Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Men in a Game of Boys - an OPU draft dynasty

Well I think my previous draft pick dynasty has probably run its course, and the history data from that league is pretty strange from all the patches, so I've been thinking about a way to start a new league in a fun way.

I've started a league using a one-player universe, and of course the players are just terrible. I figure it will take quite a while for the player pool to get back to normal, and the guys coming in through the draft will have a pretty good chance to make an impact. Of course, quarterbacks will have to deal with terrible receivers, defenders will have to work with horrible teammates, and so forth so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

I think I will take three of the best players from each of the first three draft years and see follow them to see how they do.

How bad are the current players? Well these guys are the best of the free agents, which is everyone except the one player I started with, a renamed Michael Vick:

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

2007 draft

The top man in the draft is running back Eric Barrett out of Virginia, he's a dominant player and is graded 7.2 by my scout, he's got good speed and decent power, exceptional elusiveness, and great hands, as well as being an excellent return man. He looks like a do-everything player for some lucky team.

Our second player is defensive tackle James Reid out of Florida State, he's #3 in the draft overall and looks to have the total package, his 6' 3” 305 size will be dominant is this version of the NFL, and he's pretty fast (4.97 40) and strong as well. Our scout grades him 6.8.

Phil Newsome is a very nice looking wide receiver from Northwestern, who our scout grades 6.2. He's got 4.43 speed and looks to be strong across the board, including special teams. He should be able to make an impact among the terrible WR corps currently in the game.

Unfortunately this is a weak quarterback class, so we won't have one to track out of this group, the best quarterback is about #30 overall in the draft. Hopefully we'll do better next year.

RB Eric Barrett – Atlanta – Eric is drafted #2 overall by Atlanta, they have the renamed Vick, David Salazar, but he didn't seem to help them much last year and they were terrible. Eric looks like he's ready to go, he's got some nice running to do.

DT James Reid – New York Jets – James was picked up by the Jets with their #8 pick. James needs to develop a bit but will obviously be a great player.

WR Phil Newsome – San Francisco – Phil was taken by the 49ers at #19. Phil needs some development time but should fill in very nicely.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

2007 season

RB Eric Barrett – Atlanta – Everyone expected Eric to be a tremendous runner this year and he delivered, slicing through opposing defenses for an impressive 5.37 yards per carry average. He carried the ball 359 times, racking up 1929 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns for the Falcons. He added 61 catches for 326 yards receiving as well. He also ran back punts for the Falcons. He led the league in rushing and made a clean sweep of the awards, winning league MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, Offensive Rookie of the Year, and 1st team All-Pro. Unfortunately the Falcons managed only an 8-8 finish this year.

DT James Reid – New York Jets – James played nose tackle for the Jets this year and looked very good, with 54 tackles, 15 assists, and 5.5 sacks, and was named 2nd team All-Pro. He helped the Jets go all the way to the Super Bowl but unfortunately they lost 24-17 to the Rams.

WR Phil Newsome – San Francisco – Phil developed more slowly than many hoped, particularly since he is still learning his flanker position. He was a very good receiver this year, though it may not look like it, with 71 catches for 809 yards and 4 touchdowns. He also returned kickoffs. In this depleted league, receivers are not racking up yards because their quarterbacks are so bad. Phil's stats were actually quite good, he was 3rd in the league in receiving yards and was named 2nd team All-Pro.

Last edited by Peregrine : 12-05-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

2008 draft

CB Lonnie Freysinger out of Auburn is the top rated corners in the draft and around #5 overall. He's graded 6.6 by my scout and is one of the fastest players in the draft class, with a 4.39 dash. He doesn't show much of a knack for interceptions but is good across the board in all other areas. Lonnie is drafted at #4 overall by the Colts. He needs some development time but should be solid.

QB Mitchell Elliott from Virginia is a solid but not spectacular player, again the draft didn't produce an amazing quarterback but he is graded 5.1 by my scout and is in the top two of available QBs. He looks like he will need quite a bit of development but should have consistent skills across the board, though his screen and short passes need a lot of work. He does show a 98 volatility so that could help or cause problems. Mitchell is picked at #5 overall by the Bills. Mitchell is unsigned at the start of the season.

WR Pat Barham out of Pace looks like a good big play receiver, he has good skills across the board, particularly in big play receiving, courage, and avoiding drops. He's also the fastest player in the draft, running a 4.37 dash. Our scout grades him 6.3. Pat goes to Carolina with the 6th overall pick. Pat is unsigned at the start of the season.

Last edited by Peregrine : 12-05-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Emiliano
College Prospect

Nice! I love OPU's careers, starting everything from scratch.

I'm following this one.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

2008 season

RB Eric Barrett – Atlanta – Eric had another great year, plowing through opposing defenses for 1725 yards on 366 carries and eight touchdowns, he also had 285 receiving yards. This earned him another MVP award, Offensive Player of the Year, and 1st Team All-Pro.

DT James Reid – New York Jets – James couldn't match his performance of last year but he was still solid, with 44 tackles, 13 assists, and 4.5 sacks on the year.

WR Phil Newsome – San Francisco – Phil stayed consistent, with 72 catches for 878 yards and 5 touchdowns on the season. He was 6th in the league in receiving yards.

CB Lonnie Freysinger – Indianapolis – Lonnie developed nicely this year, and had two interceptions, 51 tackles and 14 assists, starting every game for the Colts. He does need to improve his pass coverage skills but that should come with time.

QB Mitchell Elliott – Buffalo – The Bills decided to break in Mitchell slowly as he has a lot of developing to do. K.C. Boyd started for them most of the year, with Mitchell getting some backup play and starting a few games due to injury. To be honest, he was terrible, he just needs some development to get to a decent NFL level, he threw for 78-142 for 742 yards, but had only one touchdown against ten interceptions.

WR Pat Barham – Carolina – Pat came out to play this year and really blew everyone away with his performance as a rookie, he ended up with 71 catches for 1053 yards and 5 touchdowns, he was second in the NFL in receiving yards and was named 1st team All-Pro. Obviously he has developed very well and should be a potent receiving threat.