Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #51
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
IGN's UK review

hxxp://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1040976p1.html

If I were to imagine a review for the perfect RPG for me, that would be it.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #52
wahoomac
Mascot

Install went well, ~25 minutes. Logged in with my EA account and it listed two downloadable content I earned from Dragon Age: Journeys. Purchased the DLC Warden's Keep (or whatever it was called) and downloaded it. Input the codes in the game box for the Fury of Shale and Blood Dragon Armor and they are downloading as I type this. DLC adds about another ~25 minutes or so. Very smooth launch so far in my eyes.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #53
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoomac View Post
Install went well, ~25 minutes. Logged in with my EA account and it listed two downloadable content I earned from Dragon Age: Journeys. Purchased the DLC Warden's Keep (or whatever it was called) and downloaded it. Input the codes in the game box for the Fury of Shale and Blood Dragon Armor and they are downloading as I type this. DLC adds about another ~25 minutes or so. Very smooth launch so far in my eyes.

Wow you got it you bastard. Good to see the flash game can earn you DLC. Did you get the collectors edition or the standard version. I know what comes with the collectors but am curious if you geta map or anything with the standard edition.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #54
wahoomac
Mascot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow you got it you bastard. Good to see the flash game can earn you DLC. Did you get the collectors edition or the standard version. I know what comes with the collectors but am curious if you geta map or anything with the standard edition.

I decided to get the standard edition. And I decided to buy a disk version instead of downloadable, mostly due to the fact that the game is so large, I didn't want to tie up my modem downloading a huge game. There were some things about the downloadable Collector's Edition that was intriguing, but I got it from GoGamer for $42.99 (plus shipping) and then spent $7+tax for the Warden's Keep DLC (one that comes automatically with the downloadable versions). The standard edition does not come with a map or really any of the extra goodies (except the codes for the Blood Dragon Armor and Shale). The other two items (a ring and a belt) were I think from DA: Journeys or maybe from creating an account/player profile on EA's web servers. It was worth it more to me to get the game for $42.99+shipping+$7+tax for the DLC, then for me to get the map and all the other things (making-of DVDs, etc.)

I've played for about 15-20 minutes, completed my first two quests (tutorial-type) and am really liking it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #55
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Gamespot review is up - I'm watching the video review as I write this...

I still don't know what I should buy this for the PS3 or PC...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-03-2009 at 06:27 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #56
Samdari
Roster Filler

So, if anyone gets their Steam version going, can you PM me a link to the manual?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Curses to ALL...

Election Day Off + Forum Browsing + Positive Reviews = Direct2Drive download purchase.

So the files have downloaded, but don't yet appear to be installed. On my Download Manager screen, it shows the files as "locked" and awaiting the 10AM PST release. I knew about the release time, but I guess I expected I would at least be able to install the game, just not play it yet. Does anyone else see the same scenario?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #58
spleen1015
Coordinator

I see the same thing.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #59
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

OK, thanks. So we don't really get to play in ~ 2 hours. We get to "install" then play. Not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a step...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #60
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Just found a helpful link on D2D Support for Dragon Age: Origins preload. On the left is a link to FAQ:

Support Center

Last edited by tyketime : 11-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #61
aran
High School Varsity

I wonder why steam insists on releasing games at 3PM EST. I thought it made the most sense for games to be released at midnight of their release date, not 15 hours later...
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #62
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon for 360, I expect/hope it'll be here this weekend for me to play.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #63
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Why do you guys order from D2D or Steam rather then purchasing a hard copy of the game? Just curious...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #64
aran
High School Varsity

Because I don't have to leave my house or wait for shipping. I also don't like having to keep track of physical media. The first thing I do with most games I purchase in hard copy is rip it to an ISO and put the ISO on my external drive for later use with Daemon Tools.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #65
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Because I don't have to leave my house or wait for shipping. I also don't like having to keep track of physical media. The first thing I do with most games I purchase in hard copy is rip it to an ISO and put the ISO on my external drive for later use with Daemon Tools.

I'm also in the process of storing my old cds to my hard drive.

Also don't forget that swapping discs is sooooooo several years ago.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Why do you guys order from D2D or Steam rather then purchasing a hard copy of the game? Just curious...

The last hard copy of a game I bought, I believe was Civ IV: Beyond The Sword. I did get hard copies of "Bioshock" and "Company of Heroes" for Christmas last year. Everything else, I get off Steam.

I used to be very cautious about not buying hard copies, to the extent that even if I did get a game via download, I'd still pay extra for the CD/DVD if that was an option.

Not anymore.

I like Steam. It's fast, it's easy, I don't have to leave the house, I don't have to interact with people (there is a Gamestop within walking distance of my house, but the few times I've bought a game there I have been forced into annoying conversations with the sales person there), and it is usually cheaper (since I am typically buying older games or waiting until they go on discount).

From what I understand, even if something were to happen to my PC that I have all my games loaded up on, I still would be able to download them off Steam again without issue.

Based off early reviews, I think I may actually buy this game soon. I am typically about 12-18 months behind in most games, but this looks great.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #67
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
From what I understand, even if something were to happen to my PC that I have all my games loaded up on, I still would be able to download them off Steam again without issue.

This is absolutely true, even for games Steam sells where you actually purchased a physical copy and then registered the game with Steam. I bought Empire:Total War on DVD and registered it with Steam. I bought a new PC, loaded Steam, and told it to re-download all my games. The next day, all my games had been installed on my PC...even Empire:Total War. It's a great feature, and totally sold me on buying all my PC games via Steam.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #68
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

hXXp://www.gametrailers.com/gamereview.php?id=9022

Review= 9.1

can't wait to get home tonight!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #69
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I have loaded the game but I am not sure of where to register my pre-order items - I find the maze of websites for this game a bit confusing, actually.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #70
wahoomac
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well I have loaded the game but I am not sure of where to register my pre-order items - I find the maze of websites for this game a bit confusing, actually.

I had the game menu open (where you can see what items you need to download and such) and alt-tabbed to Firefox to go to http://dragonage.bioware.com/redeem and put in my codes for the Blood Dragon Armor and Shale. Then I went back into DA:O and the items showed up to download and install. Make sure you are already logged in while using the game menu. I was surprised how easy it was to get things downloaded and installed within the game.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #71
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Bah, it won't let me play the game because it keeps telling me my computer isn't connected to the internet, when it completely is.

edit - whew, finally got it to work.

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-03-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #72
aran
High School Varsity

Game is unlocked on steam now! I was expecting to wait another hour and a half. How nice of them. Now to decrypt the game for 45 freaking minutes.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #73
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

meh, Bioware is a part of the evil EA empire. They gonna pull a spore on us and give us 5 installs. Thanks, i'll wait for the deluxe edition to hit the bargain bins next year
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #74
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Game is unlocked on steam now! I was expecting to wait another hour and a half. How nice of them. Now to decrypt the game for 45 freaking minutes.

Have you been able to play. Lots of kvetching on the official forums about people not able to register, or the Steam version not actually unlocking.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #75
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I have game installed and loaded. I purchased from Direct2Drive. When I click on downloadable content inside the game, I see two items. When I click one and then the redeem code button, it takes me to a Bioware site. In other words, I obviously need help on how to add the Bonus Items to my account. Anyone else have success with that yet?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #76
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

So.. is anyone actually playing this now?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #77
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I will be for the PS3 in about a hour or so

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #78
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Aside from the reasons others have given, I'm tired of CD-Keys and having to to keep the case and manual handy. I wanted to play F.E.A.R. again recently, found the disc after days of searching and when I put it in to install, it asked for the key. Problem is I have no idea where the manual or the CD case is, and I don't remember which had the key in it.

If I had bought it as a download (if it were offered at the time), I could have just gone to where I bought it, downloaded it, and played. It's basically a coaster now.

Steam, GamersGate and Impulse are the three services I use for most of my game buying now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #79
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I will be for the PS3 in about a hour or so

Real interested in your feedback, please post after you play a bit, especially interested in the view as the options on the consoles are apparently more restrictive than the PC (no top down view)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #80
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I am playing (albeit without my preorder items at the moment). I'm in the Tutorial mode right now. So far... so good!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #81
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm playing this on PC - really liking it so far, especially with how each background gives you a different tutorial. Plus I find the Codex system that records all the lore and instructions of the game very nice - similar to the Tome of Knowledge in the MMO Warhammer Online.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

Question for those with PC version. I still can't get Service Pack 3 to load, is anybody playing this on PC with SP2?

I am going to have to call microsoft as I tried all their trouble shooting methods, I really want to the PC version over PS 3.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #83
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am going to try and load it when I get home without SP3. I will let you know what happens.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #84
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I am going to try and load it when I get home without SP3. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks, I'll keep trying and let you know if I get a solution as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #85
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Aside from the reasons others have given, I'm tired of CD-Keys and having to to keep the case and manual handy. I wanted to play F.E.A.R. again recently, found the disc after days of searching and when I put it in to install, it asked for the key. Problem is I have no idea where the manual or the CD case is, and I don't remember which had the key in it.

If I had bought it as a download (if it were offered at the time), I could have just gone to where I bought it, downloaded it, and played. It's basically a coaster now.

Steam, GamersGate and Impulse are the three services I use for most of my game buying now.

I've had similar situations and I feel no guilt in finding a hacked key.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #86
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I've had similar situations and I feel no guilt in finding a hacked key.

Me either, but Steam bypasses the whole issue.

I used to avoid downloading games, preferring to own CD's, given my desire to move a game from machine to machine, or still own it if my HD crashes. Plus, it guarantees I won't have a Civ IV - esque issue where it does not recognize my valid DVD. Just a lot more positives than negatives at this point.

Plus, I am at home on my butt with laptop in lap far more often these days than I am in front of a shelf of games. Allows me far more impulse buying opportunities.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #87
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One of my first impressions - this game looks absolutely fantastic - I really love just soaking in the environments, and in particular the armor of the various characters and soldiers is some of the best looking and practical I've seen in a long time.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #88
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
the armor of the various characters and soldiers is some of the best looking and practical I've seen in a long time.

As practical as this armor?

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #89
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Real interested in your feedback, please post after you play a bit, especially interested in the view as the options on the consoles are apparently more restrictive than the PC (no top down view)

Will do - I should have a few hours playing tonight and I'll post an impression of gameplay in the morning.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #90
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
One of my first impressions - this game looks absolutely fantastic - I really love just soaking in the environments, and in particular the armor of the various characters and soldiers is some of the best looking and practical I've seen in a long time.

And the reviewers were saying that the graphics weren't the best around... good to hear

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #91
spleen1015
Coordinator

Has anyone who bought through D2D been about to get to the downloadable content that came with the deluxe edition?

BYU, I was able to install and run the game without installing XP SP3. I haven't tried to play anything yet, but I can getto the main menu of the game.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #92
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
BYU, I was able to install and run the game without installing XP SP3. I haven't tried to play anything yet, but I can getto the main menu of the game.

Sweet, crossing my fingers you can play.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #93
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dola, I found it. Click on Download Now from your D2D account page and the page that comes up has the 2 keys on it.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #94
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

The game certainly has me addicted thus far.

Took me about 35 minutes from getting home and getting the game running from steam.

Now I just gotta wait for the bonus content to download...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #95
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Dola, I'm running it on XP SP2 in case anyone is interested.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #96
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Dola, I'm running it on XP SP2 in case anyone is interested.

Nice, thanks guys, pulling the trigger now!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #97
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Sweet, crossing my fingers you can play.

I got to a point in the game where I can control my guy and start his first mission. So far, so good.

My only issue is that I am getting some screen flicker and I hear a faint beep from my PC when it flickers. I don't think that is XP SP3 related, but I don't know for sure.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #98
Calis
College Starter

Early impressions-

Rage mostly. This is a mess going from Steam, to the Bioware Social Site to make an account, to make an EA Account and now no idea what to do in order to download the deluxe content.

I can't stand crap like this, I paid for it..please make it less of a hassle. I keep trying to login in-game and it starts logging me, brings up the EULA and then loads up some stuff and says I input the wrong password, when I can login to the Bioware site with the same no problem. It's obviously doing something different than when I actually do input the wrong password as well which is pretty frustrating.

Anyone else have issues with this or am I crazy?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #99
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

No, I am having similar issues although I purchased from D2D. I ended up chatting with EA Customer Service (not very helpful). If there is any consolation, there are 7 pages of other folks having similar issues on the Bioware Forums.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #100
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Early impressions-

Rage mostly. This is a mess going from Steam, to the Bioware Social Site to make an account, to make an EA Account and now no idea what to do in order to download the deluxe content.

Try this site to get the deluxe content

Activating Pre-Order or Extra Items - Steam Users' Forums