Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Best Chess Program

I used to be a pretty good chess player and would like to start playing again. I know yahoo has chess but everything seems to be speed chess.

Is there a good computer program out there? I know I used to have Chessmaster 3000 and it seemed good.

Is there a chess program on the DS?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I too have not played in a while but fwiw I don't think chessmaster even has any notable competition in the field. the question is: do you need to pay for an AI that strong and/or a bunch of extras (opening books, recorded games, etc).

man I miss my chess-playing days. beat my dad when I was like 10 or something
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

I see chessmaster has 9000 version out now...only 10 bucks at Best Buy.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Chessmaster is very likely what you want. Lots of bells and whistles, tutorials, mini-games, etc. There are stronger programs out there (in terms of the chess game itself) but no one really needs that.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

Fritz used to be the one used by the pros (including my uncle who was the state champion some years ago). It had a huge library of famous games to replay or analyze etc.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, i just checked and version 10 is the last one, the website is:
http://www.chessbase.com/index.asp

Info from the wikipedia:

Fritz is a German chess program developed by Frans Morsch and Mathias Feist. Morsch and his friend Ed Schröder produced a chess program in the early 1980s. In the early '90s, the German company ChessBase asked Morsch to write the Fritz chess programs (called Knightstalker in the USA). In 1995, Fritz 3 won the computer World Championship in Hong Kong, surprisingly beating a prototype version of Deep Blue.
In 2002, a version of Fritz specifically designed for multi-processing, Deep Fritz, drew the Brains in Bahrain match against the classical World Chess Champion Vladimir Kramnik 4 - 4. In November 2003, X3D Fritz, a version of the program with a 3D interface, drew a four-game match against Garry Kasparov.
Fritz is also used in the Fritz and Chesster series of introductory chess software.
On June 23, 2005, in the ABC Times Square studios, the AI Accoona Toolbar, driven by a Fritz 9 prototype, drew against the then FIDE World Champion Rustam Kasimdzhanov. On the September 10, 2006 SSDF rating list, Fritz 9.0 placed sixth with a rating of 2811, six points below Shredder 9.0, and 113 points below #1 ranked Rybka 1.2.
On October 4, 2006, in the course of the FIDE World Chess Championship 2006 between Vladimir Kramnik and Veselin Topalov, Topalov's manager Silvio Danailov issued a press release including what it labeled "coincidence statistics" between the play of Kramnik and moves recommended by the Fritz 9 software.[1] Given Danailov's previous characterization of Kramnik's frequent bathroom visits as "strange, if not suspicious", this was widely interpreted as a tacit accusation of Kramnik cheating through the use of the Fritz software. However, the Danailov press release did not offer Topalov's own percentages for comparison. Moreover, subsequent analysis showed that, using similar statistics, one might imply that the Cuban chess legend José Raúl Capablanca cheated using Chessmaster 9000 software back in 1918 [2] - decades before the first computers were built.
On November 25, 2006 Deep Fritz began a six game match against Kramnik in Bonn. Fritz was able to win 4-2[3] but Kramnik played surprisingly weak.[4]
The latest version of the consumer product is Fritz 10.
A Pocket PC program called Pocket Fritz is actually based upon Shredder (chess), a engine written by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen.

Last edited by Icy : 01-06-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

Fritz would be stronger program I was referring to. It's overkill for a casual chess player. Most people would get far more out of chess master. If you are not already a master or you are not going to seriously study and make a run at it, stick with Chessmaster.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
Bad-example
College Starter

Fritz is probably the stronger opponent, but unless you are above master level it should make little difference.

Chessmaster is also very strong but has a more refined interface and more bells and whistles. I have owned fairly recent versions of both games and I like Chessmaster better.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

Sounds good guys...thanks. I'm sure Chessmaster has gotten even better since I had it, say 10 years ago. It's been 15 years since I took the game seriously. Then I was playing easily every day and was one of the better high school players in Ohio. Just been an awfully long time.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Chessmaster Challenge is very good.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For the DS, I know Clubhouse Games has chess on it and you can play online. Not sure about the AI or anything. Best to ask tk about that as she has the game.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-06-2007 at 04:10 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
kmbgolf
n00b

rybka is the strongest chess engine but fritz 10 has more teaching aids and u can level it to your strength
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Chess on Clubhouse Games is OK. It's not overwhelmingly strong...I can beat it every now and then and I consider myself an abysmal chess player.

On that note, would Chessmaster9000 be a good purchase for me to get to improve my chess skills? All I really know is how the pieces move, I don't know anything on strategy, openings, etc. Or would a book be better (which book(s)?)? Or....any other ideas?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Yahoo chess is nothing but a bunch of cheaters using a engine to play for them

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #16
AgustusM
College Prospect

anyone with a suggestion to help kids learn Chess - both my 7 year old and 8 year old like to play - but they are AWFULL! watching them play is painful and I am no master myself - but they will move a pawn for no reason when they could easily take the opponents queen and similar moves.

anyway there has to be some good software to teach beginning chess - would love to hear about anyone's experience with any.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #17
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog View Post
Yahoo chess is nothing but a bunch of cheaters using a engine to play for them

If true, this is one of the most disturbing comments I've ever read.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is not far off.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
anyone with a suggestion to help kids learn Chess - both my 7 year old and 8 year old like to play - but they are AWFULL! watching them play is painful and I am no master myself - but they will move a pawn for no reason when they could easily take the opponents queen and similar moves.

anyway there has to be some good software to teach beginning chess - would love to hear about anyone's experience with any.

The last several versions of chess master have had some good stuff for kids and beginners. Don't think you will easily find better.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #20
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If true, this is one of the most disturbing comments I've ever read.

Thats why you see a ton of people that only play blitz style chess. It is probably impossible for a human to beat a computer at speed chess.

Do a google search and you will see what I mean

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #21
rowech
Pro Starter

Well, mostly because of yahoo being speed chess and the way some of the people act on there, I went with a game. Decided to go with Chessmaster 9000. 10 bucks at best buy...hard to beat the price and it seems it's about as good as anything else out there.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Bump.
Anybody play chess on a Pocket PC and/or have recommendations for a game that can also teach me?

/tk
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just bought Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition on Steam. I wanted something different, didn't see a text sim or sports game that worked for me and having pretty much found games that work for me in every other way, I figured this would be a good way to learn the game. I played as a kid, but my dad used to win and never really showed me tactics (probably because he's not a particularly tactical player..but that's just me guessing) and so, I figure this will be a nice diversion.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Bump.
Anybody play chess on a Pocket PC and/or have recommendations for a game that can also teach me?

/tk

i play on my pocket pc. i don't have a fancy program though - i just went for a freeware version that doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #25
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Personally I found books more useful than computer programs for learning tactics and such. They give a much better explanation of the logic behind the moves. Of course, I haven't really tried a chess program in several years, so perhaps they have improved in that aspect.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Personally I found books more useful than computer programs for learning tactics and such. They give a much better explanation of the logic behind the moves. Of course, I haven't really tried a chess program in several years, so perhaps they have improved in that aspect.

Which book(s) would you recommend to a beginner who knows the rules but wants insight on strategy?

/tk
Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

Winning Chess series by Yasser Seirawan (particularly Winning Chess Strategy and Winning Chess Tactics). Once you reach an intermediate level, I recommend How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I bought a game because I wanted to see what I was doing wrong and tactics for getting myself out of jams. And I wanted something I could play over and over, those are the only games I can manage.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think books and games both have their places. books for telling you the "why" and games for letting you practice - because let's face it - who really has friends who want to sit there and practice openings or mid-game situations with you, or play enough with you so that you can practice them.

i really enjoy games for that reason.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #30
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Winning Chess series by Yasser Seirawan (particularly Winning Chess Strategy and Winning Chess Tactics). Once you reach an intermediate level, I recommend How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman.

Silman is a great teacher. A couple more general book thoughts:

-Get a book on basic endgames. Something that can teach you the fundamentals will make a big difference in your playing strength.

-A general book on the openings will be fun to study and can help you decide what style of play you enjoy most.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #31
Bad-example
College Starter

And just for the hell of it, a chess-related murder.

Quote:
A suspect is in custody for using a sword to fatally stab a friend in Alameda, police said today.

Kelly Scott Kjersem, 40, was found dead inside an apartment at 1220 Park Avenue shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday, said Alameda police Lt. Bill Scott.

The suspect, Joseph Wilson Groom, 62, who lives at the apartment, was found next to Kjersem, Scott said.

Groom admitted to stabbing the man during an argument and was taken into custody without incident, police said.

The two men had been drinking beer and playing chess while a female friend cooked quesadillas for them, Scott said. For some unknown reason, the men began arguing and wrestling, and Groom went into a bedroom, got a sword with a 21-inch blade and stabbed Kjersem in the stomach with it, Scott said.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I heard a chess-related story on the news this morning, too. Two high school kids in California were playing in some All-City Chess Championship or something, and the rival schools they represented had a bet on the outcome. There were a bunch of shenanigans, finally resulting in the kidnapping of one of the players. He managed to escape and play in the match, but lost anyway. The winning player had an ugly girlfriend.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #33
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

Haven't read the Silman book, but can heartily second the Seirawan recommendations.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think i first learned the basics out of a seirawan book fwiw
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #35
path12
Coordinator

I played him once in one of those exhibitions where he goes against 20 people at the same time. Kicked my ass, but seemed like a decent guy.

Haven't played for years. This thread is inspiring me.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I heard a chess-related story on the news this morning, too. Two high school kids in California were playing in some All-City Chess Championship or something, and the rival schools they represented had a bet on the outcome. There were a bunch of shenanigans, finally resulting in the kidnapping of one of the players. He managed to escape and play in the match, but lost anyway. The winning player had an ugly girlfriend.

FOFC has disappointed me -- I guess no one watched Saved by the Bell this morning?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #37
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I wonder if many people actually pay for commercial chess programs anymore? The two strongest chess engines in the world, Stockfish and Leela Chess Zero are open-source freeware programs that can be played on just about any free GUI such as Arena. Their current ELO's are over 3800. They destroy the few remaining commercial programs like Fritz.

Stockfish 14 - Stockfish - Open Source Chess Engine

Leela Chess Zero
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #38
QuikSand
lolzcat

drat, this obvious spammer account was set up years ago and is therefore immune to my "one click ban and clean" button, sorry guys
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote