Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
condors
College Starter

EHM2007:Philadelphia Flyers - 1st year - Playoffs

Ed Synder expects to go to the playoffs. It could be tough job. I think i will need a good asstant. I hire highly respected Dave King. He was my first choice and i am glad i got him. We decide to go over the roster together.

Our roster breakdown-Goalies
Antero Nittiymaki - 26 years old and looks to be the #1 guy.
Robert Esche -28 years old cold be #1 projects just a little worse than Antero. Could be a valuable trade piece.
Rejean Beauchemin- 21 years old doesn't look ready, looks to be a career minor leaguer
Martin Houle-also projects to be a 3rd stringer may be called if Esche gets traded to be a backup.

We also have 4 unsigned prospects that are 4th 5th or 6th round picks i don't think any will become more than a backup but i will keep my eyes on them.

condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
condors
College Starter

Defensemen-Here is a real problem with the team

Joni Pitkanen 22 years old and to be honest the only guy i trust out there. Need 5 more just like him.

Mike Rathje 32 years old. He isn't a bad player but he is making 3.5 million a season for the next 4 seasons. His contract has got to go.

Derian Hatcher 34 years old 3.5 million for the next 3 years. I was a fan of his 5 years ago but he is too slow to play the same role in todays NHL. Not worth the contract. He needs to move on as well.

(I have no idea if i can get anything for Hatcher and Rathje but i will be trying very hard to get something)

Alexander Picard 21 years old and will be playing on the #1 line with Pitkanen
is my highest rated prospect but has holes in his game that i am not so high on. Has good physcial and mental skills but is a liabity in technical skills (like checking, postioning and hitting things i want in my defensemen) I think he is going to be traded for a more conventional defensemen who we also rate high, our scots thinks he has #1-2 talent so we want a guy with the same talent level back)

Freddy Meyer 25 years old and will be our #3 defenseman to start the season he only has 5-6 talent though so this is a concern.

Dennis Gauthier 29 years old and will be pairing with Freddy and guy with 5-6 talent getting more icetime than he probally should.

If i can get couple 3-4 level defeseman and move Picard for a guy who i feel good about playing with Pitkanen then this season could be good. As the team stands we simply are not good enough defensively to be a contender.

Guys on the bench

Lars Jonsson 24 years old 5-6 potential he isn't that bad but don't want to give him too many minutes

Randy Jones 25 years old 5-6 guy he isn't horrible.

If we dump Hatcher and Rathje and only get draft picks these guys could get alot more minutes than they deserve. Moving 7 million in cap money could open the door to nice free agent signing or two in the off season.

Nolan Baumgartner 30 years old scouts rate him as a 5-6 guy i am not that impressed with him. Would rather see they younger guys out there buy may get a shot at some point.

John Slaney 34 years old is a rock for our minor leagues and has #7 talent could come up for that role depending on the moves.

we have a bunch of unsigned young guys we will be evaluating to be honest i don't think they are any good but we will be keep our eyes out for a sleeper.

Last edited by condors : 11-12-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
condors
College Starter

Left Wingers-
Simon Gagne -26 years old - Franchise Forward 1st line talent, he is the guy we count on to put the puck in the net. Hopefully he will end his career with the Flyers like everything about him.

RJ Umberger- 24 years old scored 20 goals as a rookie this former 1st round pick is described as a two way forward with 2nd line potential

Geoff Sanderson -34 years old - nice player although he isn't a spring chicken looks like he can still get the job done for us.

Ben Eager - 22 years old - decsribed as a character forward with 3rd line potential another former 1st round pick. He is also a guy to drop the gloves.
I like having him around could be here for a very long time.

Boyd Kane -28 years old Dave King likes this guy alot more than i do, i hope he doesn't see much ice team. Will try to move him for something if any team is interested in him.

Riley Cote - 24 years old have no idea what King sees in him cause i don't see anything he is described as an enforcer with 4th line potential

Tristan Grant -22 years old he looks to be the best of the 3 goons in the Phantams and will be the first called up if we need to.

We have 3 unsigned prospects one guy Matthias Ganahl 19 years old who was a 2nd round pick looks like he may be able to contribute to the big club one day. Hopefully we won't have to rush him up.

Konstanin Rudenko 24 years old is offered a contract for 2 years at 450k a year if he takes it he can come over in the transfer window after the season is over. He basically gives me another option espcially is Sanderson retires.
We don't know how good he his we are currently scouting him and will keep our eyes on him but at 24 i don't think we can expect much besides a 4th liner.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
condors
College Starter

Centers- Peter Foresberg 33 years old Franchise Foward 1st line talent - we are hopefull for a healthy season no doubting his ability when he is on the ice. With him in the lineup i think it makes us one of the best group of forwards in the league.

Jeff Carter - 21 years old playmaking forward 1st line talent. scored 23 goals as a rookie last year there are high hopes for this kid. I like him alot and see him as Foresberg's replacement.

Mike Richards- 21 years old two way forward 1st line talent - Could very well be a future captin He may not be the goalscorer of Carter but will be out there killing penalties and anchoring our third line. I really like him and we are lucky to have Carter and Richards on the same team

Randy Robitaille 30 years old he is kinda a goal scorer and not really the type of player i want on the fourth line more of a 2nd line kind of guy but with Foresberg Carter and Richards he isn't going to see anything but the 4th line. May try to trade him for a guy who fits the type of hockey i want to see from my 4th line. He isn't a bad player though and i just may not play that type of hockey on my 4th line.

Petr Nedved 34 years old see Randy Robitalle same thing has some talent but isn't the type of guy i like to have.

Ryan Potulny 22 years old down on the Phantams has 3rd line potential may have a future with the big club has the type of skills i like.

I also have 7 unsigned guys 1 of them Steve Downie our 1st round pick in the 2005 draft will probally be with the club in a couple seasons. Will be getting a look at the next offseason would like for him to spend the next few season honing his skills.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
condors
College Starter

Right wingers-

Mike Knuble - 34 years old netted 34 last season. described as a checking forward with 3rd line talent but is our best. I like him but would like to get a true 1st line right winger to add to the mix.

Kyle Calder 27 years old 2nd line talent he is the kind of player i like hard worker and can play at both ends of the ice.

Sami Kappenan 33 years old 3rd line talent two way forward. Another hard worker penalty killer for me. I like him also.

Matt Ellison 22 years old skilled forward 3rd line potential. He looks to be a fine 4th liner.

Niko Dimitrakos 27 years old 3rd line talent defensive forward (can step in when injuries happen)

Brad Tapper 28 years old 4th line talent he could also play in a pinch has very good phyical and mental skills lacks in the technical area though.

erice meloche 30 years old 4th line talent two way forward. If i am playing him then 3 of my guys are out and we will definatly be stretched.

Gino Piselli 20 years old enforcer with limited talent

we have a 6 unsigned prospect (i got rid of a few old guys) I offer one of them a contract to join us after the season 25 year old Alexander Drozdetsky its a min contract and at worst he can give us another option when injuries happen. None of the other guys stand out right now but will keep our eyes on them.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
condors
College Starter

We make a few transactions before our first preseason game.

We trade two of our older unsigned prospects for a 7th round pick, neither of them were going to sign for us so we at least got something for them.

We also deal Robatille and Geoff Sanderson for Brian Sutherby c/lw 24 years old checking forward with 1st line potential he will step right into the mix and take Robatille's spot and be an improvement. I am thrilled about this trade.

Our biggest trade sends Stefan Ruzicka and Alexander Picard two of our best prospects for defenseman Mike Green 20 years old 1-2 potential will take Picards place in the lineup and be an improvement. I am happy about getting Green he will be our 1st pairing with Pitkanen for a long time.

We now have a little hole on our left wing side though. We make a move for a free agent and will maybe pick a guy up on waviers if he is better than Tristan Grant who looks to be the guy i will go to if need be.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
condors
College Starter

our 1st game is aganist San Jose nothing really exciting about the game we outshot them 40-15 but ended up tied 1-1 it goes to a shoot out and With Foresberg, Gagne, Carter going scoring twice Esche make a couple of saves for us to get the shootout win.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
condors
College Starter

our 2nd preseason game brings up some concern
we play Boston and dominate them
outshotting them 56-18 and win going away 8-0

I played my top guys wanting to see some goals so it may explain things a little. Mike Richards was the star of the game with a rating of 10 scoring twice .

Rathje and Knuble are struggling in camp. Nobody seems interested in Hatcher and Rathje at the moment.

I am hoping Mike LeClerc signs for us. There just isn't alot of talent out there that will play for the min.

the preseason ratings have us 12th overall. I can handle that if we make the playoffs.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
condors
College Starter

we have a much more normal game with Pittsburg so i am happy to see that.

We win 5-2. I am getting a little worried about tweaking the roster it seems i really need to move Hatcher and Rathje and i just am not going to get anything for them. So i am dumping them for whatever draft picks i can get for them.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
condors
College Starter

We sign Mark Tobin 20 year old left winger former 2nd round pick of Tampa Bay. Our scouts think he has 3rd line potential he will be playing on the 4th line to start and we can go from there.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
condors
College Starter

We have a couple more good preseason games and make a couple more deals

Darien Hatcher is moved for a 3rd round pick
Mike Rathje is traded for Brad Stuart a 26 year old defenseman who i rate higher.

We also grab 26 year old defenseman Biron he is nothing special but neither was Hatcher.

I am not sure how many more moves are going to come for us. If i can trade some propects that i am not very high on for a guy who may be able to help us i will. Teams don't seem very interested in our guys.

Mike LeClerc hasn't signed with us yet not sure he will, We also have an offer to trade Ryan Putonly(minor league winger) for a minor league defeseman who may be able to help in case of injury.

I also now have some salary room to resign my own players and may be able to pick up a free agent at the end of the season there are a couple guys out there i may even try to bring in this season if they come down a little in their demands.

We came to agrement with 25 year old unsigned propect center who will probally battle for 4th line spot. He will be joining the team after the season is over so we will have a full line of guys to give us some depth although i don't expect anything from them.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:53 AM   #12
condors
College Starter

LD Ossi Vaananen (who i would love to get) is put on the trading block and i put in a bid by offering Lars Johnsonn

after a few days wait...we get our guy

Our first game is against Pittsburg. They jump out to a 2-0 lead after the first period. We get 2 power play goals early in the 2nd period to tie the game up. With only a minute left we are winning 5-4 with their goalie out and the pressure piling on. We manage to clear the puck and get an empty net goal to win 6-4. Very happy with the win.

I decided to call up Nedved and Baumgartner. I send Biron down. Baumgartner and Biron could both be claimed but it really won't bother me if both get claimed. Neither is really an answer for us on defense.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #13
condors
College Starter

Our next game is against the Rangers its 2-2 at the end of regulation with them having 31-27 shot advantage. We get goals from Foresberg and Knuble. In the overtime Mike Green gets a penalty and they score on the power play getting them a 3-2 win. Our first line played well but none of our other lines chipped in anything. Hopefully we will bounce back from this.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:27 AM   #14
condors
College Starter

nobody claims Biron or Baumgartner, David Printz is unhappy and expects to be called up, we offer him to all other teams but get 0 interest (i don't blame them)

Our 3rd game is against the Rangers at their place. It is 2-2 going into the 3rd period but they quickly make it 4-2 and we have no answers for them.
Foresberg and Carter were the goal scorers for us. This is not the result we were looking for. Hopefully things can come together for us next game.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:31 AM   #15
condors
College Starter

Our next game is against the Canadiens. I decide to give Esche the start and Let Pittkanen and Green get some rest they are not 100%. Its a good game with the score 4-3 late in the third period they pull their goalie for the equalizer but Nedved gets an empty netter. Gagne got 2 goals with Stuart and Richards getting the others. I am happy the team got a needed win here.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 AM   #16
condors
College Starter

Our next game is against the Devils they get the best of the play and earn a 5-3 win. Esche got the nod in the goal and did ok as they got 43 shots. Nedved, Carter and Richards were the goalscorers for us. Special teams told the story here they were 3 of 5 on the power play and we were 0 for 3. That is just bad. Pitakenan is out for a few days with a leg contusion.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:21 AM   #17
condors
College Starter

Ed is upset at the loss to the Devils.

Our next game is against the Sabers. I put Nitty back in the net and Pittkanen is also back and it doesn't come close to mattering. We get our butts handed to us, a downright embarassing 7-2 loss. The score was kind we are outshot 61-18. Richards and Gagne were our goal scorers but i don't want to give anyone any credit in this game.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #18
condors
College Starter

Ed is upset at the loss to the Sabers.

Tampa Bay is next up. We really need to try to get out of this. I go back with Esche, Kapanen is out so i call up Dimitrakos to fill in. Esche plays well to get a shotout Knuble and Gagne each score 2 goals and Carter chips in another to give us the 5-0 win. We really needed that maybe it will save my job for a little while.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #19
condors
College Starter

Panthers are next i go with the same lineup hopefull that we can get something started, we lose 5-4 Baumgartner, Dimitrakos, Gagne and Foresberg were the goal scorers. Panters are leading their division and are 3rd overall while we are struggling in 11th place in the conferance. Hopefully the team can come together.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
condors
College Starter

Our next game is against the Thrashers and Sammi Kapenan goes down with an injury in the first period (he just came off an injury) we end up getting Thrashed 6-3. We went with Nitty in the net. We can't seem to put a few good game together. Richards, Gagne and Pittkanen where the scorers for us.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:35 AM   #21
condors
College Starter

Ed is upset with the loss as it moves up to 14th place 6 away from the playoffs.

The Penguins are next up with Esche in the net, and Dimitrakos back in the lineup for Kapanen. We get an early lead 3-1 after the first and keep pace to win 5-3. Pitakanen, Green, Carter each had a goal, and Gagne had 2. With the win we jump to 12th place.

We go with Esche again vs the Blackhawks Dimitrakos and Calder give us a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. We hang on to win 3-2. Richards scored the other goal for us.

The win moves us into 11th place

With the Lighting up i keep riding Esche we get goals from Foresberg and Knuble and its tied 2-2 going into the 3rd a short handed goal by Dimitrakos gives us a lead and we win 3-2. Dimitrakos is making a case to stay in the lineup. With 3 straight wins we move up to 10th place and have a 6-5-1 record.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #22
condors
College Starter

The team is doing badly. We are leaking goals at too high a rate to be a playoff team. I get a message from my scout about a 22 year old defender on the Islanders. Chris Campoli. My scout says he has 1-2 potential and they seem to willingly to part with him for a 3rd round pick. So the deal is done.

4 days later the Rangers are taking offers on Fedor Tyutin. He is 23 years old and my scout says 1-2 potential for him as well. So i throw Nitty in the mix it seems Esche is playing him out of the number one spot(and he is getting interest while nobody seemed to want to deal value for Esche). We win the bidding war. When i see the backup goalie on the wavier wire i know why they wanted Nitty. I don't put a claim in on him and move up Houle from the Phantoms.

The final deal comes from Columbus who want Claude Girox who was our 1st round pick in 2006. They offer me nothing special. I say gimmie Bryan Berrad who had just won defenseman of the week, and i will throw in John Slaney, Ryan Poutney and Brad Tapper from the Phantoms and it gets the job done.

So our new look defense accourding to Dave King ranks them as follows:
1-Joni Pitkanen
2-Brad Staurt
3-Bryan Berard
4-Fedor Tyutin
5-Ossi Vaananen
6-Freddy Meyer
7-Chris Campoli
8-Mike Green
9-Nolan Baumgartner
10-Denis Gauthier
11-Randy Jones
12-Mathieu Biron
13-Mike Grenier
14-David Printz

That is a dramatic improvement from the start of the season and i think the defense is now a strength of this team. I have no problems or reservations of playing any of our top 8. And have capable guys to fill in for injuries with Gauthier and Jones (i am not a Baumgartner fan in 14 games for the Flyers he wasn't good 6.64 rating and 7 games for the Phantoms with a 7.00 rating).
Old 11-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #23
condors
College Starter

after 30 games we are 13-14-3. That puts us in 13th place 6 points out of the playoff race. I am not sure there is much more tweaking that can be worked out from here. What we have left isn't in high demand. Maybe move Nedved, Kapenan and Knuble for some younger players. Hopefully we can turn things around over the next 10 games. We are still giving up too many goals.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #24
condors
College Starter

Well 10 games into it and we still aren't good enough.

I decide to try to tweak our forwards some. I trade Mike Knuble who is playing well but is on the wrong side of 30, throw in Denis Gauthier and a no hoper for Brendan Morrow this is a player that brings everything to the table and is only 27.

I also trade Sammi Kapenan and the rights to 2 guys i don't like much for Erik Cole another quality guy who does it all who is only 28.

I trade Steve Downie and some other prospects for 21 year old center Brad Richardson who my scouts like much better as a replacement for Foresberg when he steps down.

The next move is Boyd Kane for Taylor Pratt.

These moves should help us be better right now.

I do think that i have made so many moves that the team chemistry is shot for this season.

Of the current 23 players on the Flyers 11 of them are new faces and 3 more in the Phantoms. I don't think 14 new players a season is a winning formula in the NHL. Hopefully from here on out we can try to get a little stability. Although i would like to trade Nedved for a younger guy so something else may be done with him.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #25
condors
College Starter

We pick up a backup goalkeeper Fredrick Cassivi off waviers and send Martin Houle back to the Phantoms.

Also get Jon Sim back for a 3rd round pick.

As it stands now accourding to Dave King:

Left wingers:
Simon Gagne
Brendan Morrow
RJ Umberger
Tyler Pratt
Ben Eager
Riley Cote
Tristan Grant
Mark Tobin

I am ok with the top 5 all of them have at least 15 checking and should help our aligning defense.

Our Centers
Peter Forsberg
Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Brian Sutherby
Brad Richardson
Petr Nedved
Daniel Corso
Mark Cullen
Denis Tolpeko

Again our top 4 have at least 15 checking and Richardson has 13 although Nedved is the guy to step in due to injuries as Richardson is playing with the Phantoms.

Right Wings
Erik Cole
Kyle Calder
Jon Sim
Matt Ellison
Niko Dimitrakos
Eric Melonche
Gino Pinsellini

With Cole Kalder and Sim on the top 3 lines and Eager moving over when everyone is healthy we have a good group of two way players.

It really is a good group of guys. The question is will it be enough to get us in the playoffs this season. (and save my job as i think Ed may be running out of patience at this point)
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #26
condors
College Starter

A couple more moves

We pick up Rico Fata off the wavier wire and send Matt Ellison down to the Phantoms.

To our surprise Zdeno Chara is on the market. We offer Ossi Vaananen who hasn't performed as well as we would have liked, throw in Baumgartner, Ellison, and Mark Cullen from the Phantoms and hope for the best. A couple days later we get the news we won the bidding. I am thrilled to have a new #1 defenseman.

We have been doing alot better in our recent string of games after 53 games we are in 12th but only 2 points behind the 8th spot for the playoffs so we really have a good chance here. I believe we will make it as long as Esche stays healthly.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #27
condors
College Starter

not sure anyone is reading this but i figure i would give the final update

we ended up making the playoffs and even got into the 2nd round then lost.

The offseason was horrible we lost several players (Chara screwed up my budget) who we not signed before hand, i like to wait and look at the market before i make a decsion but i may be changing that thinking. With a totally decimated roster we stunk up the joint the next season and i got fired we were in 15th place pretty much the whole way.

Thanks for reading hopefully i will take another stab at this soon.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #28
Blade6119
Coordinator

Congrats on the season!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote