JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You have to much time on your hands
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Who the McHell McEats McChicken McNuggets?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Actually that seems like it probably only took him 5 seconds to figure that out
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

what about the other scam? You know, the one that when you eat at McDonalds, you die?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Prices vary depending on where you live.

Going from one side of town, to another in a large city it should even be different.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
10 chicken nuggets= $3.09

4 chicken nuggets= $1.00

Get 12 nuggets and pay less!!!!

Actually, its pretty common to have issues like this in restaurants. I have to run through a million mental calculations in Long John Silver to figure out the best deal..

Although, my favorite is McDonalds 2/$1 pie special although, if you order one it is .79 cents.. go figure.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Get the chicken selects instead. Dem nuggets are parts of chickys.

Better yet, get some Hooter's boneless hot wings.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Although, my favorite is McDonalds 2/$1 pie special although, if you order one it is .79 cents.. go figure.

Isn't that how deals usually work? You buy more and you have to pay less???

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang

and what's wrong with that deal? 2/$1 = 50 cents each, i.e. better than 79 cents...

FM
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dang, Jeebs, in his usual manner, beat me to the punch... bah

FM
Old 06-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mizzou: No can Hooters on 30 min lunch break.

The time it took was literally seconds. I didn't even know you could get 4 nuggets until the guy in front of me ordered four. I looked at the price and after taking off my shoes so that I get to twelve I bought three four packs.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sometimes, this sort of thing is just an honest test to see exactly how stupid the customers are. It can be a useful benchmark when you're trying to set prices to have some idea to what degree people are even paying attention.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #14
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Same thing at Burger King, for anyone interested.

5 tenders = $.99, 8 = $1.99.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #15
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
and what's wrong with that deal? 2/$1 = 50 cents each, i.e. better than 79 cents...

FM
My favorite sales pitch that always seems to work is when stores offer something for sale in multiples - like 5 for $3, or 8 for $5. Most people only need 1 or 2, but they end up buying 5 or 8, even though the price per item is exactly the same. I used to get a kick out of that when I worked at a grocery store during summers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-20-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #16
Ksyrup

Burgers, lattes and CD burners

McDonald's flagship eyes techies

OAK BROOK, Illinois (AP) -- Just outside its wooded headquarters campus, McDonald's Corp. is offering sneak previews of its fast-food future.

Now playing at its new flagship restaurant: Digital-media kiosks for burning CDs, downloading cell phone ring tones and printing photos. Dozens of plasma-screen TVs. Wi-Fi Internet access. New chicken sandwiches. Double-lane drivethrus. And an adjoining McCafe with gourmet coffees, fancy pastries and a fireplace.

Coming soon: Other menu items and concepts not yet released to a general audience.

Don't expect Starbucks-like makeovers like this one at the 13,600 U.S. McDonald's, or 30,000-plus worldwide; the Oak Brook restaurant, which opened late last month, doubles as public restaurant and test site. But the world's largest restaurant chain is tinkering with various possibilities in technology and design to try to ensure it is a hangout of choice in the future.

"It's unlikely you'll see this exact restaurant replicated," McDonald's spokesman Bill Whitman said. "But you will see elements of this restaurant in some of our new construction. It's all about keeping our restaurants more relevant for our customers."

McDonald's has undergone an image change in more ways than one since a time 21/2 years ago when its sales and reputation were sagging amid complaints about its service and food. Despite inconsistent results in some large European countries, that McSlump is no longer: Same-store sales have increased for 25 straight months in the key U.S. market.

The company reported first-quarter operating income was up 6 percent to $910 million and revenue rose 9 percent to $4.8 billion over the same time last year. Its stock price nearly tripled over a two-year period, hitting a four-year high of $34.56 per share in March, but has since settled around $29.

Snazzier new restaurants are part of the makeover; about 1,000, mostly older U.S. McDonald's have been either renovated or rebuilt since 2002. Contributing more to the sales resurgence, though, have been longer hours, accepting credit and debit cards, the high-powered "I'm lovin' it" marketing campaign and pricier new food items.

Some of the additions, such as salads, white-meat chicken nuggets and fruit options with Happy Meals, have served the dual purpose of enabling the company to state a commitment to a healthier, balanced menu while bringing in new customers who aren't there for the hamburgers.

McDonald's now hopes to attract more patrons with amenities that might entice them to come in and stay awhile.

Analyst Peter Jankovskis thinks the extra investments to try to make McDonald's restaurants hangouts are worthwhile, noting that they have worked not only at Starbucks but at Panera Bread and other chains.

"It used to be that a chance to eat burgers and fries with your friends was enough," said Jankovskis, director of research at Oakbrook Investments in nearby Lisle, which owns a million shares of McDonald's stock. "Now it takes a little bit more than that."

The sprawling new Oak Brook facility is now McDonald's main company-owned restaurant for test concepts, replacing one inside corporate headquarters itself.

Retro is absent here; there's no traditional red mansard roof or giant golden arches, and the two-story stone and brick building has a more understated look.

There's nothing subtle, though, about the double-lane drivethru attracting a steady flow of SUVs and mini-vans. McDonald's draws 60 percent of sales from drivethrus, so it's a good bet the number of restaurants with two lanes will be increased from its current U.S. total of fewer than 100.

Inside, repairs to the digital-media centers reduced geeks to gawkers as the restaurant filled at lunchtime on a recent day. When working, the BlazeNet machines allow customers to search a library of 40,000 songs and create a custom CD for 99 cents per song. Other kiosks let them surf the Web, print out photos in six seconds or get ring tones instantly.

The machines' high cost may preclude them becoming a regular sight at McDonald's. But with a trial in Germany having gone well, Whitman said there's a possibility the company will install some at other U.S. restaurants.

One popular item here that's set to be exported elsewhere is premium chicken sandwiches on wheat rolls, which the company says will be introduced across the United States later this summer.

Less certain is the fate of the McCafe, the gourmet-coffee lounge concept late CEO Charlie Bell introduced in Australia in 1993 when he was in charge of that region. Currently there are more than 300 McCafes internationally but only five in the United States four in Raleigh, North Carolina, and the one in Oak Brook.

McDonald's plans to introduce more premium coffees later this year, but at its traditional restaurants. Whitman said no big U.S. expansion of McCafes is planned.

Morningstar Inc. analyst Carl Sibilski said all the new concepts reflect McDonald's stepped-up effort to please young adults particularly 18- to 24-year-old men, the demographic "gold mine" for fast-food purveyors.

"If you want to drive same-store sales you have to target your message to your most profitable customers," Sibilski said. "That explains the TV screens ... and the hipper advertising. They've made it OK (for young adults) to go to McDonald's again. It's not just someplace they went as a child.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #17
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
10 chicken nuggets= $3.09

4 chicken nuggets= $1.00

Get 12 nuggets and pay less!!!!

Ooooooooor if you wanted 20 chicken nuggets, you can save $1.18 just by ordering 5 of the 4 nugget packets. You'd be dead after you ate them all, but you'd still save money!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #18
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Once, long ago, my friends and I pooled our orders and money so that one of us - The Chosen One - could walk up to the counter and order 80 McNuggets with a straight face.

In the end, it was a little less thrilling than we'd hoped. And then we had to eat them all.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Once, long ago, my friends and I pooled our orders and money so that one of us - The Chosen One - could walk up to the counter and order 80 McNuggets with a straight face.

In the end, it was a little less thrilling than we'd hoped. And then we had to eat them all.

you cooky kids.

Nothing worse than pulling into a McDs and seeing 3 buses parked in the lot.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #20
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Kind of like when the grocery store sells a 24-pack of Coke for $6.99, but 2 12-packs for $5. What's funny is the store was out of 12-packs, but wouldn't give me the 24-pack for the same price as the 2-for-$5. Had to get a rain check. WTF.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #21
Daimyo
College Starter

The article refers to Oak Brook, but it sounds like its describing the one in downtown Chicago (Ontario and Dearborn I think) as it has a McCafe, dual lane drive-thrus, and plasma TVs everywhere. Still, I can't imagine anyone but tourists goes to it with a Portillos right across the street.

Last edited by Daimyo : 06-20-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #22
KWhit
Coordinator

Saw Supersize Me a couple of weeks ago. I may never eat fast food again.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #23
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
If you need further incentive, read Fast Food Nation.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

The movie just lost all effect on me when a lot of the data that they quote is retracted (such as obesity dropping from the #2 preventable death to #7)
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
The movie just lost all effect on me when a lot of the data that they quote is retracted (such as obesity dropping from the #2 preventable death to #7)

That movie was such a load of crap.

"Eating fast food all the time and sitting on yer ass makes you fat."

Well no shit sherlock.

most of what they quoted in the movie was either exagerated or just plain wrong.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #26
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit

Wow. If you're that easily manipulated I need to start hanging out with you more.

I've read "Fast Food Nation". I've watched "Super Size Me." I've even worked in two fast food restaurants (Long John Silver's and Hardees). I still eat fast food every now and then.

It's all about moderation.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #27
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I only eat the McRib so I can have McDiarrhea.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #28
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
It's all about moderation.

Well, no kidding.

And I was speaking in hyperbole. It was a very well done documentary and gave me a lot to think about. And it has made me re-think my food choices quite a bit.

But the most disturbing stuff in the movie as a new father was the sequence about what is being eaten in our schools.

But let's end this thread-jack and get back to what's important in this thread - trying to figure out how Mustang doesn't understand that 2 for $1.00 is a better deal than 1 for $.79.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #29
Logan
Head Coach

According to an article I read for a marketing class a year ago, there was a study that showed how people were more likely to buy something that was "Buy one for $1, get one free!" than "2 for 89 cents."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote