Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #1601
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sure, I definitely think that's the flip side of the same coin. I just think it should be as much as possible about the accomplishments or lack thereof of a particular year's players.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #1602
Galaril
Pro Starter

Notre Dame DC announced as the next coach and is the smart move.

BREAKING NEWS: Marcus Freeman is the new head coach at Notre Dame - One Foot Down
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #1603
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I really thought they would wait for Luke Fickell.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #1604
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I really thought they would wait for Luke Fickell.

Oh why do that, when you can just hand the keys over to a guy that's never been a head coach at any level of football.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 12-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #1605
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

For all we know they talked to Fickell and he told them to shove the job. Or maybe not, just sayin that we don't know if they tried.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #1606
GrantDawg

It really didn't look like Fickell was playing hard to get.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #1607
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oh why do that, when you can just hand the keys over to a guy that's never been a head coach at any level of football.

At, like it or not, one of the elite programs in the country. Maybe this is all part of the plan to weaken Notre Dame so they can get pulled into a conference in a decade

Tho Hanlon's razor suggests they're just morons

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-01-2021 at 08:07 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #1608
JPhillips
General Manager

I think it would have been worth it to wait until the playoffs are set. If the committee screws Cincy I expect Fickell would be looking to move.

But I've read that the admin really loves Freeman and sees him as a good culture fit. We'll see.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #1609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ask Memphis basketball how that sort of thing works out.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #1610
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

If the target is to compete for a national championship against the S3C teams what do they have to lose ? They are already getting spanked everytime they get into the playoff. Freeman is credited with the last two very good recruiting classes and the players appear to like him a lot more than Kelly.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-01-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #1611
HerRealName
College Prospect

Fickell and family are such a great fit for Notre Dame that I'm surprised they aren't waiting the extra few weeks regardless of the short term implications. I think Freeman is a really good coach and he should do well but Fickell and his wife are the ultimate Catholic coaching poster models.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #1612
tarcone
Coordinator

Missouri promoted their DC who was a good coach and the players loved. They tanked under that guy and he is now the DC at Arkansas.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #1613
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Could it be a money thing? Despite the big name, they don't seem to pay their coaches all that much. Kelly was making some patry numbers early in his tenure.

Guessing its a mix of reluctance to wade into the current coaching carousel with the huge contracts being given out. And some arrogance that they are Notre Dame and its a privilege to coach and play for them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #1614
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Missouri promoted their DC who was a good coach and the players loved. They tanked under that guy and he is now the DC at Arkansas.

Barry Odom. They can have his ass back.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #1615
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone

Some coordinators are best staying as coordinators. Others can be outstanding HCs. One failing doesn't mean another will or won't - I mean, every great HC still had a point in their career when someone gave them a chance to do it when they hadn't before.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #1616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Could it be a money thing?

That thought crossed my mind.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #1617
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Nah, I've seen that movie already and the horrid sequels. Give me Cincy and Okie Lite.
This is silly. ND in the playoff lost to 3 really really good teams. If they make it in as #4 & lose to Georgia it could be 4, but just because 2 loss A&M wasn't the one allowed to lose doesn't mean anybody else would have done better.

I have half joked with my Michigan friends that a Georgia/Michigan/Cincy/ND playoff means at least one of us actually gets a semifinal win hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
At, like it or not, one of the elite programs in the country. Maybe this is all part of the plan to weaken Notre Dame so they can get pulled into a conference in a decade

Tho Hanlon's razor suggests they're just morons

SI
I expect more than this from you SI 😉

I've said the "whole time" (36 hours?) that I don't love the idea of a 1st time HC at ND, but Fickell was the only one I thought was a home run, timing made it awkward, and if they got the sense he might say no (waiting on OSU if Day leaves to the Bears?) I'll take Freeman. Lower floor for sure, but I also think his ceiling is higher than Matt Campbell or Pat Fitzgerald, it keeps recruiting classes intact & even Tommy Rees (who I don't love) staying on as OC should help because there's a little continuity on the offensive side.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #1618
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Tommy Rees (who I don't love) staying on as OC should help because there's a little continuity on the offensive side.

Why would anyone want continuity with that offense though?

A year from now he'll be replaced in order to take heat off the HC.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #1619
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
That thought crossed my mind.
Ehh, I doubt it's a money thing. BK may have left or not given us the chance to match because he didn't think we'd pay the $$$, I 100% didn't want Urban Meyer but not taking a shot may have been a money things, but I very much doubt a Fickell turned us down because we weren't paying enough, or Campbell/Fitzgerald would have.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #1620
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Why would anyone want continuity with that offense though?

A year from now he'll be replaced in order to take heat off the HC.
Was the offense bad? The O-Line sucked to start the year compared to ND standards, and it's debatable how much was Hieland leaving vs on Rees, but the O seemed fine 2nd half of the season.

I'm not a Rees Stan, but he's not Tony Elliot over here & given the DC being promoted to HC situation I don't mind bringing him back. If he sucks & Freeman plays that card in a year or two so be it, but given all the parts & timing it makes sense.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #1621
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I will add on to the 1st time HC thing that I think so much of college success now is being able to teach this year's new QB the offense quickly, and idk if Freeman can recruit/teach/delegate that effectively, but seems worth it. At least it'll be a breath of fresh air not rooting for a douchebag haha

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-01-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #1622
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Dola Dola I also can't blame them because I didn't anticipate it, but it's clear the early signing period NEEDS to be at least a week past the actual end of the season/title games.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #1623
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I expect more than this from you SI ��

I've said the "whole time" (36 hours?) that I don't love the idea of a 1st time HC at ND, but Fickell was the only one I thought was a home run, timing made it awkward, and if they got the sense he might say no (waiting on OSU if Day leaves to the Bears?) I'll take Freeman. Lower floor for sure, but I also think his ceiling is higher than Matt Campbell or Pat Fitzgerald, it keeps recruiting classes intact & even Tommy Rees (who I don't love) staying on as OC should help because there's a little continuity on the offensive side.

Well, we don't know football very well at Kansas, so go easy on me and I look at this with a more basketball mentality.

If Bill Self were gone tomorrow, I don't want to hear our AD say something ridiculous like "We're staying in the family and our next coach is Jon Scheyer/Hubert Davis". I want the best coach for the job, "the family" be damned. At a blue blood program (which Notre Dame definitely is), I should be calling up successful power five coaches who haven't jumped to elite programs and see which ones actually have interest. For KU, I would have started with guys like Chris Beard prior to this year (hell, I probably still make that call) or guys who probably aren't leaving but you have to ask like Tony Bennett or Jay Wright. Then you start looking at people like Matt Painter, Chris Holtmann, or Chris Mack who have had consistent success, even if not elite, at P5-level schools. Then, even if they fail by your school's standards (i.e. miss the tournament or never make it out of the second round after 5 years), your program hasn't fallen too far and there may be better prospects next coaching cycle.

Now a bit of this is messed up because the silly season this year is downright silly with so many jobs open. I'm not sure what name I put to this list beside Fickell. I already mentioned that Campbell has had a lot of shine taken off his star this year. Fitzgerald is interesting, but only if you think he can recruit nationally. Northwestern is such a weird job. But I'd still take one of those over the coordinator gamble. That's not to say Freeman won't be a good coach - but he has to go prove it somewhere else before I turn over my blue blood to him. He may be really good but with never having been a head coach, the floor is really low and that's too dangerous to me.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-01-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:42 PM   #1624
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I also can't blame them because I didn't anticipate it, but it's clear the early signing period NEEDS to be at least a week past the actual end of the season/title games.

This. I think some people are underestimating how much waiting costs due to that with the whole 'wait for Fickell' approach. Waiting can cost just as much as hiring the wrong coach in the current environment. That's not a situation that encourages good decisions, but it is what it is. Waiting means handing everyone else a recruiting advantage that will reverberate for several years. You just can't have uncertainty about the coach at a major program this close to the signing period.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:05 AM   #1625
GrantDawg

Kirby Smart first and only Head Coaching job is Georgia. It can work with the right guy.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #1626
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kirby Smart first and only Head Coaching job is Georgia. It can work with the right guy.

'course, Kirby was at Bama basically as long as Freeman has been coaching period.

He won his first Ass't of the Year award a year before Freeman became a graduate assistant at Ohio State.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #1627
GrantDawg

Quote:
'course, Kirby was at Bama basically as long as Freeman has been coaching period.

He won his first Ass't of the Year award a year before Freeman became a graduate assistant at Ohio State.
Sure, and I am not saying Freeman=Kirby. Freeman might be a complete bust, but he might not. Hiring cordinators are always a more of a gamble, but they can at times pay off.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-02-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #1628
spleen1015
Coordinator

All HC were first time HC at one point. Some were never even coordinators and they turned out to be good HC.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #1629
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
All HC were first time HC at one point. Some were never even coordinators and they turned out to be good HC.

Of course. But your first shot at HC isn't usually at one of the blue bloods of college football. That said, I'm not saying it can't work. Lincoln Riley, Ryan, Day, and Kirby Smart are all making it work right now.

SI

Old 12-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #1630
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Of course. But your first shot at HC isn't usually at one of the blue bloods of college football. That said, I'm not saying it can't work. Lincoln Riley, Ryan, Day, and Kirby Smart are all making it work right now.

Each of those examples had quite a bit more experience coaching than Freeman when made a head coach. Day 17 years, Smart 17 years, Riley 14 years, and 2 of the 3 were Broyles winners several years prior to their promotion.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #1631
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I swear this dude has been at Nebraska longer than Saban has been at Alabama. How does he have any eligibility left?!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #1632
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

He's a junior. Still has the extra 'Covid' year of eligibility. First season was 2018. So ... he just hasn't been there that long
Old 12-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #1633
Ksyrup

Well, based on the comments to that tweet, I'm one of many who had the same thought. Was there a previous QB with a similar name or something?

EDIT - YES! Taylor Martinez. That must be why it seems like he's been around since before Jameis was at FSU.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-02-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #1634
tarcone
Coordinator

Adrian Martinez The Jordan Bohannon of college football

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #1635
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe Nebraska should just rename their QB position to Martinez.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #1636
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Kirby was at Bama basically as long as Freeman has been coaching period.

This is a good point, but I still think it makes the decision murky. I.e., if you think Freeman is potentially a great HC but not ready yet, do you hire someone like Fickell from the outside and then watch as Freeman goes on to be an excellent HC at some other program in a few years? Hire a 'program manager' type who hopefully will just not have things fall off a cliff until Freeman is ready? Or do you hope Freeman can 'grow into' the job and take the chance, particularly when by all accounts they have a lot of support from players etc?

It's definitely a risk, but I think any approach is a risk if you think Freeman has what it takes.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #1637
Ksyrup

Saw a tweet that said Bronco Mendenhall is stepping down after Virginia's bowl game.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #1638
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Saw a tweet that said Bronco Mendenhall is stepping down after Virginia's bowl game.

Bronco Mendenhall to step down as Virginia Cavaliers football coach
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #1639
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If this isn't named The Oprah Bowl and they don't hand out The Participation Trophy to the winner, there's really no justice in the world.

One-time bowl game added to this college football season's lineup to accommodate all 84 bowl-deserving teams, document says
Old 12-02-2021, 10:10 PM   #1640
Atocep
Coordinator

This is hilarious.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:28 AM   #1641
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

82 (63%) teams being bowl eligible just seemed like the perfect amount. Adding two more though, boy that's just over the top....
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:55 AM   #1642
GrantDawg

Quote:
If this isn't named The Oprah Bowl and they don't hand out The Participation Trophy to the winner, there's really no justice in the world.

One-time bowl game added to this college football season's lineup to accommodate all 84 bowl-deserving teams, document says
All college bowl games are participation trophies.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #1643
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The creation of the playoffs and the expansion of the bowls has taken away whatever luster bowls used to have.

I still like them b/c they are on TV during the Christmas/New Years time when you sometimes find yourself at some function and, hey, there's a TV here and, like, Boise St. is playing Kansas in the GoDaddy.com bowl, and that's more interesting than whatever else is going on here right now.

I always seem to catch a very very random game or two every year.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 12-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #1644
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is hilarious.

Fie - am - lee

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-03-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #1645
Ksyrup

Old 12-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #1646
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #1647
cuervo72
Head Coach

So I've been looking at bowl predictions trying to figure out where Purdue might land (partially trying to prognosticate to see if my wife will actually be able to see it with work). I've read some places that they can't go to the Music City bowl because of B1G agreements which say a team can't go to the same bowl within a certain number of years (that was their last bowl, where they were completely obliterated by Auburn).

At the same time, I have seen "experts" slotting them for...the Music City Bowl. So, is this a rule or not?
Old 12-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #1648
cuervo72
Head Coach

dola: College Football News even predicts a rematch against Auburn! I mean, is this people just being lazy?
Old 12-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #1649
Swaggs
Coordinator

Country Fried Brian Kelly has been one of the best things to come along in awhile. I kind of hope he embraces and will keep it up, but he seems pretty narcissistic, so who knows where this will go.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #1650
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
All college bowl games are participation trophies.

Ready for the National Championship game tomorrow?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote