who lies in my bed every night, all night?

Marshal Humbert d'Albon

On the walls of Roma's most impressive castle, new portraits hang, which can be seen below:

Duke Guiges d'Albon of Dauphine

Duchess Jutta

The two portraits in Marshal Humbert d'Albon's room

Marshal Humbert d'Albon

His wife Aelwyd

Old 10-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Ok... maybe because I've never played the game (though I've followed all of your dynasty reports); I'm completely lost. Who are you playing, and what is the status? LOL... Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but the style on this one is making it hard for me to get the "game facts" out... Thanks!

Regards,
Chas
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
Ok... maybe because I've never played the game (though I've followed all of your dynasty reports); I'm completely lost. Who are you playing, and what is the status? LOL... Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but the style on this one is making it hard for me to get the "game facts" out... Thanks!

Regards,
Chas

It's cool. I started as Guiges d'Albon, the Count of Dauphine Viennois, this really rich province that's part of the Kingdom of Germany (Immediate liege is the Duke of Provence)

What happened was I claimed and forced the Pope to give me Roma (Rome) after conquering it and then claimed Lyon, which is owned by the independent Count of Forez (who owns Forez and Lyon at game start). After occupying both Lyon and Forez, I forced the Count of Forez to give me Lyon in peace negotiations. Because my victory point score for conquering Lyon and Forez (86 points) was higher than forcing Forez to give me Lyon (31 points) I get a prestige gain of 55 points (the differential).

Lyon and Forez are two of the three counties needed to create the Duke of Dauphine title. You need 66% of a title to create it and 100 gold for a Ducal title, 250 gold for a Kingship. After creating the title, you gain the prestige amount equal to the gold you had to pay for the title.

Hence, I created the Duke of Dauphine title for Guiges d'Albon, making him a Duke His direct liege is also now King Heinrich of Germany himself, because once you're equal in title to somebody, you're independant unless there's a higher liege in the structure.

This is why Counts should never give any of their lands away to somebody, nor should they have their Marshals conquer pagan or Muslim lands, because then the new title-holder or Marshal is a Count, hence equal in title.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Excerpt from Franco-German Relations During the Middle Ages:

The regional chaos inflicted by the Kingdom of Germany's aggressions in the mid-to-late 1060s exploded when France, eager to contain the German spirit of expansion, declared war in July of 1068 with the intent of absorbing the Duchy of Provence into the French fold.

Guigues d'Albon, the recently crowned Duke of Dauphine and instigator of many of the earlier German wars, took advantage of the opportunity to claim the right to the Duchy of Bourgogne. The subsequent invasion led the Kingdom of England to declare war on Dauphine and Germany, but the Norman support was a mere formality for most of the war.

The Dauphine Duke refused repeatedly early in the conflict to lend his troops to King Heinrich of Germany's aid and this angered the monarch so much that the day before the Duke of Bourgogne surrendered to d'Albon, Heinrich offered a peace treaty in which Robert de Bourgogne would be able to keep his ducal title for the sum of 38 gold ingots. The deal was immediately accepted, leaving Guigues d'Albon with nothing to show for his victory.

Apparently desiring to avoid losing the territory he'd gained in prior conquests, Duke Guigues agreed to a 1069 white peace that preserved the status quo between his territory and the English and French crowns.

Recognizing the superiority of France's forces and still stinging from King Heinrich's treachery, the Duke of Dauphine turned traitor in May of 1069, swearing fealty to King Phillipe Capet.

The loss of the Dauphine Duchy, combined with the Duchy of Toscana's rebellion, signaled that Germany's end might well come sooner than anyone could have predicted at the beginning of the 11th century.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

August 9th, 1069

The hateful brother of mine is at last receiving divine retribution for his crimes. This morning, the Duchess Jutta and the Duke's son both died in the birthing. It will not surprise you, dear reader, to learn that Guigues showed no emotion, no horror at his wife and heir's passing.

He stood there beside the bed, his hands covered in the blood of his own offspring and said, "It is no matter. She was no more than a money tree and a brood mare. Europe is full of women. I will simply find another one, who will bring me more riches and be strong enough to sire me sons. This one only gave me a daughter and brought her up to be inferior Dutch on top of it, while I was away on campaign."

A monster he is! To not care when one's own wife and son die! How thankful I am that darling Aelwyd is healthy and so is our lovely daughter, Brandimena! My wife blushes and glows as she grows, our second child already in her womb. Blessed I am in having her!

My father's sinful marriage to the fat woman has yielded me a new sister, Patricia. They plan to have her administer the Duchy's finances when she comes of age. Theirs is not the only shameful union in the court. Bastard Guigues arranged a marriage between Uncle Humbert and Anna Rurikovich, a Russian woman who is none other than the mother of King Phillipe himself! Worse yet, she brought with her Hughes Capet, younger brother to Phillipe. Our new liege will not stand for Hughes's remaining a courtier when he comes of age I'm certain and Guigues has shown no inclination to give up any of his lands, not even to those of his own family!

Has he no shame? No loyalty? He could at least understand that family should come first!

-Marshal Humbert d'Albon

This was to be the last of Humbert d'Albon's diary entries. Shortly after his marriage to a minor, but wealthy Norwegian courtier, the Duke of Dauphine sparked another Franco-German war, one that lasted from August 1069 to the end of May, 1071. The conflict began over the right to rule the County of Piemonte.

France won resoundingly over the Germans, Savoie annexed to the Kingdom itself, Piemonte to Duke Guiges d'Albon. But there were costs. The Dauphine treasury knew a fairly serious debt of almost 300 gold ingots at the war's conclusion and Marshal Humbert d'Albon, who valiantly and brilliantly defended the provinces of Lyon, Dauphine Viennois, and Piemonte (after annexation) died while repulsing a fifth German attack on the capital province of Dauphine Viennois.

The new Marshal, Guigues's uncle, also named Humbert, was 65 years old at the time of his promotion and proved a shockingly inept commander. The Germans began winning battles and were on the verge of recapturing Piedmonte when King Phillipe Capet rescued his vassal by accepting a modest, but favourable peace offer from King Heinrich von Franken of Germany.

In spite of the financial and military setbacks, the war was considered a success by the Duke of Dauphine. Piemonte proved an extremely wealthy acquistion, second only to Roma in terms of the income it provided the Duchy. In addition, during the year and a half of war, an heir, Gui, was born to the Duke and his second wife, Cecilia MacDubhSithe. Guiges also became feared and respected for his military prowess during the war, even as many reviled him for his greedy expansionism.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

May 28, 1071

Five years ago, I was an actress, part of a small troupe touring Europe. Now I am a widow with two small daughters, Brandimena and Blanca.

I am also the chancelloress for one of the most powerful Duchies on the continent. Duke Guigues d'Albon, my brother-in-law, bestowed upon me the office of his chief diplomat shortly after my husband died in glory, defending his beloved homeland.

Although many months have passed since his death, I still miss my brave Humbert. The Duke has promised that when the money becomes available, he will have something constructed in Humbert's memory in Dauphine Viennois. Although my late husband hated his brother, Guigues is a good man, one whom I believe cares greatly for his people and his family.

The funeral was one of the most lavish spectacles I have ever seen. His Grace spared no expense in ensuring Humbert's repose was the best he could have ever wished for. They came from everywhere: Dauphine Viennois, Roma, Lyon, Piemonte, and even from both Kingdoms. French and German dignitaries, despite the fact that their nations were at war, braved the danger and risked their lives to attend my husband's funeral. The Archbishop of Francia himself, Manasses de Gourney, came to deliver the eulogy. I record his words:

"Humbert d'Albon was a hero. Although born of an impure union, he overcame the circumstances of his base birth and rose to become a loyal and mighty defender, not only of the one true Faith, but of his homeland, country, and liege, His Grace, Duke Guigues d'Albon of Dauphine. We should not this day mourn his passing, but celebrate his life as one of triumph and glory. To give one's life in defense of one's home is the most noble and proud death a man can ever wish for. The people of Dauphine Viennois, Lyon, and Piemonte, will ever praise the name Humbert d'Albon and eternally give thanks to the young man who sacrified himself, so that they might live in safety and prosperity. Humbert d'Albon, Lord Marshal of the Dauphine armies, we send your spirit to God this day. May you reside in the Kingdom of Heaven at the right hand of the Father. You were and will always remain a shining example to those you have left behind."

The people of Lyon have built a statue in the town square commemarating my husband's defense of the city and there are plans to do the same in Piemonte and Dauphine Viennois soon. I could ask for no more better husband and have asked the Duke that I be allowed to live out the rest of my days unwed to any other. He promised me that this would be so and for that, I am grateful.

In political news, the Duchess of Toscana and Spoleto has been granted full recognition of independence by King Heinrich of Germany. This is a wise move on the German king's part, for his armies are already battered and weakened from the years of fighting against France and if he only gives up a little territory now, he may be able to keep the rest of his lands largely together.

Unless of course His Grace takes them.

March 1, 1072

The last troops were recalled home in November, so that the Duchy now makes in excess of 36 gold ingots a month. Our (it feels so strange for a Welsh girl like myself to be saying our about a French duchy!) treasury has money in it again.

Guigues eyes Lombardia to the east of Piemonte, for it is rich and the child-duke Fulco d'Este of Milano weak, but King Heinrich has a shrewd alliance with Duke Richard de Hauteville of Apuila and His Grace does not wish to have to summon his massive Roman army, for it would ruin the treasury. So he sits and waits for opportunity.

July 4, 1073

It seems that my husband may have been right about our fair Duke after all. He repeatedly refused requests from the Pope to accept a bishop to tend the duchy's spiritual needs and then ordered his uncle, the Marshal Guigues d'Albon, to attack the remaining Papal territories with the Roman army in January. He told the elder that it was his chance to redeem himself for his failures in the earlier war with Germany.

Well, the good marshal went and got himself captured during the invasion of Orbetello. The duke paid the ransom, much to his displeasure, for he refused to have an even greater incompetent at the head of so large an army. The siege was swiftly completed, the Bishop even quicker to give up his office. Then they marched on to Orvieto, where the last remaining Papal troops fell with barely a whimper, the province falling a month later.

But that isn't the worst of it.

The Duke had Pope Anselm brought before him and forced His Holiness to kneel before my standing liege. He grabbed Anselm by the hair with the most wicked laugh I have ever heard and pulled until the pontiff was compelled to cry out from the pain of it. There was a disturbing gleam in Guigues's eyes, a scarlet shimmer that I took to be tiredness's crimson lines, for the Duke slept little in the last weeks of the campaign.

"Anselm, you doddering old fool!" Guigues cried, "You call yourself Christ's vicar when you can not even hold on to a poor and insignificant province that no one cares far. You lost Rome, even with the mighty army that city offers. You hid yourself away in this hole, the poorer of your two vassals' counties, calling it the pious and humble example that God wished you to set forth. That was a lie, Anselm. You hid away because you were scared. Scared of me and scared of losing everything... and you were right to do so."

I shudder to record what happened next and retching threatens at the memory, but I must remain faithful to history.

The Duke undid his trousers and forced His Holiness to... No, I can not write it! It is too awful a crime! Oh, Humbert, forgive me for my eyes being forced to witness that sin!

"Where is God now, Anselm? Where is your holy Christ to save you now? Or perhaps the fault lies with you. Perhaps you are a false Pope, one who was not worthy of the cardinals' election. Look at you. You name yourself a Pope, yet you are forced to please an Occitan Duke. No longer will heaven be yours, but Hell alone!" sneered Guigues.

He threw His Holiness to the floor after he had... finished with Pope Anselm and delivered his demands.

"You will surrender Orvieto to me along with all the ingots you have remaining in your treasury. In addition, you must swear before Rome's public that you, nor the popes that follow you, will ever attempt to take the city from me ever again."

Anselm could not speak, but the horror in the pontiff's eyes said everything. I do believe he was still shocked, as I was shocked. Such an awful man in so many ways, the Duke, but so capable of rewarding people, too! My feelings are conflicted on him.

In the end, there was no choice. The Pope agreed to everything Guigues demanded and publicly renounced the Holy See's rights to the Eternal City. For now, he wanders the continent in exile, but I do not doubt that he will find someone to give up their lands for His Holiness.

Virtually all Europe hates Guigues d'Albon now, but they are powerless to stop him. Many call upon King Phillipe Capet to declare the Duke of Dauphine an enemy of the state and hang him for treason.

But the Capet lord will not move against him.

For as part of the peace treaty finally signed, Hugues Capet, Phillipe's younger brother, was named Count of Orvieto.

Chancelloress Aelwyd ap Meilyr

I have drawn a map of the new territories, with a picture of the Duke and his new titles on it. I have also, as a matter of interest for those who might uncover these diaries in the future, included a drawing of Hugues Capet.

The Duchy's lands are outlined in red

My liege

The Duchess who in truth is so frightful in appearance that this is the first portrait of her that I know of. She has born Guigues a second son, named Berard. A third may be forthcoming, as you can see from her greatly distended belly.

Hugues Capet, the King of France's newly landed younger brother and Count of Orvieto

Old 11-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Damn. Is there any portrait of anyone, ever, that does not make one want to forever lock themselves in a high tower somewhere?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Damn. Is there any portrait of anyone, ever, that does not make one want to forever lock themselves in a high tower somewhere?

I don't know, Aelwyd's mildly hot.

But yeah, a lot of people in CK can look really ugly.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

August 9, 1073

The Humbert d'Albon Training Grounds completed their construction a week ago. My husband would've been very happy with the dedication ceremony, which was as richly put on and well attended as his funeral. I confess I shed tears myself at how wonderful the event was. Now young men will receive their tutelage in the place that bears my eternal love's name and his memory will live on forever.

An envoy came from King Heinrich yesterday, asking that Rome be returned to Pope Anselm. The Duke laughed once and sent the messenger away with a curt, "No." Although it is fast becoming apparent that Guigues is an irreligious man, there are many who secretly admire him for his iron strength and will in refusing to bow to pressure.

August 19, 1074

Guigues is now Count of Lombardia in addition to all his gains. A swift war secured him the rich territory from the boy-Duke of Milano, Fulco d'Este. We are still officially at war with King Heinrich of Germany, but the Duke of Dauphine is quite content to stay out of the fighting and consolidate his gains and treasury.

Anselm died in grief during the months of wandering and the nomadic Cardinals elected a new Pope, Cosimo, an Italian cleric who has taken the bold move of establishing the new Papal court at Venaissan, right next to our own capital county of Dauphine Viennois! Duke Guigues at first was annoyed when he heard the news, but then he only laughed, saying something quite confusing about clay men who die soon being nothing to one of his power.

I am just thankful that the warring abates for now and hope that I may turn the Duke's eye more fully towards peace.

April 28, 1075

This war continues on, with no end in sight. Lombardia nearly fell to King Heinrich's troops in January thanks to the old Marshal's ineptitude, but King Phillipe rode in just before the city was about to surrender and rescued the people. There is little doubt the good monarch bears the utmost of love for Guigues and the two are often seen in one another's company.

Berard, the Duke's second son, died yesterday. It was a sad event, but I found it puzzling how stoically my liege took it. He did not weep, did not curse, did not react at all, in fact. He only shrugged his shoulders and said that was the way of things in this world and sentiment holds a place only in the hearts of fools. I confess I understand my brother-in-law less and less the more I know of him, strange though it may seem.

The Germans destroyed the forestry in Lyon when they looted the province and it, along with the rest of the county, will have to be rebuilt. There was also a rebellion in Rome, led by loyalists of the Papal cause. It lasted but a few days, however, as the Duke put it down with his troops and had the insurgents hanged as traitors.

Such unhappy times we live in! But perhaps the Duke is right when he says this is the way of things in the world. Heaven no doubt will be happier than this.

May 1, 1076

A little over a year and this terrible war still rages on. Dauphine Viennois was captured by the enemy some months ago, but even now the Duke sieges it to win the capital back.

Lyon at last is recovered from the earlier fighting and Guigues hopes to be able to summon fresh troops from there for his war-weary men to be rejuvenated by. It has been over two years now, this fighting. What will our children, all of whom are being educated here at court, turn out to be after being forced to grow up during this time?

It is an answer I dread finding.

June 13, 1076

O, terrible day! The Duke is dead!

They captured him as he was sieging Dauphine Viennois and demanded 900 gold ingots for ransom. Though the sum was dear, I knew I had to bring our liege home and so I consented to their demands.

My faithfulness was rewarded with Guigues's head on a golden plate made from some of the very ingots I sent to free him.

The messenger, a grimy little man, told me of the lord's final moments. I record verbatim below:

"The Duke of Bohemia's men put him in chains and marched him to the block, where Vratislav himself awaited with the gleaming executioner's axe. They knelt d'Albon down and lay his head on the wood. As the Bohemian was about to swing the blade down, your master laughed in the most chilling way I have ever heard and spoke in an unnatural voice that gives me the shivers even as I stand before you in this hot sun.

'Fools! You are all fools! Think yourself triumphant if you will, Vratislav Premyslid, but I will see you again and it will be your darkest hour when I do. For then and only then will you know the truth. Foppish Germans! You think you kill me here, but only this body dies. I am one who has an immortal spirit and those who these loins have sprouted will carry on my mission. Even if all these mortal titles and mortal lands should go to Heinrich, his victory will last but a handful of decades, a pittance compared to the eternity he will have to endure.

I am greater than you will ever know, until it is too late. Slay this body, Premyslid. I care not for it any longer.'

We were all shocked, Your Ladyship, but the Duke, he swung that axe and killed that foul man. Chopped his head clean off, he did. But when they went to take the body away, it burnt into flames, killing the soldiers who sought to bear the corpse off. They turned to ashes, m'lady, both the soldiers and the body. The wind scattered them off and we heard in the air that same evil laughter as before."

Dark tidings, indeed. I paid the man a little something more for his troubles in telling me of it. There is something weird and fantastic about the whole thing, but I do not have the time to ponder it now.

Gui is now the Duke, but he is only five years old. His mother will lead the regency council as we fight to hold on to what Guigues built up. King Heinrich has a case for all of the d'Albon domains and titles save for Orbetello. I fear that Hugues Capet grows ambition in Orvieto as well.

We must not lose this war.

Chancelloress Aelwyd ap Meilyr

The child Duke

Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Wealth is the way to power.

How often Guigues told her this! And now Cecilia prepared to act on it.

The regency council, composed of the dowager Duchess, the Chancelloress, the Steward, and the Marshal assembled before her. Gui was kept out, for he was too young to understand such things.

"We will not raise Rome's armies" announced Cecilia, "It is far more important that we secure the Duchy's finances first. So long as Rome remains under our banner, King Heinrich can not force us to accept his demands. If we keep the army in Rome until the city is attacked, we can easily repulse any German invaders that seek to gain control."

"But what of the German ability to replenish their troops quickly? Yes, we may best them initially, but once their forces are refurbished, we will be sunk. No, let us strike now while their forces are still weak. We can retake our provinces and force Heinrich to recognize the d'Albon legitmacy" Marshal Guigues argued.

"And I suppose you will be the one to lead them to victory?" Cecilia cooly replied, "No, with all the failures we have had under your command, this is not an option. Perhaps if Humbert the Younger were still alive...."

Guigues growled and stepped forward, seeming ready to draw his sword, but Aelwyd moved swiftly between the regency head and the marshal, holding her hands out to either side.

"Stop this! You have had your successes, Guigues, but the Duchess is right when she says we must rebuild the treasury. Furthermore, yes Germany can rebuild their armies, but it will not be as swift as you think. The longer this war drags on, and it has already been too long, the more likely it is that our king, Phillipe, will make peace with Heinrich, allowing us to keep our lands. We must not be rash here. Do you understand?"

The elderly marshal paused, but finally nodded his consent, stepping back.

"Very well, Chancelloress. But you had better hope that you are right."

And indeed, it turned out that the women were right. In late December 1076, two days before the New Year, King Phillipe agreed to peace with King Heinrich.

But the peace did not come cheaply, for Savoie and Forez were returned to Germany, creating a German buffer between Dauphine Viennois-Lyon and Lombardia-Piemonte. Although disappointed by the outcome, the regency council had no choice but to accept the state of affairs for the time being.

July 3, 1078

The old marshal, Guigues d'Albon, died two days ago. He was 74 years old. I find it remarkable that he lived so long, when he fought so many battles, most of them quite poorly. Although his funeral was fairly well attended, it was nothing compared to the masses who came to my beloved Humbert's memorial service.

Things have been quiet here. The treasury is paying off its debts steadily, although the clerks were dismayed to discover that the marshal still carried a one hundred and fifty-eight gold ingot debt from his ransom note that he never did pay, so now it is up to the Duchy to repay the debt in full for him. I must not speak ill of the dead, but the marshal was not my favourite person, you can be sure.

The Count of Saluces, directly to the southeast, has declared his independence from Germany and appears intent to remain so. I do not think he will hold it long, for the Duchess says it would make a fine connecting bridge to bring our central possessions together and I for one am inclined to agree with her.

Trouble brews in Italy, where Hugues Capet grows still more ambitious and disloyal. I am particularly worried since our dear liege Phillipe still has no legitimate son, only daughters and daughters as far as the eye can see. Should he not produce an heir, Hugues assumes the throne and this can not be good for our future fortunes.

August 29, 1078

Good news! We have a new marshal!

Gaston de Methon is 18 years old and the second son of Baron Geraud de Methon in Orbetello. The cost we paid for his transport was quite dear, but he reminds me very much of my Humbert in temperment and military skill. Brandimena and Blanca giggle and make much fuss over him, as does my niece Helena. I daresay that the Duchess Cecilia plans to marry him to one of the three girls when they come of age. You can be assured that I hope it is one of my daughters who weds this fine man!

April 22, 1079

Dear Gaston has gone off to fight the infidel.

One of the Muslim emirs and the mighty Kingdom of the Fatamids declared war on France and King Phillipe has asked to use the Duchy's armies. Cecilia agreed, but only on condition that the good monarch agree to pay for the troops. Noble Phillipe readily agreed and so now Gaston goes to fight a holy war. It is only right that we should support Phillipe in this matter, for he has saved us many a time.

January 22, 1080

The Duchess Cecilia grows angry as Phillipe seems to have no focus for using our regiments and worse yet, has increased our duties such that we barely have two gold ingots a month after expenses are paid for. She swears that we will never support him again.

A noblewoman, Laura Malipiero, has recently come to our court. She is a woman of little talent, but she married well, to an of Ragusa man who served the Count of Istria faithfully and well before his death. With her come five children! The d'Albon children are quite happy to have new playmates, but our court is starting to resemble a nursery more than the royal seat of a Duchy!

Speaking of children, Gui is off on campaign as well, for he is learning from Gaston how to be a good soldier. I hope the young man studies well, for he certainly has a most excellent teacher. The future of the Duchy does lie in his hands after all!

March 9, 1081

Gaston returned home today, but the reunion was bittersweet. He fell wounded in Egypt fighting the Fatamids and can no longer lead in battle. Despite the mixed news, the girls are happy to see him and the boys are excited about hearing of his adventures on campaign. Vaisili has taken up tutelage under him as well.

I noticed at dinner that Gui is quite quiet now, with a frightful look in his eyes. I fear his experiences in war have made him afraid of everything, including fighting, which does not go well with the Duchess's plans for our young leader-in-waiting.

I do hope Gaston recovers soon, but I worry that he will not, for Dauphine Viennois has been ravaged by a smallpox epidemic for many months now, and it shows little sign of ceasing. At least malaria left Piemonte a few years ago, not to return.

May 20, 1081

The Kingdom of Fatamids declared war directly on us! Our troops are still away under Phillipe's banners.

I pray to God that we survive. We have worked too hard to fall to the infidels. We must not make the deaths of the men who have given their lives for the Duchy be in vain!

Old 11-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

June 25, 1081

King Heinrich has gone mad and Pope Hildebrand excommunicated him at the papal seat in Venaissan.

The reason for his insanity seems to stem from the Duchy of Karten and his vassals declaring independence. Dauphine, Toscana, Karten. Three mighty duchies, all of whom no longer are part of the German empire.

If that were not bad enough for Heinrich, he lost yet more valuable vassals and territory when Vradislav Premyslid crowned himself King of Bohemia, forging a new nation out of the German lands.

The nobles of Europe swarm about his bloodied carcass, claiming their right to rule Heinrich's various of titles. We ourselves are innocent of the carnage for now. Cecilia feels that we must look to our own survival first and not damage Gui's prestige and reputation unduly. Many are those who bear scars from his father's eager expansion.

We have further good news, for our Lyonesse regiment returned home. They will not march again for Phillipe. The soldiers are happy to be back in Lyon and even more pleased with Cecilia's promise that they shall stay there for as long as possible.

October 4, 1081

Phillipe wars with Heinrich over certain of the German king's territories. Under Duchess Cecilia's orders, we are staying out of the conflict. It is a foolish move on our liege's part, for he still battles with the Fatimids. I do not know what happened to our once wise and august King. Perhaps it is grief for his lack of sons? It is impossible to say.

June 5, 1082

The Duchess Cecilia passed away most unexpectedly two days ago. The entire Duchy is in shock and mourning, particularly as she was two years younger than myself!

We do not know for certain who will lead us now, although I suspect it shall be the Steward, Humbert d'Albon. He may be 67 years old, but he is a shrewd and capable man, and more importantly, the last of age d'Albon.

Heinrich's difficulties grow, for the Duchy of Milano, the Counties of Bern and Caligari, and the Archbishophoric of Franconia have all openly turned away from him, all but Milano going to war over the matter of independence. On the other hand, the German monarch wages battle so successfully here in French lands that I believe he will force a peace from Phillipe sooner rather than later.

August 29, 1082

The smallpox epidemic here in Dauphine Viennois has reached the court. Darling Gaston and Guigues's eldest daughter, Helena, have both fallen ill with the disease.

To cheer up his spirits and give him a man his own age to talk to, Humbert spent the money to bring Gaston's cousin, Jordan, to the court. Jordan is a most cunning man and a priest in the bargain. To appease the religious in the Duchy, the Steward has named Jordan Dauphine's first diocese bishop in many years.

On the German front, Heinrich has re-annexed Bern, but the County of Urbino now rebels against him as well. I do think the madman will occupy all of his lands once more however, and drive out any claimaints to his domain. His restored armies are that powerful, France's own that much weaker from the still-unresolved war with the Fatimids.

September 3, 1082

Death and disease continue their march, for so soon after Cecilia's death, the maids found Laura's body in her room this morning. We suspect it to be suicide, for her mental health had been declining in recent weeks and she was quite depressed.

These things come in threes and I fear who the third shall be.

July 16, 1083

The third has come and it is Helena, who passed away from the smallpox. Horrible disease! We are all saddened, for she was a bright and happy girl, full of talent and wit.

But there is reason for happiness. Our treasury once more overflows with ingots and the Lyonesse regiment is fully replenished.

It seems Heinrich's end can not be far now. Once he held the upper hand, but now more and more vassals revolt against him. It is only a matter of time before he is left utterly landless.

The Steward hopes that this comes to pass, for then the way will be open for us. More than that, he would not say.

Oh, what troubled times these are!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

January 7, 1084

I turned 40 a week ago and the celebration was a happy one. I am so proud of my daughters and extremely content with how my life has turned out. My only wish is that my husband, my love Humbert could have been with me longer.

Eudon d'Albon, younger of the two bastards Guigues sired, finished his education today. Deldina, who tutored him, said he was the hardest working student she'd ever encountered and had by the end of his training surpassed even her in abilities. Thus, he is now the new Spymaster, with an extensive network of spies already in place throughout the lands.

It appears that the malaria took to Orbetello after leaving Piemonte. Fortunately it is not expected to impair the construction of the Court of Justice that the Steward is building to combat the recent insurgency of the thieve's guild in that province.

We have allied with the Duke of Karten, giving us another friend, more importantly one who has secured his absolute independence from Heinrich.

King Heinrich of Germany is still very much embattled, as yet more dukes have declared rebellion against him. No one believes that he will be able to hang on to his domains for much longer. Yet, we continue to stay our hand, concentrating on building from within for the right moment to surface.

March 6, 1084

So busy I've been! The Steward asked me to arrange marriages for Matias and Eudon, the former Duke's two illegitimate sons.

For Eudon, I used my contacts in my homeland and found him a delightful young girl named Elen Cynfyn in the Duke of Gwynedd's court. It is too early to tell how that match will turn out.

But the real coup came with Matias. Guigues's oldest bastard turned out quite the exceptional accountant and it is believed he will be the likely replacement for Humbert the Steward when the man passes away. He's already 69! These d'Albon's certainly live a long time! In any case, Matias wished to marry within the French kingdom and after prolonged searching, I secured him the very impressive match of Constancia d'Aquitaine, second daughter of the Duke of Poitou. Matias is thrilled with his new bride and everyone congratulates me on the brilliant marriage.

Who would've thought that a simple Welsh theatre girl like me would end up a skilled chancelloress, dealing with marrying off the nobility to one another!

April 21, 1084

Heinrich is at last vanquished and peace returns to Europe.

He signed a treaty this morning giving King Phillipe Forez, Savoie, and Franken and the Count of Caligari, Torcotore of Caligari, the German crown. So now an Italian is the King of Germany and Heinrich's first title is the King of Burgundy.

Even better for our own purposes, the Fatimids have offered us a white peace, which the Steward has accepted. Now we are free to pursue whatever aims we wish!

October 7, 1084

A mysterious man in the oddest coloured robes came today and offered to heal Gaston's wounds for 50 gold ingots. Desperate to have him better, the regency council agreed. He demanded privacy and took the good marshal to a room. What transpired there we know not, but a miracle has happened, for there are no signs of Gaston's wounds anywhere! Oh, joyous day!

He still is weak with illness however, and for that reason, we dare not order him into battle anywhere.

I'm sorry to say that Elen, my fellow countrywoman, turned out a terrible student. I fear the match was a bad one, for Eudon shows no interest in taking her to his bed. Constancia, on the other hand, already has signs of a little one inside of her.

It pains me to write that Elen is not the only scatterbrain. My own eldest daughter, Brandimena, has turned out quite the spoiled child and a worse student than Elen. Gaston will certainly not marry her, for our dear military leader prefers intelligent girls. I suspect my eldest will be married off to the first titled noble that shows interest in her and perhaps that's the best I can hope for her.

Oh! That reminds me, the Piemonte regiment is returned, at full strength, no less. We now have over 5,000 troops at the ready for when Gaston is fully healthy or Gui comes of age.

May 18, 1085

The of Ragusa children are starting to come of age now, but none of them is worth very much and so I shall not waste further breath on them.

King Heinrich is being beseiged in Urbino, his most recently recaptured province. Every time he makes peace, giving up claims to old domains, another army comes along to siege the man. King Torctore, on the other hand, is seeing his star rise. Despite revolts by the Count of Saluces and the Duke of Meissen, the new German liege has put both down swiftly and, after occupying Meissen, moved his capital from the remote island of Caligari to the inland province of Meissen, where he hopes to rule more effectively.

A bout of typhoid hit Orbetello, but it fortunately passed soon after it arrived.

In much more grave news, the tension between the regency council and King Phillipe over the question of our regiments still largely in use has grown to the point where there is serious talk of declaring independence. I have convinced them that we need to stay loyal for now, but I am afraid that I can not contain them for much longer.

The Steward is sick and we feel the end is near. If it is, he has served the Duchy faithfully for a long time and he needs not feel any shame that the territory hasn't expanded during his time. Tranquility is important and he can take pleasure in the fact that even at 70 years old and failing in health, he is still capable than half the men in Europe.

July 10, 1085

Heinrich was forced to give up Urbino to the Duke of Brandenburg. He now wanders in exile, with many seeking to hunt him down and take his titles for their own. He allies with the King of Sweden, but the Swedes have shown little interest in fulfilling their obligations to a declining man.

Eudon and Matias both have a son now, Raimond and Tibaud respectively. The d'Albon seed is a potent one indeed.

November 8, 1085

Gaston insists that we march!

He awoke from his bed this morning, sweating still from the fever and demanded that he be given his sword. He said that Gui is meant to be King and so King he shall be.

The rest of the regency council endorsed him unanimously despite my protestations that to do so would be to cost Gui all the influence and respect he'd been accumulating in Europe.

They decided to pursue the Kingship of Italy, for we have more provinces to that title than Burgundy, and our lone vassal is in the Italian kingdom's boundaries as well. Also, if the d'Albons become Kings of Italy, the capital can be moved to a county that isn't suffering a smallpox epidemic.

It is with heavy heart that I at last consented to the will of the rest of the Council.

Gaston marches today and I pray that he will be all right.

Two days later

King Phillipe and our allies, the Duke of Karten, declare war on Heinrich along with us. The Swedish king, hearing of this, chooses not to aid the beleagured monarch, rightly fearing that his undoing would be in the offing should he attempt intervention.

March 1st, 1086.

It is a day that changed the fate of the d'Albon family forever.

For on that day, Gui d'Albon, a boy of just 14 years old, became the greatest of the d'Albons.

The streets of Lombardia's largest city thronged with people chanting Gui's name as he marched down the thoroughfare, flanked by Marshal Gaston de Menthon, Steward Humbert d'Albon, Chancelloress Aelwyd ap Meilyr, Diocese Bishop Jordan de Menthon and Spymaster Eudon d'Albon.

Following in the council's wake were the nobility, led by Count Hugues Capet of Orvieto, Gui's lone vassal and heir to the French throne, and none other than King Phillipe Capet of France himself.

Behind the Capets and the barons came the burghers and then the peasantry. The clergy would not witness this day, for the Pope refused to recognize it and even the rogue priests who might have attended grew angry with Bishop Jordan's thundering sermons preaching intolerance for all who did not follow his brand of Catholicism.

A massive black and gold velvet and silk canopy loomed ahead of the procession and it was to this pavilion and the gleaming white marble throne that stood proudly beneath it that Gui and his court headed. The humbled Heinrich von Franken knelt on one side of the throne, bearing a ruby and gold crown that glowed and glitter in the mid-day sun. On the other side, Torgodorio von Franken, Count of Bern and vassal to King Torcorio of Germany, eldest son of Heinrich and husband to Brandimena d'Albon, eldest daughter of Chanceloress Aelwyd, knelt with his comely bride.

Silence swept over the area as the crowd moved in, watching Gui turn slowly around and seat himself with great gravity on the throne. His advisors dropped into kneels in a semi-circle around the front of the throne.

A moderate breeze stirred the multi-coloured black-gold and white-blue flags around the dais and all was quiet until Heinrich spoke, his eyes on the carpet as he held the crown above his head, his voice tremoring now and again.

"I, Heinrich von Franken, do hereby swear before God and all assembled here, that I surrender the crown of Italy to Gui d'Albon, Duke of Dauphine and Count of Dauphine Viennois, Lyon, Piemonte, Lombardia, Orbetello, and Roma."

Torgdorio spoke next, his words measured and even.

"In front of Almighty God and everyone present, I, Torgdorio von Franken, swear to give up all claim to the throne of Italy and recognize Gui d'Albon as the rightful ruler of all Italy."

With a serene smile, the boy Gui took the crown from Heinrich's thick hands and lifted it to the dazzling heavens, "As House von Franken loses, so does House d'Albon gain. For their acknowledgement of our just sovereignity over the whole of Italy, we vow to never again war on the von Frankens. With this crown, I seal my oath and become King Gui I, Lord and Master of every subject in my domain."

Gui's slender fingers drew the crown to rest atop his head and the masses roared their excited approval, "All hail King Gui! Long live His Majesty King Gui d'Albon, King of Italy!"

Four translucent figures watched the scene from the shadows, unseen, all of them men. The first wore shining white armour and frowned, the second garbed himself in crimson robes and beamed, the third, dressed in a simple tunic, nodded, and the fourth, none other than Guigues d'Albon himself, merely smiled.

"It is preposterous! Italy's king should be Italian, not this foreign d'Oc! Would that I could do something about it!" growled the knight.

"This day is wonderful! Why should he be forced to serve that sniveling Phillipe anyway? I understand what he feels, for I also lost my father when I was young. His coronation is vindication for all of us who have suffered that fate" the robed man answered gleefully, the red of his robe constrasting sharply with his pale blonde hair.

"The new King is neither wonderful nor profane" interjected the third man, "He simply is. My only wish is that he could have slain some of the Moors while he was at it. Then I, too, would feel avenged."

"No. He will never attack a Muslim or a pagan" Guigues responded with a knowing smile, the garnet gleam in his gaze particularly vibrant, "For they are my own chosen. My issue's coronation is just as it is meant to be and all of you should be happy in this hour, even you, Iacopo. For his new crown, his Kingly title, is a victory for all of you who struggled to rise up from lowly Counthood to have a nation of your own."

"I will not listen to this blasphemy anymore!" the White Knight fumed, vanishing into mist that quickly soared up into the sky.

"Forgive him, Guigues. You can understand his anger", the third man sighed.

"But of course, Madog. Do not trouble yourself", Guigues smoothly replied before turning to the still widely grinning blonde man, "Shall we return whence we came, Torstein?"

"I suppose we must" confirmed the young robed man a little ruefully.

"We will continue to follow him. Have no fear of that" Guigues murmured reassuringly.

And so the remaining three disappeared as well, music accompanying their departure as one hundred of the new Italy's most comely maidens sang haunting, beautiful songs in Occitan, Welsh, French, German, all, all to Gui's praise.

A destiny so long in the making at last was complete.

At long last, a crown and a kingdom.

Boundaries of the new Italian kingdom outlined in red. Hooray, my first Kingdom in CK!!!! The king's portrait will come after Gui reaches majority.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

March 4, 1086

Three days after Gui's coronation, Heinrich surrendered to Phillipe, giving our former liege the Burgundian crown and the county of Ancona.

King Torctore is having some difficulty with revolting vassals, as the Duke of Upper Lorraine rebelled yesterday and it will be interesting to see if he holds on to his kingdom.

October 18, 1086

My dearest wish is come true! Gui, who is taking over more and more of the duties as his 16th birthday draws near, has consented to the marriage of my second and dearest daughter Blanca and Gaston! Oh, I am the happiest mother-in-law in the entire world today! Blanca, as you can imagine, is beside herself with joy, and Gaston told me privately the other day that he could have no better wife than one of my daughters.

Brandimena is with child and says she is quite happy as the Countess of Bern and wife of a von Franken. She claims that Gaston was no more than a childish crush for her and she expressed congratulations, if a bit snottily, to Blanca on her pending marriage. I do believe my eldest daughter a bit too ambitious for her own good, but as long as she's happy, that's all that matters.

Patricia, daughter of Delinda and Gui's grandfather, recently came of age and there have been a few marriage proposals for her, including a very promising young Count. Gui wishes to have her wed to a Duke if at all possible, however. If none comes soon, then he will consent to a Count marriage for her.

Matias and Constazia have a second child on the way. They're so happy in love together.. they remind me very much of Humbert and myself when we were young.

Construction began a few months ago on a library here in Lombardia. Just think of it! Books, all in one place! I've only ever seen the rolls with my lines on it when I was an actress and of course, the diplomatic documents in peace treaties. I hope they complete the library before I die. I would so love to be able to read a book, a whole, complete book, before I leave this world.

December 15, 1086

A legitimate male child is born to King Phillipe of France! His brother is no longer first to inherit! Gui is pleased.

May 2, 1087

His Majesty King Gui celebrated his 16th birthday today. In every province throughout the kingdom, he ordered that all should have a holiday of rest, to spend with it as they please. This made his subjects quite merry and happy, as you can imagine.

Dear Gaston recovered from his illness in February, thanks to the same strange man who healed his wounds before. Gaston trusts the fellow with his life and I believe he is right to do so. Now I hope I can have grandchildren by that great soldier. Brandimena has already given Count Torgdorio von Franken a daughter and she is with child again.

September 18, 1087

King Gui has married!

His bride is Aldonza Jiminez, eldest daughter of King Alfonso of the Kingdom of Leon. She is not what you would call pretty, but she brought a 346 gold ingot dowry with her and the acclaim of marrying a princess. It is an excellent union for the d'Albon political aims.

Sadly, Patricia remains unwed. Only courtiers call for her and no nobles. If another count requests her hand, then she shall be wed to him.

November 8, 1087

The temerity of the of Ragusa clan! That crazy old witch of a mother had bad blood and she passed it on to her offspring! Dmitri dared to declare before the entire royal court that he would make a better chancellor than myself, citing Patricia's unwed state as the reason.

Oh, the wrath of the king! It was horrible!

He seized Dmitri by the ear and pulled him to the throne, the monarch's face dark and terrible.

Dmitri didn't know what to think, nor did any of us as we gaped and watched.

His majesty grabbed a dagger from the nearest guard and held it up in the air, announcing, "This clubfooted ass thinks he is better than the chancelloress who served our father well and serves us even greater. To that we say he is unworthy of being allowed to hear or to speak. You will lose your ears and your tongue, dog, and you will be banished from the Kingdom of Italy. Be no more in its borders. We will not have our best courtiers so disgraced by untruthful slander."

With two swift and terrible strokes, the king sliced Dmitri's ears clean from his head, even smiling at the man's screams. Then he reached in and grasped the protesting, crying idiot's tongue and another sharp cut clove the wiggling length from the of Ragusa's mouth.

All three bloodied parts were tossed into the fire, His Majesty remarking cooly, "Ashes to ashes indeed. Those three bits will burn as threes should always burn. Guards, remove him."

And they did. They dragged the squirming, misshapen man through the streets and proclaimed his crimes to any and all who asked. The townspeople gathered together the foulest feces, vegetables, fruits, whatever they could find and flung them at the banished upstart.

The guards threw him out, his blubbering moans unintelligible to anyone. I found out later that he tried to run back into the town. The watchmen waited until he was almost there and then slammed the gates in his face, the iron edges clipping the ends of his fingers and severing them.

How he traveled from there I know not, but he has taken up sanctuary in some unimportant bishop's court, where they pity the wretch.

Good riddance to rubbish, I say. King Gui is an even more noble man than his father was.

March 14, 1088

The library is completed!

It's a marvelous thing, this library. I spent the entire last two days reading one of the books there, basking in the wonder and delight of having an entire story all in one place. It truly is a miracle of God to have a place where knowledge is stored and kept safe.

It is a joy that makes me as happy as the recent news of Blanca's pregnancy. May the child be a grandson!

April 18, 1088

Torctore of Caligari is King no more. The Duke of Lower Lorraine was so successful in his rebellion that he forced the Italian to give the crown of Germany to him and so the Germans are ruled once more by a German, King Dietrich de Lorraine.

There is another new King. Roger Borsa de Hauteville is the recently crowned King of Naples and controls a vast, continguous territory that makes the Norman presence a powerful and impressive one in southern Italy, much more unified than our own piecemeal kingdom.

We must strive to be as joined as Naples.

July 11, 1088

Guilhem d'Aquaintane, the 16 year old son and heir of the Duke of Poitou, was found dead in his bed this morning of what appears to be a suicide. The news is good in that Tibaud, Matias and Constacia's son, is now the heir to the Duchy, but I can not help feeling uneasy about the whole thing.

The King asked me to appraise possible inheritances a few weeks ago, and Eudon, our Spymaster, went on a vacation about the same time. I fear a dark deed has been done in the d'Albon name. Fortunately none suspect it and we shall carry on with our lives, keeping this secret, if indeed what I believe to have happened did...

April 1, 1089

The King grows restless and it appears he is ready to strike out in efforts to gain more territory. I believe His Majesty has Iberian ambitions, given his wedding to the Leon princess, who carries their child within her womb.

Gaston and Blanca were blessed with a daughter, Heloise. Happily, she already has another child on the way.

September 22, 1090

So much has happened in the last year and a half. Asturias de Santillana is now part of the Kingdom of Italy, giving us a foothold in Iberia. The Kingdom of Castile is no more, having been annexed by the mighty Emir of Sevilla, who owns 12 provinces by himself and has untold numbers of vassals.

The Steward Humbert died while on campaign at the age of 75 and as expected, Matias d'Albon now runs the kingdom's finances. Blanca and Gaston have a son, Archambeaut, but this joy is diminished for Heloise is stricken with pneumonia.

Typhoid visits Roma as well, and the smallpox and malaria plagues still haunt Dauphine Viennois, where a revolt recently ended, and Orbetello respectively.

The crown has an heir, Salvador. I do not think the Queen will be for long though, as she attempted to seize the Stewardship from Matias. If she tries it again, I believe the king will exile her and take on another wife now that he has a son out of this one.

But what sort of kingdom will be left? Italy's reputation throughout Europe is the worst it's ever been, for Agnes d'Aquitaine bore two sons, one of whom was killed, this time Eudon caught poisoning the child, though he managed to escape. The second son it took three times to kill, and the second time the would-be stabber was grabbed in the act, tortured to give up our names, and executed.

All the crowns throughout Europe hate and fear the d'Albon name and the clergy call for King Gui's excommunication, though His Majesty fortunately avoids that fate for now.

May he be turned back to the path of the good and the righteous...

Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

October 9, 1090

King Gui has given Tibaud the title of Duke of Dauphine in addition to the county of Orbetello to rule over. Although the boy is just five years old, a mere child, his regents will serve him well and most importantly for Italy's interests, when he inherits the duchies of Poitou and Bordeaux, his new lands will become a part of our kingdom.

So shrewd a man is our monarch!

December 22, 1090

The Pope sent an emissary informing His Majesty that the Vatican is well aware of Gui's sins and invited him to atone for his sins or risk excommunication. Although our liege has shown as little an inclination to associate with the Church as his father did, in this case the King agreed to attend Christmas services and pay 61 gold ingots for an Archbishop to come and preach to the masses.

This satisfied the Papacy and some of the king's subjects regard him as slightly more pious for his donation.

May 15, 1091

It is a sad day.

Gaston and Blanca's child, my grand-daughter Heloise, is dead. At least there are still Archambeaut and his new younger brother, Davi, to console myself with.

In happier news, the diseases that plagued the kingdom have vanished from the provinces and to celebrate, Gui ordered construction of a Tile Factory in the ancestral county of Dauphine Viennois. A curious mixture of cunning and generosity is our king.

August 4, 1091

Bad blood tells!

Miroslava of Ragusa, sister to that despicable Dmitri of Ragusa, claimed that it should be she who is Spymaster and not Eudon! The nerve of that family! But did King Gui banish her as was right?

No, His Majesty allowed her to stay! He told me privately that she has the right of it, but that she will be married off at first available opportunity for his own acclaim and that to banish her would rob him of the prestige of having one of his courtiers, especially one so talented as her, wed.

He is right of course, but it still rankles me greatly.

October 7, 1091

The Archbishop who preached at Christmastime came today and asked King Gui to verify his position regarding the heresies presently preached in Roma. His Majesty made a grand and powerful speech about the need to root out the heretics in the Eternal City and it is this decision that has him regarded as more pious and with a reputation for religious zealtory.

Secretly he told me that he cares not for the squabbles of the Church and takes this path only to stabilize his political situation, for his two vassals grow gradually less and less loyal by the day.

March 29, 1092

Queen Alfonza gave birth to her second stillborn child this morning. Salvador remains the heir and this fact disturbs His Majesty to a degree that I fear he privately wishes for his son's death. Is it his Spanish blood or is it something else?

May 14, 1092

The Duke of Poitou has some energy left in him, after all. His 17 year old wife carries the 67 year old noble's child in her. I fear what will happen if it is a son.

King Gui's wrath grows.

Dark times may be ahead. If they are, I only hope that I do not live to see it, for I wish only happy memories.

Last edited by Izulde : 12-09-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

It is here that the writings of Aelwyd stop and indeed, the saga of the d'Albons.

Recent historical research has discovered that Guillaume d'Aquitaine did have another son, who was murdered by Gui after two attempts.

In an effort to improve his reputation, the Italian monarch declared war on a series of small Muslim kingdoms, but he was not to get the credit for the eventual conquests. Instead, it would be the marshals of the Kingdom of Italy and Duchy of Dauphine respectively who would win acclaim and land for defeating the infidel.

Worse yet, Guillaume d'Aquitaine not only refused to die, but went on to bear two more sons before he finally passed on the age of 73. His last words were said to have been, "I go now to meet the Lord in the Kingdom of Heaven with a smile and gladness in my heart, for I have kept my lands out of the hands of the devil d'Albons!"

As for the d'Albons themselves, King Gui's unpopularity and reputation for menace grew such that Count Gaston de Methon, his former marshal and his own Chancelloress, Aelwyd ap Meilyr, led a successful rebellion against him. The exact details of Gui's death are unknown to this day, though local Lombardian legend has it that he took the form of Lucifer himself and killed four hundred and twenty good knights before Gaston slew the tyrant with a sword now residing in the Vatican as a holy relic.

Following the rebellion, a republic was installed, with the hero Gaston de Methon elected as the Governor-General of all Italy.

Thus ends the tale of the d'Albon dynasty.