Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

NFL Fines Detroit Lions $200K For Not Interviewing Minority Head Coaching Candidates

Is this right? If there's a guy out there that's available and he's the guy you're absolutely sure you want coaching your franchise, why waste everyone else's time? I understand the issue of race in all of this but this particular "transaction" shouldn't have fallen under that umbrella, so to speak, in my opinion.

Here's the Story

Last edited by MylesKnight : 07-25-2003 at 02:45 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
cmp
Pro Rookie

Detroit tried to interview numerous minority candidates. But none would accept the offer for an interview because they knew Mariucci would be hired as the coach. How is that Detroit's fault?

Last edited by cmp : 07-25-2003 at 02:28 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
mrsimperless
College Prospect

That is completely ridiculous.

Is the fine for specifically not interviewing an african-american coach, or is it just minorities in general? Would they have been ok if they had interviewed some hispanic, women or homosexual candidates?

I am of the opinion that all of this will straighten itself out over the coming years. Since the majority of the players now are black, as these men retire and decide to go into coaching we will see more and more of them becoming position, assistant, and then eventually head coaches.

But then perhaps I am just naive.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

This seems dumb to me. If you know who you want, why do you have to fake interest in somebody else?
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

SO how much do you think Dallas will get fined for doing the exact same thing?

Well, Dallas didn't even try to interview minority coaches with Detroit did...but anyway.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

BTW, the Detroit Lions weren't fined a thing....it was Matt Millen who was fined.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I just basically copied the Story Headline..
Old 07-25-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
CAsterling
High School JV

Ok, if they can do minority hiring on Coaches, then i want the same thing for the players.

As I remember the figures over 75% of the NFL players are black, this means that they are over-represented in relation to their percentage of the population and hence I want to see this addressed so we have a more representative group of players.

Or

Leave the frigging sport alone and let the people who run the sport, run the damn sport and hire anybody they want
Old 07-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai

Well, Dallas didn't even try to interview minority coaches with Detroit did...but anyway.

Actually, the Dallas and Detroit hirings shouldn't upset anybody. Both teams hired coaches with unimpeachable credentials.

However, I think a bigger deal should have been made when Minnesota, Jacksonville, Oakland, and San Francisco hired unproven white guys.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is utterly ridiculous, and I think everyone touched on why. Mooch was a proven commodity and everyone knew he'd be going there.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:10 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
However, I think a bigger deal should have been made when Minnesota, Jacksonville, Oakland, and San Francisco hired unproven white guys.
I think they should go after the team that did the most to damage minority coaches: the Bengals.

Seriously, who will be held accountable when Marvin Lewis hangs himself after week five?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:25 PM   #12
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble

Both Minnesota and Oakland promoted from within, so I really don't have a problem with that. Del Rio in Jacksonville seems like a good hiring. He did a good job in Carolina and is now getting a shot. How Dennis Erickson was the best coach for SF, I will never know, I still can't believe that one.

BTW, Mike Mularky turned down the Bengals job, Marvin Lewis was next in line.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #13
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelerFan448

BTW, Mike Mularky turned down the Bengals job, Marvin Lewis was next in line.
Well at least we know the Bengals tried to screw this one up as well. I think Lewis will be the man to finally get this ship righted.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:37 PM   #14
rexallllsc
Banned

What about equal-right signings? Should NBA/NFL rosters attempt to even the playing field for whites? How ridiculous. The more and more black assistant coaches, the more head coaching candidates, etc. You cannot make this move along any faster that it is.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The NFL policy is utterly and completely disgusting bullshit.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:06 PM   #16
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
The NFL policy is utterly and completely disgusting bullshit.

Nice to see a well reasoned, factual and non emotional argument, I don't think anybody can refute the facts you have raised
Old 07-25-2003, 05:09 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

"Actually, the Dallas and Detroit hirings shouldn't upset anybody. Both teams hired coaches with unimpeachable credentials."

I agree. Neither team should be fined. But since one team was, the other should since it did the same, if not worse, thing (not even attempting to go after a minority coach)
Old 07-25-2003, 05:09 PM   #18
j51
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai

Actually Jones did talk with Denny Green, it was a sham of an interview and everyone knew it.. but hey, he's a black guy and thats all that mattered.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 05:20 PM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is a perfect example of good intentions leading to bad results. The NFL owners needed to be pushd into giving blacks more opportunity, but a strict interview policy really won't accomplish anything. I think programs like the one where small college black coaches are brought to a NFL training camp are much more effective. I don't think its arguable that the NFL has not provided a reasonable level of opportunity for black coaches over the past decade, but this will likely just end up pissing people off without really solving the problem.

Of course the other side of me says that the NFL owners agreed to this, so if their employees can't follow the rules, screw em.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

"Actually Jones did talk with Denny Green, it was a sham of an interview and everyone knew it.."

If the NFL only knew all he asked Green was for some dog grooming tips...
Old 07-25-2003, 05:45 PM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I agree with the sentiments here -- that team business is team business. However, I wonder if Detroit is taking flak for this, because they passed up Marvin Lewis a couple years ago, to hire Marty Mornhinweg. But come on, haven't they suffered enough for that choice?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:11 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

If they had called in a few African-American candidates and sat them down for an "interview," and these people knew going in that the only reason they are there is because some new rule says they have to be, doesn't that do even more harm than not being considered at all???
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:12 PM   #23
Blackadar
Retired

I wonder if Millen can just refuse to pay. Even though it's a private enterprise, the NFL is not covered by the same antitrust exemption that MLB is. Is seems to me this is a pretty clear overstepping of the NFL as the Lions, as a private enterprise, can choose to hire anyone they want. Furthermore, Millen is not employed by the NFL. I know that he signs an agreement with the NFL, but this is out-of-bounds in both precedent and size.

If I were Millen and I had the owner's backing, I'd tell the NFL to stick it up their poop chutes and come and sue me. While the NFL can bar a player from taking the field, it'd be much harder to prevent the President of a team from working. What are they going to do, kick the Lions out of the league?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:24 PM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
What are they going to do, kick the Lions out of the league?

LOL
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:50 PM   #25
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Logan
If they had called in a few African-American candidates and sat them down for an "interview," and these people knew going in that the only reason they are there is because some new rule says they have to be, doesn't that do even more harm than not being considered at all???

I would think so, which is probably why they turned interviews down.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:55 PM   #26
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
What are they going to do, kick the Lions out of the league?

If I was the Lions, I wouldn't chance it. The Commish Paul looks like a guy who lives by the seat of his pants, SNAP, no more Lions and bumf*ck, Eygpt will somehow be put in the NFL North.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:09 PM   #27
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I thought the Lions were kicked out of pro football a couple years ago.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:10 PM   #28
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Tagliabue does have that look of a no-Bullshit kind of guy. I bet he could kick a lot of ass, for an old man...

Hey, who do you like in this matchup anyway, Tagliabue vs. Vince McMahon? I really think "Tags" would give him a serious run for his money.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 07-25-2003 at 08:17 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I doubt white players are underrepresented on NFL rosters in relation to their talent. I do think black coaches are severely underrepresented. There's the difference.

Come on. Does anybody really think black head coaches are properly represented on NFL teams? An interview rule isn't the best idea, but if it was in place, and the Lions didn't abide by it, then it's their own fault.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I heard the ACC is still looking for another team and have offered a spot to the Lions.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rum: Who gets last place, Duke or the Lions?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:14 PM   #32
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by larrymcg421
I doubt white players are underrepresented on NFL rosters in relation to their talent. I do think black coaches are severely underrepresented. There's the difference.

I don't.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:16 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Duke. They have basketball to fall back on. And besides, they have gotten used to saying "Duke: The Vandy of the ACC". I wouldn't want to deprive them of that.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Bullll-shit

The Lions fired their coach to hire one specific guy, this wasn't as if they were doing an open search for coaching candidates and only brought in white guys who knew the double super secret handshake of the white man for intereviews.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-25-2003 at 09:44 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:48 PM   #35
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

The rule is dumb. The Lions are dumber for breaking it. Everyone knows of the rule. Pick up some black guy off the street, interview him and hire the guy you always wanted.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:07 PM   #36
John Galt
Pro Starter

The fine was too small.

And analogies to the racial makeup of players are nonsense.

I could be longwinded, but most people don't read my long posts anyway.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:34 PM   #37
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
The fine was too small.

So you'd rather they gave interviews to minority candidates, even though they had no chance to get they job? Can teams only target coaches, firing their coach only because they intend to hire that specific coach, if that coach is a minority?

Also, would you rather have a team hire a white coach over a black coach because they believed that the one that was white happened to be more qualified, or a team hire a black coach over a white coach who they believed to be more qualified only because that coach is black?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 PM   #38
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rum: SO would that make the Lions the Miss. St. of the ACC? Personally I think the Lions would lose against Miss St, Vandy or Duke!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

"The fine was too small."

They shouldn't have been fined at all. They TRIED to interview minority coaches. None of them excepted to be interviewed. Tell me what the Lions were supposed to do. Keep looking for a minority coach to interview while another team somewhere could come up and sign Mooch? Please. It's a stupid rule.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #40
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It should be noted that Matt Millen went out of his way to be honest with the minority candidates that he attempted to interview. He could have easily 'got some black guy off the street and interviewed him', but whenever any candidates pressed him on wheter Mooch was the Lions' man or not, he said yes he was, and that he understood if they did not want to interview. Sherman Lewis was on the Lions' staff at the time, and could very easily have been brought in to do the token interview, but Millen didn't feel that was fair to Lewis.

It seems counterproductive to fine the one guy who wasn't being disingenuous to fine the one guy who was being honest throughout the hiring process. Contrast this with all the other above-mentioned teams, and you wonder what kind of message the league is actually sending. I can't argue the fact that Millen did not interview any minority candidates, but I can question why there didn't even seem to be any interest in at least investigating the other teams that hired white coaches in the off-season.

Finally, is it just me, but doesn't it seem like a conflict of interest to have any comittee that is handing out punishment headed by an NFL owner? Of course, Rooney is no longer the owner of the Steelers, but wouldn't the diversity comittee by better served by someone a little less partisan?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
The fine was too small.

And analogies to the racial makeup of players are nonsense.

I could be longwinded, but most people don't read my long posts anyway.

I swear... I hope that was a joke.

Anyways, when San Fran hired Mooch, what, 5 years ago, this would be a valid complaint. Since then, he's only proven himself to be one of the top five coaches in the league. It would be like having a theoretical physicist position open up with Stephen Hawking out on the market and given token interviews to canidates just to appease afirmative action.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:19 PM   #42
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Come on. Does anybody really think black head coaches are properly represented on NFL teams? An interview rule isn't the best idea, but if it was in place, and the Lions didn't abide by it, then it's their own fault.

You live by the quota, you die by the quota.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #43
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
I swear... I hope that was a joke.

Anyways, when San Fran hired Mooch, what, 5 years ago, this would be a valid complaint. Since then, he's only proven himself to be one of the top five coaches in the league. It would be like having a theoretical physicist position open up with Stephen Hawking out on the market and given token interviews to canidates just to appease afirmative action.

SI

A better analogy would be opening up a theoretical physicist postion with the intention of hiring Stephen Hawking, then giving others the impression they had a chance by giving them token interviews..

The Lions had no intention of searching for a head coach, plain and simple they'd wanted Mariucci and had for some time. I believe they'd tried to hire him when they ended up hiring Morningwig, but he didn't want to leave the 49ers.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:28 PM   #44
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

That seems like an awfully racist statement. It would be if I were to say that I though white people were better suited to coach football, so then what's the difference in saying that someone who's black is better suited to play fooball?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:31 PM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe they'd tried to hire him when they ended up hiring Morningwig, but he didn't want to leave the 49ers.

Yep... they wanted Mooch sooo badly, that when he refused, they took his offensive coordinator!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:38 PM   #46
QuikSand
lolzcat

Aren't there separate arguments happening here?

I know, I know - you all hate the policy. That much is clear.

But isn't there arguably a separate issue in this instance -- isn't the issue at hand whether the current policy, that teams are bound to follow, was violated? And if so, was the punishment appropriate?

Try to make room in your mind for this possibility. One might argue at the same time:

-it's a bad policy
-the Lions violated the policy and deserve punishment for that

I don't know enough about the case to know if the second part of this is true... but it's at least possible, isn't it? Or do you just hate the policy so much that you can't even allow the possibility that these two ideas can sit side by side?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:39 PM   #47
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
That seems like an awfully racist statement. It would be if I were to say that I though white people were better suited to coach football, so then what's the difference in saying that someone who's black is better suited to play fooball?

Didn't Jimmy the Greek get canned from CBS many years ago for making the same observations about blacks -- how they were "bred to play football better?"

Obviously a pretty stupid statement. Personally, I want the best players playing regardless of their skin color, and I want the best coaches coaching regardless of their skin color. If that player is black...no problem....If that coach is white...so be it.

This is just another example of PC madness taken to its petty extremes.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 07-25-2003 at 11:40 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:47 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Aren't there separate arguments happening here?

I know, I know - you all hate the policy. That much is clear.

But isn't there arguably a separate issue in this instance -- isn't the issue at hand whether the current policy, that teams are bound to follow, was violated? And if so, was the punishment appropriate?

Try to make room in your mind for this possibility. One might argue at the same time:

-it's a bad policy
-the Lions violated the policy and deserve punishment for that

I don't know enough about the case to know if the second part of this is true... but it's at least possible, isn't it? Or do you just hate the policy so much that you can't even allow the possibility that these two ideas can sit side by side?

I'm in the opposite camp of the one you are implying. I think the policy is a good idea, but it should not be interpreted in a black and white, right and wrong context as it was in this case. There is some room for grey here and this is one of those cases.

The policy is just but it was applied inappropriately. The intention of the Lions was not to keep the old boys club around and only hire a bad white coach because he's white. They saw one of the best coaches on the market and made a beeline for him. The intent was clearly not racist so why fine them for being as such.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-25-2003 at 11:48 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:04 AM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm the same as sterlingice. I think its a good policy in general, but in this specific case, I think it stinks to high heaven. I think the NFL should have looked at the circumstances in this case to realize the team wasn't screwing over minorities. In fact they didn't interview minority coaches in order NOT to screw them over (giving interviews just to satisfy a requirement is seriously screwing with someone).
Old 07-26-2003, 12:45 AM   #50
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think this is another reason why the NAACP has lost the vision of it's original intentions. Before it was about destroying racism, now it's about enhacing racism to keep all of their lawyers employed.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote